Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 27, 2022 3:11 AM

Apr 2017
Lab_Rat_0978 said:
Otakun3000 said:

Sense of urgency, is when you have a show and you actually feel that the characters are on a threat. That is absolutely NOT required for a show to work, but considering the little this show has gave me as enjoyement, i believe that a sense of urgency, of fear, would be a cool thing to have. The fights have no urgency, you don't worry about the characters fates because you know everything can simply be fixed.

As i said, that is not required for a show to work (Overlord doesn't have that, but has a ton of other elements to work on), but when the show doesn't have substance, it is just a bare-bones journey adventure with "Lost" like mysteries to solve...

first of all,
it takes 6-7 volumes of executioner light novel just to finish the 1st arc,
the lore is a lot deeper than you think

the main objective in overlord is to conquer the world,
for no reason

I, still remember one of ridiculous things ainz did,
he insta killed and stomped almost millions of people with gigantic goats (the dark young) he summoned, for no reason

he's just laughing happily for breaking the game (yggdrasil) record

in most of isekai anime,

the MC dont really have legit objective, even iF they have one....its always casual without any deeper meaning
and they simply go along with the flow most of the time

similar thing happens to ainz's long lost twin brother,
arc the skeleton knight

but unlike ainz,
arc only does good things in the isekai world,
such as;
saving people in need
and
simply enjoying daily dose of elf and kemonomimi girls lol no more no less

meanwhile in executioner,
the MC menou has a legit job, a legit objective

the church have established the executioner system right after the 4 major human errors obliterated 1/3 the world's population a thousand years ago

as stated by pandemonium in episode 12,
they wanted to go back to japan so they sacrificed 1/3 the world's population in the process lol

the lost ones turned into public enemies no #1 since then.
nobody wants to take the risk anymore,
kill em all on sight no question asked

as result,

no more major human error popping up in the last a thousands of years,
the executioners legit make the world a better place for a millennium

i wasn't comparing the two, i just used Overlord as an example to counterargument my own argument.

All in all, i didn't consider this anime to be terrible. I had fun watching it. I just considered mediocre.
"it takes 6-7 volumes of executioner light novel just to finish the 1st arc,
the lore is a lot deeper than you think"
I didn't read the light novel. I watched the anime. The anime MUST BE ENOUGH because it is an adaptation. If you need external source to get/understand/have fun with it, the adaptation was badly made.
Jun 27, 2022 4:37 AM

Feb 2017
Otakun3000 said:
Lab_Rat_0978 said:

first of all,
it takes 6-7 volumes of executioner light novel just to finish the 1st arc,
the lore is a lot deeper than you think

the main objective in overlord is to conquer the world,
for no reason

I, still remember one of ridiculous things ainz did,
he insta killed and stomped almost millions of people with gigantic goats (the dark young) he summoned, for no reason

he's just laughing happily for breaking the game (yggdrasil) record

in most of isekai anime,

the MC dont really have legit objective, even iF they have one....its always casual without any deeper meaning
and they simply go along with the flow most of the time

similar thing happens to ainz's long lost twin brother,
arc the skeleton knight

but unlike ainz,
arc only does good things in the isekai world,
such as;
saving people in need
and
simply enjoying daily dose of elf and kemonomimi girls lol no more no less

meanwhile in executioner,
the MC menou has a legit job, a legit objective

the church have established the executioner system right after the 4 major human errors obliterated 1/3 the world's population a thousand years ago

as stated by pandemonium in episode 12,
they wanted to go back to japan so they sacrificed 1/3 the world's population in the process lol

the lost ones turned into public enemies no #1 since then.
nobody wants to take the risk anymore,
kill em all on sight no question asked

as result,

no more major human error popping up in the last a thousands of years,
the executioners legit make the world a better place for a millennium

i wasn't comparing the two, i just used Overlord as an example to counterargument my own argument.

All in all, i didn't consider this anime to be terrible. I had fun watching it. I just considered mediocre.
"it takes 6-7 volumes of executioner light novel just to finish the 1st arc,
the lore is a lot deeper than you think"
I didn't read the light novel. I watched the anime. The anime MUST BE ENOUGH because it is an adaptation. If you need external source to get/understand/have fun with it, the adaptation was badly made.

adapting 2 vol of light novel into 12 episodes is a golden standard for anime adaptation tho,
its neither too fast nor too slow.
there are still some exceptions tho,
for light novels that have almost 500 pg and more /vol

the executioner simply hasnt reached the most interesting part in the 1st arc and beyond
so people instantly think the lore is shallow and all, I can also see they're complaining about the lack of relevant male characters in the series, well....the story only started to introduce em vol 3 onwards

the executioner does have cool and badass male characters that aren't fodders lol
Jun 27, 2022 3:53 PM

Apr 2017
Funny because i didn't complain about that at all haha (the male characters thing)

What i'm saying is that, the source material doesn't matter. When you do a stand-alone show, that show must be enough on itself.

