Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Kiseijuu' (Parasyte) to Receive Two Live-Action Films and a TV Anime Series [Update 2/6]

New
Nov 19, 2013 6:26 PM

Feb 2012
It has been announced that Manga series Kiseijuu (Parasyte) will be receiving two live-action films along with a TV animated series. The two different projects will be produced together.

The two live-action films will be directed by Takashi Yamazaki, whose previous work includes directing the live-action Space Battleship Yamato film. The first film is expected to be released December 2014 with the second film expected some time in 2015.

More details on the TV anime series will be given at a later date.

The official site for the two projects is open. Currently, information on three cast members along with the story for the live-action films is given. More will be added to the site later on.

Source: Anime!Anime!

Kiseijuu on MAL

Update February 6
According to sources, the anime series will be broadcasted in Fall 2014. Detailed information has not yet been revealed.

Source: Yaraon, Crunchyroll

Discussion continues from here.
Sakana-sanApr 4, 2016 12:29 PM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 19, 2013 6:33 PM

Apr 2010
Cool, didn't expect an anime announcement of this.
Nov 19, 2013 6:33 PM

Aug 2011
HORROR. YES. MY DAY HAS COME. Wow I'm really happy, I haven't read this but the manga covers look great. I guess I'll get on reading this now. Production I.G. would be great.
Nov 19, 2013 6:39 PM

Sep 2012
Fans have given up on KISEIJUU to get anime adaptation long time back when the manga ended (or even before). It was a popular cult manga back then and rumor (or just fans' wish) that it will get anime adaptation was always in the air. Now the question is: Why Now?

As for the live-action films, I am not sure how good the special effect will be. I have worry that the SE may look cheesy and unconvincing which will diminish the impact and entertainment value.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 19, 2013 6:40 PM

Sep 2012
Sounds interesting, i'm looking forward to watching this.
Nov 19, 2013 6:40 PM

Nov 2012
after 18 years it's getting a few adaptations. FUCK YES!!!
I'm so stoked, the manga was pretty good especially if you're into monster living under human skin, trying to fit in with society(e.g. Devilman).

Though I wonder what sparked the idea of this manga getting adapted

Now I hope Eden: It's an Endless World gets an adaptation too.
RX-782Nov 19, 2013 7:12 PM
Nov 19, 2013 6:46 PM
Nov 2008
I just hope that they leave the gore. D:
Nov 19, 2013 6:47 PM

Sep 2012
So funny, I bought this from Mixx in the '90s before I was reading Japanese and I still have the old magazines, with "Lefty" because the pages were flipped left to right so everyone was left handed in the bad old days of manga. Names changed, etc. "Adapted" rather than translated... The first right to left books all had "STOP you're doing it wrong! Start at the other end!" on the 'first' page in the left side of the book, very funny.

Again, why now? Kind of weird... Kodansha did re-release the manga a few years ago but again you wonder why... though it would be fun to see it properly after all these years.
Nov 19, 2013 6:48 PM

Nov 2012
dvp89 said:
The gore isn't very explicit and a baby can even stomach it.
Nov 19, 2013 6:50 PM

Sep 2012
Nope- said:
dvp89 said:
The gore isn't very explicit and a baby can even stomach it.
IIRC there are quite a number of explicit gore scenes in the manga though...

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 19, 2013 6:51 PM

Oct 2013
looks pretty interesting, will have to give the manga a read
Nov 19, 2013 6:53 PM

Feb 2010
Looks very interesting, I'll be sure to check out the Tv series.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 19, 2013 7:02 PM

Jan 2009
that looks interesting
Nov 19, 2013 7:19 PM

Oct 2012
Been meaning to read the manga for ages.

If it's as good as I'm told then this is great news. Will certainly watch the anime.

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
Nov 19, 2013 7:27 PM

May 2011
The Manga synopsis definitely looks intriguing. Will watch the Anime adaptation for sure.
Nov 19, 2013 7:28 PM

Sep 2012
I found more information from Yomiuri's report which goes to explain a little bit of WHY NOW question
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/news/20131120-OHT1T00020.htm

Apparently some groups in Hollywood actually bought the right to produce film adaptation back then so nobody else, including firms in Japan, could touch this manga for film adaptation. And the right finally expires this year, which is why finally some Japanese group can take up the right to make those films. In fact at least a dozen firms competed for the right and it was finally won by Toei.

However, it does not mention anything about anime adaptation right. It seems the anime part is more like a tag-on for the live-action film project...

