Forum Settings
Forums

“Sports Illustrated” Just Revealed Its First-Ever Curvy Swimsuit Model

New
Feb 9, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2013
http://www.buzzfeed.com/norawhelan/ashley-graham-in-sports-illustrated#.hr12PvleX4

Beyonce is "curvy" she's almost obese.

I know this is old news but I'm against this whole "body positive movement", it's just giving people who are fat another excuse to hide behind for why they aren't losing weight.

You don't have to be Kiera Knightly thin or Chris Hemsworth buff but holy shit at least have some self respect. And if you say that it's not anyone else's business what you do with your body it has been shown to have an affect on society as a whole:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047996/

What's your opinion on this movement?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 9, 2016 1:34 PM

Jan 2009
for a fat woman she is still sexy though, i will not call that kind of body obese
Feb 9, 2016 1:36 PM

Jun 2013
j0x said:
for a fat woman she is still sexy though, i will not call that kind of body obese
She's pretty close, and just because she has curves doesn't mean she's not, the lack of collarbones and excess of cellulite in her lower extremities proves otherwise.
Feb 9, 2016 1:54 PM

Mar 2014
So according to buzzfeed, plus size = curvy

Please
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 9, 2016 1:56 PM

Apr 2014
I don't care as much that she's on the cover as much as that they're calling her "curvy".
Feb 9, 2016 1:59 PM

Jan 2016
you gotta be fucking shitting me, "model" lol, model of what? hibernating suit for the winter? quick, someone bring me a harpoon because i feel like slaying a fucking whale. unbelievable.
Feb 9, 2016 2:05 PM

Apr 2015
Comic_Sans said:
So according to buzzfeed, plus size = curvy

Please

I think we've already established that buzzfeed is run by a bunch of numbnuts.

OT: As long as overweight people can still be functional assets to society, I don't really care how big someone is.

Feb 9, 2016 2:14 PM

Jun 2015
I don't see a problem with it, honestly.

Feb 9, 2016 2:22 PM
Feb 2014
hahahahaha

cucks btfo forever, i stopped reading SI years ago
Feb 9, 2016 2:24 PM

Jan 2016
WTF?

They're just delivering the message that being unhealthy is the new beautiful.
Feb 9, 2016 2:26 PM
Feb 2014
CapitalistGod said:
WTF?

They're just delivering the message that being unhealthy is the new beautiful.

and we also have shit like this being promoted by the masses if you would

Feb 9, 2016 2:32 PM
Jun 2014
I'd actually care if...nah I wouldn't care actually.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Feb 9, 2016 2:37 PM

Jun 2015
I wouldn't call her fat...she's not skinny, maybe even chunky, good on her for making the cut for that, but definitely on the other side of the spectrum of super skinny to fat.
Feb 9, 2016 2:38 PM

Mar 2014
She's heavier, but proportional. Definitely not obese.
Feb 9, 2016 2:54 PM

Dec 2014
codephat said:
I don't see a problem with it, honestly.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Putting the weight issue aside, she's actually quite pretty.
Feb 9, 2016 3:03 PM

Sep 2013
>28
Maybe she will break new grounds as an old heavy model as well.
Feb 9, 2016 3:04 PM

Jan 2016
Often said:
Putting the weight issue aside, she's actually quite pretty.

yeah like "she has pretty eyes" or some other shit like that lol
Feb 9, 2016 3:09 PM

Jul 2015
*looks at the top*
*gets a boner*
*looks at her legs*
*loses his boner*

What is that I don't even...

Not sure how she's "curvy" when her tighs alone are heavier than me. I'm not saying she's ugly or should be ashamed, but anyone who thinks she's just "curvy" is seriously in denial.
Feb 9, 2016 3:16 PM

Nov 2009
I always thought "curvy" implied . . . well . . . curves that went out and then more importantly in. I dunno, I guess the definition of "curvy" has changed, or rather been co-opted. Always thought curvy meant something like an Hourglass figure, where the breast and butt are, well, massive curves accentuated by the dip inwards do to being thin. However I don't really care, let companies pander to a market that isn't interested in them. Who knows, maybe it will increase their revenue. I mean I for one don't know anyone who bought the swimsuit model of Sports Illustrated . . . Or that many people that buy magazines in general for that matter.

