Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 5, 2019 2:55 PM

Jul 2009
The amount of times that games come down to "luck of the draw" is getting kinda ridiculous at this point. I enjoy the show and the concept of it but like...really? It's like the writer just doesn't wanna decide who the better players are so they always go with just making it a matter of chance. It's getting really old and boring to watch as a result of that, in my opinion. Thoughts?
Dec 5, 2019 2:56 PM

Oct 2019
Talim said:
The amount of times that games come down to "luck of the draw" is getting kinda ridiculous at this point. I enjoy the show and the concept of it but like...really? It's like the writer just doesn't wanna decide who the better players are so they always go with just making it a matter of chance. It's getting really old and boring to watch as a result of that, in my opinion. Thoughts?

Didnt last episode just say how "luck of the draw" is not about pure luck tho?
Dec 5, 2019 2:58 PM

Jul 2009
Fionavar said:
Talim said:

In terms of the game, sure. But as a plot point it's used wayyyy too much and makes the show a lot less interesting to watch. Like..the last episode had 2 luck of the draw situations in a matter of like 10 minutes. It's just..lazy writing.
Dec 5, 2019 3:00 PM

Oct 2019
Talim said:
Fionavar said:

In terms of the game, sure. But as a plot point it's used wayyyy too much and makes the show a lot less interesting to watch. Like..the last episode had 2 luck of the draw situations in a matter of like 10 minutes. It's just..lazy writing.

Not really the second match was basically there to explain that there are plenty of ways to beat the odds in a luck of the draw. It had a purpose. And without the loss in the first luck of the draw, the second match wouldnt have worked either.
Dec 5, 2019 3:24 PM

Jul 2009
Fionavar said:
Talim said:

Not really the second match was basically there to explain that there are plenty of ways to beat the odds in a luck of the draw. It had a purpose. And without the loss in the first luck of the draw, the second match wouldnt have worked either.

Um...yeah, you're missing the point I'm trying to make here. Yes there are ways to beat the odds in luck of the draw and whatever whatever. All I'm saying is I think it's very lazy to constantly RELY ON THEM for storytelling. Why not have some characters improve so much to the point where they completely decimate their opponent without it getting to luck of the draw situations in the first place? There are a few characters that are that good, sure, but the amount of luck of the draws there have been so far in the show..it's just getting boring and seems like very lazy writing by the author.
Dec 5, 2019 5:53 PM

Mar 2015
Talim said:
Um...yeah, you're missing the point I'm trying to make here. Yes there are ways to beat the odds in luck of the draw and whatever whatever. All I'm saying is I think it's very lazy to constantly RELY ON THEM for storytelling. Why not have some characters improve so much to the point where they completely decimate their opponent without it getting to luck of the draw situations in the first place? There are a few characters that are that good, sure, but the amount of luck of the draws there have been so far in the show..it's just getting boring and seems like very lazy writing by the author.

I don't agree. When two players are very evenly matched it's only logical that there is a very big chance that the match will result in a luck of the draw game. Especially since the player with the least amount of cards left on their side will have a lower chance of a card on their side being read. This results in the fact that the situation where both players have one card left is a very common one when evenly matched players play each other. Therefore 'luck of the draw' is a big part in the game of karuta and should be given enough consideration and be talked about enough in this anime.

Furthermore, it's not just that this has been happening to every other player. No, it has mostly been happening to Taichi. A very big part of Taichi's character is that he's always working extremely hard (maybe the hardest in the whole karuta club), but yet he never wins. He's always extremely close to winning though. This makes many people in the anime think that he's just very unlucky. This is not the case. He's missing something as a player. I'm not quite sure what it is, maybe he's playing to methodically, without using his instincts. Harada-sensei sees that too, and is showing him that it's not just bad luck that makes him lose, it's the lack of some kind of skill. This is perfectly illustrated by making Taichi lose (or even win) that many times in 'luck of the draw' situations.
Dec 5, 2019 7:39 PM

Jul 2009
Tenbun-kun said:
Talim said:

I don't agree. When two players are very evenly matched it's only logical that there is a very big chance that the match will result in a luck of the draw game. Especially since the player with the least amount of cards left on their side will have a lower chance of a card on their side being read. This results in the fact that the situation where both players have one card left is a very common one when evenly matched players play each other. Therefore 'luck of the draw' is a big part in the game of karuta and should be given enough consideration and be talked about enough in this anime.

