Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2008 7:42 PM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I am thoroughly disappointed at how this so called Mikan Arc went. Sure the action was nice, lots of GAR moments, but not enough development concerning Mikan. The other character-centric arcs developed the other characters fairly well, but it feels like Mikan got the short end of the stick on this one...

There were lots of uber ~moe Mikan Mikan moments and that is probably the redeeming factor of this episode. The fanboy in me would rate this whole episode and arc a 1, curse the fact that I am a reasonable person!

Next episode...two dresses?
Is this one of the odd jobs Itsuki takes to make some side cash for Astral? Tune in to next week's Rental Magica to find out!
Feb 25, 2008 1:35 AM

May 2007
Mikan orange again! XD

Out of Astral, Mikan is probably have least attribute in terms of character. I didn't expect a lot of developments on her personality. After all, the Katsuragi obasan said Mikan's talent is inadequate. After all this, Itsuki-tachi finally learned a lot about the Katsuragi family and hometown. In the end, Mikan put her "emo" feeling aside and she was able to decide her own life. Her purpose now is to be a beloved family of Astral.

So this episode is practically shows that the new Astral is fully reborn now. With Itsuki able to master his Glam Sight, he's able to backbone the company and take control. The combination of magic plus little favor from Goetia's leader, the Oni ritual can be completed. Great display of teamwork so I loved this episode overall.
Feb 25, 2008 5:57 AM

Feb 2008
Really liked this episode, probably my favourite episode of RM yet =)
Still, I think they should have developed Mikan's character a bit more.
Feb 25, 2008 8:10 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Good episode, but the show is still lacking something. But yay for Mikan and Mikos.

No clue why Eclipse didn't feel like translating 'Mother' and 'Guardian' though.

[edit]: Yay for Addie, too!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 25, 2008 9:39 AM

Feb 2008
good epp.

i think they have developed most of the characters well, but now they are running out of time. only four more epp. perhaps next season they will add more..if there is one. we shall see.
Feb 25, 2008 10:41 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
cyruz said:
Good episode, but the show is still lacking something.
I know what you mean. I've enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I don't know that it's one I'd want to re-watch again. And its premise seemed so good too!

Addie rocks, but it was kind of weird that she had to come to the rescue. Glam sight fails! And wasn't Itsuki only supposed to take it off in life or death, according to his promise with Honami?? Perhaps this counted as such.

And man, what a mean grandmother. Making it out like turning Mikan into a human sacrifice was all for her benefit... yeah, right...
Feb 25, 2008 4:34 PM

Jan 2007
aw man, we get to see Itsuki take off his eyepatch but it wasn't as cool as the other times.
Feb 25, 2008 6:47 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Itsuki was disappointing. He didn't get to use offensive attacks.

The two sisters working together was definitely good.

Is there going to be second after all?.... this first one seemed a bit stretched.

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 25, 2008 7:22 PM

Aug 2007
The supposed actual events of the oni arc in the novel...
*directly quoted from the dude who posted it on AS forums*
(Had to edit the post a bit to comply with the forums so-so coding...)

sb075 said:

The grandmother is a superior shinto magician and her attack is powerful. But they cut her battle scene completely.

And future episode titles were revealed.

Feb 25, 2008 8:55 PM

Aug 2007
yeah it was just "okay". I'm glad Addy is there to bother Itsuki again but I was a little disappointed she had to save them.
Feb 25, 2008 9:10 PM

Jul 2007
MajorAddiction said:
yeah it was just "okay". I'm glad Addy is there to bother Itsuki again but I was a little disappointed she had to save them.

Yeah, she just showed up out of nowhere. As if Glam Sight isn't enough of a deus ex machina.

I thought this episode lacked something too... it seemed like a letdown after learning that Mikan was supposed to be sacrificed by her family. I thought there would be a bit more drama, but it was just Astral vs Monster.
Feb 26, 2008 1:03 AM

Oct 2007
Meh, at least my beloved Addie is back. ^_^
Feb 26, 2008 11:30 AM

Nov 2007
man I couldn't stand that old grandma. human sacrifice? that oni should of made her the sacrifice.
Feb 28, 2008 6:16 PM

Jun 2007
at least i got my kuroha screentime this week. also addie screentime was also good.

the episode didn't feel completed, as some of you said already. but in any cases, i liked it.
kaori sure was a cute character. too bad we only got to see her twice. (or in two episodes)

talking about characters that only appear once or twice... i want to see lapis again.
and, i wanted to see more itsuki using both his glam sight and his now martial arts (maybe?) techniques.

also, why wasn't mikan's obaachan impressed by itsuki having a glam sight? everyone else seemed pretty impressed the first time they saw it.
Mar 14, 2008 12:12 PM

Feb 2008
Quite an interesting episode this time,i just love how this episode tend to add some bloody violence when the Big Oni killed and devoured the Mini Onis... Sadly enough, they didn't do much justice for Mikan in this arc.. T-T

Richard_Omega said:
at least i got my kuroha screentime this week.
talking about characters that only appear once or twice... i want to see lapis again.

Same here too,Lapis should have appear more instead of those two shota and baa-san siblings...

Richard_Omega said:

also, why wasn't mikan's obaachan impressed by itsuki having a glam sight? everyone else seemed pretty impressed the first time they saw it.

Maybe because she was too old and senile enough to even noticed it.. I surely hoped frail old Suzuka got devoured and chewed to pieces by that Oni. Screw those fact that she was just acting cold to 'save' Mikan. Who the heck would order her men to ignore a girl when she was trapped in an Oni's body and severely bleeding on her head!!? I really hate it when a bad character that i really hate suddenly went "Hey, i'm a gooooood person...." in the end.

*cough*...Maurits from Tales of Legendia..*cough*
Dec 20, 2008 2:42 AM

Nov 2007
A reasonable episode, I got my fair share of fight scenes :3 so I guess I'm satisfied for now xD. Although I'd have to agree character development of Mikan wasn't the best but oh well, So we now approach the final arc =D
Jun 24, 2009 6:17 AM

Aug 2008
Addie saves the day? Weird, but I'm not complaining. More Addie please :D
Aug 5, 2010 1:00 AM

May 2008
cyruz said:
Good episode, but the show is still lacking something.

Like a plot? :/
Jun 13, 2014 12:01 PM

May 2012
pretty good episode, let's see what's next!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rental Magica Episode 22 Discussion

PimpToad - Mar 9, 2008

31 by Estefan »»
Sep 24, 9:03 AM

Poll: » Rental Magica Episode 13 Discussion

PimpToad - Jan 6, 2008

22 by Estefan »»
Sep 19, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Rental Magica Episode 5 Discussion

Faust721 - Nov 4, 2007

21 by Cero98 »»
Apr 27, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Rental Magica Episode 4 Discussion

Faust721 - Oct 28, 2007

24 by Cero98 »»
Apr 27, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Rental Magica Episode 3 Discussion

eppyomega - Oct 21, 2007

23 by Cero98 »»
Apr 24, 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.