Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 11, 2013 9:34 AM

Jul 2010
I'm so hyped for this. Really enjoyed it.
Oct 11, 2013 10:27 AM
Feb 2012
Cute idea, but not exactly my cup of tea. May those who like it enjoy it nonetheless, though.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 11, 2013 10:37 AM

Apr 2011
Weird, I was expecting something more serious. Can't really say what I think of this yet. Have to give it a couple more weeks. Also, is it just me or did the Hazama look like a grown up Nagisa (Free!)?
Oct 11, 2013 11:38 AM
Feb 2013
Oh an anime whose MC is a nut job and a cop who also becomes another nut job.

Ya know, i'm beginning to think that this anime is Japanize version of Kick-Ass.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=22044
RazorRamona200Oct 11, 2013 11:44 AM
Oct 11, 2013 12:44 PM

Sep 2011
RazorRamona200 said:

Ya know, i'm beginning to think that this anime is Japanize version of Kick-Ass.

where the hell did you get the idea that the cop was a nutjob, in kickass big daddy went batshit insane over revenge, in this, hes just a cop, not even crazy hes literally just a cop

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 11, 2013 1:04 PM

May 2010
Did i Just watch Kickass?
Oct 11, 2013 1:30 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah, that was quite weird, but entertaining none-the-less and it has a great OP. Completely forgot that Sugita was voicing the MC, so that was a nice little surprise.
Oct 11, 2013 2:01 PM

Aug 2013
and so, ladies and gentlemen, this series surpassed my expectations, I love this shit and Sugitan's voice.

maaannn, I've been eagerly waiting to watch this since series with such storyline is my weakness *coughs* Tiger & Bunny *coughs* and Kamen Rider is my childhood and I fucking love heroes-themed anime and Samurai Flamenco is the only heroes-themed series for this season (I think......) digging the OP (yay SPYAIRRRRRR)

rooting for this show along with KnB, Kyousougiga, KLK and etc. Man, 2013 Fall Anime sure does have a lot of interesting shows
Oct 11, 2013 2:32 PM

Oct 2007
this show is hilarious
Oct 11, 2013 2:51 PM
Aug 2013
If it continues like that, it has all the chances to be my favorite anime of the year.
Oct 11, 2013 4:23 PM

Jun 2012
This episode was great. I'm hoping Masayoshi will actually gain super powers, but if he doesn't I guess this will just be a better version of kickass. Also spyair plus sugita reminded me of gintama :)
Oct 11, 2013 5:23 PM

Mar 2008
Mixed feelings.

It wasn't that entertaining, but the Kamen Rider and Sentai references were awesome and this show has something that speaks directly to my inner child.

And of course, it has the spirit of justice and heroism of the Tokusatsu heroes.

Not a fan of the fujoshi baits though.

And no, it will be ruined if Masayoshi gains powers or gets too strong. Breaking the suspension of disbelief will kill the show. It'll be ruined just like Kick Ass was. And we'll stop identifying ourselves with the MC
Oct 11, 2013 6:02 PM

Jun 2012
parfaited said:
It looks like this will be fun for me. Something with a name like Samurai Flamenco cannot possibly be a letdown.

Japman said:
So hyped for this.

I'm more hyped for this than for Kill La Kill. There I said it. oops

This.

Whoops I said it.
Whoops.
Tutturu ~
Oct 11, 2013 6:54 PM

Jan 2008
m4rc0 said:

And no, it will be ruined if Masayoshi gains powers or gets too strong. Breaking the suspension of disbelief will kill the show. It'll be ruined just like Kick Ass was. And we'll stop identifying ourselves with the MC

Only the films broke suspension of disbelief. The graphic novels are much more in line with what you are looking for.

I actually enjoyed this episode. It helps that the main characters are adults with actual jobs and experience rather than teenagers in a slice of life anime. Most animes with adult characters are in more action-oriented roles, so it's nice to see a slice of life featuring an adult cast.

Plus I love the premise. The chemistry between the two characters are great and the first episode has a good premise. Some people don't get what the series is going, but it's obvious that it's going for the 'repercussions and struggles of being a superhero, which is why no one wants to be a superhero'.

