Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 11, 2015 3:26 PM

Oct 2012
Ligonakos said:
GenT-san said:

Got a better insight after seeing it, real helpful indeed. What still bothered me is that how they differentiate which things/objects are supposed to be inverted and which aren't, like Age's dad machine is inverted but those debris aren't..

To my understanding not everything was inverted (obviously), though I don't think we can know for sure what was the pattern/variable that decided X stuff would be inverted.

Well since Age is the inverted one, inverted objects will fly up or fall from Age's perspective ( so we just have to keep in mind who are the inverted and anything that fly towards their feet) . However, I still don't get why the debris is slowly falling down, those debris were falling into the underground city, which will look like it is flying up to the inverted people. And we saw that the speed of flying up from one perspective have the same falling speed from another perspective unless there is an opposing force. maybe the object is just too big for us tiny human to see it going fast.
Jan 18, 2015 12:11 AM

Nov 2014
mind blowing

Jan 20, 2015 8:51 AM
Oct 2014
Theresonly1cryo said:
The concept behind the world of Patema is pretty interesting, but also confusing, I wonder why when Age and Patema

I agree with you. It was really cool, but also really strange and I didn't like how that whole part of the film was left unexplained. I love sci-fi films, especially when they make the science of that place believable, and when they don't even try to explain it, it becomes hard to find these sorts of worlds believable.

Furthermore, it would have been nice if they'd explained what caused the disaster, rather than just saying it happened. -- In that respect, Upside Down was better at fulfilling the explanation side of the film.
Jan 20, 2015 9:00 AM
Oct 2014
I came here to find out more about the backstory of this film, and more about the science behind it, since I felt a lot of the film went unexplained.
After reading the posts on this discussion though, I feel like either I missed a great deal of info from the movie, or the anime community is just incredibly smart and creative. I'm gonna go with the latter, and thus, you guys are amazing! Reading your comments has actually made me like the film even more because of how many more ideas I have read that link in really well to the film.

Well done everyone! :)
Jan 20, 2015 9:44 AM
Oct 2014
needalist said:
Ligonakos said:

To my understanding not everything was inverted (obviously), though I don't think we can know for sure what was the pattern/variable that decided X stuff would be inverted.

Well since Age is the inverted one, inverted objects will fly up or fall from Age's perspective ( so we just have to keep in mind who are the inverted and anything that fly towards their feet) . However, I still don't get why the debris is slowly falling down, those debris were falling into the underground city, which will look like it is flying up to the inverted people. And we saw that the speed of flying up from one perspective have the same falling speed from another perspective unless there is an opposing force. maybe the object is just too big for us tiny human to see it going fast.

Wow! That image is really helpful! Whoever drew that is a pretty cool guy. I love this film! XD
Jan 20, 2015 9:49 AM
Oct 2014
tome7 said:
Man.. that was a complete mindfuck for me. I was thinking so hard about why there was an artificial sky. I don't know what some of you are talking about when there were plotholes/unanswered questions. All of my questions were answered and it was brilliant. 9/10 for me for a good twist I struggled to see :).

You said there were no plot holes... give me a part of the film which explained what caused the disaster, and how the neo nazis came to power, and how an artificial sky was built without anyone knowing.
Jan 23, 2015 12:21 AM

Aug 2010
Richard-kun said:
You said there were no plot holes... give me a part of the film which explained what caused the disaster, and how the neo nazis came to power, and how an artificial sky was built without anyone knowing.

There is a difference between things not told and plot holes.

A plothole is, for example, in Zelda Skyward Sword they live in the sky, and there is so much clouds that they don't know if there is even a "ground". But once you are on the ground, there is not a single cloud in the sky.

For all we know (considering the buildings conditions at the end) centuries could have gone and history/people forgot most of it. The disaster was an advanced super technology that failed hard. "Neo nazis" or authoritarian dictatorship happen when a single man control everything with propaganda and force, same things happened in Fallout 3 in vault 101 for example.

The only thing plot-holeish is that they don't remember anything about the sky, which could only be justified by a stupidly long time laps.

