Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2012 7:52 AM

Jan 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So ends the Asgard Arc which is filler in case you didn't know. I have to agree with the opinions I've read online about this filler, it's one of the best out there, I wouldn't know it was filler if I hadn't read that online.

Also, does Athena always get kidnapped? For a goddess she has bad luck
Mar 31, 2014 11:58 AM

Jun 2012
EZSPECIAL said:
So ends the Asgard Arc which is filler in case you didn't know. I have to agree with the opinions I've read online about this filler, it's one of the best out there, I wouldn't know it was filler if I hadn't read that online.

Also, does Athena always get kidnapped? For a goddess she has bad luck
One of the best!?? Wtf? Seriously? This arc was the most boring arc in any show I have ever watched. I literally fell asleep each episode. I'm not joking. I'm not saying this was a bad arc I'm just saying... no, actually I am saying this was a bad arc, a terrible arc even. Before this arc I was giving saint seiya a rating of 8; because of this arc it's now at 5 and I don't even feel like watching the rest of the damn series now. I had problems with the sanctuary arc too, but at least the fights in that arc were coolio; everything in this arc was shit. However, I heard that the Hades chapter is god-like so I want to finish this series. I'm probably going to take a break from saint seiya and cool my head down. I might be a little agitated with the series and I would prefer not to be when watching the Poseidon and Hades chapters or I'm not going to enjoy it as much.

And even though it's filler, what Saga said last episode really got me thinking. Even though Seiya and the rest are inferior to the gold saints, they were still able to beat the gold saints because they simply love the world and Athena. That's a bullshit excuse. It was said in the sanctuary arc that if two gold saints were to fight, it would take a 1000 days for there to be an outcome. But seiya and the rest finish their fights in about an hours time for each gold saint. This should be the other way around, the gold saints and god warriors should be the victors in that amount of time because they are facing bronze saints. Cloths don't affect power levels, instead they affect durability. A bronze cloth shouldn't be able to continuously keep on taking attacks from gold saints over and over again; and this is shown in the anime don't get me wrong. However, even if Seiya's power level spikes and becomes temporarily more powerful than his opponent, his opponent should be relatively ok by taking a couple of hits because they're wearing a gold or god cloth. For instance, Shaka was clearly stronger than Aioria and they were both prepared to fight for a 1000 days; so strength alone is second to endurance. So I'm guessing in this show endurance is second to love which makes me think -_- seriously? That's just plain stupid.

And why the fuck is Athena so damn useless? She's a damn God, seriously wtf? She should be as powerful as Poseidon and Hades; or at the very least since she's their niece less powerful than them yet more powerful than gold saints. I absolutely hate how she is always a damsel in distress. So far it's happened in the sanctuary arc, the asgard arc and now the poseidon arc too. Urrrgghhh why????

Damn long ass post. I watched the first arc with ikki when I was a kid and had action figures too so my nostalgia and current views are conflicting. I want to like this show but I can't.
Sol_OuMar 31, 2014 12:06 PM
Feb 26, 2015 10:17 AM

Mar 2013
I also fell asleep numerous times during this filler arc, and it was painful to go through. It did have a few decent moments, but I couldn't take it seriously due to its non-canon nature, and being predictable.

I am very disappointed that the next arc IMMEDIATELY starts off with Saori being kidnapped. This is pathetic that the same crap has to keep happening, but only 15 more episodes of punishment i guess.

Only thing keeping me entertained is some of my favorite Seiyuu ever, many important characters from the Greatest of All Time LOGH, and dozens from Top Shounen Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z. Phoenix Ikki (Hori, Hideyuki- Captain Ginyu from DBZ and Maximillian Van Castrop from Logh, Ryuga from Hokuto no Ken) and his screams and moans an epic voice in particurlar are my favorite.
SlickDFeb 26, 2015 10:34 AM
Nov 24, 2017 5:49 PM

Dec 2016
Sol_Ou said:
One of the best!?? Wtf? Seriously? This arc was the most boring arc in any show I have ever watched. I literally fell asleep each episode. I'm not joking. I'm not saying this was a bad arc I'm just saying... no, actually I am saying this was a bad arc, a terrible arc even. Before this arc I was giving saint seiya a rating of 8; because of this arc it's now at 5 and I don't even feel like watching the rest of the damn series now. I had problems with the sanctuary arc too, but at least the fights in that arc were coolio; everything in this arc was shit.