Will keep watching.
Oct 11, 2013 7:05 PM

Sep 2011
Ammish said:
m4rc0 said:

Only the films broke suspension of disbelief. The graphic novels are much more in line with what you are looking for.
Not really, the book kick ass 2 was based off falls victim to way too many over the top scenarios and complete forgone actions from reality, also while in the movies big daddy was a great character while the novels he was downright despicable and was not intentionally. Kick ass was generally a downhill series and it seemed like the movies noticed this and tried to work around it by introducing the absurd early on rather than let it gradually beocme just another super hero check list like the novels eventually did

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 11, 2013 7:46 PM

Nov 2007
What's said in the spoiler below.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 11, 2013 8:36 PM

Jan 2012
No idea what the ED has to do with the show but it was cute.

I thought the chemistry between the two guys was really good, I hope it continues to get better!

And yea Kick-Ass.
Oct 11, 2013 9:51 PM
May 2010
I'm wondering if the bromance between Masayoshi and Goto will be as good as Jojo's and Caesar

Oh and the ED is so cute
Oct 12, 2013 1:11 AM

Feb 2008
So this is like an anime version of Kickass, eh?
It was a pretty nice start so far, but that's to be expected when you consider who the director of this series is.
Oct 12, 2013 1:26 AM

Dec 2012
ohh, the art style and character design is really nice! i didn't expect that tbh. i thought it would look way more cartoon-y. well, i haven't seen any previews/promos and i have just seen pictures before, so maybe that's the reason why it surprised me.

i was actually really skeptical if i should watch this anime, but so far it looks really good. i would like it to be more serious and not turn into complete comedy, but as i said, i still enjoyed it a lot.

i wonder what they plan to do with 24 episodes...
Oct 12, 2013 4:00 AM

Jul 2013
SPYAIR for OP! <3
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT
SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY...
Oct 12, 2013 7:32 AM
May 2012
Uh oh.... Someone got inspired of Kickass Movie…

And also I've been expecting to hear Kushida Akira's music as we seen on trailer. Where is it?
JafriZinOct 12, 2013 7:39 AM
Oct 12, 2013 8:11 AM

Oct 2011
SPYAIR!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH XDDDD

Sugita AHHHHH

A model who wants to be a superhero!!!

EPIC!!!
Oct 12, 2013 9:00 AM

Jan 2010
Poor cop! Getting his hands full with that home-made superhero. But i somehow sympathise with Samurai and his determination. Don't give up!!
Oct 12, 2013 9:10 AM
Oct 2011
pizza_012 said:
Kill La Kill looks SHIT compared to this. 'Nuff Said.
KlK started turning to shit since that outfit though.

OT:
I enjoyed the episode, yet I can't express how disappointed I am. What I was expecting was totally different, and the way the show is, I see no potential for it at all, but guess I'll wait for the next 2 episodes and see if one will become obvious.
Oct 12, 2013 9:53 AM

Jul 2011
reminds me of KickAss

That scene when Masayoshi come to the police station is really AWKWARDDDDD, that other policeman must've think right now that Goto is gay and Masayoshi is his sissy lover.
milloOct 12, 2013 10:05 AM
Oct 12, 2013 10:08 AM

Aug 2011
I really dislike the OST, but this show is awesome!
Oct 12, 2013 10:47 AM

Mar 2008
Ammish said:

Never watched the movie. Hit Girl breaks any suspension of disbelief the comic could've had. When she showed up it stopped being what would happen if a guy decided to suit up and go fight crime and turned into a normal hero story. And that ruined it.
Oct 12, 2013 10:55 AM

Jan 2010
I got a faint yaoi vibe... I hope it's just bromance.
"Seize the time, Meribor - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Oct 12, 2013 12:07 PM

Jul 2012
Unique show. I like the characters and the presentation - I'm getting dem Baccano/DRRR feels just from watching this, because the execution is so similar. Definitely will watch this to the end.

itsvero said:
I really dislike the OST, but this show is awesome!

I love the OST. It's like Baccano and DRRR's. :)

Archie74 said:
I got a faint yaoi vibe... I hope it's just bromance.

