Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Nov 23, 2013 12:30 AM
Nov 2012
Well, I watched the movie and... Wtf D:

I was here for the premiere in France on November 22nd.

Nov 23, 2013 3:25 AM

Feb 2013
Well....holy shit....I don't even...wow....
Nov 23, 2013 12:06 PM
Jul 2010
Ok, watched this movie in Paris yesterday and... well, I've come to terms with the Homura thing and such, since when you think about it's natural progression for her character. Now I won't write some big huge wall of text or such on this unless someone "makes me" but either way, I'm here to ask about something. I understand Homura's motivations and can reason them out to a big extent. But for you people out there who rated this movie a 9 or 10, can you explain to me not the why but the how she did it? And I don't mean theories like something based on the karmic balance and how Homura, being the one connecting the timelines together with Madoka as the focal point held a great deal of karmic power too (this makes sense but is never even hinted at in this movie), or something like she having learned from the Incubators' plan on how to hijack the Law of Cycles because that never happened (Kyubey never said anything more than simply admitting their intentions when Homura herself reasoned it out).

So. As the huge PMMM fan that I am, I have an open mind to this question, and I'd love to be proven wrong. In episode 9 of the TV series Kyubey talks about the power of emotions (in general) not being bound by thermodynamics, but there's never any indication about the Soul Gems working with anything else other than the hope/despair dichotomy. And I also understand that Homura's point is that the grief filling her Soul Gem is only a byproduct of her love for Madoka, hence that's a way for that emotion to work its way into the Incubators' system. BUT. There's a huge leap from there into what happened and no guiding lines to deduce it from. If anyone's noticed any, please tell me so. It'd solve one of the 3 major problems I have with this movie.
Nov 23, 2013 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
My main problem with this movie is that it completely debunks Homura/Mami as an at all possible pairing.

I am very sad when OTPs become utterly sunk.

But other than that, Homulucifer is a -brilliant- villain. Basically the only yandere I like.
Nov 23, 2013 12:28 PM
Jul 2010
SappyRomantic said:
My main problem with this movie is that it completely debunks Homura/Mami as an at all possible pairing.
Why is that, if I might ask? For once, I never once saw how people can consider Homura/Mami an OTP, but if you do, then I fail to see what makes you think something has changed. Is that because of Homura's monologue? She just states what the TV series showed. If anything, she does so showing a little more of sympathy than I would have expected, tbh.
Nov 23, 2013 12:51 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Dusk252 said:
SappyRomantic said:
Why is that, if I might ask? For once, I never once saw how people can consider Homura/Mami an OTP, but if you do, then I fail to see what makes you think something has changed. Is that because of Homura's monologue? She just states what the TV series showed. If anything, she does so showing a little more of sympathy than I would have expected, tbh.
Who in their right mind would even have considered Homura/Mami as a possible pairing at any point since the beginning of the franchise?
Nov 23, 2013 1:13 PM
Jul 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Dusk252 said:
SappyRomantic said:
Who in their right mind would even have considered Homura/Mami as a possible pairing at any point since the beginning of the franchise?
That's exactly what I said, though. Just saying that if they do, I don't see why they think the movie changes anything.
Nov 23, 2013 1:18 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Dusk252 said:
HaXXspetten said:
Dusk252 said:
SappyRomantic said:
That's exactly what I said, though. Just saying that if they do, I don't see why they think the movie changes anything.
Yeah I wasn't arguing against you, was just saying :3
Nov 24, 2013 1:17 AM

Oct 2008
Azalonozul said:
I think the reason Homura imprisoned Godoka was pretty justifed.

I don't.
Nov 24, 2013 4:45 AM
Jul 2010
Yakuri said:
Azalonozul said:

No she didn't.

Agreed with all the rest you've said.

Yukari said:

Really good point you have there with Kimi no Gin no Niwa. Nothing to add at all.
Nov 25, 2013 4:39 AM
Jul 2013
Yakuri said:
Azalonozul said:

I don't.

I'll revise my statement, watching the movie a second time and reading your and others' comments here made me think. It was justified FOR HER. It's pretty terrifying, as you have pointed out. She basically molded Madoka so that only she could "love" her. Madoka has been caged by Homura. Literately. And whether that'll change or not, only the second season will bring light to it.
"There is no love greater than when he lays down his life for his friends."..... It seems I am not a good lover.
Nov 25, 2013 4:46 AM
Jul 2010
Azalonozul said:
Madoka has been caged by Homura. Literately.

I love this pic for showing that.
hontobakaNov 25, 2013 4:50 AM
Nov 25, 2013 4:53 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Dusk252 said:
Azalonozul said:

Wonder how this film would've felt if the characters were animated like that
Nov 25, 2013 5:31 AM
Jul 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Dusk252 said:
Azalonozul said:

Wonder how this film would've felt if the characters were animated like that
Not sure if it would be just bizarre due to the contrast of the designs and content or if the adorableness would just take over completely. I can say the latter is actually a big possibility. xD
Nov 25, 2013 9:49 PM
Jan 2012
Crowned-Games said:
Well, I watched the movie and... Wtf D:

I was here for the premiere in France on November 22nd.

Watched it few days ago, lol it was awesome ending. Hope they will not continue as it ended so perfectly as this story only could end, 10/10, gonna rewatch it on BD.
Nov 25, 2013 10:21 PM

Oct 2008
Dusk252 said:
Yakuri said:
Azalonozul said:

No she didn't.

Agreed with all the rest you've said.

Yukari said:

Really good point you have there with Kimi no Gin no Niwa. Nothing to add at all.

Nov 25, 2013 11:11 PM
Jul 2010
Yakuri said:
hontobakaNov 25, 2013 11:16 PM
Nov 26, 2013 2:38 AM

Jan 2008
Dusk252 said:
Not sure if it would be just bizarre due to the contrast of the designs and content or if the adorableness would just take over completely. I can say the latter is actually a big possibility. xD

I dunno, the artstyle is fairly adorable even as it is......
So in other words, had the movie been animated in the style of that image, it would still feel exactly the same.[/notreally]
Nov 27, 2013 1:13 AM

Aug 2012
Homura ending the movie like a boss.

