Forum Settings
Forums

Disney Anime Chief: More "Acceptable" Expressions Are Necessary for the Wider Market

New
May 17, 2:46 PM

Jan 2009
Disney's head of anime says that while Japanese storytelling remains constant, some more acceptable expressions may be necessary to avoid offense. https://www.cbr.com/disney-anime-acceptable-wide-market-audience/

thoughts? capitalism is maximizing profit anyway so obviously they want to appeal to more customers globally
May 17, 2:52 PM

May 2019
What do "Acceptable Expressions" even mean, does it mean less exaggerated and super deformed art ?

May 17, 2:56 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to tchitchouan
What do "Acceptable Expressions" even mean, does it mean less exaggerated and super deformed art ?

@tchitchouan my first thought is less controversial anime because of the key phrase "avoid offense"
May 17, 2:58 PM

Apr 2024
Maybe, but CBR is just a click-bait content mill. I wouldn't trust anything they have to say about anything.
May 17, 3:02 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Anime is about to become woke trash. Think about it. Japan's economy has hit the shitter and things are only getting worse. Many studios feel pressured to bend the knee to foreign inverstors' demands in order to stay afloat. And since around 2021, anime has started to make more money from overseas audience than from japanese audience (this trend is still continuing btw).

Every star in the sky is telling us that a big shift (for the worse) is coming to the anime industry. It's truly over for us. But at least the manga market will still be full of perverted stuff we all love, at least for the foreseeable future, so that's something.
May 17, 3:07 PM

Jul 2013
Who cares? Disney sucks btw...they are truly woke imo...
May 17, 3:21 PM

Mar 2021
deg said:
Disney's head of anime says that while Japanese storytelling remains constant, some more acceptable expressions may be necessary to avoid offense. https://www.cbr.com/disney-anime-acceptable-wide-market-audience/

thoughts? capitalism is maximizing profit anyway so obviously they want to appeal to more customers globally

Disney seems to be overlooking the fact that most modern Users who even stream Anime in the West largely rely on piracy to consume it. Then when it comes to specifically China, a vast majority of Japanese Anime has basically been banned from the country in 2021 where if Disney was to try to cater to a Chinese audience they would further alienate large sums of fans that have been devoted to Japanese Anime as a medium for decades. Disney would be better off doing nothing when it's obvious the industry is doing well enough as it is. Like if you see some operation working good as it is why would anyone want to disrupt it and suddenly make changes to try to squeeze off just a little more profit? That's simply just greed at work and Disney is simply propagating a propaganda campaign to justify any meddling they plan to do when they try to influence something that doesn't culturally belong to them in the 1st place.

There are tons of Anime franchises I am sure Disney would just love to get their greedy hands on but too controversial as is for them to currently touch.
ColourWheelMay 17, 3:27 PM
May 17, 3:26 PM

Feb 2017
if this another global standard idea, then it's impossible.
What country A think it's fine doesn't mean country B think it's fine too and vice versa, remove both then left nothing.
-
-
May 17, 3:40 PM

Sep 2018
Reminds me of the concept of acceptable horny. Such woke stuff should be gatekept out of Japan like the baka gaijins pushing for these changes. These wokalizers are sadly tax funded so capitalism can't work its magic to implement go broke on the woke.
May 17, 3:50 PM

Apr 2024
Here is idiotic otaku culture and demographic crisis threatening to destroy anime in the East, and woke liberal propaganda that destroys everything beautiful in the West. Apparently, Disney aims to succeed in degrading both Eastern and Western art. According to their lovely woke liberal agenda, anime made by westerners is a cultural appropriation, and they should simply fuck off.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 17, 4:03 PM

Jun 2017
"I don't think any major shift has been made," Yahata said. "The fundamental storytelling, the precision of the action, etc. have not changed, but there may be a shift toward adopting more acceptable expressions. To be seen by many people, expressions that do not hurt or mislead people are a given. That is not a negative thing, but perhaps an evolution."

Now where have I read something like this before? Oh yes:

"We can bide our time, we can keep our thoughts in our hearts, deploring maybe evils done by the way, but approving the high and ultimate purpose: Knowledge, Rule, Order; all the things that we have so far striven in vain to accomplish, hindered rather than helped by our weak or idle friends. There need not be, there would not be, any real change in our designs, only in our means.”

May 17, 4:07 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Tirinchas
"I don't think any major shift has been made," Yahata said. "The fundamental storytelling, the precision of the action, etc. have not changed, but there may be a shift toward adopting more acceptable expressions. To be seen by many people, expressions that do not hurt or mislead people are a given. That is not a negative thing, but perhaps an evolution."

Now where have I read something like this before? Oh yes:

"We can bide our time, we can keep our thoughts in our hearts, deploring maybe evils done by the way, but approving the high and ultimate purpose: Knowledge, Rule, Order; all the things that we have so far striven in vain to accomplish, hindered rather than helped by our weak or idle friends. There need not be, there would not be, any real change in our designs, only in our means.”
@Tirinchas

Quoting Tolkien's "The Fellowship of the Ring", hilarious.
May 17, 4:09 PM
Apr 2014
Reply to tchitchouan

@tchitchouan look at your signature, then make her alter her position to not be sexually suggestive as well as adding more clothes in this case. I think that is one component of the idea of "acceptable expressions." There may be others like gore and heavy violence. Bro pretty much says that now that its online and streaming to everyone that they need to start making it with the worldwide audience as well as children in mind where as before when it was about dvd/bluray sales the idea was to produce content for the people that would buy them. Basically the usual idea of trying to make something that appeals to literally everyone. I think its implied that this shift has already happened to some degree mind you, and I don't really think anyone who has watched a notable quantity of older and newer anime recently would deny it.

