Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Dice Killing Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 25, 2013 7:08 PM

Dec 2012
Well that wrapped up nicely.
Dec 27, 2013 12:31 AM
Oct 2013
can someone explain in the third season of higurashi (Rei) why wasnt hanyuu a physical being?
Dec 27, 2013 7:48 AM

Sep 2010
She did what she had to, and that was enough of interference with the life of mortals.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Mar 22, 2014 10:24 AM

Dec 2013
So the whole accident was a dream? But it is how i thought:
all the worlds are parallel. That means there only like 2 "good" worlds. And all the other ones are going on with the mistakes from kei,rena satoko, shion and everytime with a dead rika. That's the sad thing i see in this whole story from Higurashi.
Apr 25, 2014 6:45 PM
Feb 2013
So, should we be glad we didn't see the mother die, or be killed. Oh, well, still good episode even if it was all talk.
May 27, 2014 12:11 PM

Sep 2012
That was a good episode but it would have been better if it had shown Rika killing her mother.
Jul 11, 2014 2:15 PM

Apr 2013
I'm perfectly fine with not seeing her killing her mother. But the "it was all a dream!" ending caught me by surprise. I mean, it's nice and everything, but it doesn't feel like Higurashi and i think it's a bit illegal in storytelling...

I was wondering about Bernkastel too, but as much as I got from here it's just for Umineko, and I wasn't intending to watch it...
Jul 20, 2014 1:53 PM

May 2014
Really loved part of the dialogue. It was really intelligent, but these Ova's are mediocre at best.
7/10
Aug 26, 2014 9:48 AM
Mar 2008
I'm not super into gore, but I really think showing Rika murdering her mother would have left 10x the impact on me. Shion can torture Satoko to death but Rika can't kill her own mother on screen? Seems backwards.

The emotional impact was gone by showing absolutely none of it on screen. Even showing her standing outside her mother's room with a knife would have been vastly better than what we got.
Mar 28, 2015 7:42 PM
Dec 2014
What's with the green light that floated from the shrine to rika's mother's pillow?? There's no explanation for that anywhere.
May 31, 2015 1:38 AM

Feb 2013
Really weird hearing Hanyuu talk like an adult lol, she had a daughter and everything @_@.

I enjoyed it though, it was quite good for only being 3 episodes long. I'm also fine with them not showing the mothers death, since it was all just a dream anyway.

But now I wonder what the last episode is gonna be, hopefully it won't be like the first one :/.
Jul 30, 2015 11:46 AM

Oct 2013
The birth of Bernkastel as a separate entity from Furude Rika...

I think the world of Saikoroshi was created when Frederica changed Tanashi Miyoko's fate at the end of Kai. But after Rika comes back into the "sinful" world, she realizes that as a human, she can no longer stay a transcendental entity and that triggers the birth of the "witch" known as Bernkastel.

Apr 20, 2016 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
I think there was a whole lot of fluffed internal conflict on Rika's end more than anything. It really doesn't adhere to the fact that she fought a long battle to win the world where the future moves on. I thought the metaphysical dialogue between Rena and Rika was something Rika should have understood while she was in that dream world.

All in all, it was supposed to be a lesson for Rika provided by Hanyuu, but I say that they didn't have to be so thorough about it. A very sub-par Higurashi experience, in my opinion. I shouldn't expect an OVA to convey a visual novel route's elements in a couple of episodes.
removed-userApr 20, 2016 10:32 AM
Jul 27, 2016 3:01 PM

May 2011
I loved this episode... I die. The "it all was just a dream" thing was ass, though.
Sep 21, 2017 1:31 AM

Sep 2011
Ah okay, so this is the true ending to the series. I actually really enjoyed this arc.
Apr 1, 2020 1:50 AM

Nov 2013
”A flower raised in a greenhouse is still beautiful, even though it knows no adversity. But a flower growing in the field that has braved wind, rain, cold , and heat possesses something more than just beauty.