I'll admit, I hated what she did in this movie, but hey.. I liked the story. I'm not one of those people who will hate an entire story for just the stupidity of one character.

Now, time for some Madoka X Homura showdown next season. This better be great :D

10/10
Nov 27, 2013 2:29 AM
Mar 2012
Madokami and Akumemi makes all too much sense now. I agree that I haven't felt such psychological frustration since Evangelion, this movie gave me more question than answers. All I could do the whole time was scream UROBUCHI
Nov 27, 2013 6:55 PM

Jan 2008
alexpte said:
All I could do the whole time was scream UROBUCHI

...This wasn't Urobuchi's idea though. It's been stated that the ending Urobuchi originally had in mind was just Madoka taking Homura away to Magical Girl Heaven. Then Shinbo was like "You know, I think we should have an ending that leaves the door open for a sequel..." and the rest is history.
Nov 27, 2013 8:18 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Oh, Homura. If there's a sequel, Madoka vs. Homura.

Nov 27, 2013 11:30 PM

Aug 2012
Homura's fight with Mami was awesome to begin with. Then imagine a showdown with Madokami herself. Galaxies will be tossed around.
Nov 28, 2013 3:09 AM

Jan 2008
julyan04 said:
Homura's fight with Mami was awesome to begin with. Then imagine a showdown with Madokami herself. Galaxies will be tossed around.

You know, that's actually yet another reason I really don't like the ending to this movie... Namely, that which you suggested seems to be the only direction I can see the series taking after this. And once you've reached that point, there's basically no way to top it, and anything LESS than universe-spanning showdowns of epicness would just seem underwhelming.
Nov 28, 2013 3:18 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Vegard_Aune said:
julyan04 said:

You know, that's actually yet another reason I really don't like the ending to this movie... Namely, that which you suggested seems to be the only direction I can see the series taking after this. And once you've reached that point, there's basically no way to top it, and anything LESS than universe-spanning showdowns of epicness would just seem underwhelming.
Maybe, but then again it's Urobuchi we're talking about here, if it's one thing I've learned it's to never take anything for granted :)
Nov 28, 2013 10:32 AM
Jul 2010
Honestly, I'd rather it took a more subdued direction. Just more about clashes of ideals than universe-spanning battles. When things get too large a scale it's honestly not even a matter of how good the visuals are - I just can't get engaged in a fight at all. So I'd rather have some well-written character drama with maybe the possibility of such a large fight acting as a tension trigger. Much like the Cold War, basically.
Nov 29, 2013 3:37 PM

May 2012
gotta say...Freakin loved it

I understand completely why Homura did what she did. She is indeed not right in the head. But she has now declared war on the Incubators and rewritten the entire universe, all to make a "happy place" for Madoka. iN the process she also gave Kyouko another chance at happiness.

Obviously I didn't read every single response, but it seems many seem to forget the crushing blow that Homura has dealt the Incubators. She intends to completely eradicate them. At the same time, she's now become someone whose sole purpose is to keep Madoka from remembering that she's a god, and taking out the "Demons" whatever those things are exactly.

And in the process Sayaka was brought back, as well as a new character has entered the fray.

In my opinion this was a much better way to run things than the TV series. While I was happy for the empty "happy end" to a point, I still understood how random it was.

But this, this really made sense. Homura didn't pull some sort of power from nowhere, she found the next level of a magical girl thanks to the Incubators and their little "experiment". If that had never hapepned, then Homura would have just become a witch and returned to madoka's side, and the INcubators would have had another chance to pull that plan of theirs and maybe figure out what the "Law of Cycles" really entailed. But, nope, they trapped a yandere. As we know, Yanderes can cross dimensions to be with the ones they love, so the Incubators should have realized this was a stupid plan from the start.

Ah well. Such is the fate of a being that doesn't lend itself to emotions that well. Anyway, such a great setup for anotehr season that I CANNOT wait for ~~
Nov 29, 2013 3:39 PM
Mar 2013
vampko said:
gotta say...Freakin loved it

Same here! It was amazing. Some people may not approve of Homura's actions but I guess this is a classic case of the end justifies the means (not that this is always the case but it worked out this time).
Nov 30, 2013 12:26 AM

Jan 2008
vampko said:
In my opinion this was a much better way to run things than the TV series. While I was happy for the empty "happy end" to a point, I still understood how random it was.

...Uh, how was the TV-series a "happy end"? It entailed the main character ceasing to exist as an individual, the other main character being separated from said first main character (who was basically her entire reason to live), the third main character dying, the entire rest of the universe forgetting who Madoka even was, and at the end of the day all she really accomplished through all that sacrifice was making the universe go from thoroughly shitty to sort of a "glass half full" kind of deal. It was a bittersweet ending in every sense of the word. Also, random? They literally spent the entire 12-episode run of the show setting up for it. PMMM the TV-series was basically an ending with 11 episodes of explanation and buildup in front of it.

vampko said:
But this, this really made sense. Homura didn't pull some sort of power from nowhere, she found the next level of a magical girl thanks to the Incubators and their little "experiment".

The next level which we have never gotten even the slightest indication that existed before this point, which she attained through the exact same process that would otherwise have turned her into a witch were it not for Kyubey somehow managing to isolate her Soul Gem from the rest of the universe, including blocking off a being of unlimited cosmic power which he doesn't even know for sure is real or just something Homura made up, who exists outside of time and space, and likewise he somehow managed to make it not turn into a Grief Seed, a process which Kyubey only knows the theory behind because from his point of view it never even existed at all... And this next level somehow makes Homura the by-all-accounts-fairly-mediocre Magical Girl more powerful than the being who had a latent magic potential so great that it was "theoretically impossible", power great enough that a wish that required her to literally be present at every point in time and space where a Soul Gem would be corrupted, was perfectly grantable, and enables her to rewrite all of time and space at whim...

