Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 6, 2013 10:01 AM
Sep 2013
I watched season 1 and I was a huge fan of it, I thought it was great.
I guess if you read the manga and compared it with the anime, the season could have been better.
The first episode of this season is great, though the beginning with spoiler-ish, I didn't mind.

So Aladdin is going on his own journey. I feel that Morgiana will do the same and so will Alibaba. The three will split and go on their own for a while, do some growing, and then come together again and kick ass.
Oct 6, 2013 10:10 AM

Jul 2010
Aladdin no ecchi~

During that intro my face was like: WTF?
So, I'm guessing that they will show it at the end of this season.

Anyway, I'm glad Magi is back. I'm looking forward to it.
Also, that ending by Aqua Timez <3 And SID with the OP.
Oct 6, 2013 10:17 AM

May 2012
I dind´t like the op song but that´s okay, about the rest its fine...
Oct 6, 2013 10:23 AM

Aug 2009
Quite a bunch of spoilers in the opening scene. Aladdin summoning giants would have been more than enough to kickstart this season. It was unnecessary to show all those characters at once.

The episode itself was good. I like the interactions between the characters, add some suspense and drama and the plot is being set for a new adventure.

Aladdin, Alibaba and Morgiana are so great together. And yes, the three of them share the same bed during their stay in Sindria. I think it's sweet :)
http://i.imgur.com/9HidCYs.png
Oct 6, 2013 10:34 AM
Feb 2013
The episode was alright. Not superb, but certainly not bad neither.

Yeah, I remember the same discussions about 'how they messed up'; even now some say so, and we're only at the first ep...

*rolls eyes*

Truth is, I remember first seeing the anime and then only the manga, contrary to most others manga/anime, and - if you've not read it beforehand - one would generally agree it's a great anime-series.

Yes, yes, here and there they could have done better, and the manga was a bit more in-depth, but really, with the constraint of the number of episodes, this is unavoidable: some things just *have* to give in and be omitted. I think most people complaining about the anime, are people who read the manga and are just to perfectionist about it. On itself, the anime is good. On some fronts the manga is better, true, but that doesn't make the anime 'bad'. I try to hold the middle-ground between the devotion of fanboys and eternal manga prudishts, that many here seem to choose. It's not bad at all, but it's not without faults neither.

As for this episode, for instance, I thought the opening scene - as it was shown - was a mistake. If I had made this episode, I would not, or at least not with that length, shown a 'future flashback', or how you wanna call it. Yes, it makes an impact, and non-manga readers are directly captivated. It says 'awesome' right from the start, true. It's important to peak the interest of the audience right away. I understand it, and from a meta-stance, like view- and sale-numbers, I comprehend why they did it.

Only, it does mess up the natural flow of the future sequence a bit, or at least, things will not come as a surprise anymore. Manga readers will know, that many, many suspenseful moments will arrive, when Alladin gets to Magnostadt. Life-threatening events, even...but what is the use of those, if you NOW already know he's going to be safe, at least until that scene happens?? And when you-know-who says "Alladin, you truly are a magi"..well, he's already given away half the mystery of one of the subplots... because, if one says something, it implies something of the one saying it too. Even his 'gradually getting stronger' education is already screwed up or made not really surprising anymore; whatever happens, you already know he will gain a level where he can create three giants and fire a huge fireball with unbelievable force... well, now, what to think of the scenes where he will struggle and one doesn't know how far he will get; not really all that emphatically convincing anymore now, is it? And look, we see a bunch of red-haired strangers fighting. Now, what race might that be, I wonder? Ummm...(again: no surprise of their appearance anymore) Etc.

No, they divulged FAR too much with that opening scene, and it had no sense being there, expect for the meta-vision as I explained. which is rather worthless in my appreciation of the anime itself.

Now, this does not make the anime crap, mind you. It may seem I'm complaining overlong about it, but that's because I thought that scene was a choice of the director/creator of the anime that was a strategic mistake. Nothing major, but still a mistake. Nothing less, nothing more. I would have done it differently, with respect to the scenes/surprises/revelations that yet have to follow. The appreciation for this can be different from person to person, but in general, if one opens a scene where, for instance, the hero is victorious in a battle, then I've always found it less captivating and was less thrilled and get less suspense out of the' life-and-death' scenes of the battle. Because they aren't life-and-death situations anymore. He'll survive. You've seen it from the start.

To some extend I have the same feeling a bit with this opening scene, which is why I hope they won't continue in that way.

