Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you have plans in purchasing your own home?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 18, 2020 9:17 PM

Feb 2018
I can't answer Yes or No

But I would honestly say you need a house for when you're getting older and settling down, unless you plan to work 6-7 days a week (assuming one has an average income). Rental prices will probably skyrocket in the future because of overpopulation too, they're already suffocating now tbh and market prices are always changing crazily so everything is temporary.

Then there's, if you're renting for 10+ years, you could see it as you're basically paying off someone else's mortgage... while you still have no property after a decade or more.

When mortgage is paid off, you have so much surplus income too, and don't need to work as many days...

On the flip sound, owning property without being able to pay off the mortgage is also a trap.

It's mostly to do with aging and comfort, renting is fine while you're still fit and able because you can handle work more easier.

ArtreyuNov 18, 2020 9:20 PM
Dec 4, 2020 6:45 AM

May 2018
Why not stay at your parents house. Until I have a family of my own then I would consider moving out and save up to buy one

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Jan 20, 2021 1:57 AM

Sep 2020
I don't plan on owning property at all in the future. If I were to own property I would probably have to stay in the area for a while and I can't imagine myself doing that. Renting seems much better.
Jun 14, 2022 3:20 PM

Oct 2016
I already own one property but am hoping to build a custom home in the future.
Jun 14, 2022 4:37 PM
Dec 2010
This is something for the future. It's not like most houses here can be bought without another person like family or getting married.
I'm better focusing on other issues.

Other than that, renovation was taking place last month so I'm stressed out from it. Apparently, it's stressful as people said.

Butterfly_WhiteJun 14, 2022 4:41 PM
Jun 16, 2022 4:08 PM

Mar 2008
EyeAmTheI said:
traed said:
It's pretty stupid to buy a house when you can just rent one. You get all the benafits of home ownership without being tied down. Though tiny houses are alright because they tend to be movable like mobile homes.

It depends what kind of education you have. For me it is quite easy to work from home office, and actually I can do my jobs anywhere from the world. For eg. yesterday I just picked up my laptop with my mobile internet, and went hiking to a nearby lookout before the job, so I head a great view to the city while I was working. Also I have colleges all over Europe, even from US.

I didn't buy a house yet though, since the house prices are ridicoulus, also I didn't really decide yet, if I want to live in this country on the long term.

I don’t necessarily mean just jobs changing or something. Maybe someone just doesn’t like where they live anymore or wants to go elsewhere and that can be difficult when owning a house because the finances put into it and the time it takes to sell the house plus you pay property tax owning a house. Only advantage is it can be an investment but I dont like the concept of homes as an investment. The real estate market shouldn’t really be a thing ideally.
Jun 16, 2022 4:51 PM

Jun 2022
I responded no, with the caveat I've previously owned four houses (*separate houses at different times, we moved a lot). I'm renting now.

For me personally, I don't find owning a home all it's cracked up to be, if for no other reason than maintenance and the associated costs. I've done it, now I feel like I don't need to do it. Maybe in the distant future I'll change my mind.

Saving $10k-30k or taking out a loan for a down payment also just isn't feasible in my near future in my situation.
Jun 16, 2022 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
Renting out is better these days especially if you dont plan to have kids
Jun 17, 2022 4:21 AM

Mar 2008
EyeAmTheI said:
traed said:

I don’t necessarily mean just jobs changing or something. Maybe someone just doesn’t like where they live anymore or wants to go elsewhere and that can be difficult when owning a house because the finances put into it and the time it takes to sell the house plus you pay property tax owning a house. Only advantage is it can be an investment but I dont like the concept of homes as an investment. The real estate market shouldn’t really be a thing ideally.

It depends on quite a few factor. For example I earned about 40% (after taxes) on my purchace of my temporary house in less then 2 years (few years ago). Which I bought because it was cheap, and actually I liked the place but got bored, so I just sold it and moved on. However a house is not a good investment usually, but depending on the market it is usually better than to leave your money sitting in the bank. Especially if you doesn't have economy education. Also you know there are other reasons why people buy houses. For eg. the landlords can be problematic even if you are a "good" renter (I have a few bad experience with them). Additionally not everybody is enterprising.

What I had in mind as an alternative was more along lines of cooperative housing. Technically you own the house in such a setup but not only you own it or something along those lines. I don’t quite recall all the details how it works.
Jun 17, 2022 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
It’s all expensive here, so you decide which coffin you wanna lay in. Owning is not all it’s cracked up to be, with so many extra expenses BUT renting is literally insanely expensive too *clown face*.

