Forum Settings
Forums

Why aren't there many black people in anime/manga in general?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Feb 24, 2020 5:09 AM

Sep 2019
Well... dumbell nan kilo has one. And there is also a russian sushi shopkeeper in durarara. You just don't look for it hard enough. Are you expecting for anime to generalize the idea of having a black character? You're asking for too much. Japanese is asian... they mostly have white or fair skin. What do you expect anyway? It's not their culture. There aren't that many black people in japan.
White_HollowFeb 24, 2020 5:17 AM

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 24, 2020 5:10 AM

Dec 2018
Japan doesn’t have a very multicultural society. Therefore 99% of characters in anime are Japanese. The foreigners that are normally included have blonde hair and such since it’s generally the first thing that comes into mind when thinking about foreigners since it’s a very distinctive look to a society with dark hair.
Feb 24, 2020 6:03 AM

Oct 2018
Kobayasan said:
Wait a h*cking second! This isn't an Ehurvaks thread.
but it was him who brought this old thread back again
Feb 24, 2020 6:13 AM

May 2018
B-but how are Japanese otaku suppose to self insert if the harem protagonist is not Japanese?
Feb 24, 2020 9:03 AM

Jul 2013
Just be patient, more dark-skinned characters will come.
Feb 24, 2020 9:09 AM

Aug 2019
Kurt_Irving said:
Just be patient, more dark-skinned characters will come.

there's already a lot of brazillians portrayed, like in koe no katachi the protoganists brother in law is a dark skinned braziillian and I'm pretty sure there's plenty more
Feb 24, 2020 9:15 AM

May 2016
quercifolia said:
Nyu said:

Anime characters being White is not racist. And in Japan, they actually make their skin more White, because in the past, the rich would have white skin, whereas the peasants would have darker skin because they were out in the sun, working the farms, so having whiter skin, makes them seem more prestigious.

Japan being Japanese is not racist, it's perfectly fine for a people to actually focus on their own people.

Who cares if some people experience some racism, we are not from Japan, we have no right to be there, thus if they don't want us there, that is perfectly fine.

So Japanese people holding rallies for tougher immigration laws is now racist, how dare they have freedom of speech and want their country to be for their people.

There government is fine, we shouldn't impose our western values upon them.
Yeah, they should fix their population growth, tho immigration would only worsen it, having millions of third worlders in the country would only hurt the country and their people.

Yes, I know the Asian obsession with pale skin, bleaching your skin to be paler and more beautiful. I did say it is not unusual that there are few black people in anime due to the low populations.

Not immigration laws. Hate speech. As in "get rid of all the dirty gaijin from my country". It is a big problem in Japan. They even introduced new laws to stop hate speech (but no penalties for violating them, apparently.)

Even the Prime Minister, Abe, said that hate speech was a problem, that it was regrettable and affected the dignity of the entire country, and its people.

"Who cares if some people experience racism" "Japan being Japanese is not racist". You literally just said they experience racism.

Foreign people have every right to be in Japan, so long as we abide by the laws, cultures, and customs of the country, why should any foreigner be made to feel unwanted, hated, and unwelcome?

I don't see how immigration would hurt their population. Its literally bringing more people into the country, who will be able to marry and have children there. Hence helping the birthrates. Because the low birthrates is purely a Japanese thing.

Women want to have careers and be successful. When people get married it's expected they'll have kids right away. And the women are expected to quit their job to raise the kids. So many opt not to get married at all.

You say, just let japan be japan:

Well, you can say that. I think meddling in other countries is honestly, pointless if you don't live there anyway.

But regardless, Japan is still very racist and that is a plain fact.

Oh boy. "I don't see how immigration would hurt japan"
What a scary statement made right there. There is a reason asians are the smartest and asian countries are the most advanced. Also why china is supposedly to take over as the next super power in a few decades from the usa....
Thankfully Japanese don't like foreigners and won't let immigration happen. They know not to listen to western values and ruin everything
Feb 24, 2020 9:39 AM
Oct 2019
Well... unlike the west we seldom have black people here,
I mean you don’t see Black guys every day and to tell you frankly most anime characters need to have like a basis for its design ( its not like you can ask a black guy to portray for you and not get punched in the face and steals your stuff. jk please dont get butthurt).
Feb 24, 2020 9:47 AM

May 2018
Itachi said:
The Japanese don't like the color black for some reason :c

black ink is expensive 30charslimit
Feb 24, 2020 12:36 PM

May 2009
Thread Locked

This keeps getting necro'd over and over again. The posts from 2015 are pretty much the same as the new ones in 2020 and the thread keeps repeating itself.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - 9 hours ago

23 by deg »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you self-insert? ( 1 2 )

ateks - Sep 7, 2022

76 by MitsukiHimeka »»
4 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - 5 hours ago

20 by Mayahuel »»
4 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 3 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

122 by Anjuro »»
8 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

41 by TRC_Randy »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.