Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 16, 2007 4:00 PM

Oct 2006
I enjoyed this one - it feels like the plot is really starting to solidify now that the Gurren-dan is together and we know a little more about the Beastmen. I'm also looking forward to see how Kamina's character develops as he takes on the responsibility of being a leader, as was hinted at during the battle and afterwards during the scene with him and Yoko.
May 16, 2007 9:16 PM

Jan 2007
Great episode. Action scenes were great. I was really excited. Simon was pretty cool this episode. The only problems i had with this episode was that there was not enough Yoko and too much of the whole Kamina x Yoko stuff. Anyways, looking forward to the next episode. The preview looked awesome.

Yoko ftw~
May 16, 2007 11:15 PM

Nov 2006
I agree that there was way too much Kamina x Yoko stuff...I mean, come on Yoko, Simon was in danger of being killed too :\

Seeing Viral again was hilarious as usual, though. Human-headed beastman ftw~

Can't wait for the introduction of the loli that's shown in the characters section of the official website...though hopefully she won't only exist to have Simon paired with her. :(
May 19, 2007 7:48 PM
Apr 2007
this episode was amazing...the fight scenes with viral, awesome...lots of action and i agree that the story/plot is picking up now...learn info about the 4 generals and the spiral king so we know where the series is headed...this episode is exactly what the series needed after the extreme and blatant attempts to save money through the animation budget in episodes 4 and 6 (re-used animation sequences, a "recap" episode very early in the series, plenty of still images, lots of dialogue scenes with only the mouths animated, and a horrible frame rate inconsistency that made the animation look jagged)...i bumped the score back down to an 8 because of those problems right after i bumped it up to a 9 too... :(

kinda worried about the next episode though...with a title like "farewell comrades," it makes it seem like a character is gonna get killed off...
Nov 28, 2007 2:14 AM

Nov 2007
My speed reading capabilities screwed me over. While looking around for higher quality GL episodes then veoh had, I saw a small plot summary for episode 8...

... I read it automatically... T_T

You'll have to see it for yourselves... :P

But yeah this was an awesome episode. Loved it.
Apr 8, 2008 12:29 AM

Dec 2007
Awesome fight scenes and for some reason I have the feeling that Vic will be able to play Viral perfectly. It's pretty awesome how a bunch of people have now banded together with Ganmen and now we can expect much more epicness. Another thing that's now on my mind is who Yoko has feelings for, it's seem like Simon thus far but now it seems she might have a thing for Kamina, but hey, It's less than a third through the series so anything can happen.

#NBHNC
Apr 30, 2008 7:47 PM

Oct 2007
viral made this episode awesome... but is it just me or is the animation quality dropping ? :(
Aug 6, 2008 2:32 AM

May 2008
Really good episode.
Good action. Good story progression. Pretty much solid.
I'm really getting into this despite some things I generally dislike being in there.

I agree with others though, too much Yuko x Kamina.
I don't support this pairing. Mostly because I think Yuko is too good for Kamina.

And when is she gonna get her own Ganmen?:x

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 31, 2008 2:06 PM

May 2008
Awsome episode. it looks like now simon is going to stop being a coward. looking forward to seeing the gurren lagann brigade in acion with their new recruits.
Sep 22, 2008 8:19 AM

Jun 2007
Viral is cool because he sort of fits the whole "I'll get you next time" old school style of villain. You don't see enough of them these days.

I'm glad they're making Simon awesome, I think he's a much better fighter than Kamina because he actually uses all his braincells at once instead of lining them up single-file.

Also, I agree with the general sentiment of being against the Kamina and Yoko pairing. I don't hate Kamina, he's pretty funny, but I just can't see why everyone is jumping all over him. He gets very annoying after a while with all that shouting.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Sep 28, 2008 1:37 PM
Apr 2008
AWESOME!!!

TTGL is so good. I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I don't actually mind the YokoxKamina pairing, they're both still cool.

Next episode is gonna be uber :)

Sep 28, 2008 2:17 PM

Mar 2008
Yes it was (we'll be).... the most epic unification of Gurren Lagann ;)
Well.... the introduction of Daigurren-Dan was epic also.... (imo)

Sorry for my English ;)
Nov 27, 2008 8:39 AM
Apr 2008
The story is picking up which is awesome but I thought the main character of this anime was Simon. So far it's been all Kamina. Nobody seems to notice that Simon is even alive.
Mar 18, 2009 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
I don't think there was alot of Yoko x Kamina, I think she called out to him more because he was the one truly being reckless and Simon was agreeing with Yoko about retreating, it was convincing Kamina to leave, not Simon.