All of the rest of the scenes were pretty well done, though.
AnimageNebyOct 6, 2013 10:46 AM
Oct 6, 2013 10:38 AM

May 2012
Kougyouku! I wanna see the next episode already. Poor Dunya... Only scene that actually made me feel sad.

Oct 6, 2013 10:49 AM

Jun 2012
VioLink said:
http://i.imgur.com/AzMBMCi.png
OH MY! Never change Aladdin.

Looks like they added a anime original Kougyoku x Sinbad scene. Poor Dunya ;_;
I was laughing for 2 minutes straight when I saw this. I had to pause the damn episode XD. Especially since the manga has been so serious as of late I forgot the comedy aspect of Magi.
Also the ending theme is by Aqua Timez; it was really refreshing to hear b/c I haven't heard one of their songs in a long time.
Oct 6, 2013 11:09 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
AnimageNeby said:
No, they divulged FAR too much with that opening scene, and it had no sense being there, expect for the meta-vision as I explained. which is rather worthless in my appreciation of the anime itself.

^Pretty much this. Wasn't expecting THAT to be the opening scene o_o what huge spoiler. Though I guess it's a way to grab attention to new watchers....but still.

pillsbury15 said:
Seeing as how every arc before came out rushed and sloppy, My standards for this are pretty low... Fucking A-1.

Still Decent Start just don't cram everything up to the war in 24 episodes.

Definitely agree with this, I wish they had gotten a different person for the series composition this time, but oh well. Because I had lower expectations this time around, I actually ended up enjoying most of the episode :) Aladdin is a perv as always, but he's adorable, and I love seeing Alibaba, Morgiana, and Hakuryuu. Loved the OP and ED, especially the ED song.
Oct 6, 2013 11:21 AM

Jul 2009
what she's going to die? a few seconds ago aladdin was going down on her. JEEEZ.
Oct 6, 2013 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
oh my... Aladdin is such a player
hilarious
Oct 6, 2013 11:36 AM

Jul 2010
Oh god, seriously?
When I saw that intro I thought they skipped over the entire arc. Putting that at the start of the episode is by itself a horrible idea. I'm expecting this season to be just as unsatisfactory as the previous season.

I'll watch it, but I'll wager that the manga will still be FAR superior.
Oct 6, 2013 11:40 AM

Mar 2013
Glad to see Magi's back with a second season!
Oct 6, 2013 11:46 AM

Dec 2010
Candor said:
It probably went this way, the conversation between Yoshino Hiroyuki and the director and how they reached the decision:

- Haha ore no tensai Yoshino-sama! Even Aizen has nothing on you. Maybe you should give Kubo a couple pieces of advice to use in the current arc.
-Meh, Kubo. He's way behind our time, even his anime is over
-Haha, sasuga Hiroyuki Yoshino san

^^ that's epic dude , lol ...

@AnimageNeby

thanks for pointing out the problems of first 3 minutes .i just dont get any sane logic behind adding that promo at the very beginning even after that unnecessary s1 ending. how much short sighted they could get ?

anyway their adaptation is not very bad . i remember admiring the first 7 episodes of season 1 . its just they dont know how to do justice to a good source material till the end ...or at least be a little faithful to the mangaka in this case... they can't judge what to include when to include .so much lack of sense . as for magi production house of A1 , that has become a given fact now. i bet they themselves think they have done a pretty good job for episode 1.
headless_nickOct 6, 2013 11:55 AM
Oct 6, 2013 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
I wonder what country Magnostadt is supposed to be,since Yamuraiha is one of the few characters that doesn't have an Arabic name (other than the ones from the Kou empire?).
Anyway,not a bad start.
Oct 6, 2013 11:59 AM

May 2012
good first ep, except the opening scene., that was a heavy spoiler.. really like kana's voice, it makes kougyoku more cute..

Oct 6, 2013 12:02 PM

Mar 2008
The opening scene is spoiler? Maybe I should skip it...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2013 12:03 PM

Jan 2013
Yay for more Morgiana! Props to the Kougyoku x Sinbad scene. I just wish they would follow much more of the manga.
Oct 6, 2013 12:04 PM

May 2010
Its BACK! the action backed pervness show that ive waited for! only thing that i didnt like about this episode, is why do they gotta show an "oh shit" moment from the very beginning? hate when show do that other then that it was godlike even tho the sad moment at the end got to me.
Oct 6, 2013 12:19 PM

Aug 2013
Oh Aladdin, you little pervert, you. And what was with the opening? Apparently it's a spoiler? Oh well, it was a good first episode anyway. I liked the first season a lot, and I hope this season's as good, if not better.
wow gay
Oct 6, 2013 12:24 PM

Mar 2012
From the opening scene , you already know they are going to cram the entire next arch into 24 episodes. Fortunately, it is around 82+ chapters instead of 120 chapters for season 1.
IF they adapt this season well, we might not need MLA: Magihood afterall.
Oct 6, 2013 12:31 PM

Dec 2011
The OP is ok but I don't like the ED. Hmm Sinbad has always been a sketchy character to me..