Yeah, I still fail to see how this all makes sense BTW.

vampko said:
Anyway, such a great setup for anotehr season that I CANNOT wait for ~~

This concept they've come up with is literally so ludicrously over-the-top that the momentum is unlikely to be able to sustain itself for more than, oh... four episodes? If even that? And they can't really not give us some sort of clash between Madokami and Devil Homura either, because now that they've got a self-proclaimed devil with the power to rewrite the universe at will, nothing else they could possibly bring in would seem like an even remotely credible threat by comparison. They've basically hit the same problem of the characters' power escalating to a point where there's practically no way to up the scale, that Dragon Ball Z ended up running into. And it only took them about six and a half hours to reach this point.

In a way that's actually kind of amazing.

Oh, and did I mention that bit where Urobuchi has stated that he considers himself done with the story? Or how the staff has admitted that they had no concrete plans for what would happen after this movie? In other words, that they basically rushed this whole "Devil Homura" story-arc into production before they'd even figured out how it was gonna develop?
Dec 1, 2013 3:26 AM
Jul 2010
Vegard_Aune said:
vampko said:
But this, this really made sense. Homura didn't pull some sort of power from nowhere, she found the next level of a magical girl thanks to the Incubators and their little "experiment".

The next level which we have never gotten even the slightest indication that existed before this point, which she attained through the exact same process that would otherwise have turned her into a witch were it not for Kyubey somehow managing to isolate her Soul Gem from the rest of the universe, including blocking off a being of unlimited cosmic power which he doesn't even know for sure is real or just something Homura made up, who exists outside of time and space, and likewise he somehow managed to make it not turn into a Grief Seed, a process which Kyubey only knows the theory behind because from his point of view it never even existed at all... And this next level somehow makes Homura the by-all-accounts-fairly-mediocre Magical Girl more powerful than the being who had a latent magic potential so great that it was "theoretically impossible", power great enough that a wish that required her to literally be present at every point in time and space where a Soul Gem would be corrupted, was perfectly grantable, and enables her to rewrite all of time and space at whim...

Yeah, I still fail to see how this all makes sense BTW.

This is my main problem with the movie. No hints as to how she did that. I'm ok with the "why", but the "how"? That was just a very clumsily written twist.
Dec 2, 2013 8:35 AM

Mar 2012
This is just my theory, I think just as said by vampko she did gain some knowledge and the idea from Kyubey BUT it was Homura's wish which did the actual power because remember at the end of the TV series depending on your pov Homura's wish doesn't actually come true, this is really just the final result of her wish actually coming true and as Madoka became a God , then she had to become something even stronger. It is also important to note that Homura's wish like Madoka is a constant not an instant then gone than say wishing for cake were you get cake but that's it, Homura's wish has no time limit set. And finally also remember who gave Madoka the potential to become a god.
Dec 2, 2013 7:42 PM

Jan 2008
ElPysCongroo said:
This is just my theory, I think just as said by vampko she did gain some knowledge and the idea from Kyubey BUT it was Homura's wish which did the actual power because remember at the end of the TV series depending on your pov Homura's wish doesn't actually come true, this is really just the final result of her wish actually coming true and as Madoka became a God , then she had to become something even stronger. It is also important to note that Homura's wish like Madoka is a constant not an instant then gone than say wishing for cake were you get cake but that's it, Homura's wish has no time limit set. And finally also remember who gave Madoka the potential to become a god.

The problem with that is, it assumes that the very laws of physics leave absolutely no possibility for a wish not to be granted... Plus, Homura's wish was "to redo her meeting with Madoka and become someone who could protect her instead of being protected by her". This happened. This happened over and over and over and over and over and over again, actually. There was nothing about keeping her safe forever in there. And also, while Kyubey did initially claim that he could grant any wish, later revelations make it clear that that was just another case of him lying by omission; "I can grant whatever impossible miracle you may desire (provided that you yourself have enough magical potential to actually realize it)." If this weren't the case, why would he in episode 8 make such a big deal about how Madoka could do things other MGs couldn't and how she could easily turn Sayaka back to a human if that was her wish. This in turn implies that others would not be able to have such a wish granted, it was only possible for Madoka because she's Madoka.
Where am I going with all this? Homura's wish, as she kept turning time back over and over, became ever-increasingly ungrantable, and by the end of the story, it was literally a wish that could no longer be fulfilled no matter what. Now maybe if Homura had the same amount of unfathomable karmic potential as Madoka did, but one would think that if this were the case, Kyubey would have commented on it. He certainly never held back in pointing out how Madoka had the potential to become the most powerful witch in the history of ever, so if Homura had the same amount of potential due to her time-travelling shenanigans, I think he would have noticed. Homura's time-travelling only made Madoka unfathomably powerful because she kept constantly turning time back specifically to save her. At the same time, her own karmic potential or magical power did not increase; If it would, again, Kyubey would probably have mentioned it. And if her magic had grown over time, which is something that one almost needs to assume for this movie to make any sense at all... somewhere along the line she would have become strong enough to defeat WN. But no, she got completely destroyed just as badly each and every time she fought it, whereas Madoka was able to dispatch of it with more and more ease every time, culminating in the TV-series ending where she was able to avert fighting it alltogether by doing something infinitely more demanding and magic-consuming, before then completely breaking causality and forcing the universe to rewrite itself to accommodate what she just did. This is something that no other MG could possibly have accomplished, and changing this outcome would take someone similarly overpowered... and there was nothing prior to this movie to suggest that Homura has this sort of power. Heck, there was nothing prior to the exact scene in which she did it that suggested that it was possible. And even after the fact, they completely neglected to give any sort of explanation for it.