Mod edit:
Post fixed.
AversaJan 23, 2015 10:49 AM
Feb 1, 2015 8:29 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good movie.
Both enjoyable and smooth to watch.

Although they did a good job showing each others side, I think that a little better explanation (maybe these are made in the short prequels, didn't knew there were those before I watched the movie) and a somewhat better epilogue.

I mean, it ended well, and also with the oldman finding that coded message, which I believe is some kind of cure or something for the reversed people. But I wanted to know a little more about their lives before meeting each other, and how they went after the ending.

As for everything else, pretty much everything was said in the comments already.
Feb 8, 2015 4:47 PM

Oct 2013
Patema is the CUTEST THING EVER *______*

Scientifically speaking, this movie makes no bloody sense; still, being it's easy for me to overlook those things, I really enjoyed it. I didn't see any plot holes, but I agree a few things could've been answered more thoroughly. The movie barely straddles the line between simple and convoluted with expertise, never fully crossing into a specific territory of one or the other. The story itself is simple, but the universe building is well done, and there were a number of very small plot twists to keep it interesting.

The slowly blooming romance between Patema and Age was probably my favorite part, though. I had the widest smile on my face during the implied kiss scene.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 23, 2015 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
addiction08 said:
I fully understand the whole movie's story.

Good job! Now watch Patlabor Movie 2 right now!

This was a seriously goddamn downer, guys.

Come on, right with the 4 specials that preceded this movie, you're shown Aigan society and how BULLSHIT IT IS.

I smell not democracy.

#offwithautocracy

Goddamn wasted Yoshiura potential.

Izamura is the WORST antagonist I've seen in the past few years. He was so bad, that I didn't even feel anything when he fell into the sky.

And that's bad.

I should have felt relieved, but I did not.
Feb 24, 2015 9:52 AM

Aug 2010
A very pretty film. The visuals were nice, and the director made good use of the interesting gravity effects here.

The story otherwise wasn't very impressive, though.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 22, 2015 1:19 AM

Oct 2009
Edenspring said:
It was kinda boring until the very ending.
Maybe I just grew out of this type of stuff with super-villains, cute romance and "nothing is really happening"
6/10 for interesting concept (realization was meh) and great ending.

How can you find this boring, considering you like Bakemonogatari, which is much much slower?
Gib [img] plz
Apr 18, 2015 12:14 PM

Apr 2012
Solid anime movie. Any criticism regarding the villain and how damn generic he was is definitely warranted. That was my main problem. Other than that, good cast of characters and interesting premise. 8/10.
Apr 19, 2015 8:33 PM

Dec 2012
Like others have said, the villain was my only issue with this movie. It was interesting that he thought he was among the people that weren't inverted but ended up the other way around. Great movie, had my mind boggled by the end but once I thought it through I realized how great of a story that was. 8.5/10, rounding up to a 9 because the current score on here is a little too low in my opinion.
May 21, 2015 3:59 PM

Aug 2009
It's true that the movie defied physical laws of the universe in every way possible and many things (especially the origin and mechanism of the 'fake' sky within the world) were left unexplained, but the execution was brilliant and the concept was fantastic, to say the least.
It was a defected concept, too non-supple and anomalied to answer to the science man has created, and too intriguing to not be considered as a presentation, so I don't know why people stepped into this movie and then rated it extremely low for not providing 'answers'.
The anime kept my attention held for every second of its length, the characters were not annoying in the least and the narration of the plot-line was near flawless.

9/10
Jun 5, 2015 3:32 PM

Jul 2009
It's a great movie, but i felt they could have done more.

I really love the concept of inverted. No one has really thought what happens if your perspective turned upside down.

Animation is beautiful, music was really great especially the theme.

Though the film didn't really explored that much. They only showed Patema and Age point of view. I was hoping the film would be some sort of people from another world where they discovered the place upside and down and gave us perspective on how they live. It was only a failed experiment that made distorted the gravity. Though how are people affected separately? Radiation? If it was gravity shouldn't everyone be affected?

