Forum Settings
Forums

Overly Specific & Stupid Food Rules/Etiquette

New
Jun 12, 9:59 PM

Aug 2022
Remembering all the stupid rules Italians have about food made want a thread on this subject. A lot of people are probably aware of the weird Italian eating rules and their reasoning of "because you just don't", but what are some less know rules from other cultures you guys know about?

Some people in Chicago will throw an exaggerated, performative poop-fit if you ask for ketchup on a hot dog. "We don't do that here!" Why not? "We just don't! A real Chicago hot dog don't have no ketchup on it!" Well, I'm not from your third-world hellhole, I'm just here on business, and that "Chicago" hot dog that was probably made in a factory a thousand miles away from Chicago anyway. I don't want you to bury it with olives and tomato slices and watercress pesto and whatever else you lunatics put on it, I just want ketchup and mustard. If you had half as much pride in Chicago as you pretend to when someone orders a hot dog the wrong way, your city might look less like Mogadishu.

A few else that come to mind:
- Eating Pizza with a knife (NYC)
- How to cut cheese (France)
- Sprinkling cheese on seafood (Italians)
- Having the "correct" glass for your type of Beer (Germany)

Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Jun 13, 12:08 AM

Sep 2016
Eating sausages with one's fingers.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 13, 10:13 AM

Dec 2015
I don't think there's such thing which would piss me off, besides one thing which happens often in Italy/Greece [known tourist places]. When you're in a group and only one person wants to eat pizza than they'll tell you to gtfo...
From what I know you'll get quite "nice" responses if you'll ask for Ketchup for your pasta or pizza in Italy, aswell as if you'd ask for espresso in the evening.

The one thing which I like - In some restaurants in mountain area or in other countries, you might get for free a Śliwowica [Slivovitz] or Cold Tomato Soup [Tomato shot, appetiser, they do that in some Greeks restaurants]
Jun 13, 10:18 AM

Jul 2017
I don't really know the reason why those overly specific food rules exist, but it does seem like the people who are overly strict with their city or country’s food rules tend to have immense pride in their city/country, culture, and biases. It could be a tribal reason or historical reason, or maybe they just want to preserve their regional foods and culture as much as possible. Some locals might take things a bit too far by trying to enforce their specific food rules onto others, and that can indeed be quite baffling.

That prideful tribalism is also similar to how sports fans choose what team to cheer for purely based on where they live. Personally, I can’t relate to their way of thinking that much, but I am a fan of regional foods.
Jun 13, 3:00 PM

Jul 2021
There was one teacher in elementary school who was really upset about me having my fork in my right hand and the knife in the left.
Jun 13, 5:58 PM

Mar 2008
You forgot about New Yorkers demanding their pizza is floppy and has to be folded.

I think I heard it's considered bad in Japan for someone to eat while walking. If true I could understand if they are making a mess or not watching where they are going but what's the big deal?
Jun 13, 6:25 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
No farting at the dinner table. I'd rather not get up mid-meal.
Jun 13, 6:36 PM

Jun 2016
I've never seen anyone under the age of 50 obey the rule of "no elbows on the table", and I never seen them saying grace unless their parents forced them to.
Jun 14, 2:50 AM
Nov 2019
-Eating with both hands simultaneously
-Avoid using left hand for eating food (even if you are a lefty). Though this stigma has gone down somewhat
-Having chutney in various food items. I don't like adding it all the time to my snacks and if I refuse it, the shopkeeper gives me dubious stares lol
Jun 14, 7:07 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to traed
You forgot about New Yorkers demanding their pizza is floppy and has to be folded.