Furthermore, it's not just that this has been happening to every other player. No, it has mostly been happening to Taichi. A very big part of Taichi's character is that he's always working extremely hard (maybe the hardest in the whole karuta club), but yet he never wins. He's always extremely close to winning though. This makes many people in the anime think that he's just very unlucky. This is not the case. He's missing something as a player. I'm not quite sure what it is, maybe he's playing to methodically, without using his instincts. Harada-sensei sees that too, and is showing him that it's not just bad luck that makes him lose, it's the lack of some kind of skill. This is perfectly illustrated by making Taichi lose (or even win) that many times in 'luck of the draw' situations.

I get what you're saying but it still seems like a cheap way to draw out the story and develop characters imo. Doesn't mean it's not good entertainment, of course; it's just not the top quality anime that I'd have hoped for.
Dec 6, 2019 3:38 PM

Dec 2018
I don't follow Karuta in real life, so I can't tell if it's really an overused plot or not. However, the assumption that it's common just because it happens a lot in the anime doesn't feel right.

Talim, I believe that, unless you find someone who follows Karuta in RL or do an extensive research yourself, you may not find a satisfying answer to your question...

Imo, the 'luck of draw' has been used both as a plot device to create tension and also as a mean to teach the players something they lack. It doesn't bother me as much, nor cheapens the story, but I agree that sometimes it feels like there's too much. Sometimes it also feels like Suetsugu didn't want to decide which character was stronger or that specific characters could not lose in terms of ability, so losing because of luck could be an acceptable justification. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 6, 2019 7:26 PM

Oct 2012
Hi! As someone who plays karuta in real life, I can tell you that luck of the draw is something way more common than you think.

When people of the same level play against each other, it's normal that they struggle until the end and are able to end it like that. It's not "lazy writing", it's just how karuta goes for real.
Dec 6, 2019 7:58 PM

Nov 2007
You are forgetting the stage of the match. Everything that we see in the story (well almost everything) are information that Suetsugu-sensei collected from the Karuta Association.

Luck of the draw is actually not very common during a tournament itself when most of the games are played in the early to mid stages but it goes to luck of the draw more in comparison in later stages when better opponents face each other who do not give away cards from their own territory and/or less prone to faults and the fact that statistically cards are read evenly from both sides.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 6, 2019 9:47 PM

Dec 2018
MaahHeim said:
Hi! As someone who plays karuta in real life, I can tell you that luck of the draw is something way more common than you think.

When people of the same level play against each other, it's normal that they struggle until the end and are able to end it like that. It's not "lazy writing", it's just how karuta goes for real.

Cool! Someone who plays it in RL! I honestly didn't thought there would be someone around here who played it tbh. And it's surprising to learn that it's common! Thanks for clarifying! 8D
Dec 7, 2019 2:57 AM

Jun 2019
I tried to make some research to see if there were some official statistics giving the average of matches ending with a card gap equal to 1 (運命戦: "match of destiny", looks like Yu-Gi-Oh!), but I could not find precise information so far. However, looking at Meijin and Queen match on the Omijingu website, we see that it only happened once or twice in a Queen match these last 10 or so years.

Queen match with a "luck of the draw".

Funny to see that karuta mimics tennis regarding the number of "sets". I also find interesting that in the five sets of Meijin matches, the card gap is so large. It probably indicates that the luck factor (distribution of cards) plays a big role.
MeusnierDec 7, 2019 3:12 AM
Dec 7, 2019 3:31 AM

Oct 2013
Talim said:

I wouldn't say "luck of the draw" situations are ridicilous in Chihayafuru or are somekind of an easy way to point out a winner. I would say rather that it is quite well made and makes Chihayafuru more realistic.