Wish the Canadian government could at least take us out to dinner before they F*** us :’).
Jun 17, 2022 5:54 AM
Jul 2018
EyeAmTheI said:
_meimei said:
It’s all expensive here, so you decide which coffin you wanna lay in. Owning is not all it’s cracked up to be, with so many extra expenses BUT renting is literally insanely expensive too *clown face*.

Wish the Canadian government could at least take us out to dinner before they F*** us :’).

Yeah, it is really similar here as well. I mean if you have the capital you better of paying the loan (or mortage?) as to rent a apartment (not to mention a house). It is often cheaper here to pay the loan. That's why a lot of people think, "I'm better of taking a loan, since at the end at least I'll have something."
Yeah, definitely. There’s a few factors like the mortgage rate, how much is being put down, property taxes, if you’ll need to put work into the house upon moving in, unforeseen events or issues etc. o_o…. But I still think it’s better than renting, and honestly the rent prices are really high now so like you said, having something at the end of it could be worth it.

Edit: and not to mention, house prices are pretty high for what you’re getting :/
removed-userJun 17, 2022 5:58 AM
Jun 17, 2022 7:02 AM

Oct 2018
traed said:
It's pretty stupid to buy a house when you can just rent one. You get all the benafits of home ownership without being tied down. Though tiny houses are alright because they tend to be movable like mobile homes.

That is about the most uninformed thing I've read in days.

Lets see what renting gets you:
-A payment that costs $200+ more than a mortgage on a home of the equal value, and that is lenient
-A "security deposit", which the landlord will steal when you're on your way out.
-You have the option of getting kicked out if they dont renew the contract/sell the place.
-You dont have the right to fix what they procrastinate on fixing
-You get ZERO equity on the home if the market improves.
-You get ZERO networth from your payments.
-You get fReEdOm

That freedom must be real worthwhile to give up so much if its a voluntary thing.

edit: I own two houses, and it's made me something like $400k in value in the last 4 years, because I knew renting was a stupid idea. I'd have nothing but a $2,000 monthly rent if I went with renting.
"I am sure that you out of all people could never understand the feelings of someone who doesn't know what it feels like to make an effort." - Nanami, Katanagari
Jun 18, 2022 5:58 AM

Mar 2008
BlueEmbers said:
traed said:

That is about the most uninformed thing I've read in days.

Lets see what renting gets you:
-A payment that costs $200+ more than a mortgage on a home of the equal value, and that is lenient
-A "security deposit", which the landlord will steal when you're on your way out.
-You have the option of getting kicked out if they dont renew the contract/sell the place.
-You dont have the right to fix what they procrastinate on fixing
-You get ZERO equity on the home if the market improves.
-You get ZERO networth from your payments.
-You get fReEdOm

That freedom must be real worthwhile to give up so much if its a voluntary thing.

edit: I own two houses, and it's made me something like $400k in value in the last 4 years, because I knew renting was a stupid idea. I'd have nothing but a $2,000 monthly rent if I went with renting.

It depends on property taxes and rent rates where you live and as I explained in another post I don’t necessarily mean not owning at all but owning collectively so all the weight isnt just on you if you choose to move. Also sometimes you can live at places for free such as being a squatter which isn’t ideal for most people but for some it actually works out oddly enough despite being illegal but that depends on if where they live has squatter rights and if it’s some unoccupied place they wont be disturbed.
Jun 28, 2022 3:42 AM

Feb 2020
Yes, I'll be buying the house I'm living in currently off my Sister in about 6 months. It's a good enough size for me, probably not an ideal family home but... I think me having a family of my own is unlikely. It's much better than the last place I had - very little wrong with it, and moving/setting up utilities was so much easier. Still finding it odd that I'm living where I'm currently living (Town I mean), but I always liked visiting here in the past and I still like it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How old were you when your birthday stopped being special to you?

Jomfrey - 3 hours ago

7 by Pitto_ »»
4 minutes ago

» What to do in singapore?

k4rlo - Yesterday

12 by DigiCat »»
25 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

81 by GinIonSui »»
43 minutes ago

» I think we live in a super-deterministic universe.

purple_rayn - Jun 10

41 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread

DigiCat - May 22

44 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.