Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watch the RAW of a new anime or wait for the sub?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 25, 2013 9:50 PM

Aug 2011
I watch English subs that have been translated from Russian subs, which were originally translated from Korean subs using google translate. I do this while watching with Chinese audio.
Nov 25, 2013 10:07 PM

Sep 2013
Of course I am going to wait for the sub. I like to know what is happenening, since I hardly know any Japanese.
Nov 25, 2013 10:13 PM

Jan 2009
gonna wait for the damn subs since i do not understand japanese language
Nov 26, 2013 12:24 AM

Apr 2013
I always wait for the subs because I wouldn't understand anything otherwise...
The only exception is Monogatari Second Season which I always watch raw.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 26, 2013 12:37 AM

Apr 2010
Subs ONRY. Sometimes raw manga/manhwa.
Nov 26, 2013 12:47 AM

May 2013
Celestrial2 said:
well, i mean, if you don't understand japanese, why would you watch it raw?
Nov 26, 2013 12:51 AM

Jul 2013
I doubt that there are people who do that.... well not unless you're someone who understand their language.
Nov 26, 2013 1:02 AM
Nov 2013
Subs usually come out fast so not much point watching raws. I only watch raws for hentai since I'm not really interested in the story hehe.
Nov 26, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2011
Most of the time, I wait for the subs but if I have knowledge on the source material(For instance, White Album 2), I watch it raw.

Nov 26, 2013 4:15 AM

Oct 2009
I don't know why it is so taboo. Anime is still very enjoyable even if you cannot understand the anime. They make episodes available raw on dvd's and you can do the same thing.
Nov 26, 2013 4:53 AM

Dec 2012
Nah, I'm not that impatient. Besides I would probably get bored if I was going to watch something twice even if I didn't understand it the first time.
Nov 26, 2013 5:03 AM
Aug 2013
i didn'yt learn japanese

so why the watch raw m8?
Nov 26, 2013 5:20 AM

Jun 2011
i always wait for the subs.
if i watched a RAW episode i wouldn't understand 90% of the talk.. by that it will takes away the enjoyment factor.
Satou0KunNov 26, 2013 7:33 AM
Nov 26, 2013 7:05 AM

Nov 2011
mattbenz99 said:
i dont speak japanese so why would i watch it raw? and either way crunchyroll releases the episodes after just 1 hour after it is released in japan so they normally get their version up before the raw is even up

You can watch the raw while its airing in Japan. Subs are never faster than the raw version.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 26, 2013 7:14 AM

Oct 2012
I've tried watching raws at someone's house on their TV. Couldn't really understand half of what they're saying, so I didn't really get the character's actions. It just so happens the anime is Noucome, and I'm treated with a scene where some girl gets her breasts groped by another girl for a good 5 minutes. And I had no freaking idea why the hell she was doing that.

I gotta learn more Japanese. Subs for now.
Nov 26, 2013 7:20 AM

Jun 2013
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:
i dont speak japanese so why would i watch it raw? and either way crunchyroll releases the episodes after just 1 hour after it is released in japan so they normally get their version up before the raw is even up

You can watch the raw while its airing in Japan. Subs are never faster than the raw version.
Have patience, young padawan.

Unless I understood japanese near perfectly, subs would always be better, since you get a more full understanding of what's happening. If you're a person that does understand it, I don't see why not.

Nov 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Nov 2011
zdude18 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

Your point?

I just corrected him.

Nov 26, 2013 9:23 AM

Jun 2013
rederoin said:
zdude18 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

Your point?

I just corrected him.
Oh sorry. I was under the impression that you were saying that because raws come out first, they are better. My bad.

Nov 26, 2013 9:43 AM

Apr 2012
For the vast majority of people, there is literally no point in watching raw if you don't at least understand basic Japanese. Other than a few basic words and phrases, you wouldn't understand anything actually relevant to the show, so it seems like a complete waste of time to me, unless the show was just that reliant on situational cues (like a simple slice of life or something).

Except for very rare occasions, I always wait for the subs to come out. I don't use anime as a tool to assist in learning Japanese, so I enjoy it through my mother language. The only exception was the Chuunibyou OVA, the Hidamari Sketch Graduation OVA (once it gets to my mailbox) and the SKET Dance OVA (heck, I watched raw then went ahead and subbed it myself; you can thank me with a Karen).

With services like Crunchyroll providing ~3 day or less since time of broadcasts subs, I don't see the difficulty in waiting. I mean, don't we do other things to pass the time besides watching anime?
AndyRayyNov 26, 2013 9:48 AM

Nov 26, 2013 10:31 AM

Jul 2007
The only show which I watched raws (I also tried to watch the live stream ahahaha) was Umineko since I'm a big fan (and I had read the VN already so it was easy to know/understand what was going on).
Nov 26, 2013 12:11 PM

Sep 2013
What in the hell kind of question is that?? If ya dont understand Japanese fluently, why the hell would ya watch the raw only to be utterly confused by everything but the animation and if ya do understand Japanese, why the hell would ya bother to wait for the subs??
Nov 26, 2013 12:13 PM

Nov 2012
I wait for the sub of course...
Nov 26, 2013 1:30 PM

Mar 2013
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

i dont have a japanese receiver or anything to watch anime the exact second it aires. but as for the internet crunchyroll still beats out 99.9% of fansubbers in terms of speed that they release the content
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Nov 26, 2013 1:32 PM
Mar 2011
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

i dont have a japanese receiver or anything to watch anime the exact second it aires. but as for the internet crunchyroll still beats out 99.9% of fansubbers in terms of speed that they release the content

not the amount of content
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 26, 2013 1:35 PM

Mar 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

i dont understand what you mean
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Nov 26, 2013 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
Um, no. But I might do it in the future if I already read the manga, that way I'd know what will go on in the episode.
Nov 26, 2013 4:16 PM
Mar 2011
mattbenz99 said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

look what fan subbers have touched that Offical People have not
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 26, 2013 4:24 PM

Mar 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
mattbenz99 said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

yes but the official guys have subbed all the popular shows that most people in the west would want to watch.