I also wondered how there was another city or place above the sky. How was it built and how did Age's father were able to placed the flying device when he was already killed before he could go up there.

There doesn't seem people there and the sun seems to hit close during times.

I also watched the special features Fujii-san's favorite scene was when Age told the Elder your also upside down(which he just said the same thing) and thought Age was cool. Okamoto-san's favorite line is "PATEEEEEEMAAAAAA" XD

Director Yoshiura, Yasuhiro said during the creation of the movie. When he was a child he always thought what would happened if the world was upside down and how he would fall to the sky. They even gave a birthday cake present to Okamoto-san since it was his birthday during one of the premieres ^^

Okamoto also said he wants a 2nd film. As long as they explore the theme

Great stuff! I would give this 8/10 since it had a great concept and theme, but didn't explored that much.

I hope to see Yoshiura-san's next film!

Can't wait for the next one!
Jun 30, 2015 12:38 PM

Jul 2012
Like others in this thread, I also felt like other parts of this film were pale in comparison. When they introduced that girl in the classroom with Age, I figured she would play some part in the story, but nothing happened at all. They didn't need her in there at all really. How did Porta escape the government building to go back underground? I'm guessing they either had a silencer to shoot Age's dad or that they had a sniper from really far away where you couldn't hear the gun shot. And they had soldiers under him to collect his body? Did they not have any other family members? A lot of things felt like too big of a coincidence. Like when Age went to the fence at the same time as Porta came up. And I'm pretty sure I missed a few other moments like this. I wanted to find out more about how the government in Aiga turned out how it was. Oh yeah, mostly, I wanted to see the kiss! :p

With all the negative stuff out of the way, the world building in this film was amazing. The OST was good, and I loved the ED song. I love plot twists, and the twist when they went up into the "sky" was awesome (That scene was probably the most memorable; it was beautiful). I was like, "Uhh, isn't it getting hard to breath about now? You guys should definitely do something." xD And at the end, they tricked us and made us realize that we were watching most of the movie upside down the whole time! And when the villain finally realized that he was actually one of the Inverts that he didn't consider to be human. That was satisfying :) I really liked Patema's character. She was cute. I'm guessing they're gonna go find the settlers from the decoded email and try to unite mankind together? That would be a nice epilogue.
Jul 12, 2015 1:45 AM

Dec 2013
This was an enjoyable movie. Had to think for a few seconds to understand ha happened at the end. The movie was full of interesting concepts and a pretty nice art style and animation. Although I don't really understand how they got mixed up in the first place! Just seemed to throw logic out the window just for the sake of a twist ending.

Still a 7/0
Jul 28, 2015 1:53 PM

Sep 2009
I actually rather liked the choice of music with the scenes in this movie. Yes, it was unconventional...
...but to me it kind of worked. Similar to Luther (really good British live action cop series), where it goes with kind of sad music for some of the more twisted scenes where I think most American series would go with more up-tempo, action-like music.

Also, unlike Ando- above, I am always pleased when a character is introduced that doesn't end up playing an important role to the plot or some other character's arc. It's so refreshing when everything doesn't have to have a neatly plotted out role in a movie. Real life isn't like that, so why do we need our art to be?
WhatsifsowhatsitJul 28, 2015 1:56 PM
Aug 6, 2015 9:54 PM

Jan 2014
LOVED THIS OMG. I don't care if that's not how gravity really works, it's fucking interesting. One thing I will never get: what is/who built that huge thing in Aiga's sky? and does that mean that earth is pretty much flat, like a pancake....? Or did that gravity invert thing only happen in that one place (which I doubt)

Fascinatinggg ~~~
Aug 6, 2015 10:00 PM

Jan 2014
Richard-kun said:
needalist said:

Wow! That image is really helpful! Whoever drew that is a pretty cool guy. I love this film! XD

Well, I was completely off. LOL. But if that's how that works, there must be a hole through the whole earth, or else how could clouds form?? But maybe I'm overthinking it lol
Aug 7, 2015 9:25 PM