Oct 6, 2013 12:33 PM

Mar 2013
Gonna watch this right now...
Oct 6, 2013 12:41 PM
Oct 2011
Salxer said:
I wonder what country Magnostadt is supposed to be,
You mean the country it's based on? It'll become more obvious once you reach it, based on the city, its people, especially its leader, and the words they use, but for now keep in mind what Yamu said in this episode about the coup d'état. Another info you should know is Its previous name, which was Al-Mustashim Kingdom. It was mentioned before.
(I'd rather let people figure it out themselves than someone tell it to them. Some will find it interesting, some will find it funny, some will deny it)
Candor123Oct 6, 2013 12:46 PM
Oct 6, 2013 12:44 PM

Sep 2012
Am I the only manga reader who actually has genuine hope?
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Oct 6, 2013 12:45 PM

Sep 2012
Candor said:
Salxer said:
You mean the country it's based on? It'll become more obvious once you reach it, based on the traits of its people and the words they use, but for now keep in mind what Yamu said in this episode about the coup d'état. Another info you should know is Its previous name, which was Al-Mustashim Kingdom. It was mentioned before.
(I'd rather let people figure it out themselves than someone tell it to them)

Can't wait to see Aladdin receive his letter from Hogwarts.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Oct 6, 2013 1:07 PM

Mar 2013
Lol that was pretty good, better than season 1
"I never thought that someone would make a move on a woman before me. You are a true Magi, Aladdin." ~Sinbad
Oct 6, 2013 1:09 PM

Jul 2012
Ohmigod, the ED is by Aqua Timez! :DDD

Anyway, decent first episode. A bit slow at times, for me. But interesting nevertheless. I'm interested to see how things will turn out, to "that" part (that was in the beginning). LOL Sinbad's such a playa, but Aladdin's learning. T_T
Oct 6, 2013 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
Candor said:
Salxer said:
You mean the country it's based on? It'll become more obvious once you reach it, based on the city, its people, especially its leader, and the words they use, but for now keep in mind what Yamu said in this episode about the coup d'état. Another info you should know is Its previous name, which was Al-Mustashim Kingdom. It was mentioned before.
(I'd rather let people figure it out themselves than someone tell it to them. Some will find it interesting, some will find it funny, some will deny it)

I forgot about it's previous name,now that you mention it and the other thing Dunya said,it's pretty easy to guess.

It's people,leader and words they use?now I'm interested.Hope they adapt this arc well.
Oct 6, 2013 2:10 PM
Aug 2011
I wish that people would stop comparing it to the manga so much, so what the manga is better, I haven't seen the manga and if the manga didn't exist I would consider this anime to be a very good one. If the manga is a 10/10, it doesn't make this a 6/10 anime just because it didn't follow the original right, I mean, are you saying this anime adaptation is the same grade as those mindless ecchi animes that usually get 5-6/10? Even without the epicness of the manga (which I want to check out later), this anime got me hooked, and even after reading the manga I might go disappointed things got a little different and worse, but it doesn't mean those different things are bad, it's like saying if it's not done like that it is shit, no matter how it was done. I like strawberries/fruits basket manga more than apples/fruits basket anime and I don't like bananas/Akikan!, but it doesn't mean apples/fruits basket anime are bad and are in the same grade as bananas/Akikan!
Oct 6, 2013 2:21 PM
Aug 2011
AnimageNeby said:
The episode was alright. Not superb, but certainly not bad neither.

Yeah, I remember the same discussions about 'how they messed up'; even now some say so, and we're only at the first ep...

*rolls eyes*

Truth is, I remember first seeing the anime and then only the manga, contrary to most others manga/anime, and - if you've not read it beforehand - one would generally agree it's a great anime-series.

Yes, yes, here and there they could have done better, and the manga was a bit more in-depth, but really, with the constraint of the number of episodes, this is unavoidable: some things just *have* to give in and be omitted. I think most people complaining about the anime, are people who read the manga and are just to perfectionist about it. On itself, the anime is good. On some fronts the manga is better, true, but that doesn't make the anime 'bad'. I try to hold the middle-ground between the devotion of fanboys and eternal manga prudishts, that many here seem to choose. It's not bad at all, but it's not without faults neither.

