Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 8:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thorn turned out to be Asuka? Mu getting purified by her corruption too.

Honestly, it felt like a pretty underwhelming finale and show altogether. Furthermore, I can't really say the Mobius World is thoughtful idea despite the premise that ties the series together. A shame this anime could of done better if it had a more detailed plot.

4/10. Game adaptations really feel like a hit or miss these days...
Aug 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Aug 2017
I'm going to copy and paste what I thought after the ending. I wrote this months ago.

It's not so bad. A bit rushed and plot holes but, at least, have some decent characterization. Basically, an average anti-escapism anime. +1 for enjoyment. 3/5 for the episode. 6/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 9, 2018 4:29 PM

Mar 2012
i actually think that if the characterization was better this could have been an enjoyable anime. kept watching because i wanted to know where this mess would end up (and because i have a really hard time dropping stuff) but it didn't surprise me when we got at the end and it was underwhelming to say the least.

the design reminded me a lot of persona, but the execution was pretty meh. and am i the only one who thinks living forever in high school would be worse than some kinds of hell?
Aug 9, 2018 7:38 PM

May 2015
Wow...Ritsu's speech at the end was SO spot on. We want to understand others, so we research about psychology and read stories. The ending was nice as well where we got to see everyone and who they were.

Caligula delves quite a bit into the psychological nature of humans. Being the psychology major that I am, I actually found it quite interesting. And the anime took a persona-esque route, which is no surprise since the original writer of the game also did Persona 2 as well. The insert music was great, and reading the lyrics actually fit well in the situation that it is being sung, so that's a plus. If the issue was loneliness, the song sings about loneliness, and if it's about apathy and hatred, then the song will reflect those feelings.

Although Caligula has some ups, it also has several downs. I did like the changing art within Mobius which gave the anime a different feel suited for the current mood. The character art however was very lackluster with minimal distinctions between characters until they revealed their powers where their designs were pretty decent. The characters themselves were more featured like "character of the week" where they get one episode focused on them, then they are set aside and are completely forgotten. Also, for being based on a JRPG, the action was very lackluster and minimal which is unfortunate. Given how great the Opening Animation was done, I expected a lot more. The greatest issue with Caligula however is the pacing. This is sadly another game adaptation that had to rush forward and skip events from one episode to another making the transition to the next episode feel unnatural. The poor pacing also weakened the overall development of the characters save Ritsu who got the best development at the end.

Despite the weak character development, lackluster action, and poor pacing, the big plus that Caligula won me over was the message that Caligula was trying to convey. Maybe it isn't Anime of the Year material, but the final episodes got me thinking about it, and sometimes that's all the anime needs to do to make me remember it. A rushed anime that probably could have done better with 24 episodes instead of 12, but its ending left quite an impression on me. A decent anime overall.
Aug 12, 2018 9:53 PM

Apr 2013
Well, it's easy to see where all the budget went.
Still I don't think it was overall that fantastic, despite it's potential.
Aug 25, 2018 9:36 PM

Jun 2013
Well it started out mysterious and interesting but went downhill from there. Overall it felt quite mediocre and rushed. 5/10
Aug 28, 2018 3:39 PM

Oct 2015
I thought this anime was great for me, I don't think it deserved that 6.27. But anyways its up to the majority. I didn't feel the first 9episodes and would've gave it a 5, but from episode 10 things started to pick up and the story peeled through. I started to enjoy it as the characters showed themselves and began to tell their stories on why they escaped reality, also why they wanted to come back to it.

My surprise was that Marie was the traitor all along and Thorn was actually late Ichika's friend Natsume, who blamed Shogo for choosing him as a suicide partner. The other thing Who created Aria if Muse was created by Ritsu? And also where and how did Muse obtain such power to transport everyone to the Möbius world?? Anyways I didn't care, but only cared that it had a message, it was enjoyable and the songs hit me.

It might sucked to many but to me it was awesome, maybe its because people didn't pay attention or cared to. 8/10 and one of the best anime of that season.
lihle808Aug 28, 2018 3:45 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 10, 2019 9:06 PM

Jun 2014
I kinda enjoyed the ending. But the first 10 episodes were just... so bad.

As for being an anime adaptation of a video game-- I feel like the anime didnt really do enough to enhance the experience to justify the anime's existence. Episodes 11 and 12 were good, mainly because they gave an explanation as to how Mobius and Mu were first created, and gave a backstory to the protagonist-- key plot features the game was missing. So that was enjoyable. But the first two episodes were just completely confusing for anyone who doesnt know about the game. I did like that they deviated a little bit from the game's introduction, but they didnt explain anything. Then episodes 3-5 progressed soo slowly and so much time was wasted doing nothing instead of using the time to develop the large cast of characters. The middle episodes were utterly incoherent and it always seemed like just random things happening. So yeah, I stand by that episodes 11 and 12 were the only worth while episodes in the anime's existence.

A large part of the game's story is based around the characters' traumas, events that happened in their real life that caused them to be invited to Mobius. They way the anime crammed all the Go-Home club members' character stories into one episode was distasteful. And then they barely even hinted at the Musicians' traumas and just skipped their backstories. There were also disappointingly few battles. The characters dont even awaken their Catharsis Effect weapons until the middle of the series. And even after that, a lot of the time, conflict between Go Home club and Musicians would just be arguing about ideals back and forth.

The biggest thing Im majorly disappointed about is the fact that Biwasaka, Ayana, Kuchinashi, and Stork were excluded from the anime. In the game, these 4 character stories all intertwine, and its the most interesting part of the story. They could have left out Naruko, Minezawa, and Ike-P (who have the least interesting stories).

Anyway. 4/10. This could have been a lot better if they had the budget for 4-6 more episodes to properly develop all the characters, and portray the main story in a somewhat coherent way.
Apr 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Aug 2017
Well it was obvious they're gonna rush the ending,
This anime had potential to be really great but due to many plot-holes and irregular pace it ended as a good-ish anime,
I hoped for the characters to meet in reality, also they didn't explain the origin of astral syndrome,
I'll give it a 7 because the animation was really good and the plot was interesting, at least the ending is kinda of a conclusion and not a cliffhanger.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Caligula Episode 11 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 10 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 9 Discussion

fukumenkei - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

15 by Dekom »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 20, 2018

40 by Dekom »»
Mar 25, 2023 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.