If you propose to do a 12 episode adaptation of something, that season must be enough for itself. Of course, it doesn't need to have a full plot, but it needs to have substance.

That's why it is called "adaptation". An anime adaptation doesn't need to REQUIRE the one watching it, to know ANYTHING about the source material.
"The interesting part only starts after that", well, a shame then. Because they had 12 episodes to make it interesting enough for people to go seek the source material and/or to prompt a second season.

And for me, at least, that didn't happened.

Jun 27, 2022 4:11 PM

Apr 2016
An all-around solid show. Menou is a solid and cool lead. Akari's alternate persona is interesting. The worldbuilding is fantastic. OP and ED are bangers. The only thing holding the anime back is occasional production and pacing issues.

Solid 7/10. I wouldn't mind more since I'm interested in Flare's motivations
Jun 27, 2022 9:27 PM

Sep 2019
Looking back... I think I rather watch Ex-Arms after all.
After this I think I'll be able to do it.
Jun 29, 2022 8:52 PM
Jan 2022
CGI for centipede girl is still alright I guess, and the ending is kinda rushed but not as much as Assassin Aristocrat ending fortunately. The thing I really like about this anime is sfx when they cast magic. Overall, somehow I enjoy this until the end. Mid 7/10 for me.
Jul 3, 2022 9:38 AM

Nov 2018
Hoping for a second season
Jul 4, 2022 7:00 AM

Nov 2019
I like most of the characters, I like the animation style, and I even like the direction the plot decided to go. And yet... I don't like the series as whole.

I can't even explain it. All the various elements I should be enjoying somehow manage to cohere into something totally off-putting.
Jul 9, 2022 9:31 AM

Jan 2020
The final battle with Pandemonium was pretty good, I was hoping Akari would reveal herself a bit though. At least showing off her powers in front of Menou if nothing else. That "Time Gun" seemed pretty neat. But, I was okay with their combined flaming slash too.

Well, it had a bit of a lull in the middle there, but this series turned itself around here at the end. For whatever reason it seemed like the anime struggled to get on its feet for the bulk of the season. However, I feel like there is a good amount of potential going forward. I don't know if it was popular enough to warrant another season, but I'd watch it if there was and I'd be interested in checking out the light novel.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 13, 2022 9:42 AM

Jan 2009
I think this had a ton of potential with just a few bumps along the way. Some weird pacing, felt very much like a jrpg with the way some of the exposition dumps were handled and some inconsistent animation, cgi etc...but overall I think there are way more positives to this show than negatives. I really enjoyed the characters (idk how anyone can call the characters edgy) , the lore, twists etc..I found the setting to be unique enough and I really enjoyed how the "isekai'd" were a threat to the world. I think there is a lot of content here to be a compelling series. I hope we get more of it, but either way it got me interested enough to maybe check out the LN series. Overall I would say a 7/10 from me.
Aug 17, 2022 6:03 PM

Jan 2013
First of all, this definitely needs a 2S! It's a good ending but it doesn't the main quest line, is it possible to kill Akari?
But it was really interesting to see this season, hope we'll have more..., especially after that ending.

So is Flare also going back in time? Or does she use Akari's power somehow? Since she says that she killed Menou a zillion times lmao omg
If we had a 2S confirmed, it would have been so much better...but we can hope.
7/8-10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 29, 2022 12:23 AM
Jul 2018
Oh wow, even Flare knows about the Pure Concept of Akari? Damn! She knows that the planet has memories stuff huh

Good show! 10/10, clapped like hard
Sep 10, 2022 8:54 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yikes 3dcg, to hell with that! But I'm not gonna lie feels entertaining with the pandemonium va. She's good at the scene...

Like i expect from a mile, pandemonium meet only a fraction of a very living adventure ahead. Good for them! The concept of power also being legit good so far, a well thought out material for me. But honestly its still lacking a better explanation, or maybe they just no need to spoofed it at all ... Then had some wrong guess with the plot flowing. However, overall, the anime still had it's moment to be interesting till the last minute.

7.5/10. Close it on 7, thanks to the 3g centipede xd...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 27, 2022 2:53 AM
Jun 2021
it was not good enough please dont make something like this
Sep 30, 2022 2:00 AM

Apr 2015
This had a nice premise but the adventure plot is strangely lacklustre
Perhaps because the MCs' goals are self defeating somewhat

Got the feeling that the the original world is more interesting than the isekai
Nov 11, 2022 7:26 PM
Aug 2022
good anime, some was boring though
Dec 1, 2022 8:15 PM

Sep 2007
Offkorn said:
I like most of the characters, I like the animation style, and I even like the direction the plot decided to go. And yet... I don't like the series as whole.

