Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 8:30 AM

Dec 2021
Shizuma over her trying to bag Koto. Shit man I'd do the same as well.

And Moriya... he said it. He'll kill him no matter what.

Feb 18, 10:24 AM
Sep 2015
It's nice to have a female character as a tournament winner!
Feb 18, 3:43 PM

May 2015
Between the abysmal animation and story thats gone completely off the rails, it's truly impressive how this manages to get even worse with each passing week.
billybubFeb 18, 3:56 PM
Feb 18, 9:19 PM

Jul 2008
Glasses assassin really gets around.
Feb 19, 3:07 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
It's hard to know whose side some of these characters are on since everybody is double crossing each other. No surprise that they started using the Gatling Gun since that was the go to automatic weapon in the Meji era.
Feb 20, 11:51 AM

Nov 2023
I'm confused...

Don't get me wrong, this is not the best show of the season, not by a long shot, but it was fine for what it was trying to achieve, and I even enjoyed it at times!
This episode though felt sloppy and rushed.
The end of the last one was already a bad omen, but this one tried to do a little too much, and thus failed at most of them.
Usually, episodes have an A plot, around which the story revolves. Adding a B plot can work if done well and some anime (like Kaguya-sama) even have a C plot.
In contrast, this one had:

• A plot: Yakuza Civil War
  • B plot: Officer Murder Investigation
  • C plot: "Spy Girl" (Kurogi, Senri) Temple Exploration
  • D plot: Ōkubo Economic Troubles
  • E plot: "Love Triangle" between the Main Character, "Samurai Girl" (Nakazawa, Koto) and his fiancé (Kanomata, Sumie)

I know now that the D and E plots are not as important as the other ones, but it's hard to tell in the moment. (C plot should probably be included too)
And certainly the presentation order and quick change of focus doesn't help. To prove my point, this is the order and time the plots are focused on:
00:00   01:30   04:30   05:00   06:45   08:50   09:30   12:40   13:10   14:50   15:10   15:40   17:40   19:15   23:05
      E       B       E       A       C       D       A       E       B       E       B       A       C       A

Sums:

• A: 10:45
  • B: 5:10
  • C: 3:40
  • D: 0:40
  • E: 2:50

There are 13 recorded focus shifts, with about 9 of them being abrupt scene changes to a completely different plot.
Also, assuming that Kyōshirō is the main focus of the episode (plots A & B), the accually important content takes up 15:55.
This means that 7:10 are "filler" (around 31% or almost a third of the episode!), about 5 minutes of which are in the first half of the episode.
I know that C, D and E plots will probably be addressed later, but my point is that they create an unnecessary buffer between the main focus of the episode, which forces the viewer to switch their attention to a different subject in a matter of seconds (ecpecially when there is an abrupt scene change) before doing it again not even 2 minutes later.
And it doesn't help that these plot points will reappear in the future (or so it seems), because that makes them not actual filler that can be safely skipped.

Even if the goal was to have 4-5 plots develop at the same time, a disadvantage of this approach is that all of them feel incomplete and faster than they accually are.
Combined with the fact that their developments where pretty rapid to begin with (I won't go into detail about that, this post is long already), it makes for a rushed feeling episode.

I think a better way to handle what we saw would have been to double the length of plot A by dedicating a whole episode to it and another to everything else or even sprinkling them in other episodes. This part of plot C especially, could have been better suited as a flashback shown before the rest of the plot, maybe with a small teaser in this episode at the end of the scene that we see at around 6:40.

TL;DR
In my opinion, this episode was mishandled. The content is not bad, but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. They focus on too many things at once and the pacing suffers for it.

P.S. Nitpick: "Harry Potter glasses guy" (Fujita, Gorou) is involved with everything, which makes him seemingly teleport all over the place (the events probably do not happen in a short time so he has time to travel, but it still looks off)
Feb 21, 2:27 PM

Feb 2012
Koto's just too good but I can see Shizuma intentionally not using his full power since he's dedicated himself to finding Sumie. Since she has no intention of killing, he spills that he is an officer in the tournament to investigate the police murders.