I think I heard it's considered bad in Japan for someone to eat while walking. If true I could understand if they are making a mess or not watching where they are going but what's the big deal?
@traed is New York pizza actually any good though?
Jun 14, 7:28 AM
Dec 2022
Bad ways of holding chopsticks. They can be eye sores to me.
Jun 14, 10:45 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr
I havent had one while in New York so I dont know.
Jun 14, 11:19 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr

The second best in the world! Nothing more, nothing less.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Jun 14, 11:49 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to MalchikRepaid
Bad ways of holding chopsticks. They can be eye sores to me.
@MalchikRepaid What about asking for a fork in Chinese restaurants?
Jun 14, 11:55 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to JaniSIr
There was one teacher in elementary school who was really upset about me having my fork in my right hand and the knife in the left.
@JaniSIr
Despite being a right-handed, I learned to cut meat with my left hand for some reason. Nowadays, people seem to care less about those table manners.
Jun 14, 12:31 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Ezeved-kun
@JaniSIr
Despite being a right-handed, I learned to cut meat with my left hand for some reason. Nowadays, people seem to care less about those table manners.
@Ezeved-kun I'm also right handed, and it just makes sense to hold the fork in my more dexterous hand. And nobody else ever really cared about this, except like one waiter, who noticed me swapping it, and did the table for me swapped the next time.
Jun 14, 2:10 PM

Jun 2019
Cultures that force you to eat with your hands. Hopefully I never have to visit the incriminated countries...
Jun 14, 8:03 PM

Aug 2022
Reply to Meusnier
Cultures that force you to eat with your hands. Hopefully I never have to visit the incriminated countries...
@Meusnier Based and Futurist Pilled

Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Jun 14, 8:11 PM

Jan 2009
no idea here in a poor country we still sometimes eat with our bare hands no spoon and forks
Jun 14, 8:24 PM
Dec 2022
JaniSIr said:

Forks are fine in Chinese restaurants outside of China and Asian countries where there is a noticeable Chinese presence. By the way, Chinese style chopsticks are relatively easy to learn. It's the Korean style chopsticks (metal and super flat) that are the hardest to master.
Jun 15, 1:50 AM

Jun 2024
Can I break pasta in half, or will I get hunted down by Italians...?
To the dumb question, "Why me?", the cosmos barely bothers to return the reply, "Why not?".
Jun 15, 1:05 PM
Jun 15, 1:42 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to MalchikRepaid
JaniSIr said:

Forks are fine in Chinese restaurants outside of China and Asian countries where there is a noticeable Chinese presence. By the way, Chinese style chopsticks are relatively easy to learn. It's the Korean style chopsticks (metal and super flat) that are the hardest to master.
@MalchikRepaid I know it's easy, I've been using chopsticks constantly for many years.
Flat chopsticks sound horrible, needing to hold them in a specific way would be very annoying I presume.
Jun 15, 8:17 PM
Dec 2022
JaniSIr said:
@MalchikRepaid I know it's easy, I've been using chopsticks constantly for many years.
Flat chopsticks sound horrible, needing to hold them in a specific way would be very annoying I presume.

Korean style flat metal chopsticks strain the thumbs of users at first for almost a year. That's all I can say.

That being said, Korean cuisine is like the boss level for Asian foods at least in North America. The taste profile is so different from Chinese and Japanese cusiine.
Jun 15, 11:18 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to MalchikRepaid
JaniSIr said:

Korean style flat metal chopsticks strain the thumbs of users at first for almost a year. That's all I can say.

That being said, Korean cuisine is like the boss level for Asian foods at least in North America. The taste profile is so different from Chinese and Japanese cusiine.
@MalchikRepaid I tried cooking Korean one, didn't go well
Jun 15, 11:39 PM

Nov 2015
Not really a rule or etiquette, but i got shit for eating dried sardines in the backwater town i grew up in. Had to leave the cafeteria with my lunch and go to the principals office because the lunch lady thought it was some kind of gross-out prank. I’m sure I wouldn’t have had any problems if I just alternated between pb&j and pizza like 90% of my peers
and i guess

that i just don't know

More topics from this board

» Im contemplating my lawn.

vasipi4946 - 36 minutes ago

1 by Mayahuel »»
3 minutes ago

» UEFA Euro 2024 - General Discussion

dazedcowcow62 - 2 hours ago

7 by Daconator »»
21 minutes ago

» What Compliment Do You Hear Most Often?

ParisPlayboy01 - Yesterday

18 by Fancyjasper »»
49 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

862 by dazedcowcow62 »»
3 hours ago

» Biggest life hot takes? ( 1 2 3 )

Rabnawaz2 - Jun 15

127 by DigiCat »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.