Hope so. I'm gonna cringe if people ship the main two together :|
Oct 12, 2013 1:00 PM
Jan 2013
I feel like I'm watching "kick ass," I hope this doesn't turn into yaoi, co'z if it does, I'm dropping it.
Oct 12, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Ammish said:
m4rc0 said:

Not really, the book kick ass 2 was based off falls victim to way too many over the top scenarios and complete forgone actions from reality, also while in the movies big daddy was a great character while the novels he was downright despicable and was not intentionally. Kick ass was generally a downhill series and it seemed like the movies noticed this and tried to work around it by introducing the absurd early on rather than let it gradually beocme just another super hero check list like the novels eventually did

Compared to the movie, Kick Ass 2 is very tame in comparison. It's a lot more gritty and violent, with scene of rape and child murder, plus the final battle between Hit Girl and Mother Russia was handled a lot better in the comics than the film (the former had Hit Girl killed Mother Russia because of pure luck, whereas the film had her use some superdrug).

Big Daddy in the comics is a despicable character, but it works. Kick Ass as a whole has always been about the repercussions of being a super hero. Why we don't have real life superheroes. Big Daddy was obsessed with the superhero life because he hated his own life. He wanted to be like the one in his comics and bringing his daughter along, to be raised up on that stuff, backs up what is the theme of KickAss. And that is being a super hero isn't like in your comics. It's a delusion. It's unhealthy and it's detrimental. And it's like vigilantism, where taking things into your own hand can backfire.

And Dave, the main character who still continue down this path, may end up like Big Daddy. Both of them have in common is that they were obsessed with the comic book world and want to live it.

That is why I love the Kick Ass comics. It's a deconstruction of the superhero genre.
Oct 12, 2013 4:30 PM

Dec 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
chaos86 said:
Makes me wonder why don't they just animate Kick Ass. Would be more interesting if there's actually an ass-kicking character like Hit Girl. It's gonna be really bland if this guy's just gonna go around solving petty crimes for 22 episodes.

I'm still reeling with the fact that the hilarious Nou Come only got 10 episodes while potentially boring series like this got 22.
your completely missing the point, kick ass was a parody of the supoerhero cliches, specifically of spiderman(it eventually lost itself and jumped the shark later on by becoming just another super hero story) while this is about the childhood innocence of wanting to grow up to be something more than humanly possible, we all did it and we all put it behind us somewhere in our childhood. This is about if someone actually continues to live through that childhood dream. Its not trying to be kick ass and if you threw in some hit girl like character that would completely kill the entire point cause this show actually takes place in the real world, kick ass at first tried to be our world but got way too over the top and lost that feel

This.

Please stop saying it's like Kick ass.
Oct 12, 2013 5:08 PM

Sep 2011
Ammish said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Ammish said:
m4rc0 said:

Compared to the movie, Kick Ass 2 is very tame in comparison. It's a lot more gritty and violent, with scene of rape and child murder, plus the final battle between Hit Girl and Mother Russia was handled a lot better in the comics than the film (the former had Hit Girl killed Mother Russia because of pure luck, whereas the film had her use some superdrug).

Big Daddy in the comics is a despicable character, but it works. Kick Ass as a whole has always been about the repercussions of being a super hero. Why we don't have real life superheroes. Big Daddy was obsessed with the superhero life because he hated his own life. He wanted to be like the one in his comics and bringing his daughter along, to be raised up on that stuff, backs up what is the theme of KickAss. And that is being a super hero isn't like in your comics. It's a delusion. It's unhealthy and it's detrimental. And it's like vigilantism, where taking things into your own hand can backfire.

And Dave, the main character who still continue down this path, may end up like Big Daddy. Both of them have in common is that they were obsessed with the comic book world and want to live it.

That is why I love the Kick Ass comics. It's a deconstruction of the superhero genre.
i agree and disagree with different parts of this statement, to me though kick ass really lost its baring on reality after big daddy and hit girl were introduced, they were too superhuman but even then it still fit, but as time went on and especially by the end of the first major arc of the series it really just become another super hero story, and just cause it was gritty didn't make it less of a superhero story, watchman is a very clear example of that. I still like kickass alot but it missed a opportunity to truly be something else and instead took a bit too much of an easy route through it by separating itself from our reality. it still told a excellent story though.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 12, 2013 6:16 PM
Sep 2009
Tiger & Bunny!
Oct 12, 2013 7:16 PM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:

This.