And if one does say that it was indeed all a result of Homura's wish clashing with Madoka's... Well then causality sure does seem to be pretty damn generous considering how oppressive the universe this story is set in, doesn't it? Like, say then that a character were to just make the completely non-specific wish to "survive" with no further specifications. (In this regard I suppose it's a good thing they never revealed the exact wording of Mami's wish.) Would that make said Magical Girl immortal? Or how about if they wished "I want to be a Magical Girl whose Soul Gem will be indestructible and never turn into a Grief Seed"? I would think such a wish would be ungrantable, wouldn't you? Likewise, while "I want to redo my meeting with my friend and protect her from harm" is a perfectly fulfillable wish, when said friend then goes on to ascend to a higher plane of existence, being erased from the very history of the universe and only continuing to exist as a concept... Not so much. The idea that Homura's wish clashing with Madoka's could cause all of this, to me, seems about as plausible as the idea that anyone could make the wish to "Destroy all witches in the past, present and future, in every universe, with my own two hands," and do what Madoka did.

And I'm pretty sure they couldn't.
Dec 3, 2013 2:25 AM

Aug 2008
Sigh, you know this is one series that never needed a sequel. Now it seems it's going to continue to get milked for all it's worth.

Oh well, hopefully it doesn't get too...silly.
Dec 3, 2013 12:36 PM
Jul 2010
Vegard_Aune said:
ElPysCongroo said:

The problem with that is, it assumes that the very laws of physics leave absolutely no possibility for a wish not to be granted... Plus, Homura's wish was "to redo her meeting with Madoka and become someone who could protect her instead of being protected by her". This happened. This happened over and over and over and over and over and over again, actually. There was nothing about keeping her safe forever in there.
No it didn't. Homura never got to protect Madoka in the way she meant it. In the end, she was always protected by her instead. Regardless of her lack of self-confidence that increased with each passing timeline, Madoka was always the one who ended up standing up for Homura in the Walpurgis fight time and time again sacrificing herself for her. So Homura's wish never truly got granted.

Vegard_Aune said:
And also, while Kyubey did initially claim that he could grant any wish, later revelations make it clear that that was just another case of him lying by omission; "I can grant whatever impossible miracle you may desire (provided that you yourself have enough magical potential to actually realize it)." If this weren't the case, why would he in episode 8 make such a big deal about how Madoka could do things other MGs couldn't and how she could easily turn Sayaka back to a human if that was her wish. This in turn implies that others would not be able to have such a wish granted, it was only possible for Madoka because she's Madoka.
Completely true.

Vegard_Aune said:
Where am I going with all this? Homura's wish, as she kept turning time back over and over, became ever-increasingly ungrantable, and by the end of the story, it was literally a wish that could no longer be fulfilled no matter what. Now maybe if Homura had the same amount of unfathomable karmic potential as Madoka did, but one would think that if this were the case, Kyubey would have commented on it. He certainly never held back in pointing out how Madoka had the potential to become the most powerful witch in the history of ever, so if Homura had the same amount of potential due to her time-travelling shenanigans, I think he would have noticed. Homura's time-travelling only made Madoka unfathomably powerful because she kept constantly turning time back specifically to save her. At the same time, her own karmic potential or magical power did not increase; If it would, again, Kyubey would probably have mentioned it. And if her magic had grown over time, which is something that one almost needs to assume for this movie to make any sense at all... somewhere along the line she would have become strong enough to defeat WN. But no, she got completely destroyed just as badly each and every time she fought it, whereas Madoka was able to dispatch of it with more and more ease every time, culminating in the TV-series ending where she was able to avert fighting it alltogether by doing something infinitely more demanding and magic-consuming, before then completely breaking causality and forcing the universe to rewrite itself to accommodate what she just did. This is something that no other MG could possibly have accomplished, and changing this outcome would take someone similarly overpowered...
By saying it became more and more un-grantable with each iteration, you're actually contradicting what you said before about it having been granted. Just pointing it out.
As for Homura's karma potential, you can't really call it void using the fact that her magical power didn't increase (and yes, it didn't). Madoka's power as a mahou shoujo in each iteration was larger than in the previous one because she had more potential in each one, due to being the focal point of the resets. Any increase in potential for Homura would mean nothing since she was already a mahou shoujo by the time each reset starts. So it's not something you can disprove with that. Specially since the imagery of Madoka entangled by the threads during Kyubey's explanation to Homura during episode 11? It was repeated for Homura herself. Which is definitely an interesting point.

Vegard_Aune said:
and there was nothing prior to this movie to suggest that Homura has this sort of power. Heck, there was nothing prior to the exact scene in which she did it that suggested that it was possible. And even after the fact, they completely neglected to give any sort of explanation for it.
This is where I really agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't think it is that one can't come up with a semi-reasonable explanation for what happened, but that doesn't save the writing, which was simply really clumsy in some parts of this movie, this twist being the worst one in that regard. Not providing a consistent explanation nor hints at finding one is simply a huge flaw in the writing, no matter how viewers try to cover it up. Even if, as I argued, Homura's karmic potential increased over the iterations in the series, it should never have a way to manifest itself since she was already a magical girl. There's no explanation at all to the how Homura was able to do what she did and that's the unavoidable truth about this movie, as much of a PMMM fangirl as I am.

Vegard_Aune said:
And if one does say that it was indeed all a result of Homura's wish clashing with Madoka's... Well then causality sure does seem to be pretty damn generous considering how oppressive the universe this story is set in, doesn't it? Like, say then that a character were to just make the completely non-specific wish to "survive" with no further specifications. (In this regard I suppose it's a good thing they never revealed the exact wording of Mami's wish.) Would that make said Magical Girl immortal? Or how about if they wished "I want to be a Magical Girl whose Soul Gem will be indestructible and never turn into a Grief Seed"? I would think such a wish would be ungrantable, wouldn't you? Likewise, while "I want to redo my meeting with my friend and protect her from harm" is a perfectly fulfillable wish, when said friend then goes on to ascend to a higher plane of existence, being erased from the very history of the universe and only continuing to exist as a concept... Not so much. The idea that Homura's wish clashing with Madoka's could cause all of this, to me, seems about as plausible as the idea that anyone could make the wish to "Destroy all witches in the past, present and future, in every universe, with my own two hands," and do what Madoka did.