What a great analogy from Rena!
Indeed, the world where you fight to obtain your future is far more precious. I think Rika’s despair stemmed from her inability to accept that the world she was in was the right choice. Instead of trying to weigh the happiness of the two worlds, she should accept and make the best out of what she is given, like Rena’s analogy with the candies.

What a great end to the story of Higurashi! Frankly, now having watched the crux of the storyline, it becomes clear that Steins;Gate took A LOT of inspiration from this anime.

I saw a lot of similarities between Rika and Okabe...

For instance,
1) Rika’s struggle to find the world where a future is possible with all her friends vs. Okabe trying to find a timeline where WW3 doesn’t happen and both Mayuri and Kurisu live.
2) Rika having to fake her death to fool the enemy vs. Okabe having to fool his younger self into believing Kurisu died
3) Rika almost losing hope in beating fate until Keiichi shows her how to create a miracle vs. Mayuri slapping Okabe after he almost gives up and telling him he isn’t a person who ever gives up on someone or something
4) Rika having trouble accepting that the world she’s in is the right one until Rena helps her realize to accept her choice vs. Okabe disappearing in the S;G movie because he feels he doesn’t belong in the Steins Gate world line until Kurisu implants him with the persona of Hyouin Kyouma to get him back.

All in all really impressive anime, I can see why this is such a classic for anime fans!
herricklukApr 1, 2020 2:00 AM
Apr 2, 2020 3:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that was deep.

Rena's analogy regarding the flowers was spot-on. Spending a 100 years of mending is almost certainly more "real" than an already-perfect world. As such, a really deep ending to the franchise. Who would've thought this was in store for me after all that bloody stuff first up?

Confusing bit over the Bernkastel drop and Hanyuu's explanation in the end. Was it really a dream to teach her about her "sin" (and for whatever led to Episode 2's start)? Or did it have to do with the God-like ability? Well, whatever the case, I feel like it's one of those endings the viewers make for themselves.

It was nice to have the backstory of Hanyuu, by the way. Pretty shocking stuff must've transpired, jeez.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 8, 2020 8:39 PM
Apr 2019
The ending was a little abrupt but I liked this arc; it goes to show a world won is better than being given a perfect one
May 29, 2020 1:34 PM

May 2018
and the tough decision choice ended just like that? I'm guessing they didn't show Rika killing her mother? Dammit Deen

Anyways Rena looks a little psychotic in the preview xD
May 29, 2020 8:18 PM
Oct 2019
No. That was pretty dumb.

A fake world/dream? Hanyuu randomly wanting to teach Rika a lesson? Wtf? Rena's dual world/god comparison, wut, huh?

And why did Hanyuu become invisible again? She was a real "person" leading up to Rika's bike accident and subsequent "dream".
May 30, 2020 4:08 AM

Jul 2019
The dialogues in this series has been nothing but great in this series. True ending of the series it seems
Aug 7, 2020 10:47 PM

Aug 2018
lol....so it was all fake hahaha

Aug 10, 2020 3:29 PM

Nov 2016
I don't like this vague shit so was it an ACTUAL dream or a METAPHORIC dream.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Sep 28, 2020 11:31 AM

Apr 2013
Well... what a boring-ass episode this was. Almost seems like Deen ran out of budget and decided to animate as little as possible. Too much talking without making a lot of sense ugh...
Nov 6, 2020 6:12 AM
Oct 2019
Wow... That was very great episode ..

Damn there are so many deep life message in there...
Dec 24, 2020 6:59 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, thats sort it off with quite a fast-forward method. So, it was a fragment of Hanyuu sin's after all, that wanted Rika to stopped unrespecting her parents, especially with her mother. A cleansing matter, i see. And more importantly, to took care of Rika's new life more than she did before. The precious old life always win against a perfection of another new world. Okay, then, very simple end.

The first part of Hanyuu's history kinda unexpected. Its took a lot of attention than i imagined before. More like an info trivia dump rather than a self explanatory kind of stories. Well, then, she was killed by her daughter. Because she was burden by her own sin and malice as a god. Glad that Hanyuu met with Rika to get a better understanding of her own live as a god, instead of always confined at the sinful matter in the past.