A Japanese article on the matter if anyone wanted it. https://mantan-web.jp/article/20240428dog00m200014000c.html
May 17, 4:18 PM

Mar 2008
Here is the source
https://mantan-web.jp/article/20240428dog00m200014000c.html

machine translated using Google and DeepL for comparison. I have some parts missing for DeepL because I was using a third party front end and DeepL has some sort of limiter but I got most of it and Google seemed to do a better job in most cases.

It is really disheartening if this means an end to anime as we know have known it from Japan's poor economic situation and declining population and the corporate forces at work.
traedMay 17, 4:24 PM
May 17, 4:22 PM

May 2021
deg said:

If this dude cares so much about capitalism then STOP. FUCKING. CARING. ABOUT. OFFENDING. PEOPLE!

The whole reason people like anime and are willing to pay for it is because it actually has the guts to be unique, to not give a shit, to just tell a good story, to not censor itself

Remember what happened when Star Wars tried to become more inclusive? Remember when Marvel tried to become more inclusive? Remember when Scooby Doo tried to become more inclusive?

I'll give you a lil reminder...

💸
DigiCatMay 17, 4:26 PM
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 17, 4:27 PM

Sep 2014
I'm sure every anime creator are shitting their pants right now smh delete this thread please.
May 17, 4:27 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to tchitchouan

@tchitchouan
Pretty much what they mean is pushing esg
Making women look like men and sometimes fat
Making men effeminate (they still hate fat and ugly men)
Push homosexuality
Like the Pokémon go update in a design sense.
May 17, 4:39 PM

May 2019
Reply to rohan121
@tchitchouan
Push homosexuality
@rohan121 This is really bad, it's terrible in fact. Like the exact same thing that's been happening to Hollywood movies and AAA western games.
May 17, 4:56 PM

Jul 2013
It doesnt matter when NTHE will ultimately happen.
May 17, 4:57 PM

Jul 2021
Disney is pure evil, and a company that has released so many flops recently should not be considered an authority in any way.
May 17, 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to rohan121
@tchitchouan
Push homosexuality
@rohan121
You need help.

I have the actual article machine translated above but here is a snippet since you probably will refuse to read the context

When he says 'we' he means the industry:

"A few years ago, the North American market was growing. So we focused on storytelling in a way that would be popular in North America, and in Asia, a different genre was popular, and we as creators were also conscious of the fact that it was popular in Japan, North America, and Asia."

A few lines down later he says

"I don't think there have been any major changes. The fundamental storytelling and the precision of the action haven't changed, but there are some areas where people are adopting more acceptable expressions.'' In order to be seen by many people, it is natural to use expressions that do not hurt people or cause misunderstandings.This may not be a negative thing, but rather an evolution. When Videograms were the mainstay, there was a trend that only those who wanted to buy them should buy them, but now that we are distributing them to a larger market as a service that can be viewed by adults and children at any time, our awareness has changed. Things are changing.”

I'm wasnt sure what is meant by "expressions" here if he means words that convey a kind of bigotry or if he means artistic expression in general. Then I looked up the term and 表現 can mean expression but also mean representation (which seems to be the proper translation) so he is saying that certain groups of people should not be portrayed in an offensive manner in order to not turn away their money. I think he might specifically have in mind not making fun of foreigners because he thinks they will be too offended to want to consume the anime. Considering he named in part of the interview The Fable I don't think when he says children he means kids, there is literally criminal perverts in the show and gun violence. So seems he is just saying the industry has to be more universal instead of making shows for Japanese people and foreign anime otaku so the guy is just mislead on what people who watch anime the most actually want.
May 17, 5:48 PM
Jun 2021
I hope you will go bankrupt one day, Disney. Don't even DARE to touch anime.
The M-SHE-U has flopped TREMENDOUSLY, and now you want more of this SJW nonsense.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 17, 5:58 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to TheMechaManiac
I hope you will go bankrupt one day, Disney. Don't even DARE to touch anime.
The M-SHE-U has flopped TREMENDOUSLY, and now you want more of this SJW nonsense.
@TheMechaManiac Disney cannot go bankrupt, due to its enormous size btw...
May 17, 7:24 PM

Aug 2018
Appeal to the wider audience, cull "offensive" anime, lose dedicated fans, gain new ones, profit.
May 17, 9:09 PM

Feb 2016
deg said:

I think that means producing a variety of works so that each person will find something he is eager to spend money on.
その目だれの目?
May 17, 9:32 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Lucifrost
deg said:

I think that means producing a variety of works so that each person will find something he is eager to spend money on.
@Lucifrost
Ideally, but no mention of variety I noticed from the interview in translation in either Google or DeepL. Though of course they did make some errors in translation I managed to spot one they both made. Problem arises when that variety is attempted to be drawn from existing works and turning them into something else.
May 17, 9:33 PM

Feb 2020
I completely gave up on Disney a long time ago.
May 17, 9:47 PM

Dec 2021
Oh please, Disney-senpai, please save us from this nightmare of never ending, uninspired, seasonal isekai schlop!

KittenCuddlerMay 17, 10:17 PM
May 18, 2:07 PM

Jul 2016
Disney has an anime chief lol? Isn't that something.

More topics from this board

» Look at your Character Favorites and pick which one of these describes them best

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - May 30

47 by TheMechaManiac »»
15 minutes ago

» Does complexity made an anime better? And what is your favourite complex anime

niknasr - May 30

15 by Zarutaku »»
20 minutes ago

» Any other Retro Anime watchers only?

Iron_Leopard - May 30

26 by FanofAction »»
21 minutes ago

» Why do people "self-insert" with weak characters

Anjuro - Yesterday

21 by shin0by »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.