And I'm pretty sure they couldn't.
Honestly, the theory of the wishes clashing because Homura's had not yet been granted is actually a rather interesting one, and one of the best I've seen around. Since it really seems like what it was intended to be interpreted as, specially seeing the full role reversal the ending finally showed us. It still doesn't explain the actual mechanics of what happened, and if it's just a matter of causality and all was caused by the nature of Homura's wish, then it should have happened the exact moment Madoka ascended and not by Homura's will. So it's not something exterior to her, but something she decided. Which brings us back to the how and the inconsistencies this movie has.
Dec 3, 2013 4:54 PM

Jan 2008
Dusk252 said:
Honestly, the theory of the wishes clashing because Homura's had not yet been granted is actually a rather interesting one, and one of the best I've seen around.

Oh, it's definitely the most plausible explanation I've heard. I mean, I still don't think it makes sense, but it does make more sense than pretty much anything else I've seen people come up with.
Dec 3, 2013 4:54 PM
Dec 2013
If you rewatch the show and remember what we really know about Homura, you can find some indicators for her later development.

1. right from the beginning, Kyubey refers to her as an anomaly, something he cant explain.
this gives us a hint why he cant judge , in the show, how powerfull a Homura-witch could become.

2. We dont know howmany times Homura went back in time.
If we use the scene with the strings (ep 11) as a starting point we know it has to be a lot more than shown in ep 10.
and then whe have the scene in ep 4, when Madoka ask Homura after Mamis death,
"Have you seen a lot of people die like yesterday"?
and Homuras answer is "too many to try keeping count of anymore".
this aswell could indicate a large number of timelines.

3. we know that Homura has all her memories from every previous timeline.
her breakdown in ep 8 gives a hint how big this impacts her inner selfe.
we cant say how often she saw the girls fight and die, how many times she witness Madokas death.
and we can imagine how desperate she has become over the time.

4. in ep 9 Kyubey understands what Homura, as a concept(timetraveller), really is.
but nowhere it is hinted, that he got any idea what consequences this could have.

5. in ep 11 we have the scene with the strings, which resembles the scene done for Madoka in ep 9.
in Madokas case (ep 9) the scene visulize how the fate of every previous timeline is tied to Madoka.
in Homuras case the scene could have a very similar meaning.

6. Kyubey tells Madoka in ep 11 that Homura, if she ever gave in to her sorrow, whould instantly become a witch.

Now we come to the plot deciding event: the moment madoka becomes a mahou shoujo

7. in the last timeline of ep 10 and the opening scene of ep1 we see that madoka waited with her decision till the fight against walpurgisnacht.
this tells us that the situation at the beginning of ep 12 was, from Homuras point of view, not the first time.

what makes this moment so important is the fact that Madokas decision at this point decides what direction the timeline will take.
if Madokas wish is not the "perfect" universe saving one of ep 12, she will become a witch,
destroying the planet in the process and Homura will return to the beginning.
we dont know what would happen if Homura whould stop her fight against fate, and turn into a witch (remember point 5, last line).
but if the event of ep 12 happens, Madoka will breake the neverending cycle.

8. the whole movie takes place within Homuras witchbarrier, sealed inside her soulgem.
this explains why we dont have any elements from the ending scenes of ep 12 in the movie
except the scenes with God-Madoka at the end (in this scene we see Homura with a bow and without her timestop device).
and why Homura got her gadget back at the beginning of the movie.

it takes place inside her witchbarrier and recreated Homura the way she dreamed to be, her core selfe (beginning of ep 10),
a mahou shuojo and able to fight alongside Madoka.

9. when Homura learns that Kyubey is looking for a way to control god-Madoka,
she starts to willingly increase her accumulated grief even more and scares the shit out of Kyubey,
because this is the first time for him to measuer the potential power of a Homura-witch.

10.Homuras final act, while trapping God-Madoka, shows her expanding the witchbarrier from inside her soulgem over the whole universe,
making it her domain in return.

I hope this covers everything important.

If you take all this into account, all the pain Homura went throught, in uncountable timelines,
who can blame her if she comes to the final conclusion that the only way for her to be happy, is taking her dream by force ?
(it´s not nice but understandable from her point of view).
LeffotraDec 3, 2013 4:59 PM
Dec 3, 2013 5:22 PM

Jan 2008
Leffotra said:

Urobuchi has stated that it was "About a hundred times". So yeah, way more than just what we saw in episode 10.
But you know, most of those points seem to bring up more why she did it, rather than how. I have no problem with the development from character-standpoint. I've long since accepted that, while this development casts Homura in a thoroughly unlikable light, it is not out of character for her to do this. My issue is entirely with the fact that there's no clear explanation for how she was able to. And even the ones that you did bring up for how... still seem rather like grasping at straws to me.
Dec 3, 2013 6:54 PM
Dec 2013
Vegard_Aune said:
Leffotra said:

Urobuchi has stated that it was "About a hundred times". So yeah, way more than just what we saw in episode 10.
But you know, most of those points seem to bring up more why she did it, rather than how. I have no problem with the development from character-standpoint. I've long since accepted that, while this development casts Homura in a thoroughly unlikable light, it is not out of character for her to do this. My issue is entirely with the fact that there's no clear explanation for how she was able to. And even the ones that you did bring up for how... still seem rather like grasping at straws to me.

It would be nice if you can highlight which parts were looking like "grasping at straws" ?
I never speculated outside the events of the show...

And the whole post is about the "How", it´s just a lot of text.
My point is, Homura went through many horrible events, and if you try to see the world from her point of view, i dont think any person i know whould have the emotional strength and the determination to repeat this tragedy hundred or more times.
This alone has to say something about her as a character and a person.