Not the afro cop! The main suspect now is Yakuza who assisted him against the Chindai, and with him filled with rage, Fujita has to step in.
As Shizuma lost, he's not good enough to be her fiancé but she recognises him enough to make him her apprentice.

The spy for the British who found the ship plans infiltrated some Buddhist sect made up of people who lost their place in society following the restoration. The Samurai are disgruntled, too and the issue with the gold will contribute to the uprisings, as Okubo fears.

Just when Sumie is informed of Shizuma's whereabouts, she sees his new master Koto with him and gets the wrong idea.

The blond-haired blue-eyed dude unmasks. Ikegami knows him as Hiramatsu Buhei (real-life Henry Schnell). Henry served as secretary and translator to the Prussian consul Max von Brandt with whom Okubo met in episode 4.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 25, 10:13 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to gorkthe134th
I'm confused...

Don't get me wrong, this is not the best show of the season, not by a long shot, but it was fine for what it was trying to achieve, and I even enjoyed it at times!
This episode though felt sloppy and rushed.
The end of the last one was already a bad omen, but this one tried to do a little too much, and thus failed at most of them.
Usually, episodes have an A plot, around which the story revolves. Adding a B plot can work if done well and some anime (like Kaguya-sama) even have a C plot.
In contrast, this one had:

• A plot: Yakuza Civil War
  • B plot: Officer Murder Investigation
  • C plot: "Spy Girl" (Kurogi, Senri) Temple Exploration
  • D plot: Ōkubo Economic Troubles
  • E plot: "Love Triangle" between the Main Character, "Samurai Girl" (Nakazawa, Koto) and his fiancé (Kanomata, Sumie)

I know now that the D and E plots are not as important as the other ones, but it's hard to tell in the moment. (C plot should probably be included too)
And certainly the presentation order and quick change of focus doesn't help. To prove my point, this is the order and time the plots are focused on:
00:00   01:30   04:30   05:00   06:45   08:50   09:30   12:40   13:10   14:50   15:10   15:40   17:40   19:15   23:05
      E       B       E       A       C       D       A       E       B       E       B       A       C       A

Sums:

• A: 10:45
  • B: 5:10
  • C: 3:40
  • D: 0:40
  • E: 2:50

There are 13 recorded focus shifts, with about 9 of them being abrupt scene changes to a completely different plot.
Also, assuming that Kyōshirō is the main focus of the episode (plots A & B), the accually important content takes up 15:55.
This means that 7:10 are "filler" (around 31% or almost a third of the episode!), about 5 minutes of which are in the first half of the episode.
I know that C, D and E plots will probably be addressed later, but my point is that they create an unnecessary buffer between the main focus of the episode, which forces the viewer to switch their attention to a different subject in a matter of seconds (ecpecially when there is an abrupt scene change) before doing it again not even 2 minutes later.
And it doesn't help that these plot points will reappear in the future (or so it seems), because that makes them not actual filler that can be safely skipped.

Even if the goal was to have 4-5 plots develop at the same time, a disadvantage of this approach is that all of them feel incomplete and faster than they accually are.
Combined with the fact that their developments where pretty rapid to begin with (I won't go into detail about that, this post is long already), it makes for a rushed feeling episode.

I think a better way to handle what we saw would have been to double the length of plot A by dedicating a whole episode to it and another to everything else or even sprinkling them in other episodes. This part of plot C especially, could have been better suited as a flashback shown before the rest of the plot, maybe with a small teaser in this episode at the end of the scene that we see at around 6:40.

TL;DR
In my opinion, this episode was mishandled. The content is not bad, but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. They focus on too many things at once and the pacing suffers for it.

P.S. Nitpick: "Harry Potter glasses guy" (Fujita, Gorou) is involved with everything, which makes him seemingly teleport all over the place (the events probably do not happen in a short time so he has time to travel, but it still looks off)
@gorkthe134th Wow that's an insanely detailed analysis.

I think it's not just this episode. Every episode had around 5 different things going on, and when the show decided to focus on one, it went through like 15 plot developments. If I looked away for 5 seconds I would've missed some relevant detail.

