Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 24, 2014 1:01 AM

Mar 2013
Pknoctis said:
Well this anime does start out with all the characters already knowing how to play baseball...they're not gonna baby watchers.

Mirorin said:
Um, well they don't really explain the sport because baseball to Japan is like hockey to Canada or soccer to Europe... most everyone has basic knowledge of the sport.

I don't think either of you understood what I was really complaining about... Just taking a look at this thread, you can see there was confusion over what hit by pitch is, something the anime never explained/spoke about. This is an issue we've had to deal with since the start. Especially for people that only watch sports anime as opposed to actual sports (which are a lot of sports anime fans, believe me) not getting any help with understanding the game can ruin the entire experience.

First of all, I don't think it would be "babying the watchers" to clarify rules. It would be babying us by telling us what a home run is, which anyone that knows the word "baseball" would know. I'm from the UK so I'm going to use football/soccer as my example. Here everyone knows the most basic terms of football, like what a goal is, positions like midfielder, how long a match is. Terms like this aren't the issue with this anime. It's the rules, even basic ones, that even Japanese people can easily not know. Many people in Europe don't know how the offside rule works in football, just as many people in Japan may not know the many different ways to get a player out/what exactly a foul ball is/the difference between a strike and a ball. They can even more easily not know names of rules for special occasions, such as "hit by pitch" (especially since this is a rule said in English) and if the consequences of a rule being broken ever comes up without explanation, I'm sure many people both Japanese and Western will find themselves lost. Expecting everyone watching to be a total expert on baseball's just making it confusing for the average watcher (which a TV show should be appealing to as well as fanatics) and it would take them literally a sentence of their time to explain it which, judging by the unnecessary long pauses and slo mo in this anime, they could more than sufficiently make time for.

Personally, I not only had to attempt to google a lot of my questions (which came up with very little in the way of decent results), but I also had to consult a friend who watches baseball regularly in order to explain the rules of the game, which not everyone has the opportunity to do. Things like "bottom of the inning" and "bunt" that I'd never heard before became very obvious very quickly but especially when they quickly go over innings in quick calls, it's really hard to tell what actually happened.
Dec 25, 2014 2:54 PM

Apr 2014
HARUCCHI SO COOL

We got some now OSTs this ep. Nice. But oh my god.. I was almost in tears at the second out. FUCK that was so beautiful. FML one more out but I'm so scared ;v;;;;; This series is too stressful.

Can't believe I watched this on Christmas. What a mistake... I have such a heavy feeling in my chest now ugh
LOADDec 25, 2014 3:01 PM
Dec 27, 2014 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
wow Sawamira might not recover from that easily
Dec 27, 2014 4:12 AM

Feb 2008
straggy said:
Pknoctis said:
Well this anime does start out with all the characters already knowing how to play baseball...they're not gonna baby watchers.

Mirorin said:
Um, well they don't really explain the sport because baseball to Japan is like hockey to Canada or soccer to Europe... most everyone has basic knowledge of the sport.

I don't think either of you understood what I was really complaining about... Just taking a look at this thread, you can see there was confusion over what hit by pitch is, something the anime never explained/spoke about. This is an issue we've had to deal with since the start. Especially for people that only watch sports anime as opposed to actual sports (which are a lot of sports anime fans, believe me) not getting any help with understanding the game can ruin the entire experience.

First of all, I don't think it would be "babying the watchers" to clarify rules. It would be babying us by telling us what a home run is, which anyone that knows the word "baseball" would know. I'm from the UK so I'm going to use football/soccer as my example. Here everyone knows the most basic terms of football, like what a goal is, positions like midfielder, how long a match is. Terms like this aren't the issue with this anime. It's the rules, even basic ones, that even Japanese people can easily not know. Many people in Europe don't know how the offside rule works in football, just as many people in Japan may not know the many different ways to get a player out/what exactly a foul ball is/the difference between a strike and a ball. They can even more easily not know names of rules for special occasions, such as "hit by pitch" (especially since this is a rule said in English) and if the consequences of a rule being broken ever comes up without explanation, I'm sure many people both Japanese and Western will find themselves lost. Expecting everyone watching to be a total expert on baseball's just making it confusing for the average watcher (which a TV show should be appealing to as well as fanatics) and it would take them literally a sentence of their time to explain it which, judging by the unnecessary long pauses and slo mo in this anime, they could more than sufficiently make time for.

Personally, I not only had to attempt to google a lot of my questions (which came up with very little in the way of decent results), but I also had to consult a friend who watches baseball regularly in order to explain the rules of the game, which not everyone has the opportunity to do. Things like "bottom of the inning" and "bunt" that I'd never heard before became very obvious very quickly but especially when they quickly go over innings in quick calls, it's really hard to tell what actually happened.

This is one of the many reasons I love Slam Dunk. It's one of the few sports series that actually takes the time to explain the rules of the game to the viewers. It wouldn't be so bad if they could squeeze a one minute section right after the ED in order to explain the new terms and/or techniques that have been introduced during that episode.

And you are right about googling, most of times the search results are far from satisfying.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jan 16, 2015 8:35 PM

Nov 2012
The pressure this episode was intense.