I could care less about the general "body image" movement though, it seems to flagrantly disregard the fact that the standard of beauty they are talking about is through the eyes of the opposite sex. Kudos on you if you are fine with yourself weighing 250 pounds, bravo for having the confidence for going to the beach revealing as much skin as possible . . . However don't expect people to treat you in proportion to how confident you are with your body. Having said that, the model isn't that fat, and has a decent face, so whatever. - Which actually brings me to another point, why is it that in the midst of this whole body image movement, in which you very well can do something about your weight, has there been no mention of being "positive" about other features such as face. Or has there been, and I only ever see the weight issue being addressed.

Edit: Agree with the guy above . . . She could stand to thin her legs down . . . They are actually disproportionately large for her body and kind of confused how she managed to do it.
Feb 9, 2016 3:23 PM

Sep 2015
She isn't fat though?
I dunno, maybe it's because I'm not American. From what I gather, if you aren't Size 0 then you're morbidly obese.
She's bigger, yes, but fat? Far from it.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 9, 2016 3:35 PM

Aug 2013
This is all fine and dandy, but we still have a long way to go, unfortunately. Curvy girls are finally getting the positive recognition that they deserve, but even bigger women are still left in the shadows, withering away in their homes due to the stigma associated with their plus-sized bodies. You say 'curvy,' but I don't think we should be satisfied until we can say 'flabby!' without having people react with disgust. And why stop there? Who's to say what constitutes beauty? I just love challenging convention and terms like this with my obnoxious postmodern attitude, especially if I can impose my own arbitrary definitions and justify my own inadequacies when it comes to healthy body weight and other factors that society deem as 'bad.' You guys seriously need to stop being so bigoted, and admit that you find big strong women attractive.

You disgust me, OP.
MoogFeb 9, 2016 3:38 PM
Feb 9, 2016 3:40 PM

Mar 2014
I really don't see what the problem is.
Feb 9, 2016 3:49 PM

Apr 2013
Her thighs are definitely obese for sure.

But she looks okay otherwise? I mean it's not like she is a lump of fat or anything.

Really pushing it though. She isn't the first image you think of when you think of obese women. She doesn't even have a pot belly.
Feb 9, 2016 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
Those thick thighs

holy shit my dick
Feb 9, 2016 3:53 PM

Sep 2014
Personally I think this is a very positive thing, she looks healthy to me.
Feb 9, 2016 4:01 PM

Aug 2009
I really don't understand why people are promoting obesity. Do they want to feel good about their shitty life choices and and reaching into my wallet to grab tax dollars to deal with your future health problems? Well too bad, I like my money and I hope the diabetes comes quickly.

On a serious note Fat grillz need love too :(

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 9, 2016 4:04 PM

Dec 2015
Look I don't wanna be a jerk (is what people always say immediately before being a jerk) but let's be real here, "curvy" is just code for "fat".
Feb 9, 2016 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
This isn't "obese", this is indeed "overweight" though, CLOSE to "obese".

Why won't the suffering end? Why do SJWs have to ruin everything?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 9, 2016 4:23 PM

Mar 2008
She's built like a padded brick wall. Well at least you can tell she's in decent shape aside from being overweight and possibly obese.

I don't care if a model of this sort exists if they just exist but when they do it to make some statement and to pander to SJWs it's just disgusting weakness and exploitation for profit.
Feb 9, 2016 4:26 PM

Jun 2012
Since when do whales wear high heels?
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 9, 2016 4:42 PM

Jul 2015
big can be beautiful...just not to me. i find you disgusting - Danial Tosh
i make terrible youtube videos, dont click the link unless you have literally seen everything else in existence
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8qW8C2w0PNpTGlA-0r_HA
Feb 9, 2016 4:50 PM

Jun 2013
Moog said:
This is all fine and dandy, but we still have a long way to go, unfortunately. Curvy girls are finally getting the positive recognition that they deserve, but even bigger women are still left in the shadows, withering away in their homes due to the stigma associated with their plus-sized bodies. You say 'curvy,' but I don't think we should be satisfied until we can say 'flabby!' without having people react with disgust. And why stop there? Who's to say what constitutes beauty? I just love challenging convention and terms like this with my obnoxious postmodern attitude, especially if I can impose my own arbitrary definitions and justify my own inadequacies when it comes to healthy body weight and other factors that society deem as 'bad.' You guys seriously need to stop being so bigoted, and admit that you find big strong women attractive.