Nov 19, 2013 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
So freaky.
[center]
Nov 19, 2013 7:51 PM

Nov 2011
For those who have read the manga, is the story decent? I'll likely give this a try though after reading that premise.
Nov 19, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2012
Stark700 said:
For those who have read the manga, is the story decent? I'll likely give this a try though after reading that premise.
The art is so so but the story is deeply intriguing. The manga was (and perhaps still is) a legend back in 90s. Back then I would say it was as famous as Ah My Goddess which was also serialized in Afternoon magazine.

Nov 19, 2013 8:08 PM

Nov 2012
Stark700 said:
I enjoyed it and the underlying themes + views and realism the series presents about the parasites/aliens.
RX-782Nov 19, 2013 8:32 PM
Nov 19, 2013 8:14 PM

Sep 2012
^ Yes, I think the message it conveyed and thought-provoking ideas it presented are some of the biggest appeals of the manga. Kind of compensate for the really mediocre art.

Nov 19, 2013 8:14 PM

Dec 2010
YESSSS. YESSSS. The manga was so damn good. Definitely deserves an adaptation of any kind.
Stark700 said:

The story is great, makes you really think. It's a fascinating read that's probably worth your time.
Nov 19, 2013 8:18 PM
Dec 2007
Oh F*** Yeah !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 19, 2013 8:35 PM

Sep 2010
Alright! My third longstanding adaptation wish will finally become a reality. ^o^

(Two others, Level E and Usagi Drop, were both fulfilled in 2011.)
Naysayers almost effortlessly make the possible seem impossible since they usually just parrot generalized, oversimplified, or uninspired arguments. However, the proper, but significantly more difficult way to refute an idea is to discredit all major and most minor cases. In contrast, a single convincing solution can prove feasibility though it isn't a trivial pursuit either.
Nov 19, 2013 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
^ You are really a lucky man! Two of your three wishes are projects that fans had long given up before they sprung back to life long after the manga had ended !

Nov 19, 2013 9:17 PM

Sep 2011
Oh man so cool, Parasyte is so underrated.
Nov 19, 2013 9:18 PM

Sep 2012
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Perhaps in the west, but in Japan it is a legend.

Nov 19, 2013 9:20 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, I remember reading this 4/5 years ago and completed it in one go because of how interesting it is. Had no idea it was such a legend long ago and still manage to get adaptations now.
Pupa, Parasyte and maybe Hakaijuu too someday?

Will watch just to see how it's done with today's animation and to refresh my memories of it :P
I hope this will somehow sparks more adaptations of old manga :)

Nov 19, 2013 9:34 PM

Jun 2008
I have been waiting forever for this to happen but I thought it never would. I am so happy!! Hopefully, the anime adaption follows the manga closely so I can finally have a new anime to add to my favorites. I am super excited for this.
Nov 19, 2013 9:39 PM

Oct 2012
Looks cool o.o Will watch.

Nov 19, 2013 9:49 PM
Mar 2010
Never heard of this but the synopsis sounds very intriguing not to mention many say it's really good! Will definitely look out for this.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Nov 19, 2013 10:05 PM

Apr 2009
A TV adaptation 19 years later? I hope some Gonzo doesn't screw it too hard.

Nov 19, 2013 10:06 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
symbv said:
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Perhaps in the west, but in Japan it is a legend.

Not really. Older "western" manga and anime fans sure have read and loved Kiseiju. It's just the newer fans who are less familiar with the classics. You can say the same about the younger Japanese fans.

And yes, Kiseiju is undeniably a classic. There is absolutely no doubt about that.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 19, 2013 10:19 PM

Sep 2012
wakka9ca said:
It's just the newer fans who are less familiar with the classics. You can say the same about the younger Japanese fans.
And yes, Kiseiju is undeniably a classic. There is absolutely no doubt about that.
So I guess the "underrated" remark is less about judging the manga than pure awareness?

I wonder why Uriel_The_Fourth used the word "underrated" then. Because it is (over)used so much? To me, the word means that it is rated too low by people who read it than he thinks it should be. Don't see how it can be used to mean a work that is too unknown and obscure to people.

Nov 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Aug 2010
This is gonna be crazy. Hope both the anime and the live action live up to the source material!
Nov 19, 2013 11:11 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
symbv said:
wakka9ca said:
It's just the newer fans who are less familiar with the classics. You can say the same about the younger Japanese fans.
So I guess the "underrated" remark is less about judging the manga than pure awareness?