Please stop saying it's like Kick ass.
But it is like Kick-Ass... I'd be surprised if the author / director of this anime hasn't seen Kick-Ass, but that doesn't mean it's a copy of the series (not to speak for others, but I doubt most of the people comparing them are suggesting that). It's just a somewhat unique plot... so there's bound to be people comparing the two. I mean I haven't seen the second Kick-Ass or read the comics... but this first episode does start a lot like the first movie, with him getting beaten up and gaining interest through the internet.

OT: Was a pretty good episode I think, if not a little bit awkward. Honestly, someone rich like him though... I'm not sure why he wouldn't be taking martial arts classes. I mean with that kinda fighting spirit, he'd certainly have no problem at least learning the ropes, it's not really hard to learn if ye got the money and the drive. I was actually expecting this to be less serious than it was... just because of the art style and colors, and the description... (of course I realized in the first minute that it was probably more serious) though it still had a good amount of humor.
HalibelTheEspadaOct 12, 2013 7:21 PM
Oct 12, 2013 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
Well that was fun. I'm really excited, even if Hazama's belief in superheroes is a little cringe-worthy.
The feel of the city was really nice, between this and DRRR! i'm pretty much sure that if you are making an anime set in a city, it should be your dream to get this guy to direct it. (forgot his name D:)
Oct 12, 2013 8:54 PM

Apr 2007
I'm sad I haven't seen Kick-Ass so I can't join the repetitive comments :(

Great start, seems like this will be a lot of fun (love the music already). Kamen Rider-like costume designs always bother me, and almost made me not want to watch this, but guess I'll just have to get used to it.
Oct 13, 2013 9:49 AM
May 2012
Inver said:
Tiger & Bunny!

Close enough. we shall see what happens in next episode.
Oct 13, 2013 11:05 AM
Mar 2012
Reminds me a lot of Tiger & Bunny, too. Which is promising. I actually quite liked it, though I can't really say why.
Oct 13, 2013 2:04 PM
Feb 2013
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
RazorRamona200 said:

where the hell did you get the idea that the cop was a nutjob, in kickass big daddy went batshit insane over revenge, in this, hes just a cop, not even crazy hes literally just a cop

Well, because he didn't bring that poco loco character to his Koban (police Box) and gave him a lecture or threaten him that he'll take him to the loony bin.
Oct 13, 2013 6:04 PM

Jul 2012
I watched this just cause my boy Sugita's in it.
Oct 13, 2013 11:01 PM

Dec 2011
That was really a fun watch. Will keep on watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2013 9:30 AM

Apr 2010
didn't like the episode, i only continued to watch the epi to its end because goto's voice actor is the same as gintoki's xD
Oct 14, 2013 12:06 PM

Feb 2010
I liked how different this first episode was... Looking forward to more!
Oct 15, 2013 1:28 PM

May 2012
Is this comedy or action anime ?

Feels more like comedy. I didn't like 1st ep
Oct 15, 2013 1:46 PM
Jul 2013
Aburrido.
Oct 15, 2013 5:54 PM

Jul 2009
Seriously nobody in this joint watched Kick ass and Kick ass 2?

Anyways, this definitely resembles Kick ass movies. With a guy that wanted to become a hero by getting asskicked. Just like the movie guy gets beaten up at first, someone videos him, uploaded in the internet etc. etc. :P and I presume 3 or more people will then do the same thing and make a hero of themselves like the guy in the roof top at the preview.

Looks ok i think, and Goto's voice is nice haha Might get better later on.
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Oct 15, 2013 11:06 PM

Jun 2011
Wow this is cool! I first thought that this will be something cliche like man turn humanoid/superhero then fight evil, but that's not the case here. So far I am liking both the main lead too ^^

Pretty decent OP. So far, one of the best of the season along with Galilei Donna.

Edit: I really love Tomokazu Sugita as the cop, somehow I think that he fits, but not the case for Ragna from BlazBlue, that still need some time.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 17, 2013 8:05 AM

Sep 2012
A Japanese take of Kick Ass indeed.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

122 by dragnpiano »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2014

123 by Attackonfiller »»
Nov 21, 2022 11:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.