If im right, a major theme of the show is the concept of balance, in everything. If Madoka is the embodiment of hope,
someone/something should be there to cancel it out. Otherwise the whole concept of balance whould stop working...

If it is Madokas destiny to take in the Hope of all the timelines,
Homura is the only other character conected to all timelines, and Homura is the cause of Madokas conection to them.
why cant it be Homuras destiny to become the embodiment of grief and despair, taking in all the horrible things
she witnessed during her travel. Why cant it be enough to creat a witchbarrier large enough to cover the whole universe ?
And her witchbarrier or something really similar covering the whole universe is a shown fact of the movie...

If there is something/someone there to represent the other side of the scale, canceling out the power of God-Madoka,
Homura is, for me, the only plausible character who could be it.
Yes, you can always say it cant be Homura, but this would mean, that something else, never seen in the show, is Madokas counterpart.
Or am i wrong with this ...?

This is just one of many possible theories, but atleast it is a theorie with corresponding scenes, backing it up.
If someone finds an other way to interpret the scenes of the show or the first two movies, in a way who is believable leading to the final conclusion of the 3rd movie,
i´m curious how this alternativ interpretation whould look like.

That is it what was, for me, one of the most fun parts about the orignal show, 2 years ago. Analyzing evry scene in the hope to find a clue leading to one of the later revealed secrets. Just talking about them with others kept, the tension alive till the next episode in the following week. Every episode could be the one prooving a theorie or invalidating it.
One of them was the Idea of Homuras timetravel/timestop ability. The first time it was hinted was a smal scene in ep 5.

It was nice to see later that every event of the show was backed by some hints placed way before the episode with the final reveal.
Even the truth about the Gems was hinted by there name.

And that is why i see Madoka as one these rare shows without any plothole.
We have maybe some actions or events not deeply explained, but at the same time there is nothing contradicting them.

for me, the best theory is the one most backed by the source material.

If someone has a equaly/better fitting theories im interested to talk about it.

This is just the interpretation which made the most sense to me at the moment.
LeffotraDec 3, 2013 7:17 PM
Dec 3, 2013 7:15 PM

Jan 2008
Leffotra said:
And the whole post is about the "How", it´s just a lot of text.
My point is, Homura went through many horrible events, and if you try to see the world from her point of view, i dont think any person i know whould have the emotional strength and the determination to repeat this tragedy hundred or more times.
This alone has to say something about her as a character and a person.

...Which again to me doesn't really say anything about where the power to rewrite the entire universe came from. It just explains that, yeah, she went through an insane amount of crap, desperately trying to hold on to her sanity all the way through, and this movie was basically the point where she finally cracked, so to speak.

Leffotra said:
It would be nice if you can highlight which parts were looking like "grasping at straws" ?
I never speculated outside the events of the show...

Hmmm...
Kyubey stating that she's an anomaly. I'd say that is more just because, being from another timeline, he has no idea who she is, what her deal is, what her powers are or anything like that. Which is not a situation he's used to facing, for obvious reasons.
The shot of her being tied up by the same strings that Madoka was shown attached to... I think that can more just be seen as a metaphor for the exact thing Kyubey was talking about at the time. How she literally had no choice but to continue this impossible fight, despite knowing it was impossible, because she knows that if she actually accepts it she will have lost. I do not see that as an indicator that "Homura = Madoka" in terms of what they could become.
Then there's the point of there needing to be a counter-balance to Madoka's providing hope for the universe...
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2676/ggpuellamagimadokamagicr.png
Yeah we already had something taking care of that. Again, by the end of the story the universe was still, by all accounts, a pretty shitty place. The only difference was that the MGs no longer end up becoming the very monsters they've been fighting against.
Dec 3, 2013 8:18 PM
Dec 2013
Vegard_Aune said:

...Which again to me doesn't really say anything about where the power to rewrite the entire universe came from. It just explains that, yeah, she went through an insane amount of crap, desperately trying to hold on to her sanity all the way through, and this movie was basically the point where she finally cracked, so to speak.

Yes, your right in so far, that there arent many evidence proving or disproving it, its more that we cant really say if she has or has not the power to create a barrier large enough.

Vegard_Aune said:

Hmmm...
Kyubey stating that she's an anomaly. I'd say that is more just because, being from another timeline, he has no idea who she is, what her deal is, what her powers are or anything like that. Which is not a situation he's used to facing, for obvious reasons.

this is not really different from the things i was saying.
Kyubey just had no way to say who she is, what she is, what her limmits are.

Vegard_Aune said:

The shot of her being tied up by the same strings that Madoka was shown attached to... I think that can more just be seen as a metaphor for the exact thing Kyubey was talking about at the time. How she literally had no choice but to continue this impossible fight, despite knowing it was impossible, because she knows that if she actually accepts it she will have lost. I do not see that as an indicator that "Homura = Madoka" in terms of what they could become.

What you are saying is right and i never said anything against it.
But if you go a litle bit deeper you can say every string represents a Timeline, binding them to their fate.
For Madoka it was, to bring hope to them, finding the one route out of maze created by their fate.
And for Homura it represented her eternal battle against her own fate, she had no escape and no way to win the battlen binding her to an eternal, ever repeating, cycle.

Homura is just like Sisyphus, from the Greek mythologie, in this regard.

For me it is so:
In the same way that madoka drifted toward the hope of the universe,
Homura driftet the same way in the complete oposite direction.
This could mean that they developed, during the same proces an equal amount of potential.

Madoka as future-mahou-shoujo, a positive potential

and Homura, who already was a mahou-shoujo, a negative potential

acumulating more and more grief, with every new cycle.

I wrote this regarding the point that Madoka could accumulate power, but Homura in the same event could not.
There is no way to say what effect her timetravels had on her mind/ mental constituition.

And yes we have the Demon like things as a counterpart for Madoka
in the >new< system,
Homuras witch is an artifact from the old one.