Anywho - this was a really good episode, things are getting exciting. The story is getting better and Simon was extremely awsome this episode, I don't see enough of him and I believed him to be the main character. I do not mind Kamina x Yoko though, they're good and I just love Yoko too much to dissagree with her likings. <3
May 13, 2009 1:06 PM

Sep 2008
Wow, can those annoying noisy women shut their traps about their precious "Kamina Kamina Kamina Kamina Kamina Kamina Kamina Kamina"

Simon was also fighting for christs sake! But no, I guess "Kamina-samas" life is worth more.
May 16, 2009 4:44 PM

Oct 2008
Good episode, liked the fight scences even though this show is quite similar to other shounen mecha shows. Simon seems to be developing now so that may be a sign for things to come. By the sounds of the preview it looks like some sort of tragedy is around the corner; an episode called "goodbye friends" doesn't sound too good to me.
Jun 20, 2009 6:21 PM

Dec 2008
Great episode! Full of action, and Simon's character is starting to develop, maybe the others will start giving him some credit from now on.
Jul 13, 2009 10:03 PM
May 2008
Another great episode... there is never a dull moment with Gurren Lagann. Viral absolutely made the action sequences in this episode... just hilarious.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 2, 2009 5:11 AM

Sep 2008
Good episode. But I'm definitely getting the feeling now that we're not seeing enough of Simon, who was basically the hero of this episode. :D Getting sort of tired of Kamina and all his big-talk; I was glad when he just shut up, sat back, and let Simon pilot Gurren Lagann.
Aug 29, 2009 1:25 PM

Aug 2009
The battle was epic. I hate the part of Kamina where he's not thinking at all. He just atatck and doesn't know how to surrender.
Brains are also needed in a battle field.
Sep 23, 2009 4:59 AM

Jul 2009
Another nice episode XD. I love the crazy art and animation on this series :P
Sep 23, 2009 11:30 AM

Apr 2009
Nonono, YokoxKamina moments, nono. DO NOT WANT.

Kamina sitting quietly even when it looked like Simon is
a) running away
b) getting trapped
was very meaningful. I love their friendship :) They're my OTP. In a yay-less sense, I mean xP OTF, if you will. (One True Friendship)

Of course, I'd been spoiled already for the next episode so I'm basically trying not to watch it now D: I'll fail miserably, cause I want to.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jan 23, 2010 5:21 AM

Jul 2009
It surely will be painful for Simon..Kamina x Yoko..but oh well..it happens
Feb 19, 2010 1:50 AM

Jan 2009
EPIC brigade!

Apr 15, 2010 11:05 AM

Nov 2009
"Put on some damn clothes!"

LOL XDD

also, Kamina x Yoko ftw >_>
Apr 15, 2010 7:59 PM

Apr 2010
Zell182 said:
Another nice episode XD. I love the crazy art and animation on this series :P

yeah awesome art and the op has been nice up till now

Jun 13, 2010 4:48 AM

Feb 2009
This is too much fast-paced crazyness... I LOVE IT!
Jul 21, 2010 9:40 PM

Jul 2010
Veethorn, I have to agree with you. So much shit happens all at once. It's awesome.
Oct 25, 2010 9:51 PM

Sep 2009
Loved that battle.
Allowing yourself to be hit and flown into the air to land on a large enemy?

Someone has been playing old Videogames. Classic strategy.
Dec 21, 2010 10:51 AM

Jul 2008
OranSolus said:
I'm glad they're making Simon awesome, I think he's a much better fighter than Kamina because he actually uses all his braincells at once instead of lining them up single-file.

LOL Mte.

Though I have to say that moment Simoun randomly made that slurping sound during battle was slightly disturbing.
Jan 4, 2011 10:40 PM

Aug 2010
Dunno if it's already been said but almost everything to do with that mobile fortress was a sexual inuendo. There are a lot of them in this series, even when there doesn't appear to be much of its fanservice.
Jan 30, 2011 8:19 PM

Aug 2010
Finally Simon takes the lead and does some pwning! I'm actually wondering who the real protagonist of this series is. Don't get me wrong, I like Kamina, but it feels like he's more important than Simon. Also, I don't support the Yoko x Kamina pairing. Feels a bit awkward to me. SIMON NEEDS MOAR LOVEEE.
Mar 19, 2011 11:18 AM

May 2010
Zzzz...

boooring
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 10, 2011 5:01 AM

Aug 2010
Surely didn't expect allies to come! Their army is growing in size!

BUt i also think Kamina's too reckless. THere are times when one needs to move back in a fight.