Nov 26, 2013 4:27 PM
Mar 2011
mattbenz99 said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
mattbenz99 said:
NoSurrender1690 said:
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

yes but the official guys have subbed all the popular shows that most people in the west would want to watch.

how do they kniw what people like people will watch what is avavbile

Nov 26, 2013 4:33 PM

Mar 2013

they license the most popular shows in north america. you have to understand that what is popular in japan is not necessarily going to be popular in north america or vice versa.

Nov 26, 2013 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
Nah, never. Wouldn't want to rewatch those episodes and only watching them subbed makes not much sense for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 26, 2013 4:42 PM
Mar 2011
mattbenz99 said:

they license the most popular shows in north america. you have to understand that what is popular in japan is not necessarily going to be popular in north america or vice versa.

you miss ubderstood me

ypu cannot tell them to licnses anime people will watch what is avavaible if somthing if not avalaible they cannon watch it

that was my point

but what they do licses help make naime more Niche in the US late night shows that have zero Mainstream Markerablity in the west

why do oyu think for the most part most of the meach for them late night anime never crosses the oceans for Us disrebution that was my ponit

get an afternoon or Morniing anime [ do a deal with person to sell the stuff ]

and see what money thay can make

for example Battle Sprits that could print money [ via Toys- game ect in the us but no ]

Nov 26, 2013 5:19 PM

Nov 2011
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

I´m not talking about subs.

Even without Japanese tv you can watch the raw way before the subs appear.
Unless CR starts releasing anime at the same time as it airs in Japan, subs will always be slower. I'm honestly surprised that I even need to explain this.

Nov 26, 2013 5:21 PM

Dec 2012
I only watch the raws for OVAs as they usually take a while before the subs come out.
Nov 26, 2013 5:26 PM

Mar 2013
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

Unless CR starts releasing anime at the same time as it airs in Japan, subs will always be slower. I'm honestly surprised that I even need to explain this.

well 1 hour is still pretty damn fast so i will stick with crunchyroll

Nov 26, 2013 5:30 PM

Nov 2011
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

well 1 hour is still pretty damn fast so i will stick with crunchyroll

Thats fine, but that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Nov 27, 2013 12:09 PM

Apr 2012
If I can speak/understand fluent Japanese, of course I would watch raw.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 27, 2013 5:41 PM

May 2013
i always wait for subs, but there are a couple select animes where i have watched the raws, just because i was too excited for the new episode ;;
Nov 28, 2013 4:00 AM

Feb 2011
Watch in RAW, with my level of Japanese it's quite possible ^_^ The only exception for now is mecha animes, especially when they use all that terminology which sometimes even hard to understand in our own language....
Nov 28, 2013 4:58 AM

Aug 2012
Nope, i always wait for subs even when i'm rly hyped for it.
Nov 28, 2013 5:08 AM

May 2009
I normally wait, but there have been a few exceptions. The second season of Gundam 00 wasn't simulcasted and I was too excited to wait until the next day in order to watch it. Also watched the livestream of Shingeki weekly.
Nov 28, 2013 5:16 AM

Oct 2013
Wait for sub or I will just get confused when watching RAW.
Nov 28, 2013 2:22 PM

Nov 2013
Unless I understand Japanese (Which I probably never will)
I wait for the sub.
"I'm going to have to work harder to open your eyes, aren't I?" ~Erudito
"You're here because you want to feel like something you're not, a hero."
"Do you feel like a hero yet?" ~Konrad
Nov 28, 2013 3:54 PM
Nov 2013
i'd wait for the subs since i can't really understand Japanese.
Nov 28, 2013 4:01 PM

Sep 2013
I wait for the subs, i dunno japanese
Nov 28, 2013 7:47 PM

Oct 2013
always wait for subs, if no subs then dub if neither then i wouldnt watch it of be forced to drop it (which has unfortunately happened on a few shows)
Nov 28, 2013 7:55 PM

Nov 2010
Death_Raja said:
always wait for subs, if no subs then dub if neither then i wouldnt watch it of be forced to drop it (which has unfortunately happened on a few shows)
What show have you watched where there was no subs but there were dubs?
Nov 28, 2013 10:34 PM

Oct 2013
some of the older shows i have looked into didnt have any links on the subbing sites i look at but i found the links on dubbing sites,

but mostly i found a few that didnt have either and the only links i could find were raw
Nov 28, 2013 10:42 PM

Jun 2012
Since I can't speak Japanese, I wait an extra few hours/days to watch a new episode.
Nov 28, 2013 11:05 PM

Mar 2009
Now a days I watch the raw (as in on TV here in Japan). Studied in college, so watching TV really helps with understanding. So I tend to watch the Raws even though I only understand about 40-60% of whats being said. Unless it's super technical then I'm completely lost.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

134 by cold_void344 »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 hours ago

46 by WatchTillTandava »»
6 minutes ago

» What are you watching right now??

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

41 by Horshu »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » is anime an escapism for you?

deg - Apr 21

29 by Horshu »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

16 by mentalmondai »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.