When two strong players, or let's say competitors, meet in a match, a duel or whatever, then the victory usually depends on who of them is stronger. If their skills are equal, then many times pure luck decides on whether somebody loses or wins. However it's not always the case. That "luck" indicator of course surely happens, but not that often. When two equal and strong players meet and they are close to a draw, but a draw is not possible (like in karuta), then often the player who is more experienced wins. In episode 9 it was very clear. Harada's skills were on very similar level to his strong opponent, however his experience after 45 years of playing karuta paid off and he was able to predict which cards wouldn't be read. What is more, he was prepared from the beginning that "luck of the draw" situation might happen, so he planned everything to minimize chances of losing.
Dec 7, 2019 3:48 AM

May 2018
I agree "luck of the draw" is too much but maybe it's a foreshadowing for Taichi's future victory?
Dec 7, 2019 4:57 AM
Nov 2015
Adnash93 said:
Talim said:

I wouldn't say "luck of the draw" situations are ridicilous in Chihayafuru or are somekind of an easy way to point out a winner. I would say rather that it is quite well made and makes Chihayafuru more realistic.

When two strong players, or let's say competitors, meet in a match, a duel or whatever, then the victory usually depends on who of them is stronger. If their skills are equal, then many times pure luck decides on whether somebody loses or wins. However it's not always the case. That "luck" indicator of course surely happens, but not that often. When two equal and strong players meet and they are close to a draw, but a draw is not possible (like in karuta), then often the player who is more experienced wins. In episode 9 it was very clear. Harada's skills were on very similar level to his strong opponent, however his experience after 45 years of playing karuta paid off and he was able to predict which cards wouldn't be read. What is more, he was prepared from the beginning that "luck of the draw" situation might happen, so he planned everything to minimize chances of losing.
well put my friend
Dec 7, 2019 4:58 AM
Nov 2015
Gorochu said:
I agree "luck of the draw" is too much but maybe it's a foreshadowing for Taichi's future victory?
well as adnash93 put it, the luck of the draw brings out an interesting dynamic in the game as that is an element that the players will have to consider.

Some games that involve luck of the draw are the best ones as they have to adopt a strategy towards it.
Dec 8, 2019 7:32 AM

Oct 2015
Tenbun-kun said:
Talim said:

very good points you made here. The OP clearly is not open to having his mind changed tho, he just started this thread to say that this show is not THAT good and thats it.
Dec 9, 2019 1:06 PM

Oct 2017
In my opinion it's not really overused. You don't see it happening with matches against Shinobu-chan, for example, or against the current Meijin. Now, suffice to say that I don't play karuta irl nor do I watch karuta matches irl (I might like doing so, I just don't know where or how) but in these tournaments we see in the show, if you think about it logically a lot of the players have near-equal skill and similar ability, meaning they are not exceptionally gifted "karuta freaks" as one might say of the Queen, for example. So although it keeps happening, I can't say it honestly bothers me, especially when it comes to Taichi. Later on (for those who read the manga) we'll see how he develops as a person and as karuta player, and let's just say, this is all relevant atm. That which Taichi is missing, he will find it eventually. This animé is all about growth (in every sense of the word) and very little in it happens without good reason, even if it's a bit annoying at the time. :)
Dec 20, 2019 11:22 AM

Apr 2010
I think it makes sense that if both players are at the same level, they will get a tie. In Karuta, a tie isn't really possible, so that's the closest thing to that. Look how many soccer came ends in a tie, sometime after two hours of a game in world cup, only the penalty kicks determine the winner.

Apr 11, 2022 5:50 AM

Oct 2020
I agree with you, im watching and loving it but it gets annoying the amount of times games are decided by luck. I also dont like how all of a sudden Taichi is the best player of them all, he just got promoted to class A, Im on s3 ep 7 for context

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 29, 2019

78 by fathandz »»
Jun 1, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 29, 2019

46 by fathandz »»
May 31, 9:35 AM

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

22 by mythical_k »»
May 27, 1:36 PM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.