The explanations of Rena within the two different parallel worlds kinda made a sense for me. Thanks for that, Rena, and i really wanted that candy too >°< hawuu hawuu! At the end, its just a dream, and Hanyuu, officially just pranking Rika to realized the meaningful roles of her parents, once again as i said above.

However, Rika said that she was stopped being a witch Bernkastel, kinda awakened another side of her stigma that roaming around in another side of the parallel world that caught in the scene at the last episode of the second season. Lol. The detail of explanations behind that? Still unclear at this point i write up this comment.

Well, then, on to the last episode!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 24, 2021 5:06 AM

May 2010
Well, that's a dialogue-heavy episode.
But I kinda like it especially with Rena's metaphor.
I think I'm fine with the "dream" scenario.
But I felt there's a gap somewhere before she woke up.

Anyway, this sudden mention of Bernkastel stirs my curiosity. With some comments here, I might consider watching Umineko.
Jun 16, 2021 8:59 AM

Mar 2021
the ending to this arc really resonated with me. i've often thought about what my life would've been like under different circumstances, and whether or not i'd give up my current life to live in that alternate universe. but like rena said, there's no use worrying about what candy is in the other hand. i was worried that this arc would ruin the ending, but it didn't.
Jul 8, 2021 4:52 AM

Aug 2020
rika's talk with rena made me go back and forth with oh she chose wrong and oh she chose right lmao. Rena put it really well. About being a having the ability to chose and being a god and just being a person who can't decide.

Now I haven't read umineko to know who Bernkastel is especially with the shit where Uminerko Bern and Higu Bern could be different people but I genuinely believe that rn she is just Furude Rika.

Honestly, you really can't tell which was the right decision with just experiencing this so called perfect world for a month but just like Rena said, it isn't for us to decide where we live. Its our job to make it work or something like that lol.

overall really liked Saikoroshi and made me appreciate Kai even more.
Jul 24, 2021 10:37 PM

Jan 2019
Jrunner100 said:
Dumb episode. even if it was a dream she actually thought of killing her mom to go back to a shit show of blood and tears. The "perfect" world isnt even perfect its just what u would call normal and it seems rika doesnt like "normal" shes being a little bitch she did all the looping to find a world without tragedy AND GUESS WHAT???
turns out she doesnt want a world without tragedy anymore the whole show was just a fluke and i fell for it.
Everything you said here is wrong, in actuality you're just stupid and clearly didn't understand the themes or importance of the things that happened. Kek.
"Never underestimate the stupidity of the average anime fan"
Oct 6, 2021 3:34 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic dialogue, with a lot of analogies.

I'd like to think both worlds exist just like all the worlds we've seen in the previous two seasons, Hanyuu mentioning it was "just a dream" seems like a way for Hanyuu to comfort Rika since she obviously had a hard time dealing with what she'd done to her mother.

If anything Higurashi has taught us there's infinite possibilities of "our" world, it all comes down to what "you" experience as your own world.
Just like how Kai's ending is a lot different compared to how the world in Rei is.
PrOxAntoOct 6, 2021 3:44 PM
Nov 14, 2021 8:27 AM
Jun 2009
Interesting. I think Rika was too willing to accept the copes the club members were giving her, given that she (believed that she) had killed her mother. The question Rika should have been worrying about isn't whether it's better to have an easy life or not, but how she could live with herself after committing matricide for selfish reasons.

Either Hanyuu tricked Rika into believing she had killed her mother by waking her up after she set it up for Rika to think she has to kill her to return to the old world, or it was real and Hanyuu was lying in the end to preserve Rika's sanity.