I like the fact that the show is trying to handle so many parallel storylines happening at the same time, so I think punting C/D/E plots to a different episode would make the anime less enjoyable. This could also further complicate the storytelling, trying to explain which part of which storyline happened at what point in time, in relation to other storylines and episodes; for one, they'd have to add more flashbacks, as you said.

I would prefer the show to still follow all the storylines in parallel like this, but slow everything down, so that "time passes more slowly" and each storyline has more time to breathe. It might feel like the plot drags a little, but I think it's better than people getting confused and losing interest.

Alternatively, they could have taken drastic action by outright cutting out characters and storylines. But that could have made the story less interesting.

It sure must be tough spinning so many plates... But I think they're mostly taking the right approach, they just need to slow down a bit.
Feb 26, 12:36 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to perseii
@gorkthe134th Wow that's an insanely detailed analysis.

I think it's not just this episode. Every episode had around 5 different things going on, and when the show decided to focus on one, it went through like 15 plot developments. If I looked away for 5 seconds I would've missed some relevant detail.

I like the fact that the show is trying to handle so many parallel storylines happening at the same time, so I think punting C/D/E plots to a different episode would make the anime less enjoyable. This could also further complicate the storytelling, trying to explain which part of which storyline happened at what point in time, in relation to other storylines and episodes; for one, they'd have to add more flashbacks, as you said.

I would prefer the show to still follow all the storylines in parallel like this, but slow everything down, so that "time passes more slowly" and each storyline has more time to breathe. It might feel like the plot drags a little, but I think it's better than people getting confused and losing interest.

Alternatively, they could have taken drastic action by outright cutting out characters and storylines. But that could have made the story less interesting.

It sure must be tough spinning so many plates... But I think they're mostly taking the right approach, they just need to slow down a bit.
@perseii tbh I was not in the best of headspaces when I wrote this, so some aspects are a bit overexaggerated.

In general I prefer more focused episodes, but it's true that this anime has handled it well before.

In particular, in episode 4, a lot of characters are focused on, which on the surface seems to be the same thing episode 6 does, but in reality they all contribute to either setting up the tournament or the opium transactions and eventual yakuza conflict we see in this one.

In contrast, in episode 6, all mentioned plots are (currently) unrelated to each other, with very few scenes to transition between them, which is the reason the pacing feels slow. (I also was a bit salty that they spent almost 3 minutes on plot E lol)

In conclusion, I saw the decline of the pacing and the animation and thought it was time to rant about it for a bit.
(btw I wanted to talk about the animation too, after I was done with the pacing comments, but I had forgotten it by the end)
gorkthe134thFeb 26, 12:39 AM
Feb 26, 1:02 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to gorkthe134th
@perseii tbh I was not in the best of headspaces when I wrote this, so some aspects are a bit overexaggerated.

In general I prefer more focused episodes, but it's true that this anime has handled it well before.

In particular, in episode 4, a lot of characters are focused on, which on the surface seems to be the same thing episode 6 does, but in reality they all contribute to either setting up the tournament or the opium transactions and eventual yakuza conflict we see in this one.

In contrast, in episode 6, all mentioned plots are (currently) unrelated to each other, with very few scenes to transition between them, which is the reason the pacing feels slow. (I also was a bit salty that they spent almost 3 minutes on plot E lol)

In conclusion, I saw the decline of the pacing and the animation and thought it was time to rant about it for a bit.
(btw I wanted to talk about the animation too, after I was done with the pacing comments, but I had forgotten it by the end)
@gorkthe134th Just to be clear, I mostly agree with your criticisms, about how it felt disjointed and rushed. I just had a different idea on how they could fix the problem, but I do recognize that it'd be really tough, and every approach has its pros and cons.

Speaking of pacing and scene transitions, I now realize that the episodes feel like they're just covering as much story as possible before simply "stopping". It's as if they made a 5 hour long movie and just cut them up in 25-minute chunks. There isn't much sense of closure or even a cliffhanger.

The previous episode ended with Osanai getting killed in what feels like an afterthought. And this episode began with the tail end of the sword tournament and ended with Shizuma running, after the big battle at the yakuza parley.