In this way her existence alone was completly impossible, contradicting the foundation of the >new< system but it happend.
This could mean that something inside her had to be powerfull enough to create the impossible, a witch in the world of the >new< system.

Vegard_Aune said:

Yeah we already had something taking care of that. Again, by the end of the story the universe was still, by all accounts, a pretty shitty place. The only difference was that the MGs no longer end up becoming the very monsters they've been fighting against.

This was the counter part for God-Madoka from mechanicle point of view, it was the counter part to her beeing the concept of hope.
I see Homura more as her counterpart from a focust character point of view,
and we should not forget we never had any hints for the potential power of the Homura-witch. Only in the movie we had a chance judging it.

And the whole movie tells us how different a Homura-witch is from the normal ones. She created a fake copie of the whole city, traped Madoka and all other girls inside her barrier and rewrote their memories.
This only changed when Homura herself started to question the world around her.

If you see it this way, you can say the movie ended how it started, just the scale was way larger.
Only difference, in this new barrier Homura was aware that she had full controll over this world .

And as a final note,

what is better: Saying there no explanation for Homuras Power,

Or saying, there is a theorie who could be 0-100% true ?

LeffotraDec 3, 2013 8:52 PM
Dec 3, 2013 8:48 PM
Jul 2010
Leffotra said:
And the whole movie tells us how different a Homura-witch is from the normal ones. She created a fake copie of the whole city, traped Madoka and all other girls inside her barrier and rewrote their memories.
This only changed when Homura herself started to question the world around her.
No she didn't. She did create the copy of the whole city, yes, but that was inside her Soul Gem, thanks to Kyubey's little experiment. It's not an alternate dimension that can spawn anywhere as we've seen from the witches in the series, it's something restricted to the inside of her Soul Gem. And as we know what Soul Gems are, it's more akin to everyone having been sucked into a dream than it is to any of the barriers we've seen before. What created that barrier wasn't even a full witch, you can't compare the mechanics like that. Homura being special or not, those are completely different circumstances. Who is to say if Kyubey had done that to Mami something similar wouldn't have happened? Except he didn't because Mami could have never dragged Madoka into a barrier, since she didn't remember her.

Leffotra said:
what is better: Saying there no explanation for Homuras Power,

Or saying, there is a theorie who could be 0-100% true ?
Whatever we do, nothing changes the fact you can't state a theory as almost certainly true. Which simply shows poor writing. Whether you want to forcibly find a working theory or not, the movie itself didn't clearly hint at it at all. And that's what matters here.

Also, I've read your previous posts, and anything related to the how are absolute assumptions. As for the why, nobody needs to discuss that, since there are enough hints both in the series and in the movie to derive a conclusion from. Shame it's not nearly the same with the how.

And since you're defending this twist, btw, I'm curious regarding something. How do you explain that a Soul Gem can be tainted with love rather than grief? Or rather, I actually do have an answer to this myself, though the base premise still sounds ever so ridiculous when I read it/write it. But I'm curious regarding which is yours.
Dec 3, 2013 9:22 PM
Dec 2013
You are right with your critic,
it was just a fun exercise, looking for a plausible solution for the power problem.

i never said it is the one and only truth, that would be presumptuous ...

The question was more: whats wrong with looking for a possible solution for this problem?
Do we have hints in the story who can help finding it ?
Or is there really no possible explenation and we just have to belive it was possible, and accept it as a somwhat deus-ex-machina?
This is one of the worse thing you could do as a writer.

The writing of the original show was almost flawless, atleast it had no plotholes or contradictions.

Thats why it´s really annoying for me that there is a possibillity that they pulled this power increas out of thin air ...

ok, i just realized i forgot about the love... mhh
this invalidates many of my points , it´s a shame, sounded good when i had the idea, but i forgot one major point.

atleast we maybe can agree that her repeating the events everytime could, and only could, have played a role in this development.
Its not impossible to see the timetravel as multiplier for something ... it worked in Madokas case ... and it is the only event in the whole story which had the potential for this.

This, or we really have to accept this frustrating deus-ex-machina moment.

And i dont belive that we will ever get a satisfying answer from the author.

PS: And if you only count the movie, its impossible to find an explanation.
For this, what ever is the cause of it, had to happen way before the movie started.
And if we see the events of the movie as a dream like state, there is no way to say how many time has passed in there.
it could be evrything between , its just an example, 1 second and many days.
And she was a witch right from the beginning. this is irreversable.
I dont think there is any room after this, for any development. A witch is a witch.
and the only possible event is, and that was somewhere coverd, is the event in last 30min. in which Homura is willingly increasing her
emotional instabillity. what ever is cause for this ... why not love ?

I dont know, its a a good movie and it would be a shame if it really ended with such an unsatisfying explanation ...
LeffotraDec 3, 2013 9:47 PM
Dec 3, 2013 9:40 PM
Jul 2010
Leffotra said:
You are right with your critic,
it was just a fun exercise, looking for a plausible solution for the power problem.

i never said it is the one and only truth, that would be presumptuous...

The question was more: whats wrong with looking for a possible solution for this problem?
Do we have hints in the story who can help finding it ?
Or is there really no possible explenation and we just have to belive it was possible, and accept it as a somwhat deus-ex-machina?
This is one of the worse thing you could do as writer.

The writing of the original show was almost flawless, atleast it had no plotholes or contradictions.

Thats why it´s really annoying for me that there is a possibillity that they pulled this power increas out of thin air...

ok, i just realized i forgot about the love... mhh
this invalidates many of my points , it´s a shame, sounded good when i had the idea, but i forgot one major point.

atleast we maybe can agree that her repeating the events everytime could, and only could, have played a role in this development.
Its not impossible to see the timetravel as multiplier for something ... it worked in Madokas case ... and it is the only event in the whole story which had the potential for this.

This, or we really have to accept this frustrating deus-ex-machina moment.

And i dont belive that we will ever get a satisfying answer from the author.

