Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2009 12:51 PM

Mar 2008
Seek advice or anime/manga recommendations here! Simply post, and helpful club members will respond with recommendations that will (hopefully) spruce your day.

Please use this format:
Username:
Request: [short description, eg, something to relax at the end of the day]
Preferred Genres:
Comments/Extra Information: [anything else you might want addressed. If none, just leave this out]

Get watching! (And remember give thanks for good reccs!) ;)
PRESSitSep 25, 2010 5:04 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2009 12:58 PM

Nov 2008
I just made the " recommend me something " thread a few hours ago but this is better so... how do you delete a thread?

Edit:
aoikishuJan 18, 2009 1:08 PM
Jan 18, 2009 1:02 PM

Mar 2008
aoikishu said:
I just made the " recommend me something " thread a few hours ago but this is better so... how do you delete a thread?

ill do it. yeah i made it so tht there wont be tons of 'recommend me something' threads of everyone who wants one :D glad to be of help.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2009 6:10 PM

Dec 2008
I guess I will be the first to go, since I am new to anime.
Username: potatomac911
Looking for: I am looking for some kind of Action, Sci-F,i Mystery, Horror anime. I will try any kind. But I am not too crazy about the slice of life stuff. Or romance. I am more into action.
Favourite Genres: If played out right, Mecha. I like Action, Mystery, Sci-fi and horror. And well..I also love a good plot twist. I like animes that make you think.
Any other comments/information: I will not watch ANY ecchi type of anime. I also don't like it when animes have a ton of blood and gore. I don't like nudity in animes either.

Well, if anybody is nice enough to help me out. I will be very glad!
Thanks!
-Potatomac911

Jan 21, 2009 6:15 PM
Aug 2007
Username: the_seventh_l

Looking for: some good sports-related anime. I know about Major, Prince of Tennis and Whistle; I'm already watching Slam Dunk via Crunchyroll. Something with humor would be preferable.

Favourite Genres: Fantasy/sci-fi, drama, action/adventure, horror, slice-of-life ala Aria

Any other comments/information: Don't rec me any sports that is heavy on romance. Some movies/OVAs would be nice, but don't restrict your recs to just those. Also,some recs of anime w/ sports that aren't very common (i.e. not soccer, football, tennis, baseball or basketball) would be cool.

Thank you! :)
Jan 21, 2009 6:22 PM
Apr 2008
Username: ManU-Alchemist
Looking for: an anime with a great storlyline and suspense
Favourite Genres: Shounen, Supernatural, Psychological ( already seen Death Note)
Jan 21, 2009 6:28 PM

Oct 2008
Username: wesley96
Looking For: Really good anime that make you smile and/or make you shocked with outcomes
Genre: Slice-of-Life, Shounen, Psychological, Comedy
Comments: If you could please look at my list first, just in case you give me one that I've seen or plan to see, and NO HENTAI
Jan 21, 2009 6:53 PM

Nov 2008
@potatomac911;

@the_seventh_l;

@ManU-Alchemist:

@wesley96:

Jan 21, 2009 6:54 PM
Aug 2007
aoikishu said:
@the_seventh_l;

I've actually been meaning to check out this series for a couple years now. Thanks for the rec! :D
Jan 21, 2009 7:08 PM

Oct 2008
@ aoikishu

I've always been wanting to check out School Rumble Thanks! :)
Jan 21, 2009 7:14 PM

Jan 2008
Username: Minamino_K
Looking for: a great storlyline and wonderful character design
Favourite Genres: Fantasy/sci-fi, drama, action/adventure, romance
Any other comments/information: I've beening watching some really old animes 1980-90's . Something about vintage stuff i love. I'm a sucker for romance!! But I dont like Harem's >__< . Sci-fi and intense story line is good as well.
Jan 21, 2009 8:18 PM

Aug 2007
Username: tigerz
Looking for: Unpredictable storyline, the kind that keeps you hooked from episode to episode and makes you think a lot. Examples: Death Note, Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Gantz, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Utawarerumono
Favourite Genres: Supernatural Psychological Mystery Action Horror Drama Romance
Any other comments/information: I prefer dark and twisted stories to light and happy ones. The more adult and realistic the better. I like believable characters and believable situations. That doesn't mean no supernatural things, I just prefer people to die when fatally wounded, the blood to be red not black, realistic romances, nudity is fine if its like in Elfen Lied and Gantz, and the more controversial the better. Regardless, the most important thing is a jaw dropping one of a kind storyline that develops throughout the series. Everything else is just a plus.