I wonder why Uriel_The_Fourth used the word "underrated" then. Because it is (over)used so much? To me, the word means that it is rated too low by people who read it than he thinks it should be. Don't see how it can be used to mean a work that is too unknown and obscure to people.

Because "underrated" invariably brings out the question: compared to what and using what criteria?

In that sense, are the most popular series "overrated" simply because of their popularity? (i.e. like a fad).

In my opinion, most good manga do not appeal much to anime watchers or casual mainstream manga readers. It is very hard for me to convince someone who has only read Bleach and a few shounens to read Urasawa's work for example. However, once they start, they can't stop. :)

In other words, it just simply lack awareness and there is a gap between its artwork and the modern artwork. However, I like the classic style. It's actually more creepy.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 19, 2013 11:18 PM

Sep 2012
I think there is some problem with some of the usage of the word "underrated" and "overrated". The word, as it stands, means under-evaluated. And if the work is not even known by people how could the work been possibly evaluated?? It seems people just use them because they are so easy to come by. People just use it without really giving much thought about its actual meaning.

As for artwork, I don't really think it is a matter of old vs modern artwork as even now there are a lot of manga with sketchy and plain art work that borders on amateurish (like Kiseiju). I think it is just the author's style. His later work, Historie, actually has improved art but it is still plain and sketchy, though at least it doe not look as amateurish as in some parts of Kiseiju.

Nov 20, 2013 12:18 AM

Oct 2008
I found the manga to be kinda meh. But I guess I'll still watch the anime.
Nov 20, 2013 12:31 AM

Jun 2011
HOLY SHIT YES! Been meaning to read the manga, but now I see I can wait for the anime!! XD Hopefully it won't be too long from now!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 20, 2013 12:34 AM

Apr 2011
I have been waiting for an anime adaptation. Such good news!
HungLikeaZombieNov 21, 2013 1:41 AM
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Nov 20, 2013 1:13 AM

Feb 2011
Looks awesome! Definitely watching this.
Nov 20, 2013 1:24 AM

Sep 2012
HungLikeaZombie said:
I have been waiting an anime adaptation. Such good news!
If you have been waiting then you have been very patient! The manga is quite old, good but almost a classic I'd say by now.
Nov 20, 2013 1:34 AM

Aug 2009
Will be looking forward to the anime adaption! :-)
Imho Parasyte was a great manga. Hope they keep the gore in the anime!
Nov 20, 2013 1:39 AM

Mar 2012
My GOD, Jojo 3 and now Parasyte anime announcements. Please, dont wake me up.
Nov 20, 2013 1:57 AM

May 2010
holy shit, when I started to lose hope on this getting an adaptation, it gets the green light! good shit Japan!
Nov 20, 2013 1:58 AM

Nov 2009
They'd better make anime of Historie.
Nov 20, 2013 3:02 AM

Mar 2012
hpulley said:
HungLikeaZombie said:
I have been waiting an anime adaptation. Such good news!
If you have been waiting then you have been very patient! The manga is quite old, good but almost a classic I'd say by now.

Yep, it's almost a classic manga.
Just read it months ago and I still find it fantastic.
Nov 20, 2013 3:12 AM
Jul 2012
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. HOLY NUGGETS, I CAN'T WAIT.
Nov 20, 2013 3:30 AM

Sep 2012
Jody32 said:
symbv said:
I found more information from Yomiuri's report which goes to explain a little bit of WHY NOW question
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/news/20131120-OHT1T00020.htm

Apparently some groups in Hollywood actually bought the right to produce film adaptation back then so nobody else, including firms in Japan, could touch this manga for film adaptation. And the right finally expires this year, which is why finally some Japanese group can take up the right to make those films. In fact at least a dozen firms competed for the right and it was finally won by Toei.

However, it does not mention anything about anime adaptation right. It seems the anime part is more like a tag-on for the live-action film project...
Hollywood why do you do this to us?

>Toei
Into the trash it goes...
Nov 20, 2013 3:31 AM

Sep 2012
Vladz0r said:

>Toei
Into the trash it goes...
NOTE:

Toei got the right to the live action adaptation, but we do not know if it also got the right to the anime adaptation or if its animation division will do the TV anime adaptation.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 12 hours ago

48 by Memore »»
5 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 2 hours ago

1 by deg »»
41 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
Yesterday, 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.