As for this episode, for instance, I thought the opening scene - as it was shown - was a mistake. If I had made this episode, I would not, or at least not with that length, shown a 'future flashback', or how you wanna call it. Yes, it makes an impact, and non-manga readers are directly captivated. It says 'awesome' right from the start, true. It's important to peak the interest of the audience right away. I understand it, and from a meta-stance, like view- and sale-numbers, I comprehend why they did it.

Only, it does mess up the natural flow of the future sequence a bit, or at least, things will not come as a surprise anymore. Manga readers will know, that many, many suspenseful moments will arrive, when Alladin gets to Magnostadt. Life-threatening events, even...but what is the use of those, if you NOW already know he's going to be safe, at least until that scene happens?? And when you-know-who says "Alladin, you truly are a magi"..well, he's already given away half the mystery of one of the subplots... because, if one says something, it implies something of the one saying it too. Even his 'gradually getting stronger' education is already screwed up or made not really surprising anymore; whatever happens, you already know he will gain a level where he can create three giants and fire a huge fireball with unbelievable force... well, now, what to think of the scenes where he will struggle and one doesn't know how far he will get; not really all that emphatically convincing anymore now, is it? And look, we see a bunch of red-haired strangers fighting. Now, what race might that be, I wonder? Ummm...(again: no surprise of their appearance anymore) Etc.

Now, this does not make the anime crap, mind you. It may seem I'm complaining overlong about it, but that's because I thought that scene was a choice of the director/creator of the anime that was a strategic mistake. Nothing major, but still a mistake. Nothing less, nothing more. I would have done it differently, with respect to the scenes/surprises/revelations that yet have to follow. The appreciation for this can be different from person to person, but in general, if one opens a scene where, for instance, the hero is victorious in a battle, then I've always found it less captivating and was less thrilled and get less suspense out of the' life-and-death' scenes of the battle. Because they aren't life-and-death situations anymore. He'll survive. You've seen it from the start.

To some extend I have the same feeling a bit with this opening scene, which is why I hope they won't continue in that way.

All of the rest of the scenes were pretty well done, though.

I totally agree with this guy and he said what I wanted to say in the previous post much better and clear
Oct 6, 2013 2:23 PM

Feb 2012
Yeah we're back to Magi with based #A-1 Pictures.

Nice episode, Aladdin thirsty as always lol.

OP and ED are spot on.
Oct 6, 2013 2:25 PM

Jul 2012
I didn't like the opening scene either and I'm a non-manga reader. Too spoilerish? I guess.
Oct 6, 2013 2:46 PM

Jul 2010
Oh, I've missing this anime, I really does.

Aladdin, you pervert xD
Oct 6, 2013 3:35 PM

May 2013
Funny first episode, can't wait for more. Judging from manga readers, this arc will be a good one if they adapt it correctly, I need to get around to reading that. Need more Morgiana (as if you didn't see that coming judging from my forum avatar).
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Oct 6, 2013 3:46 PM

Dec 2012
Man, Aladdin is awesome, he has one of the best personalities i've seen in a anime

http://i.imgur.com/umrKrBW.png
http://i.imgur.com/AzMBMCi.png
Oct 6, 2013 3:48 PM

Nov 2012
I though Sinbad met Ja'far when they were in the late teens/early adult years than kids?

mayukachan said:
I didn't like the opening scene either and I'm a non-manga reader. Too spoilerish? I guess.
I'm way past where the anime is at the moment, but that opening scene hasn't happened where I am and I felt spoiled as hell.
Oct 6, 2013 4:22 PM

Jun 2013
intense intro scene funny as hell as usual holy shit it's Aqua Timez!!
Oct 6, 2013 4:28 PM

Aug 2009
Unit-01 said:
I though Sinbad met Ja'far when they were in the late teens/early adult years than kids?

mayukachan said:
I'm way past where the anime is at the moment, but that opening scene hasn't happened where I am and I felt spoiled as hell.

I believe it's official that Sinbad was 14 and Jafar 10, when they meet, so they have been together for more than 15 years. Also, notice it was mentioned Yamuraiha left Magnostadt and joined Sinbad 10 years ago.