Well... I respect your opinion but I disagree. How many filler arcs have you seen before which had this quality in the development of characters? The fights weren't made by the creator of the series, so of course they would feel different.

SlickDragon said:

I am very disappointed that the next arc IMMEDIATELY starts off with Saori being kidnapped. This is pathetic that the same crap has to keep happening, but only 15 more episodes of punishment i guess.

Do you realize this is the first time she was kidnapped, right? The Asgard arc isn't original. Unfortunately the studio stole this idea when Kurumada was working on the next arc and releasing the mangas. Yes, the silver saints tried to take her before but they failed miserably.

That said, don't worry guys. There are just some elements that will feel similar to the Asgard Arc but the plot/pacing is different. And we're back to non-filler territory ;)
SparkyonMar 20, 2018 5:10 PM
Nov 30, 2017 3:44 AM

Aug 2012
Oh Man the next arc is about saving Athena as well!? Seriously!? jeez how original.

I have to say I LOVED the Sanctuary Arc but Asgard was a real slog, I think knowing it was filler going in meant I knew full well exactly how this was going to go and nothing surprised me really. So far as filler arcs go it's pretty good at emulating the shows style the problem is it goes about it in the most methodical and boring way possible. The only real surprises were Seiya's mishaps along the way i.e getting stuck in that stone etc. But yeah for the most part once you recognize the formula of this arc it becomes truly boring. Not helped for English only speakers that there are no decent subtitles for this arc which means I had to settle for subs that gave me the basics of what was happening without much of the detail.

Hopefully this next arc gets the show back on track even if it means saving Athena again.
Apr 26, 2018 7:04 AM

Jun 2016
Saint Seiya is always good at looking back at the battles that have taken place, with the morally ambiguous and likable warriors on both sides who (for the most part) did not deserve to fall, and remind us how horrible war is. Hilda reminiscing over all her fallen young warriors and to all the pain she put the bronze saints and Athena through was a bitter reminder.

Asgard may not have been amazing as a story itself, but I can't say I've seen a filler arc better than it in the past. The fact it was a complete rehash of the gold saint battles of the Sanctuary arc made it more boring than it had to be, but I enjoyed it for what it was. That and the horrible subs that slowly got better but always struggled to get a coherent point across and were laughably vulgar. It's why this was the part of Saint Seiya that was the slowest to get through for me. However, if you forget about that stuff and look at it for what it is, I think you'd realize this filler arc was still something greater in quality than a fair share of what has come before it.
The God Warriors like Hagen, Fenrir, Mime, Siegfried, and especially Bud were actually good characters and the lackluster ones like Thor, who I enjoyed but admittedly found boring, or Alberich, who had a fight that went on far too long and sullied the value of his backstory, were a fairly small part of the overall arc. We got callbacks to the last arcs, we got new armor, we got our saints fighting with skills they learned in the battles with the golden saints to come out on top. We got some of the best music in the anime. We got immensely memorable speeches and ideological battles like Bud versus Ikki with his speech about how we ought to fight against fate and not our loved ones to one day be happy with them again. Or another from Ikki where he told Shun that even if all they do is prolong earth so that more wars can start, even if 'all they do is but a drop in the ocean, that those drops would cease to exist if they didn't fight. That all they have to live for is the future and hope, so stand up!'. These are topics I've already quoted in life and thought about in detail. Moreover, we got interconnected themes within these fights!
I genuinely thought God Warriors were great. The fights were another story, with me criticizing Thor's, Fenrir's, Alberich's pretty harshly in the past. I think Bud and Siegfried and Mime and even Hagen had some pretty memorable ones though, one's I would not scoff at! What I'm getting at is that I think this filler captured the heart of Saint Seiya and developed its cast even if mostly in strength oriented ways, while giving us a new look at people in a situation similar to our saints with their very own Athena-like leader. The formula and predictability of it did leave me exhausted quite a bit. It wasn't Saint Seiya's best, it dragged on at times, it was a rehash of the last arc shamelessly after it finished with rushed pacing at the start to get us into it, but nonetheless it was still the best filler I've ever seen, something I would not expect myself to say back when I had only seen the first two or three episodes of it.