I can't even explain it. All the various elements I should be enjoying somehow manage to cohere into something totally off-putting.

Just got done watching the show on a friend's recommendation and I am of the same opinion. I like everything about the show on paper, each individual element is pretty good aside from some cheap animation in the first arc, but I just didn't have a good time.
Jan 8, 2023 8:18 AM

Jun 2019
My 216th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jan 23, 2023 6:19 AM

Sep 2016
Honestly, I really liked this. I want a second season to see where it goes with that Flare reveal at the end. Also, really enjoyed Pandemonium and Manon as villains, want to see more of them.
Feb 1, 2023 4:02 AM

Nov 2021
Ended up being yuri bait. (Never trust the labeling)

Pandemonium was the highlight of the series though
I'd be an edgelady apologist, if only I were sorry
Mar 21, 2023 6:41 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Wow, this final episode was better than I expected, but that’s this whole show for me lol. The final battle with Pandaemonium was pretty awesome even with all the CGI usage, Menou and Akari’s combined attack was sweet, Manon ended up coming back thanks to Pandaemonium saving her (and they’re sisters apparently lol) and the plot just got even more interesting with the Flare tease at the end, it looks like Akari resetting everything was part of her plan to do something regarding the human errors, and then there was Menou almost remembering something about her past and ended up pissing off Akari by playing it off lol. Like damn, it feels like we’re just getting started but this is where the anime ends, damn you read the source bait lol.

But with that, I’ve finally finished this show after almost 4 months and I hugely regret taking so long to get around to this one because I actually loved it, I so wish I coulda fit this in my Spring 2022 season but that one was so packed already so not much I could do there lol. But yeah man this fucking rocked, I know there were people salty early on in regards to our “Isekai protagonist” dying in episode 1 but that had the opposite effect on me and got me interested instead, I also know as the show went on people found Akari’s ditzy alter ego to be annoying but I personally found her really fun and hilarious in that state. This show really had it figured out when it came to the world and lore, it’s so intriguing and I thought it was drip-fed to us pretty well throughout the show, and of course I enjoyed all the characters too, Menou and Akari were a fun combo as was Momo and Ashuna. And lastly the art and animation was pretty damn good, very consistent too imo, JC Staff took care of this one.

And I can’t review this show without saying how phenomenal the OP and ED was, I saw someone say early on that this Mili OP isn’t as good as others by the group and I want to say you’re WRONG, this OP fucking slapped and the visuals fit it very well, and oh my god the ED is one of my favorites that I’ve heard, such a cool song, sounded very epic and mystical and fit the trippy yet beautiful visuals, I can’t say enough how much I loved the ED lol, ChouCho really made me a fan with this one. And with that, I guess that’s it for now, I hope very badly a Season 2 is made for this and it gets the same treatment as this season did, I really enjoyed this.
Apr 22, 2023 7:12 AM
Oct 2022
MC kills all humans just because they feel competitive and always have bad thoughts like Mitsuki who is Overpowered. So I really hate the MC for killing people with an empty head and the MC is just a tool for the church and that's really stupid. I think this MC has been brainwashed.
Apr 23, 2023 8:53 PM
Jan 2018
Looking forward to season 2
Jun 5, 2023 8:43 PM
Apr 2018
Pandemonium arc simply makes the whole series worth the wait on the slower first arcs
Jun 24, 2023 9:53 PM

Mar 2015
Really interesting concept, it's like an isekai cross between Shinsekai Yori, Madoka, and S;G in a way. I'll probably pick up the novels since the anime kept my interest.

Wijayakusuma said:
MC kills all humans just because they feel competitive and always have bad thoughts like Mitsuki who is Overpowered. So I really hate the MC for killing people with an empty head and the MC is just a tool for the church and that's really stupid. I think this MC has been brainwashed.

Did you just not pay attention? They explained clearly that lost ones can destroy the world if they use their concept too much. That's literally why Pandemonium exists in her current form. The four human errors were lost ones who lost their minds and almost destroyed the world.
My lists are way out of date...
Sep 19, 2023 9:06 PM

Sep 2021
The Pandemonium Arc was certainly the best of the 3 shown this season. And I bet it will only get more exciting! Hopefully this will get an adaptation one day. Otherwise, I'll defenetly go for Manga/LN.

Overall, this show is great. The characters have amazing depth and the mystery is thrilling. Not to mention it looks beautiful and has good OST. And it's incredibly deep and complex. Though is that actually good?