The opening felt misplaced. I don't know what they are thinking >_<
mikadocsOct 6, 2013 4:33 PM
Oct 6, 2013 4:28 PM

Jan 2013
Candor said:
It probably went this way, the conversation between Yoshino Hiroyuki and the director and how they reached the decision:

Welp, this made my day.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 6, 2013 4:32 PM

Jul 2010
That was a nice start, but i think i have to rewatch first season since i don't remember details about plot.My bad memory strikes again.
Also, Aqua Timez doing ED.Feels so nostalgic to hear Futoshi's voice again.
Oct 6, 2013 4:35 PM

Nov 2012
OH YEAH. i have been waiting for this season to start. i'm so glad i'll have something to look forward to from now on
Oct 6, 2013 5:03 PM

Jan 2011
second anime this season to kinda spoil the big finale (Don't like that at all!)

Aladdin don't ever change you little perv lol

episode it's self wasn't half bad i'm a little ashamed that i never caught up with magi just started reading 112 today funny enough that's where this picks up from,gonna be interesting reading it at the same time but for the sake of getting details the anime might not show it'd be worth it.

and wow Aqua timez is still around haven't heard anything from them in a while.
Oct 6, 2013 5:09 PM
Aug 2011
Why in the world would they open the season with that scene?
It's like telling someone the punchline before the joke. Derp.

If I choose to ignore that then we have an okay start.
Anyway, this time i'll try to be more laid-back about about this adaptation. A-1 can impose a lot of pain on me and I just don't need that in my life.

Nyan-nyan100 said:
If the manga is a 10/10, it doesn't make this a 6/10 anime just because it didn't follow the original right!

of course it's not a 6/10 silly, it was more like a 4/10

leeo268 said:
IF they adapt this season well, we might not need MLA: Magihood afterall.

lol Magihood
standOct 6, 2013 5:13 PM
Oct 6, 2013 5:12 PM

Nov 2012
mikado34 said:
Unit-01 said:

mayukachan said:

I believe it's official that Sinbad was 14 and Jafar 10, when they meet, so they have been together for more than 15 years. Also, notice it was mentioned Yamuraiha left Magnostadt and joined Sinbad 10 years ago.

I know about the latter but didn't really remember when Ja'far joined Sinbad.
Oct 6, 2013 5:13 PM

Apr 2009
reiko_ said:
Here it is. Magi s2. Too bad they are skipping a lot of material.

maybe i should read the manga then i liked the first magi season but i hate people who skip alot of important stuff

symbv said:
Kind of OK but is it going to stick to the manga this time?

considering they skipped stuff id say a no
Oct 6, 2013 5:58 PM

Oct 2012
really interesting start... that's brat was really pervert... :3

Oct 6, 2013 6:17 PM

May 2013
That opening scene really was captivating but like others have said it really does kill future suspense. Been meaning to read the manga, but i guess i'll start now since there's a good chance they'll have a lot of minor changes.

In any case, still a good start for 2nd season.

Aladdin such a huge perv i swear, i wonder where he gets that from xD
Oct 6, 2013 6:28 PM

Nov 2011
The show is back.

The opening scene really spoil a lot. What were they thinking when they made that?

Aladdin making a move on Dunya. Damn, that midget is lucky.

Sinbad isn't evil, he's just trying to get everything he can for the benefit of Sindra.

Man, I hope they don't skip a certain arc that is quite important before the Magnostadt arc.

Oct 6, 2013 6:59 PM

Jan 2011
iLostReason said:
That was a nice start, but i think i have to rewatch first season since i don't remember details about plot.My bad memory strikes again.
Also, Aqua Timez doing ED.Feels so nostalgic to hear Futoshi's voice again.

Dude I think the reason you feel a little lost is because they have subtly dropped manga material that wasn't animated previously into the first episode. You see what I'm saying? There is prequel to this content that a manga reader would be privy to at this point that the anime only viewer is not because it simply wasn't adapted. That's the feeling I got bc at times I was saying wtf is going on here.

Also you can't be S1 OP so this is a downer. ED too actually. Although Aladdin does looks bad ass his new mage garb.
Oct 6, 2013 8:28 PM

Mar 2013
IronLobster said:
Am I the only manga reader who actually has genuine hope?

You are not alone there my friend. Last season was atrocious for skipping and changing parts from the manga. I may have initial impression based on the 1st season, but in the end I try not to base expectations from previous experiences. Maybe they will do this season better, who knows only when it finishes airing can I make a proper assessment of this season.
SalmonSandwichOct 6, 2013 8:40 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

273 by phantom346 »»
Apr 15, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

176 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2014

142 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

88 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

108 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 7:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.