Maybe if it was a 5-hour long movie it would've worked better? It's definitely strange and a little disappointing.
Feb 26, 2:52 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to perseii
@gorkthe134th Just to be clear, I mostly agree with your criticisms, about how it felt disjointed and rushed. I just had a different idea on how they could fix the problem, but I do recognize that it'd be really tough, and every approach has its pros and cons.

Speaking of pacing and scene transitions, I now realize that the episodes feel like they're just covering as much story as possible before simply "stopping". It's as if they made a 5 hour long movie and just cut them up in 25-minute chunks. There isn't much sense of closure or even a cliffhanger.

The previous episode ended with Osanai getting killed in what feels like an afterthought. And this episode began with the tail end of the sword tournament and ended with Shizuma running, after the big battle at the yakuza parley.

Maybe if it was a 5-hour long movie it would've worked better? It's definitely strange and a little disappointing.
@perseii It is truly disappointing, especially because Historical Anime don't have the best of reputations.

I wanted to find a good historical show to expand my horizons but It seems my only option is Kingdom, which has 150 episodes and is still ongoing.
I was hoping to find a seasonal, 'cause that's what I find easiest to watch, but unfortunately this one didn't live up to my expectations.

Meiji Gekken is still a fine historical show; I will finish it and probably rate it 6-7/10 (except if it surprises us), but I feel like a lot more could be done with a Historical Anime.

(If you know any good historical shows that are more approachable than Kingdom, I'm open to suggestions)
(This discussion is getting a bit off topic though, so you should send it to my profile or something if you want to make one)
gorkthe134thFeb 26, 3:18 AM
Mar 3, 3:56 AM

Jul 2017
With Shizuma purposely losing his match to Koto, he knows that this is the end of his line...both for him in the Gekkenkai and Osanai in facing Kyoushirou, which Fujita stops Shizuma's approach to interrogating Kyoushirou.

With Koto accepting Shizuma as her apprentice, Kyoushirou went to win the Gekkenkai, and the Moriya Clan continued their opium exploits, though deep beneath, Kyoushirou has sowed the seeds of discord between rival clans Moriya and Fujishima. In the meantime, Mary encountering a priest cult, and the attack on Moriya Clan definitely caught them offguard, as much as Kyoushirou foils an attempt to assassinate him from the Crow.

As much as the temporal love triangle between Shizuma, his fiancé Sumie and Koto kinda exists, Osanai's case is brought off their hands, and it's clear that the Metropolitan Police Department has their hands sealed about Kyoushirou, which his exploits are being learned about from Fujita, and even Senri, who blew her cover finding gold. The meeting between Moriya and the Fujishima clans, Kyoushirou almost had Hiramatsu Buhei, and both him and his conspirators were saved by Fujita to get them out of the estate.

At the very least, this episode was straightforward.

@gorkthe134th try Heike Monogatari? That is also a historical anime, but better than this show in all ways.
But seriously, thanks for your analysis, because I couldn't be bothered to follow the sub-sub-plot other than the main storyline.

@perseii same feelings too. With every episode at different lengths (23 to 28 mins), it feels like every episode is a storyline that is commonly overstretched, and not in a good way.
Mar 29, 2:32 AM

Oct 2013
Oh no, Shizuma's fiancee misunderstood the situation when she saw him and Koto together. :( I thought she would approach him in this episode.

Woah, another episode with a spectacular ending. Everything is gonna become even more intense from now. The die has been cast for real.
May 19, 7:41 AM
Dec 2020
it's so hard to follow who's with who, we're shown nothing of the inner workings of any of these circles
i think the white-haired guy and his group are actually good but have to take extreme measures to kill the man-hunter guy
the metropolitan police is in some kind of alliance with them and helps them and keeps an eye on them at the same time through fujita
also is the terminally ill self-employed assassin the main guy's fiancé?

i'm really not sure i'm following, this is a huge mess

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 17

23 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 24, 6:07 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 10

10 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 24, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 3

11 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 23, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 7 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 25

12 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 22, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 4

10 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 22, 6:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.