Apr 2015
So did anyone else think that the final layer that everyone was living on was all the junk that had floated into the sky and was just sitting there? for some reason I did at first.
LibriLectorAug 7, 2015 9:28 PM
Oct 2, 2015 6:06 AM

Apr 2014
I'm quite disappointed by this..
Nov 19, 2015 8:35 AM
Apr 2012
this is all thing i could understand.
the Aigieans is the real Inverted, and the Patema's People were descendant of the scientist who help the Inverted. that industrial complex were supposed to be earth Core geneator which powered all athmosphere, lights, sun .etc for the Aegians.

but what i don't really get is from this Scene http://i.imgur.com/RaY4af0.jpg
if the aegians were supposed to be living in the underground, why are there sunrise??
Nov 20, 2015 5:01 PM

Feb 2015
addiction08 said:
I fully understand the whole movie's story.

That's it! ;)

thank you!

Puppet said:
I'm still kind of confused about Lagos.

Loved the concept of inverted gravity, wish there was a diagram of this world. I was surprised no one got engulfed by magma though.

true! who was that guy in that thing anyway?

Zergneedsfood said:

They should've also played Frank Sinatra at the end credits. Would've fitted this disaster much better than whatever they played.

no, i think this song should have been played would have been much better. it sounds happy and sad, and i think it would have been great for the people getting their home back and sad for lagos and eiji's (interesting name) father. that and the singer of the credits was terrible :P

(3:35)

StevenHu said:
BakaAniki said:
Hahaha I wish. I found it in the internet.

This is another version. :D

http://i.imgur.com/F1IROFY.png

MUCH better than the "ship" one. thank you so much.

Nyron said:
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=143673

I wrote my two cents. I thought it was really bland.

"Overall the story felt like something Miyazaki would've written if he were 14." LOL XD

------
well that felt a lot longer than an hour and a half...:P

well i found it to come up to it's expectations from the movie. the romance was entirely unneeded because it was rushed and they would have been perfectly fine as friends. it felt like it anyway. that's why the kiss nearly revolted me because it was too soon and, like i said, they seemed like friends anyway. what is up with people thinking it's impossible for opposite genders to be platonic?

the part when the "stars" turned out to not be stars...when it was slowly revealed...that was BEAUTIFUL. amazing! the characters and their designs weren't very...characterish. in this sense i mean it wasn't very movie like besides for the length. i expect the animation in movies to be much better than the shows but this animation was like a show. the MCs weren't the distinct and the evil lolicon was too...complex? and...unsolved (i guess) in the end. he wasn't the "Ooh, I hate him because he's evil" type of villain. he just came off as a try hard villain and ended up annoying all the time.

in the "prequel" episodes, there was some really lame music for when the MCs met each other and eiji made the promise to see patema again. glad that was taken out, and i never even heard music like it again. it must have been some default or just some hashed up music for the moment at the time.

the gravity - as i expected - was barely anything to get used to and ended up CONFUSING AS CRAP. until the picture was shown....

i really liked it though. in the range of an 8 or 9. would rewatch sometime. it's really good content for some gifs as well :P
Nov 26, 2015 12:10 AM

Dec 2008
7.5 for inversion stuff. What kid didnt dream of and think upside down? lol NOt bad, not terribly original, but pretty damn close. And that music. Very noice!
Jan 18, 2016 6:54 PM

Feb 2010
Wasn't perfect, but was interesting enough

Jan 27, 2016 8:09 PM

Jun 2013
Just watched this with like 10 of my friends. The amount of NO FUCKING WAY's that went off was hilarious (can't imagine watching this drunk xD)
Feb 17, 2016 12:50 AM

May 2009
This movie is beautiful, the plot twist is amazing and I love the interaction between Age and Patema.
Mar 8, 2016 9:16 PM

Oct 2009
Art and soundtrack were stellar. The atmosphere was incredible. And I love the plot and characters. Such an interesting concept. It's really nice to see something original. Atm it's a 9/10 but I'm gonna give it a rewatch in the near future. Maybe I'll raise it to a 10 then.