But i have a bad feeling about the next episode's title "Farewell comrades"...
Feb 26, 2012 10:34 AM

Nov 2011
I kind of dislike how they are winning their battles due to luck and heart but without strategy most of the time. I mean healing a wound due to fighting spirit is kind of lame. But at least the story is developing.
Kamina needs to become smarter, if hes this dum throughout the whole anime, its not going to be pleasant T_T.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Apr 1, 2012 3:06 PM

May 2011
Hell ya, Simon is turning into one hell of a fighter!
I agree with Yoko a little, Kamina did get out pretty lucky on that fight, he should be a little less reckless in these situations. Then again, it is still part of his character, but idk. =/
Apr 18, 2012 12:42 AM

Sep 2011
I disapprove of the Kamina x Yoko scene...

Anyways, this episode was much better than the previous episodes I must admit. Usually these things don't bother me but Kamina's never give up attitude annoys me like crazy... I have no clue why... -o-
May 4, 2012 1:59 PM

Mar 2012
DoubleTalKingReu said:
Dunno if it's already been said but almost everything to do with that mobile fortress was a sexual inuendo. There are a lot of them in this series, even when there doesn't appear to be much of its fanservice.

Oh yeah I def felt that way too. Felt like a call back to FLCL for a minute there. Feels like Simon still gets no love even though he pretty much owned the gunman in this episode.

Unfortunately, I've been spoiled for the next episode but I'll still try to enjoy it anyway. And the title for the next episode doesn't help matters either.
Jun 30, 2012 1:12 PM

Feb 2012
Kamina doesn't when to stop eh..?

At least Simon's there. Seems like the team is growing! :)
Aug 29, 2012 9:14 AM

May 2012
Great episode, the ending was most epic especially the battle and the new recruits of gunmen!
Sep 14, 2012 10:41 PM

Jun 2011
Needs more depth. All I've seen so far has been mindless action and over-the-top war cries.
Jan 21, 2013 10:52 AM
Jul 2012
Good episode.
Though i agree even you won the battle, sometimes you have to retreat.
Liked Kamina yoko talk at the end.
Flaming Chraiot kick ftw!
Liked that quote to the preview episode.
4/5

blue-y said:

BUt i also think Kamina's too reckless. THere are times when one needs to move back in a fight.

This.
Mar 14, 2013 2:16 AM

Nov 2008
Agree that we need to see more Yoko kicking ass, though i think Yoko x Kamina is pretty fine.
Mar 21, 2013 1:31 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Looking for more serious smaller character moments
Apr 13, 2013 6:15 AM
Mar 2012
You gotta be shitting me, asspulls after asspulls, this is fucking torture, I'm just waiting for ep8 now
May 24, 2013 9:54 PM

Sep 2010
lol everyone caught Kamina's stupidity bug and started stealing their own gunmanns xD

Also smart move by Simon using his drills to destroy the area around the beastman's base.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 8, 2013 5:44 AM
May 2012
They don't even give a fuck about simon anymore, they were all like KAMINA KAMINA KAMINA KAMINA while simon is there too kamina is getting all the praise and i hate it.

For some reason I really don't like yoko and kamina pairing it doesn't feel right to me.
Sep 22, 2013 9:57 AM
May 2013
Tengai said:
They don't even give a fuck about simon anymore, they were all like KAMINA KAMINA KAMINA KAMINA while simon is there too kamina is getting all the praise and i hate it.

How they don't give a fuck about Simon anymore, they like Kamina because he like Simon and so they indirectly give a fuck about Simon.

Yay KaminaxYoko moments, actually is SimonxYoko but indirectly.
Oct 17, 2013 2:28 AM

Oct 2012
Viral he's so understanding by giving time them to get dressed xD
Epic battle!!
Now, let's steal that big gunmen!!
Tengai said:
They don't even give a fuck about simon anymore, they were all like KAMINA KAMINA KAMINA

For some reason I really don't like yoko and kamina pairing it doesn't feel right to me.

Well, Kamina is the leader.. Simon really did a good job supporting Kamina
But if there's no Kamina there... Dai-Gurren team won't there

Well, maybe age different?

DarknessOfEmo said:
Good episode.
Though i agree even you won the battle, sometimes you have to retreat.
Liked Kamina yoko talk at the end.
Flaming Chraiot kick ftw!
Liked that quote to the preview episode.
4/5

blue-y said:

This.

Nonono! MC can't die in this early episode (Zetsuen no Tempest disagree)
"Signature removed"
Apr 4, 2014 5:07 PM

Oct 2013
new battle team!
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.