I prefer to think that it was a dream, but it also makes sense as far as I understand the canon, as Hanyuu was never able to resurrect Rika in the world she died in before or so finely configure the new world that it would be indistinguishable from the old one with the exception of Rika's death.
Dec 28, 2021 7:45 AM
Jul 2021
i would like to think that this whole arc happened because of frederica Bernkastel because she changed miyo tanashi's fate by killing "takano" as tanashi's parents never died so she wouldn't have gone to hifumi takano's place where she learnt about the hinamizawa syndrome. so the dice killing hinamizawa happened as a direct consequence of frederica's action. when furude rika returns to the original sinful world of hinamizawa which she and all her friends fought for, she becomes human as in not someone who would be super dependent on hanyuu. this might have triggered the creation of bernkastel who is this deity which is above a human and below a god which will make her a witch. anyways higurashi was an awesome journey
Jan 14, 2022 8:30 PM

Dec 2009
Overall 6/10 for the Dice Killing Chapter.
Unfortunately I have yet to read the source visual novel of Rei, so I don't know the true full insight or how faithful the manga or the anime was, but many fans claim that the manga is better and more faithful.

Assuming they're right, I do think the manga is better in potraying Rika's anger and loneliness of living in this other world where she's a loner with the villagers not caring for her like normal, to the point she rages and attacks Satoko with a chair, which was awesome... but I prefer the pacing of the manga.
In the manga she's very depressed and cries often from frustration, unlike the anime which isn't as clear.

A lot of events were mixed up in their order, with her father being completely cut-out and Rika hugging and crying for her mother was all excluded in the anime.
Disappointing, especially if that is indeed from the source material of the visual novel.
The origin from Higurasi of Rika's name of Frederica Bernkastel coming from a alcholoic bottle while first speaking to Yamamoto was left out (from the manga, 'no idea what the actual origin of this name is from the visual novel, but I do know it's unclear till this day)

I imagine the visual novel is the same for the most part to the manga and anime adaption, albeit with more insight...
so I think more depth to time with her family doesn't exist which is disappointing, because even though the theme of accepting one's present life without wishing for another life, and finally realizing guilt of her mother's death is apparent, the lack of scenes with her parents is very disappointing.
I wish Rika had a little more time to grieve her parent's death instead of quickly realizing Hanyuu caused that dream to teach her. ...Although, she's lived over 100+ years and accepted it in that moment, so I guess there wasn't a need.
waalex11Jan 14, 2022 8:37 PM
Nov 16, 2022 7:59 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
At first I was disappointed we didn’t get to see Rika do the deed of killing her mom in the other world, but after learning the truth in the 2nd half of the episode I’m kinda glad we didn’t see it. The fact all of that was a dream created by Hanyu to help Rika made it more wholesome, and if we saw her actually kill her mom that would have hurt that feeling lol, the final shots of Hinamizawa as Rika and Hanyu talked left me with a warm feeling after such a big decision Rika was faced with. Of course it’s possible she was lying and it wasn’t a dream, but the value of the experience and the lessons learned are still there.

I also really loved Rena’s analogy in this episode, she had a great one before with the broken cup and again here with the flower analogy and the picking a hand thing, Rena’s brain really is galaxy sized in these classic series lol, but I like it, it makes it so easy to understand what point she’s trying to make and hearing it from Rena makes it nice too. I’m definitely a fan of this little arc after the main series, I’m really glad I watched this. The fanservice is great too lol.
TheColonel76Nov 16, 2022 8:03 AM
Apr 9, 2023 6:01 AM
Oct 2012
some of the best writing in the series. Mion referencing the river Styx and Rena's analogy were amazing. People who skip these OVAs are really missing out.
Oct 12, 2023 12:41 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
I think I'm totally forget that this is dark anime theme cause when rika has to choice and made decision to kill her mother it really shocked me very well, damn totally speechless
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gar_Logan - Aug 19, 2009

245 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 19, 11:40 AM

» Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei [Visual Novel Discussion]

waalex11 - Apr 14, 2023

1 by Ricedumpismyname »»
Apr 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

phinix_down - Feb 14, 2009

190 by --bee-- »»
Jan 2, 2023 1:21 PM

» am i the only person disgusted by all this 'loli' shit?

AiyanaMiyuki - Dec 25, 2021

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 6, 2022 10:37 PM

» So... Miyo Takano is perfectly okay now???

Y-Stylzz - Sep 22, 2018

10 by _Adrian02_ »»
Sep 27, 2022 5:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.