You disgust me, OP.

I disgust you because I refuse to enable people to live an unhealthy lifestyle that is a detriment to society? Spare me your idiotic SJW ideals that just pander to people who're too lazy or too afraid to accept the truth. Being fat is not okay, being over-weight is not okay, especially when it's their fault for doing that to themselves and then expecting everyone else to accept their selfishness. I disgust YOU? You're the disgusting one for believing this is an okay standard. I'd love a strong woman, but she is not strong. She is a coward who is hiding behind her body acceptance movement because she doesn't want to put the effort in or have the discipline to lose weight. And those people (not just women who can be ashamed of their bodies) who wither away in their homes because of society looking down on them? They're cowards too. An actual "strong" woman would have the discipline and motivation to eat healthy, exercise and make a better life for herself.
Feb 9, 2016 4:51 PM

Apr 2012
@FreshPrinceofMAL

Hahahahaha, you failed.

Autocrat said:
Feb 9, 2016 4:58 PM

Jul 2014
Obesity is a real thing that kills people daily because they have a problem they can't control and need help.

It isn't something people should be "supporting" or promoting, its the same as supporting Anorexia, both involve someone eating too much or eating too little with fatal consequences.

Now this girl doesn't look bad at all or anywhere near Obese. Just by eyeing her, she doesn't look near that. She just has big hips and a different body shape.
ZjjFeb 9, 2016 5:32 PM
Feb 9, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2012
@chokingasuka

or anywhere near Obese

She's surely near 29 BM. Over that, she'd be obese.

Autocrat said:
Feb 9, 2016 5:12 PM

Nov 2012
A lot of guys on MAL (from previous threads I've read also) seem to have extremely strict standards for thinner looking girls.

I'm definitely an outlier, for whatever reason I like chubbier girls (around 10-20 lbs over the ideal weight for their height) more than the what most guys probably think is the ideal body type of a woman. I would say curvy I like, but not just strait up fat with no curves at all (i.e. a blob). If a woman has too much weight there won't be any curves its just a ball of fat really.

two examples of body types I like that are near the maximum of my like spectrum

https://www.google.com/search?q=curvy+women&safe=off&biw=1536&bih=731&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj33NWtgOzKAhVHeSYKHZqxCv8Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=HJT-kwgzuNBT5M%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=curvy+women&safe=off&biw=1536&bih=731&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj33NWtgOzKAhVHeSYKHZqxCv8Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=sSY7XP7LUNklaM%3A
midnightbladeFeb 9, 2016 5:20 PM
Feb 9, 2016 5:19 PM

Apr 2012
And0ers said:
She's a bit too "curvy" to be on "Sports Illustrated" in my opinion...
OH, I didn't notice this is related to sports.

Topfuckingkek, thanks SJWs.

Autocrat said:
Feb 9, 2016 6:28 PM
Jul 2018
She's kind of chub, but really, still has a pretty face and her figure isn't bad considering. At least she's not the monstrosity that is the size 22 Tess Holliday.
Feb 9, 2016 7:10 PM

Mar 2008
chokingasuka said:
Now this girl doesn't look bad at all or anywhere near Obese. Just by eyeing her, she doesn't look near that. She just has big hips and a different body shape.

