Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2012 1:42 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Good Night Sweet Prince.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 17, 2012 12:49 PM

Jun 2009
Really!? They give the character no depth, no context of his "fater/son" bond with Jojo and expect us to give a flying fuck about his death? What a joke.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 12, 2013 11:35 AM

Sep 2011
One of the best characters of the manga died.
Apr 10, 2016 3:22 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
R.I.P Zeppeli, you'll be missed ;_;

5/5
May 7, 2016 6:57 AM

Aug 2014
R.I.P Zeppeli :'(
Dec 18, 2017 9:37 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beautiful cahpter....when Jojo cut for the half the Tarkus arm!!!! kekeke
Feb 12, 2018 11:08 AM

Dec 2015
One of my favourite laughing scenes: the half corpse who talks xD

4/5

Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Really!? They give the character no depth, no context of his "fater/son" bond with Jojo and expect us to give a flying fuck about his death? What a joke.

It's the mandatory death of the master from any kungfu story. Who expects us to give a fuck about it, and why? (I don't think the author was expecting that, it's suppsed to mean something for the characters, not us veterans of this kind of thing)
Rei_IIIFeb 12, 2018 11:19 AM
Feb 17, 2018 8:07 AM

Jan 2018
Farewell Zeppeli!

May 4, 2018 11:37 AM

Feb 2017
"Strong enough to heal a broken neck!"
Aug 8, 2018 7:40 AM

Dec 2015
RIP Zeppeli. At least there's still Speedwagon lol
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 5, 2018 9:41 PM

May 2016
Because of the combination of the rage he felt towards Tarkus for fatally wounding Zeppeli and his remaining life energy being transferred to Jonathan, Jojo straight up turned into a Hamon Master Kenshiro to smash Tarkus' face in before he could even say "Nani?!".

By killing Tarkus to put his irredeemable soul to rest, he had avenged Zeppeli and proceeded to give him a funeral that befits a hero. Now it's Dio's turn to get smacked.

Dec 4, 2018 8:27 AM

Feb 2013
Jonathan really powered-up, it's time to kick Dio's ass!
Sep 11, 2019 3:10 PM

Jun 2016
I was told that Jonathan sometimes looks just like Kenshiro and I totally saw it here. I agree with @Ston3_FreeN7 in that I didn’t care that much about Zeppeli’s death despite him being possibly my favorite character and me really enjoying him. I disagree that he had no depth but as most characters in this are it was not that much. Still, I found him endearing and motivating. To see his dutiful and determined and tragic character be shrouded in such a carefree and charming man was enough for me to find a lot of joy in him. He could smile in the face of death but that didn’t mean he wasn’t troubled by his past or hurt, it didn’t mean he was invincible either, as a hamon master he knew how to control himself and he chose to do as the quote said, to love and live or love and die.

Then when Jonathan showed the inverse of his guilt over killing a zombie in the mansion and was terribly enraged and sad, showing he was eager this time to hurt someone, I was shocked. I thought it was great, it was a new side to Jonathan. It was less of a nice boy who has to fight, and more of a hurt and cold man with a heart of gold willing to kill in whatever means he had to, aka Kenshiro. I rationalized his strong feelings as, “Zeppeli did so much for him, he got him here, he taught him how to fight. Further, Jonathan knows how he has spent decades on this mission and to be ripped from it prematurely as great a man as he was is a tragedy”. Like we also got Speedwagon earning his respect to get bonds all around. But I saw it as the sadness of losing a great man and a mentor. So when he said “I feel like I have a best friend and a son all in one” I burst out laughing. It wasn’t a jaded laugh, I loved laughing at it, but it largely comes from the fact that I do not feel like they were father and son or best friends. But past that, they were both men who came from a tragic background which resulted in the death of their loved ones and for being a part of it both were dutiful enough to take responsibility to risk their lives over stopping it. Perhaps that was enough for the two to feel such a connection. Jonathan always did seem like a little Zeppeli to me, a man to one day grow up like a less eccentric Zeppeli.

I have found Araki’s spreads to be amazing, I love them. The slicing of Tarkus’ arm like butter(ew) or the double face punch with Jonathan’s pained cry. Great stuff. I also love the use of having Jonathan lose his clothing piece by piece as battle scars of their own. His lack of a glove from Dio, or his shirt ripped from the hamon, it feels awesome to keep this stuff consistent.

Edit: In my final posts and such I have stated that Tarkus and Bruford is my least favorite part of this manga while loving the rest. I'm rereading it at this moment and would like to change that opinion. Tarkus as a fight is one of my favorites in the series(have finished up to part 3). It's fast, frantic, brutal, and meaningful. It's catharsis at its peak. Seeing Speedwagon's crushing final words 'be careful old man' and his shock at one of my favorite page turns ever, the slicing of Zeppeli, while resonating with Speedwagon and Jonathan make for the power up and beat down to feel powerful. The rage filled tears turned sorrow as Jonathan finished off Tarkus in such an iconic way. Tarkus, as simple and prideful as he was, had a visual transformation as he got cracked and bloodied, losing his helmet and his hair forming into horns. Like, yeah, Tarkus is one of my favorites for all these reasons and what it leads to in the upcoming chapters!!
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsJun 6, 2020 11:30 AM
Nov 24, 2019 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
Amazing fight! Jonathan was so cool when he faced against Tarkus!
Zeppeli's final words and death made teary, RIP. :'(
Despite these characters being so silly they really did grow on me.
Feb 13, 2020 10:32 AM

Oct 2013
Jonathan Joestar looked indeed like 19th century, English version of Kenshiro. :)

Farewell, Mr. Zeppeli. :(
May 4, 2020 1:03 AM
Oct 2019
rest in peace mr.Zeppeli
Jan 30, 2021 6:49 AM

Sep 2011
Poor Zepelli, I really liked him. He will be missed.
Aug 27, 2022 3:01 PM
Jun 2017
rip zeppeli, gone too soon
Dec 29, 2022 8:05 PM
Dec 2022
WHY COULDN'T SPEEDWAGON HAVE DIED INSTEAD? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/5
Nov 16, 2023 5:08 AM

Apr 2020
Rip Tarkus and Zeppeli. Both of you will not be missed
May 6, 7:14 PM
Dec 2022
Goodnight sweet prince zeppeli

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 44 Discussion

TuzoAnime - Apr 4, 2010

41 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 8:10 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 43 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

15 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 8:07 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 41 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

15 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 7:54 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 38 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

17 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 7:49 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 30 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

15 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.