Forum Settings
Forums
New
What is the worth of Casshern Sins?
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list.
40.0%
It is too unremarkable to be on on either of our lists.
20.0%
It is vastly overrated and deserves to be on our Relations list.
6.7%
I have not watched this series because the emo adventures of Megaman and Rush sounds like a bad idea.
33.3%
15 votes
Oct 14, 2013 6:10 PM

Oct 2012
Casshern Sins is now up for vote. Decide if it will stay beautiful in Enlightenment or if it will rust away in the desolate wastelands of our Relations.

RULES:
1. You can only vote for a title if you've finished watching/reading it. You must’ve read or watched at least 60% of the published content for unfinished titles. There might be exceptions for very long finished titles – they are decided on a case by case basis, but usually amount to more than half of the published content.

2. Write your vote at the very top of your comment.

3. Below your vote, give a substantial explanation to back it up. It doesn't have to be lengthy; it just needs to cover the points you want to make.

4. If you have only read/watched the adaption/source material of the respective nominee, please state so in your post.

5. It will take a minimum of 5 votes for either Enlightenment or Relations to make it into any of the lists as an anime (3 votes for manga). If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

6. The votes for Enlightenment will have to outnumber the votes for Unremarkable and Relations for it to be included in our list; the same goes for Relations. If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

7. Behave yourself. We accept discussions and debate, not flaming and incoherent fanboy/fangirl behavior.

8. The fate of the poll will lie in the hands of the officers if it turns out that there are more first time voters than regulars or the series cannot be gauged by both voting and discussions.

This polling process will last 14 days. BEGIN!!!!!!!!
Ducat_RevelOct 28, 2013 7:47 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 14, 2013 6:21 PM

Jan 2013
Option 1

Copypasta from my post on page 82 of Enlightenment thread:

Casshern Sins is a hard-hitting post apocalyptic tale in lieu of Fist of the North Star, only a little less of an 80s acid rock flare, and more of a loose and more abstract design with a touch of Tatsunoko henshin/sentai feel to it.Where FotNS is the dissection of messiah-dom in a world deprived of rights, mores, and justice, Casshern is a journey of self-discovery revolving around an amnesiac android who caused the apocalypse. But like Fist of the North Star, it combines 2 starkly different styles of philosophical introspection and over the top action, making for a nice combo that would cater to a lot of people; certainly more than the recognition it is currently getting to say the least. The themes tackled episodically (predominantly in the first portion) aren't too too thought provoking, but it still has some great highs and sufficient lows, and generally knows its boundaries. There is also some existentialism involved with Casshern's role in this world, and the various episodic and cohesive episodes' themes culminate in helping Casshern, as a blank slate, grow and learn about himself and the world around him and get a better understanding of the reality he has to face, leading to an intriguing and compromising (in a good sense) yet optimistic ending that has elements of taoism in it, but isn't super explicit and over-indulgent in it and one that will remain stagnant in your mind. It is dark and pragmatically paced to reinforce the dismay of the setting, with some good character introspection and growth that is very impactful and I believe is an exemplary title that is fairly accessible, smart and entertaining.
AngelsArcanumOct 14, 2013 6:29 PM
Oct 15, 2013 11:45 PM

Apr 2013
Option 1

Casshern Sins is a remarkable feat, in that it somehow captures every single minute bit of fleshy detail and its oozing essence of the human spirit in a body that one would automatically identify as a being physically and emotionally distant from our own, made all the more remarkable because of the prior expectation and disposition towards a body such as this, the expectation that they would not have any attachment to the human spirit and any kind of internal and external forms of the human condition, and anything that may be associated.
And thus this beomes a journey, a journey of discovery of the infinite inner potentials of an artificial life and his quest to transcend the boundaries between being just a simple robot engineered to destroy, to becoming 'human', not physically but consciously. Even though this concept and theme is not exactly original, the reason why Casshern Sins deserves a remarkable vote is how it manages to effectively show this journey of emotional discovery in every excruciatingly painful detail, even when the helping hand of a loyal friend may seem far away, capturing that relatable and simple essence of loneliness has rarely ever made such a profound impact.

Watching Casshern Sins reminded me of Paulo Coelho's quote "It is the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary" and it is the simple things in life that Casshern Sins detaches from and allows us to witness as realistically as possible the efforts and dramas to recapture these important sometimes trivial things, within a body that I should not be able to identify with on my own.

The series artwork does nothing but do what it sets out to do, abysmal and melancholic, wrapped up in an unusual mixture of bluish-greyish brownish textures that build the entire apocalyptic landscape with powerful ease, but never becoming to wrapped up in its own sorrow making time to build some lovely landscapes capturing the quintessential and brooding style that is reminiscent of an Edward Hoppers painting, two that come to mind are "The Lighthouse at Two Lights", and "Screaming Monkey Drive In", pleasant to look at but cringing with a landscape of heart-ache.
I don't have much to say in the sound department, but it sets the mood well and does well in emphasizing the positive aspects in all other areas.

It is for these reasons that I believe that Casshern Sins is a fantastic artwork capturing every rigid emotion of the human spirit and for that I believe that it is a truly Enlightening title.
JodyqtOct 15, 2013 11:58 PM
Oct 16, 2013 4:47 PM

Oct 2013
Option 2

Repetitive plot, boring battles, most things are told and not shown through boring monologues. It was pretty anti-climactic most of the time. A decent series but not enlightening.
Oct 21, 2013 12:23 AM

Oct 2012
Option 2

Angst can be taken too far. And Casshern Sins does take it too far. Not surprising since the original series had its name changed from "Neo Human Casshern" to "Casshern Sins," which clarified the new direction it wanted to take. Emo.