Yes, I agree that the original show's writing was basically flawless, and that's why I take it into such high consideration. The progression of the plot was done really well, there were tons of foreshadowing to several important things, including Madoka's ascension, which was really logical, which isn't something one would really expect from that kind of event, yet it was perfectly set up here, both with the foreshadowing and the fact it didn't in any way devalue the theme of balance that was built throughout the series. All in all, it felt like a really, really tight script, with just a couple of very minor, overlookable flaws.

So honestly, it's understandable that you're trying to find a solution for this. PMMM is a series I love, so I obviously wanted this to be good as well, but after thinking a lot about the events, I'm basically forced to accept this as a ex-machina moment. As annoying as it is for me as well.

And yes, I can agree with that to an extent. There's nothing that voids the fact Homura might have accumulated karmic potential throughout the various iterations, so that's a possibility. But there's also nothing that confirms it. And as I said in one of my previous posts, even if she did, it shouldn't ever manifest itself 'cause she was a magical girl from the start of the time shenanigans. So it's basically a neutral point here.

But the fact remains this wasn't ever invoked in the writing, nor alluded to. Rather, the whole love thing took the central stage. I honestly didn't really want to, but I can't avoid seeing this as an ex-machina. The writing was too vague to even assume the author thought out the mechanics behind what happened himself.
Dec 3, 2013 10:00 PM
Dec 2013
One major problem could be the story behind the ending.

If i remember it right, and corect me if i´m wrong, Urobutchi wanted to end the show with the reunion of Madoka and Homura, and it was Shinbou´s desire to have an ending with the possibility for an other season. This whould mean he had no time working an explanation for the "expanded ending" into the story ...
If that is the case i cant really blame him for the deus-ex-machina, yes he is the writer , but he had not really a choice in this case.
Dec 3, 2013 10:15 PM
Jul 2010
Leffotra said:
One major problem could be the story behind the ending.

If i remember it right, and corect me if i´m wrong, Urobutchi wanted to end the show with the reunion of Madoka and Homura, and it was Shinbou´s desire to have an ending with the possibility for an other season. This whould mean he had no time working an explanation for the "expanded ending" into the story ...
If that is the case i cant really blame him for the deus-ex-machina, yes he is the writer , but he had not really a choice in this case.
Yes, that is true. It was in the interview, though Urobuchi apparently mentions having had "a breakthrough" upon hearing the idea, which implies he definitely wasn't against it. But yours is a very reasonable supposition. About not having time to think up an explanation, that is. Another interesting point is that at first this movie's duration was listed in some places as 1h30-ish. Seeing as a twist happens basically 20 minutes from the end, what you say about production time issues is very plausible.
Still doesn't change the fact the movie itself had major writing-related issues. Wherever those stem for, if anything, they get me thinking "hey, this could have been much better" rather than somehow appease the frustration with the movie.
Dec 3, 2013 10:29 PM
Dec 2013
I feel absolutly the same.
And there is no doubt that the beginning was dragged out. It almost took them 30 minutes to reach the first scene in which Homura realised something is wrong with the world.
If we compare the timeframe with the first episode of the show, we got so much more information in the same time .
The writing in the show had a far better quality and execution.
Dec 3, 2013 11:24 PM

Jan 2008
Dusk252 said:
Yes, that is true. It was in the interview, though Urobuchi apparently mentions having had "a breakthrough" upon hearing the idea, which implies he definitely wasn't against it.

One can never really trust such statements about the staff's opinions on what they made though. Common business sense would dictate that you never say anything bad about the project you were involved with, because if you do... that might hurt general interest in the product, which in turn would lead to you being considerably less likely to get another job. So we can't really say for sure if Urobuchi really liked the idea or not, because even if he didn't... he would never flat-out say he didn't.

That said, I have this distinct feeling that he was none too happy about it. If only because I seem to recall him also saying that he feels that he has now written all he reasonably can for these characters and that the story should pass on to other writers after this... Which could very easily be taken as "I really didn't like what they made me do with my characters here and I have no desire to continue this story." Of course, that could just be my personal bias talking...
Dec 3, 2013 11:44 PM
Dec 2013
Vegard_Aune said:

That said, I have this distinct feeling that he was none too happy about it. If only because I seem to recall him also saying that he feels that he has now written all he reasonably can for these characters and that the story should pass on to other writers after this... Which could very easily be taken as "I really didn't like what they made me do with my characters here and I have no desire to continue this story." Of course, that could just be my personal bias talking...

If this is true, im surprised how good the ending works. We have the deues-ex-machina, but evrything else is completly in character. Thats in some way impressive, if he really felt this way about the special demands of the leading staff.

And i got a similiar impression from his later statements.
Dec 3, 2013 11:47 PM
Jul 2013
Leffotra said:
I feel absolutly the same.
And there is no doubt that the beginning was dragged out. It almost took them 30 minutes to reach the first scene in which Homura realised something is wrong with the world.
If we compare the timeframe with the first episode of the show, we got so much more information in the same time .
The writing in the show had a far better quality and execution.

I think it's a matter of perspective if you think the first part was dragged out or not. I personally didn't think it was (it didn't matter if you caught on to what was happening). The beginning was giving you chance to immerse yourself into the world as how you saw it then.

Leffotra said:

If this is true, im surprised how good the ending works. We have the deues-ex-machina, but evrything else is completly in character. Thats in some way impressive, if he really felt this way about the special demands of the leading staff.

And i got a similiar impression from his later statements.

Too bad we'll never know and can only speculate. :(
Dec 3, 2013 11:51 PM

Mar 2013
watched it at the US premiere! Have to say loved the film itself. A lot of mixed feelings over the ending but for me I thought it was a satisfying conclusion to the series as a whole. 9/10 for the movie and for the series 10/10
Pages (21) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

» Series spoiler! Is the movie somehow related to the tv series?

Alfreda02 - Sep 23, 2022

11 by daibayuus »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.