I'll get straight to the point. The one and only issue of this show is pacing. Similar to other shows (especially LNs) cut short by forcing 12 episodes, it could be very hard to follow at times. The adaptation itself feels solid. The producers certainly worked hard to get the best result possible over the limited episode span. But especially in the fight against Orwell, it was so tough to keep track of things. Time Traveling is already a tough thing to write and having a unique fantasy world only makes things harder. It was also pretty difficult to get a grasp on the magic system. And many characters, like Ashuna, really need at least 24 episodes to shine.

For the best part of the show, it was probably Menou's dilemma and making her decisions for the world. It was super investing and even though killing Akari is (from my current knowledge) 100% the right choice, I also feel how it gets tougher and tougher the better I get to know her. Manon was also a great, wicked villain. I'm glad there will be more about her in the future!

Oh, and the show obviously gets bonus points for killing of the self-insert!

9/10.
Dec 16, 2023 6:44 PM
Nov 2023
Well I hope that doesnt spread though, that shit looks scary af
Feb 13, 1:31 AM

Jun 2012
The concept of the anime is really good, an interesting take on the whole isekai hype train that is still going strong, even if it's more than a decade since some of the more known shows of the genre took the anime Fandom by 'surprise'.
It would've been a lot better if they showed the ruthless Menou a little more and after that they could've shown how much she changes after she met Akari and the struggle between wanting to kill her and letting her live, this is one of the things I would've liked to see, but it is what it is.
The power system is a good choice for the story, but the part where she has low reserves of ether (Chakra, nen, reiatsu, magic and so on), but is a master of using it is a trope that I like, even so I hoped that she had some sort of seal on her powers that her master put on her, but no, she just needs juice from her portable battery called Akari.
The main pair of the story Menou and Akari needed more time for the relationship to click a little more, it feels forced, even the 2nd pair Ashuna and Momo have more chemistry together.
In the near future I hope that MAL would change the scoring form, because this title is not a 6 nor a 7, it's in between, a 6.5.
May 17, 9:41 AM

Sep 2008
One angle with Pandemonium that baffles me: she has an unhealthy love for horror movies, making nods to the cliches of them, and wanting to play out plot scenarios within them. But how would she know what they are if the technology for them doesn't exist in the fantasy world that this series is set in?

Outside of that, a bit mixed in my thoughts of this. The idea behind the Lost Ones and Pure Concepts offers some engaging world building potential and story developments exposing the hypocrisy of those in influential positions wanting to exploit the powers of Pure Concepts for their own gain. But the characterization leaves much to be desired since many characters feel pretty cliched as far as personality and motives go, and the yuri element involving the main female cast having varying degrees of attraction to one another feels largely shoehorned in.
ggultra2764May 17, 9:47 AM
May 26, 3:36 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to ggultra2764
One angle with Pandemonium that baffles me: she has an unhealthy love for horror movies, making nods to the cliches of them, and wanting to play out plot scenarios within them. But how would she know what they are if the technology for them doesn't exist in the fantasy world that this series is set in?

Outside of that, a bit mixed in my thoughts of this. The idea behind the Lost Ones and Pure Concepts offers some engaging world building potential and story developments exposing the hypocrisy of those in influential positions wanting to exploit the powers of Pure Concepts for their own gain. But the characterization leaves much to be desired since many characters feel pretty cliched as far as personality and motives go, and the yuri element involving the main female cast having varying degrees of attraction to one another feels largely shoehorned in.
@ggultra2764 Pandemonium is a human error, so she's originally from Japan where movies are a thing. The revived Manon Libelle guesses Pandemonium is her older sister, because she mentions how much she loves movies, and her mother mentioned that she had an older sister who loved movies. Her mother would also have explained to Manon what movies are.
May 26, 6:57 AM

Sep 2008
Reply to LycorAxis
@ggultra2764 Pandemonium is a human error, so she's originally from Japan where movies are a thing. The revived Manon Libelle guesses Pandemonium is her older sister, because she mentions how much she loves movies, and her mother mentioned that she had an older sister who loved movies. Her mother would also have explained to Manon what movies are.
@LycorAxis Based on the mother's attire and Pandemonium being centuries old, was under the assumption the mother was whisked away during Japan's feudal era. I'm aware of Pandemonium being the older sister of Manon Lebelle based off what was covered in the final minutes of this episode. Just feels as if the horror movie fan component is a random addition.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2022

135 by Muow »»
Jun 6, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2022

108 by Muow »»
Jun 5, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2022

327 by Muow »»
Jun 5, 5:57 AM

Poll: » Who is your favorite character?

Shizuna - Apr 9

6 by R6exR6 »»
May 24, 6:46 AM

» Why do MAL not use the correct tags?

MathMols - Apr 10

7 by MathMols »»
Apr 13, 1:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.