She is obese in that photo. It's just not obvious because she has toned muscles so she doesnt look flabby. Hip size has nothing to do with how thick her thighs would be and her thighs are quite a bit larger than her head, nearly 50% larger. It's a dead give away. However when I looked her up I saw other pictures of her where she looked thinner and I got info on her weight and height. She is 5 foot 9 and 201 pounds. That means her BMI is 29.7, obese is 30.
http://healthyceleb.com/ashley-graham-height-weight-body-statistics/40966
Feb 9, 2016 7:30 PM
Jul 2018
My sister developed anorexia because of the way our culture perceives beauty. There is nothing wrong with promoting different body types. It's not about promoting fat in a positive way. Its about being realistic and honest with what's real. Its about inspiring curvy women (not obese) to feel normal and to be okay with who they are. Stop going on tumblr and acting like those idiots represent what this is meant to do. Being okay with who you are can actually improve how you treat yourself and cause positive changes like weight loss. When I was fat I never lost weight because people shamed me, if anything it caused me to care less. So Barbie has a curvy doll now, so a stupid magazine uses a bigger model, it's not the end of the world.
Feb 9, 2016 7:41 PM

Jul 2014
traed said:
chokingasuka said:

She is obese in that photo. It's just not obvious because she has toned muscles so she doesnt look flabby. Hip size has nothing to do with how thick her thighs would be and her thighs are quite a bit larger than her head, nearly 50% larger. It's a dead give away. However when I looked her up I saw other pictures of her where she looked thinner and I got info on her weight and height. She is 5 foot 9 and 201 pounds. That means her BMI is 29.7, obese is 30.
http://healthyceleb.com/ashley-graham-height-weight-body-statistics/40966

Really? I didn't bother with research cause usually you can tell just by looking at somebody like, pretty easily.
ZjjFeb 9, 2016 9:37 PM
Feb 9, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2008
@chokingasuka

Well it should be kept in mind that BMI is not very scientific even though most use it since it works for most people. The best measurement is body fat percentage. You can sort of estimate body fat percentage by appearance but the mount of muscle a person has makes it hard to eye. Confusingly enough body fat percentage has nothing to do with muscle mass so the term is slightly misleading.

You might be thinking of "morbidly obese" when you think of obese. The terms get swapped around a lot.
Feb 9, 2016 8:00 PM

Sep 2012
Omg such a travesty. Story of the century. Stop the presses. A girl wore a swimsuit and had her picture taken. Wow. Such controversy.
Feb 9, 2016 8:04 PM

May 2015
This is ridiculous...next issue they're probably going to have a 400 pound hambeast posing. Thanks Tumblr :)

If she's "curvy" then I'm fucking malnourished.
Feb 9, 2016 8:25 PM

May 2015
Claire Sinclair is curvy, this chick is one McDonalds trip away from being a full blown land whale.

In the fucking link some bitch was saying "we need to build a body positive image." Sure, but let's make it a healthy one. You people are trying to pass this off as perfectly healthy.
Slightly Dangerous

Feb 9, 2016 8:28 PM

Mar 2014
how is she fat?

o.o like fucking how are we seeing the same girl?

I see a thick bitch that is about it
Eat Me
Feb 9, 2016 8:37 PM

Feb 2013
People in this thread are trying to label women in a sort of classification system. wow.

#femnistswereright
Feb 9, 2016 8:42 PM

Aug 2015
That's not the first curvy cover model of SI. They hade Kate Upton before.

Stop being politically correct with your word, that's the first fat cover model of SI.

Clamor said:
how is she fat?

o.o like fucking how are we seeing the same girl?

I see a thick bitch that is about it
Have you seen the previous cover girls of SI? That girl looks obese compared to them:/
Feb 9, 2016 8:44 PM

Sep 2009
Reported thread for spam.

Wait... FreshPrince... is that you?
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 9, 2016 9:23 PM

Feb 2016
chokingasuka said:
Obesity is a real thing that kills people daily because they have a problem they can't control and need help.

It isn't something people should be "supporting" or promoting, its the same as supporting Anorexia, both involve someone eating too much or eating too little with fatal consequences.

You're saying "obese" but you're thinking "morbidly obese". Going by the BMI she'D be medically classified as obese with ease. She's bigger than I am, although a similar general shape I guess,and I'm teetering on the ego of medical obesity myself. She probably has a good deal more muscle than me too, which would make her weigh more. I'd bet my house that this chick's BMI is well in the "obese" range.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.