Now up to Kawakami to get this last out.
Mar 13, 2015 9:37 PM

Jun 2011
Drama felt somewhat forced. I know it's more realistic that a first year like Sawamura is experiencing fear and all, but it all came so suddenly, it's like the author is telling us "Hey they can't go to koshien yet", it's kind of annoying because it felt like they are losing for the sake of losing. That is only if they really do lose the game.

By the way, is there a rule saying that they can't swap Furuya back in again?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 24, 2015 11:45 AM
Sep 2009
This was a bit unexpected. Sawamura didn't really care and now he suddenly is under massive pressure?
May 9, 2015 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
Sawamura's such a loser
Jun 8, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2012
I love how unreliable kawakami is. I can already here seido crying over defeat.
Sep 5, 2015 4:06 AM

Mar 2012
The amount of lose flags this episode.
Jun 17, 2016 7:02 PM
Jan 2016
Worst episode i watched since the start, the match between seidou and inashiro is long + lot of nonsense. Eijun suddenly freaking out on the last out is just bs, what is more bs is furyu hiting two of mei pitches while sleeping on the other hand yuuki the best batter in the whole match barely hiting one on his last inning what logic is that. Also tanba always getting injured is bs.
Jan 8, 2017 7:52 PM

Sep 2015
Dam it I feel so bad for Sawamura
May 21, 2017 6:26 PM

Sep 2014
Super forced. Why is Eijun going insane? First thing when Eijun came out was have high energy and was extremely brave, and pitched 3 times inside! Now the last thing he does is break everything he is known for? Inconsistent and forced. I'm really irritated with this episode.
Jan 17, 2018 2:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
What you did Sawamura???!!! :/
Aug 23, 2018 7:46 PM

Dec 2013
That looked a little too much on the inside.

Kawakami is going to have his heart broken when he lets the team down.
Sep 10, 2018 5:21 AM

Nov 2016
Short appearance for Sawamura, but I'm sure we will see him again on the field when they're entering the extra inning.

Hang in there Kawakami.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 6, 2019 8:50 PM

Sep 2018
I really want Seidou to win!!! The last inning is so intense!!! This is too much pressure!!!

I really feel bad for Sawamura huhuhu T------T Kawakami have a very hard responsibility 😞
Jan 3, 2021 2:45 AM
Jun 2020
Well, I am rewatching, and seriously, up to the very latest episode, I still have issue with how this show deals with injury.
THEY ARE ALL KIDS damn it! Getting hit in the head by a hard ball going more than 100km/hr isn't something you can just gloss over. There's no follow-up/ closure (until the end of the series even) for this hit as well as Sawamura's trauma.
I know Shirakawa said he's fine and the helmet took the brunt of the impact. But really, would you trust a kid with all that adrenaline pumping through his body saying he's fine? The coach or the tournament host should really get him to a doctor.

Kawakami has been closing all the games throughout the tournament, he's by far the most stable pitcher in Seido. He doesn't have random burst of 120% performances like the first years, neither does he have an injury (and a practice gap for recovery) like Tanba. He's not stellar, but he's still a respectful pitcher in his own right.
But is definitely a red flag, since there is no point in bringing out a character that the story doesn't wish to expand into the peak moment of the game. Is just a way by the storytellers to cushion the results of the match by directing the focus off the main characters.

I like Kawakami, sad that he is the sacrificial pawn for the progress of the story and growth of the other main characters.
(I mean, with Inashiro's all star players, I am pretty sure they can win the game fairly without all that drama on Seido's end)

Side note: Is not the first Hit by Pitch scenario in the show.... Base on previous context, is really not a confusing moment.
Oct 29, 2021 1:06 PM

Jul 2015
Getting more intense the closer we get to the end. Besides the deadball, Eijun did a great job pitching but the pressure must've been immensive as similiar to Raichi he succumbed to it.

Dec 14, 2022 11:31 PM

Oct 2015
Third time watching so knowing the results already, man... that was really hard to watch. Of course... OF COURSE Eijun would feel the pressure. I was just watching and I felt so nervous to the point it was numbing. But despite all the pressure, Eijun managed to stay aggressive. I could never... I would've collapsed. TvT

I'm so proud, just really proud of my boi, Eijun. I wish Miyuki noticed it sooner and took a time out or something. He was rushing it. Ahh... the rest of this game will be hard to watch. :')
   HuaLian <3
Jul 4, 2023 7:44 PM

Aug 2019
Don’t let the pressure get to you Eijun.

Haruicchi good job!!!

Seriously? The pressure was getting to him. They should’ve switched out or called a timeout.

The author has a knack for making Eijun screw up at the most crucial moment.

I’m glad the audience isn’t hating on him, but he still feeling miserable.
Jul 29, 2023 11:10 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Some clutch plays from the team to get two outs

But damn, fragile Eijun is back haha
Apr 14, 4:44 AM

Jun 2020
Sawamura no pressure! Come on Seidou!
Apr 14, 4:45 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to fearlessEdition
EXTREMELY well directed episodes. The direction on this ep made it very unique from the rest of the series. (I.E. The use of silence, screen filters, differently drawn characters.) This series is heating up!
@fearlessEdition True that!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2014

41 by Jam15 »»
May 28, 10:39 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 74 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

34 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2015

59 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 70 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2015

55 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2015

101 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 21, 4:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.