Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 8:31 AM

Dec 2021
I truly hope Sumie gets the chance to meet up with Shizuma before she goes through with her plan.Anyways, Fujita is saving Kyoushirou from the trap Hiramatsu Buhei has set for him.

Intrigued to know more about the bad blood between the two, Fujita asks Kyoushirou why he is doggedly pursuing Hiramatsu.

Feb 25, 9:44 AM
Sep 2015
The cliffhanger has such a nice music. I really can't wait!
Feb 25, 12:15 PM

Nov 2011
The story get deeper and deeper, with many plot twists like in some Clavel's books. Didnt expect Bismark-san here thou :p
Feb 25, 6:12 PM
Nov 2023
@epiroogu you must be as old as me to remember James Clavel’s books! There’s a good mix of Taipan and Shogun in this show, and the animation style really works well. Nice to see an anime fan with good reading habits👍🏼
Feb 25, 9:39 PM

Jul 2008
All blonds are villains, remember that.
Feb 25, 10:57 PM

Jul 2021
This episode was amazing. it really broadened the canvas and also clarified a lot of things.

I did not expect to see Bismarck of all people. A deal between the pro-Shogunate domains and Prussia. The dilemma of ceding territory to a foreign power to win the civil war. The war ending prematurely, and the subsequent cover-up attempt by murdering the entire envoy. And the race for the gold that was "lost" from the deal.

Fascinating stuff. Also, it made Kyoushirou much more interesting and sympathetic.
Feb 28, 11:15 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@epiroogu you must be as old as me to remember James Clavel’s books! There’s a good mix of Taipan and Shogun in this show, and the animation style really works well. Nice to see an anime fan with good reading habits👍🏼
@FutoiOtaku Thank you, I'll take it as an compliment ;) The love for Asia had to be born somewhere.
Feb 28, 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
Bit weird the Christian archer is praying in front of a Buddha statue...practicing some sort of syncretism given the monk-doctor is part of the crew?
This is sure a packed episode with Kyoushirou's telling backstory to Fujita.
Hiramatsu Buhei started out as an "ally" of Kyoushirou's father Munenori, telling him to shut up his son upon accusing him of colonizing Japan.
WHAT???? BISMARCK IS IN THIS ANIME???? Oh shit a ruse to cede Ezo (now Hokkaido) to the Prussians, of course, he says lease at first to make it more palatable to the Samurai.
Both of their efforts are for nought as Aizu and Shounai lose, so now Hiramatsu Buhei has to sweep the mess under the rug by killing Kyoushirou's father. Britain being that involved with the Meiji government was exaggerated by the Prussians.
His eye, now scarred—a reminder of what he must complete.

Harikiri because he was supposed to kill Buhei, but the monk won't let him go without paying his debt to the ship.
Brandt is still in cahoots with Buhei. He was full of shit when he talked to Ohkubo episodes ago.
She didn't say her real reasons, her fiancé as a veteran of the war and now a cop must've seen a lot of blood on his own hands, too. Now Sumie who was in the Aizu domain thinks she must accomplish one thing; assassinating the statesman Ohkubo.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 3, 4:19 AM

Jul 2017
Fujita saving Kyoushirou and his conspirators, it looks like he and Hiramatsu Buhei has a feuding history.

In the past, Buhei, who hails as a foreigner for the Aizu Domain, in affiliation with the Kingdom of Prussia, he wants to help bring an end to the war in Japan, as quick and efficient as he could. Bringing Kyoushirou's father to settle with the Minister Bismarck towards the cessation of the Shounai Domain and bring in weapons, it was Buhei who plotted it all, bringing the Prussian army into the conflict. But before his son Ikegami could deal with him, the surrender to the British new government for both domains is less painful than submitting to the Prussian army, leading to the assassination of his father Munemori.

Kyoushirou being saved by an old priest and being made to work under them until he reaches to new land, even there, he is being targeted, and finds himself targeted by a bounty hunter. In the same manner, Kyoushirou getting out of jail and saving the lone Christian girl as well, he intends to get his revenge's worth on Buhei, though the same old priest stops him before comitting suicide and facing the bounty hunter once again. Together, these 4 people form Kyoushirou's band: himself, Gensho, Dario and Gu'en to take revenge on Buhei.

On Osanai's autopsy, Kyoushirou having two swords is not unusual, and he is literally wanted by everyone, even Buhei himself, who is now seen as a conspirator to the Ezo gold. And as Sumie relents on wanting to see Shizuma, Senri has her insights on El Dorado, which is linked to a ship. But now, everyone is going straight to the horse races at the Shokonsha shrine, where the next action will take place.

The most coherent and best episode thus far.
Mar 30, 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
Very kino episode. So many things happened. Fujita helping Shuragami's cause, Shuragami's backstory, even more details about the political intrigue happening during the Boshin war... And this dramatic cliffhanger ending! Next episode has a chance to be even more exciting than this one, haha. As for now, I consider ep. 7 as the best one so far.
Mar 30, 1:22 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to perseii
This episode was amazing. it really broadened the canvas and also clarified a lot of things.

I did not expect to see Bismarck of all people. A deal between the pro-Shogunate domains and Prussia. The dilemma of ceding territory to a foreign power to win the civil war. The war ending prematurely, and the subsequent cover-up attempt by murdering the entire envoy. And the race for the gold that was "lost" from the deal.

Fascinating stuff. Also, it made Kyoushirou much more interesting and sympathetic.
@perseii Agreed. We could learn a lot of information that made the whole plot clearer. Revealing that Buhei is a foreigner wasn't a shock for me, because he was blonde, and it was uncommon to see a blonde samurai in Japan, hah. What I liked more was learning more details about Shuragami's grudge towards Buhei. It made Shuragami's motives clearer, with adding depth to him and his personality.

I also didn't expect to see Bismarck featured in this show, haha. Same with a secret agreement between the Shogunate's supporters (well, some of them, who were doing it in secret, lol) and the Kingdom of Prussia. It was a nice surprise. I like seeing that kind of stuff in anime.
May 19, 8:24 AM
Dec 2020
this episode explained a few things but i still don't get who sumie wants to kill and why bc so far she's attepmted to assassinate at least five different people

'your cell was next to mine and they do say love thy neighbour' is a sick ass reason for saving someone's life
Jul 22, 7:38 PM

Oct 2022
I like Kyoushirou a lot more after this episode. A very interesting backstory, with Kyoushirou resisting the idea of letting 'foreigners' set foot on Japanese soil and even though that German Max was involved earlier I didn't think it was going to be the Germans attempting to colonize Japan by buying Ezo in exchange for weapons in the civil war. The Germans did support the Meiji government and they were the ones who trained their military in western tactics and sold them ships etc, helped them set up industry, and some could interpret- led them down the path of militarism and WWII. The Europeans used these sneaky tactics to trick leaders into selling out to them in exchange for help in their wars- but they could never colonize China nor Japan because both were too strong militarily to possibly be taken so easily.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 17

23 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 24, 6:07 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 10

10 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 24, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 3

11 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 23, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 4

10 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 22, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 3 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jan 28

16 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 21, 7:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.