Now, I know I'm greatly understating the emotional depth of Casshern Sins and unjustly writing it off as a whiny cry-fest, but I don't think what I'm saying is completely untrue. Casshern Sins is more of a philosophical drama than it is an android-action. It tackles death, guilt, beauty, anger, envy, existence, and humanity. And like Angels said, it borrows aspects of Taoism to really emphasize its thematic strength. The only problem is, it gives up so much to accomplish this.

In order to provoke all of this, the plot resorts to beating Casshern down with each inch of all the misery-sticks its got. The entire plot was dictated by the end result the writers wanted, it wasn't organic at all. Everyone hated Casshern, and the ones who didn't were doomed to die, all to get Casshern to contemplate on his "sin."

Alright, now I understand why this whining is "okay." It makes sense for the story. Casshern did bring the world to ruin and basically fucked up living for everyone else. That topped with the fact he's immortal and everyone wants to eat him to gain immortality does pose some introspective dilemmas. It's heavy. But the plot only adds to that heaviness. Any respite Casshern finds is quickly taken away from him to make him gloomier.

However, there were a couple of characters who could've added a different dimension to Casshern's tale of depression, but were swept under the rug because the plot didn't want to go that way. I'm talking about Jin and Janice. One proved that not everyone wanted to kill him, and the other sang of hope and beauty to uplift him. They could've been played out a bit more and given Casshern a bit more than just an episode of not feeling like shit. But, I'm not deducting points from the show for doing this, as this demonstrated focus. Just wanted to bring it up.

With all of that considered, I was still liking the show. It showed episodes of genuine strength and depth, and managed to explain all that chaos between Luna, Dio, and Casshern. And while there were bumps in the road, the progression of the plot (while a bit forced and slow) built up to some decent moments between Dio and Leda, and Casshern and Lyuze.

The reason I'm voting Unremarkable is, the series really ends at episode 23. The main arc was completed. But the show really really REALLY wanted to tie up its themes. So it whacked Casshern one more time, but with a gigantic emo stick, and had him confront Luna and Braiking Boss to "truly" end the series. This was the most forced move in the series. This is when it slipped into melodrama. Yes, the themes were cemented and the philosophical goal of the series was achieved, but it sacrificed story telling to do it. It forced Casshern into depression again, but this time, there was no more need to.

I still gave this series a 7/10, and believe it to be in the same league as Wolf's Rain (another theme-heavy show.) I won't mind if it gets in our list, but I just can't support it.
Ducat_RevelOct 21, 2013 12:26 AM
Oct 27, 2013 2:25 PM
Jul 2012
Option 2

Almost finished watching it, but hope my vote still accept it.

As I first watching the show back in last year of Toonami, I first thought it was an cool show. But there's two things that actually don't think is enlightenment worthy one is that the plot is too slow that it maybe boring to new viewers who haven't even saw the original Casshern, and is it me or the characters are way too dramatic? Because when I first dropped the show was back in episode 18, I first got annoyed by how the intense between Luna and Casshern and still do by while watching it as I explaining it, and remembering on how it takes place.All it does is "Kill Casshern","Kill Casshern" in every episode ever since on episode 18 which is getting repetitive. Though, the first half is good. Have great animation with nice action fights of robots, the ost is cool with a opening theme that is actually growing on me and now I liked it,and the story in that one is good because the rivalry of Casshern and this other dude which I forgot who is he. If it doesn't have any issues that are hard to watch, than I think it is a decent show, but definitely not enlightenment worthy. Alright show to watch if people like mecha I guess. /:
Oct 28, 2013 3:57 PM

Mar 2009
This series was neither unable to gain the necessary number of positive votes to be eligible, nor did its positive votes outweigh the ones against it. It will be known to all in the land as unremarkable.

The poll has been closed.
Oct 28, 2013 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
Darn...I was going to say why I thought it was remarkable here in the comments soon. Was procrastinating it and now its too late...
Oct 28, 2013 5:27 PM

Jul 2011
I have really high hopes for the original and it seems to be one of the grimmest and brutal series of its time, but I've never really picked up on any particularly strong vibes from this one.
Oct 28, 2013 6:05 PM

Dec 2011
Kellhus said:
I have really high hopes for the original and it seems to be one of the grimmest and brutal series of its time, but I've never really picked up on any particularly strong vibes from this one.

The original is very different. Sure it's kind of dark and brutal for its time but its not nearly as dark as this. In fact there are still plenty of humans left whereas in Sins humanity is pretty much already extinct. Anyway I'm a fan of both versions, though they were done by different studios and can hardly be compared.

And I was gonna give this a 1 vote... Oops.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2013 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
LayedBack said:
Kellhus said:

And I was gonna give this a 1 vote... Oops.

*disappointed look*
Oct 28, 2013 7:46 PM

Oct 2012
Vote count: 2 for Enlightenment; 1 for Unremarkable.
Verdict: Invalid.

Note: I can't count DarknessofEmo's vote since he hasn't finished the series. Nor can I count Luis_ScottVargas' vote since it is insubstantial.
Oct 28, 2013 7:52 PM
Jul 2012
Dang. I thought I finished at least 60 percent of the show. Guess I have failed on my vote.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.