Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 8, 3:36 AM
Jul 2023
This anime has been the highest-rated on MyAnimeList for the past 4 months. Do you think it truly deserves to be the most highly rated among thousands of anime? Also, it's quite a recent release. What are your thoughts on this anime?,It reminded me of Violet Evergarden but with even better storytelling and a bit less emphasis on romance.
Mar 8, 4:11 AM

Sep 2016
If I got a dollar for every topic of this kind, I would be Scrooge McDuck by now.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 8, 4:32 AM

Aug 2020
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Mar 8, 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
no it's prolly just a fad like all recent anime that always seem to get famous for a month or so then forgotten cause they're pointless and uninteresting
Mar 8, 4:54 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to removed-user
no it's prolly just a fad like all recent anime that always seem to get famous for a month or so then forgotten cause they're pointless and uninteresting
@HeiKeiRei This anime has been on the 1st place for 4 months
Mar 8, 5:03 AM
Oct 2019
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion. (2)

Mar 8, 5:23 AM

Oct 2021
97653222333 said:
This anime has been the highest-rated on MyAnimeList for the past 4 months. Do you think it truly deserves to be the most highly rated among thousands of anime? Also, it's quite a recent release. What are your thoughts on this anime?,It reminded me of Violet Evergarden but with even better storytelling and a bit less emphasis on romance.

HeiKeiRei said:

It's actually quite good. It's refreshing compared to other shows. There aren't really shows you can compare to it tbh, at least I can't think of any. It contains many kinds of genres and brings them together very well. The art style is beautiful, the music is great, and the characters are interesting. Also it's very funny for me as a German to hear the names of the characters. Most of them suit their personalities pretty well. I haven't thought about it being this highly rated, but I can see why. If they don't mess it up, I'll definitely rate it a 10, because each episode was a pleasure to watch
Mar 8, 5:29 AM

Sep 2018
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion encouraging discussion about scores and rankings, which is forbidden even if it can be meaningful because (I assume) it may encourage vote brigading.

Frieren became the highest rated anime because it has the right mix of the contemplativeness typical of anime like Mushishi/Kino no Tabi/etc. and the action+comedy+drama typical of battle shounen, alongside above average production value of course. Unsurprisingly, those who strongly prefer one of these two sides will definitely disagree with Frieren being n°1 (too boring for those who only like battle shounen or just a worse version of Mushishi/Kino no Tabi/etc. if you hate battle shounen) but it wouldn't be there without both. Recency bias is always a factor but I feel like Frieren can keep its position for quite some time.
NirinboMar 8, 5:36 AM
Mar 8, 6:00 AM

Mar 2019
Frieren's good lol. Tbh I'm pretty happy its numeros uno. I was getting sick and tired of FMAB at the top (I love FMAB, but it aint number one). Real ones remeber when the top 10 was basically all gintama tho, that was the good old days.
Mar 8, 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
I think it's pretty boring but glad it took no 1 just to annoy the rating spammers who try to keep the other show there. They must really be cut up right now as their life is worthless.
Mar 8, 6:36 AM

Feb 2020
I don't really care which anime is #1. Top lists are overrated.
Mar 8, 6:39 AM

Oct 2018
Keiichirou Saitou saved anime with Bocchi the Rock and now saved it again with Frieren, well-deserved first place, too bad the strength of generic shounen with flashy animation will prevail.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 8, 12:07 PM

Oct 2010
it won't be no1 for long, fmab alchemists are already drawing an alchemic circle
Mar 8, 12:16 PM

Jun 2017
I absolutely adore it. Great writing all-around, I'm not done with it yet so I hope it keeps it up. But as someone who doesn't love fantasy or magic... it's superb.
Mar 8, 12:38 PM
May 2011
Sure. All being #1 on MAL means is that it has the highest average of user rating. It is not some objective measure of quality.
Mar 8, 12:42 PM

May 2021
I never watched fmab and I think Frieren is a good show so I don't mind it being the number 1. However, I don't mind it doesn't mean I agree. I don't think Frieren should be number 1, but it deserves to be at the top of the list.
Mar 8, 12:57 PM
Feb 2019
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion. (3)
Mar 8, 2:16 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to mafd12
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion. (3)
@mafd12 Where did I make a mistake,Why does this comment keep coming up?
Mar 8, 2:31 PM

May 2015
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion. (4)
Mar 8, 3:07 PM
Feb 2019
Reply to 9765
@mafd12 Where did I make a mistake,Why does this comment keep coming up?
@97653222333 Well, you might not now, so I'll tell you: mods close any close every thread related to score pretty much always, so it just a matter of time I guess.
You make some interesting points but better discuss it without mentioning score too much, or mods will axe it.
Mar 8, 3:14 PM
Feb 2021
I mean, it is pretty good. I definitely wouldn't place it at top 1 though, esp since the anime isn't what I was expecting when I read the premise. I was expecting a sadder show about Frieren dealing with grief now that all her friends are gone. This isn't at all bad though, and I like it far more than the other show sooo.
Mar 8, 3:32 PM

Jan 2024
The anime is actually so dead fr. It definitely doesn't deserve first place. It doesn't make sense because FMAB is a million times better than Sousou no Frieren yet it comes second in place. I know Part 2 of Bleach TYBW is in the top 10, i personally think Part 2 is probably better than SNF as well despite me not having watched Part 1 or 2.
Mar 8, 5:13 PM

Feb 2021
I'm laughing because this is like a big middle finger to all the FMAB fans. Not saying all of them are like that but I'm laughing at those that genuinely care about being on top.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Mar 8, 5:34 PM

Aug 2020
It's decent but i wouldn't put it in my top 200 anime.
Mar 8, 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to 9765
@HeiKeiRei This anime has been on the 1st place for 4 months
@97653222333 That's because it's still airing, once it finishes airing what I said will happen
Mar 9, 2:14 AM

Jun 2020
Souren? You mean that dude from Kara no Kyoukai? Yeah he's pretty cool
Mar 9, 5:55 PM

Aug 2022
I can't speak for the quality of the series itself.

Though I will say that if anything MAL is consistent with, is that for any new series that takes over the #1 spot, the user score would usually decline after its done airing. The question is by "how much?" and "how long will it take?" The current 9.15+ score would make it an attractive target of the "1/10 because its overrated" crowd.
Mar 9, 6:59 PM

Nov 2014
Casual anime watchers only look for good animation and they would rate it a 10.
Mar 9, 7:26 PM

Feb 2021
According to MAL it's "THE GREATEST ANIME OF ALL TIME" so forget everything else you ever watched, this is better than all of them.
Mar 10, 12:41 AM

Aug 2020
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion. (5)

But sure. Plenty of anime I like that are a 9 or 10 just get review bombed, so its nice to stick it to FMAB losers I guess. Dont really care about the fucking MAL score of all things beyond this one specific thing about MAL scores lmao.
Keep scrolling

More topics from this board

» If You Could Replace Any Anime Character With a Cat, Who Would You Choose?

KittenCuddler - Apr 1

18 by bucciest »»
21 seconds ago

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

30 by Zedlin »»
5 minutes ago

» Are there any crossover episodes that are actually good?

Anjuro - Yesterday

16 by zckfox »»
9 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - Yesterday

23 by Zedlin »»
10 minutes ago

» Are there any characters which you wanted to see more but were killed early, forgotten or the anime itself was too short?

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

14 by Zedlin »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.