Mar 16, 2016 3:01 AM

Apr 2013
Wow brilliant film albeit the slow start. Some nice romance as well between Patema and Age. The concept and the dystopia/utopian scifi elements are really well done and well-thought out. Amazing world setting and twists.

Beautiful art and soundtrack~
Apr 12, 2016 9:57 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
That was really really good and interesting.
I'm glad that i randomly decided to watch this tonight.

8.5/10 (but because we cant, i'll give it a 9.)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 27, 2016 12:54 AM

Sep 2015
Absolutely loved this movie! It isn't world changing or outrageously good but the story it told and how it portrayed everything was fantastic.

The story isn't at all complicated but it still pacts a strong punch. Two people who come from completely different worlds having different views and beliefs meet eachother and realise that the world outside of their own may not be such a bad place. A simple story, when coupled with a ton of symbolism that makes you think and look back on history itself, that has a great impact.

One thing that I am dissapointed in is the lack of a good soundtrack. Just my personal opinion but there were lots of opportunities to increase my immersion and enjoyment of the scenes with beautiful and powerful music. In the end a movie is more about the visuals than audio so it's not too big of a deal.

Speaking of visuals, the artwork is beautful and the animation is smooth. Artwork isn't anything jaw dropping but it's clean, crisp and delivers the beauty of the different worlds. Animation wise, I've never been one to notice any inconsistencies so I can't say much other than I didn't notice any slip ups. Cinematography at the beginning was pretty cool.

Character development wasn't the greatest but that's okay. The movie isn't dependent on the characters growing up or developing in any major way.

Overall I simply adore this movie. It's not great because it's really flashy, has incredible and complicated action scenes or a deep and rich plot. It's great because it tells a sweet and heartwarming story without all the lights and glitter. Short from being perfect, this is a movie that I would recommend to all.

Using the words from the top reviewer, imagine this movie as a story of a German boy trying to protect his Jewish friend as the holocaust is about to start.
Jun 26, 2016 11:03 PM

Nov 2014
Really an interesting movie, I mean the inverted weren't actually inverted but the supposedly "normal" people were actually the inverted. Hah, I was wondering about the false sky as well and it finally made sense at the end. Wished it had a bit more romance aspects but it was great to watch nevertheless.
Jul 9, 2016 10:18 PM

Sep 2013
The best anime movie I've seen, without a doubt! I don't care about the "ermeghard, physics" since the premise was to "break" gravity in first place. The only weak part of it was the villain for sure, but we can imagine him as a tyrant blinded by what he wants to see as the truth. Yea, that was some good shit for sure. One of the best animes I've watched no doubt.
Oct 4, 2016 12:51 PM

Apr 2012
I like the story a lot.

diamonddozen said:
As for the ending,

I realized that the moment Aiga's sky and the stars are made up
Oct 9, 2016 6:42 AM

Feb 2016
Started really good in the beginning but gradually falled apart after the rescue scene at the top. Physics were inconsistent and villians acted like absolute idiots. I hoped it will keep up with the "utopia" theme, but it turned into an illogical mess...
Oct 17, 2016 12:42 PM

Aug 2012
This anime has the right ideas.
It managed to surprise me and to warm my heart. Reminds me of FMA
Those friendship pictures were too good.
Nov 2, 2016 1:12 PM

Feb 2014
So my friend told me about this movie a couple years ago and I finally got around to watching it. I was liking it alright until the part where they fell into the sky and kept going until they found the fake sun and I then was like "YOOOOOOO THAT'S SO COOOOOL!" and it kept getting better and better from there so yeah, I really liked it! Trying to figure out how the world is was a little confusing, but luckily there are a lot of pics on google images for that :p 9-10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2016 7:49 PM

Jun 2007
This movie was awesome. The concept is very original and the whole movie was very interesting.