For Saori to get kidnapped right at the end of the arc, that I'm worried about. I had already hoped the next arc wouldn't follow the trend of these last two. The trend of Saori being a hostage and our saints fighting battle after battle with no breaks. I understand @Sparkyon mentioned how this is the first time she's been truly kidnapped, but I would argue she's still been a hostage and in the enemies clutches in another way the last 57 episodes by either having an arrow through her heart, or by forcing her to risk her life against nature like she was during Asgard.

Sol_Ou said:
So I'm guessing in this show endurance is second to love which makes me think -_- seriously? That's just plain stupid.
Yes, and no. I do agree Saint Seiya in terms of literal narrative writing is messy as hell. It doesn't confine in written rules and the good guys always win because they're.. the good guys. I first thought this was a massive flaw in Saint Seiya, the 'good' fights were the ones which had the least amount of 'cosmos' talk. However, by watching it until now at some point I realized something. That Saint Seiya is about justice, fighting for justice and what that means. It analyzes it and counters other ideologies and concepts of it through argument and action. The saints fight other people fighting for their 'justice' in many cases. Therefore, the battles are a battle of such. The cosmos is what makes someone just, the more they show signs of it, the courage to fight evil, the self sacrifice to allow justice to prevail, the compassion and love required to know what's right, the perseverance to never give up, etc etc, the more they 'power up'. When you think of it this way you will realize that the power level system in Saint Seiya referred to as cosmos is actually something meaningful! It's a gloriously fun way to look at how we should aim to act, and an analysis on what is right. Sure, you have to accept that on face value the writing isn't consistent, as it breaks the rules in many scenarios(a saint dying if they get punched without armor, the 1000 day battle), or sometimes adds some for the sake of it- to never be seen again(such as the "if a saint dies you need to punch him in the back as hard as the blow which killed him"). Sure, these are legitimate problems and it's why I'm at times so conflicted about it. But think of it this way, in an analysis of justice to show people winning out of strength, or wits, or strategy would tend to turn Saint Seiya into a rule of cool, might is right story about guys who punch the villains to death, not a bittersweet analysis and battle of different senses of justices where the 'true' justice comes out on top via argument through action and even convinces many of the opponents to change their ways. Recall all the times we've heard that 'the winner is the one with the greater cosmos', cosmos being the will to fight for what's right as is evident from how they grow stronger and likewise weaker from reaffirming their resolve, or their resolve fading.

Long post I know, but I had a lot to say.
Apr 30, 2018 11:42 PM

Dec 2015
@gfsdfgsdgsdfgs A little warning: Kurumada will "forever" keep the same schema, repeating it sometimes in a single chapter.
About the music, Asgard got indeed the best ones. To the point that they were reused for the first Hades OAVs years later ("instead" of the Hades soundtrack created toward the end of the TV series).

Always nice to read you.

@Sparkyon Sorry if I didn't understand you but there is nothing else than structural informations here, I wrote this with enough care. Isn't it about another message?
Also, no need to talk dirty for a simple request. ^^"

edit: according to others sensibility
Rei_IIIMay 2, 2018 12:27 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 31 Discussion

barteq88 - Dec 2, 2010

11 by JVskunkape »»
Yesterday, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Who is your favorite Gold Saint?

removed-user - Aug 12, 2022

18 by Ex-Aid »»
Apr 24, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 104 Discussion

Albi-kun - Mar 19, 2015

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 23, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 105 Discussion

Monad - Dec 9, 2013

7 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 23, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya Episode 112 Discussion

Monad - Jan 13, 2014

4 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 11:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.