It's been a while since the last time I saw such an interesting and fresh movie.
Dec 3, 2016 4:06 AM

Sep 2014
Enjoyed this movie. The use of perspective was well done, alternating between which people were visually "upside down" at different points in the story.
Mirai, zura~!
Jan 9, 2017 11:29 PM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed the movie. The main two protagonists were likable and Patema herself was adorable. I loved the use of perspective between the two characters. It was quite disorienting, but I liked it. I haven't seen anything quite like that in anime before. The plot twists were pretty interesting. I wish it would have been a little longer, as i'd love to know more about the world the movie created. I have been meaning to watch this for a long time and it more than lived up to the hype for me. Really solid movie. 9/10
Apr 27, 2017 12:37 PM
Apr 2017
Well, this movie is pretty good for me.. I love Patema, she's pretty cute :D but the ending, what's with that twist?? It was quite unsatisfying.. Could they at least show some scenes after that whole thing happened?? Ok, that's all I got to say about this movie, I enjoyed this, love you Patema, wish I got an upside down girlfriend..
YuanriApr 27, 2017 12:42 PM
Apr 30, 2017 4:02 PM

Jul 2015
I liked the movie, it looked amazing, but it had some flaws and was a bit unlogical. And the main problem is the "reduced world" (micro cosmos) or whatever you wanna call it. The whole humankind is presented by these few figures in the movie? There were basically just some soldiers, a school and the underground group with something like 100 people? So the rest of the world (right now 7 billions) dont exist anymore and thats it? No other towns or continents? I get the totalitarian state idea (I read 1984. but hell did George Orwell explain it in a convincing and detailed way), but well.. it just was unrealistic. Also the main antagonist is totally one dimensional and everybody goes along with him? Well, its out of fear, but it doesnt seem anybody really wants that system. I always hate it if such an enviroment is created, just so that you can execute your movie idea premise and the conflict.

Also their first meeting wasnt emotional enough. I expected way more fear of death, screaming, panic and so on, it was there, but imo not enough. But that was just a minor issue. Still, the first point remains, so def a movie worth seeing, but not the best sci fi film ever.
PirateMadrykApr 30, 2017 4:08 PM
Jun 26, 2017 1:17 PM

Apr 2012
yay! a non-cliche plot twist
Jul 7, 2017 1:23 AM

Oct 2015
The anime was weird and neglected some parts and focused on the characters rather than the story.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 16, 2017 2:24 AM

Aug 2014
The initial concept was pretty interesting for the first ~30 mins of the movie. Unfortunately the movie was way too formulatic and predictable to keep me alert.

Must watch for those young casual viewers who haven't seen too many similiar (generic) movies targeted for younger audience.

Aug 23, 2017 3:50 AM

Jun 2012
I enjoyed it a lot, it's a fresh movie/concept for me.

Sep 15, 2017 9:50 AM

Sep 2015
Honestly fun little movie. Interesting if not brilliant concept. I liked the two leads even if most of the supporting cast was one note. And the villains were especially boring. It's strange premise was really aided by top notch animation. All the scenes where characters are in danger of flying into the sky were well realized and tense. I really liked Patema even though she spent much of the story as a damsel in distress. At one point literally in a locked tower. Her arc and love story were actually pretty moving. Considering the plot was one of the weakest parts of the film. I don't have much more to say about this. But the scene where Patema and Age went hurtling into the sky near the end. Kind of made my hair stand on end. I don't really do well with heights. I mean who does on that scale. When it's that well animated.
Oct 28, 2017 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
ugh i got a stomachache from watching it
dem 69 jokes tho :D

overall a pretty nice movie. glad i stumbled onto it.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» So what exactly is good about this movie?

Nyron - Dec 28, 2014

34 by maximovich »»
Jan 17, 5:35 PM

» Is Sakasama no Patema a romance?

Hosny - Jul 20, 2017

5 by waalex11 »»
Jan 10, 9:23 AM

» Children? Spoiler

PirateMadryk - Apr 30, 2017

7 by Seiya0890 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:11 PM

» can someone explain the end to me (spoilers)

Scootboi - May 22, 2014

22 by Scootboi »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:56 PM

» *SPOILERS* End Letter Decode ( 1 2 )

Weapon_Master - May 11, 2014

54 by XxMakagOxX »»
Jul 6, 2023 11:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.