Thanks.
tigerzMar 20, 2011 2:09 PM
Jan 21, 2009 8:21 PM

Jul 2008
My recommendation will have to be Kino's Journey for you. It is a smart and psychological anime that will give you the chills. Very addicting.
However, it is a supernatural anime, and there is no continuing storyline throughout (if that matters to you).
Dr_Jan_ItorJan 21, 2009 8:24 PM
Johnny Hunter, Megamurican!!

(Haruhi's Biggest Fan Husband Right Here!)
Jan 21, 2009 8:31 PM

Aug 2007
Dr_Jan_Itor said:
My recommendation will have to be Kino's Journey for you. It is a smart and psychological anime that will give you the chills. Very addicting.
However, it is a supernatural anime, and there is no continuing storyline throughout (if that matters to you).

Thanks for the recommendation. Continuing storyline is actually a really big deal for me since I like plot development. Also prefer dark and twisted story lines which I forgot to mention.

However, I've been meaning to watch Kino's Journey and it's only 13 episodes so I am putting it on my list. Thanks again.
Jan 21, 2009 8:48 PM

Jul 2008
Then I recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion followed by The End of Evangelion Movie. One of the most famous and popular psychological thriller series out there. It has a continious storyline with character development and interesting twists. I recommend the movie because it provides a more gratifying ending than the series does. Then, if you like this series, there are actually a bunch of new movies being released that recap the series along with a lot of new material. If you come to love the series, these are worth watching.
I believe this should fulfill all requirements. : )

Jan 21, 2009 8:55 PM

Sep 2008
Username: Starrlightx3
Looking for: There's quite a few things I've been looking for lately, actually. So this will end up being a list with more than one thing on it (obviously, I'm not looking for all these qualities in a single series. As long as something fits just one of these, then I want to know^^ if it's already on my plan to watch, feel free to give it a bump up in priority) -anything I haven't seen that's good from any of the genres I list -A yaoi/yuri where there's actually real love involved, and the sex isn't all lust induced -Anything about vampires. Especially vampire romances. But just plain vampire stories are fine too. -something that'll really scare the hell out of me and/or mess with my head
Favourite Genres: Shoujo, romance, drama, tragedy, reverse harem, psychological/horror/thriller, action, slice of life
Any other comments/information: I don't mind ecchi as long as there's some other element in the series that appeals to me, but if that's all it is, then I don't want it. I also prefer stuff with good character/relationship development.
Jan 21, 2009 9:00 PM

Oct 2008
here are shoxk's recommendations for the following

Potatomac911
I see that you're already watching the very popular stuff. Since your into mecha try: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann to start off with. Great series even for beginners IMO. I would also like to introduce you to the world of Gundam, so many something more recent and popular so try: Mobile Suit Gundam 00. And finally my highly recommendation: try the Ghost in the Shell series. I hope these satisfy you.

the_seventh_l
I've not a big sports fan so I've not seen many. Heres some sports watches:
Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit - Boxing: From what I hear, this is a highly rated show must see for all.
Ookiku Furikabutte - Baseball
One Outs - Baseball: currently airing, I hear its good.
Eyeshield 21 - American Football: Also good.
Intial DSeries - Street Racing?
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - Martial Arts
Bamboo Blade - Kendo
Air Gear - Skating?
Sorry, that's all I can think of for sports.

ManU-Alchemist
Storyline with suspense? Heres some of my recs
Seirei no Moribito - Great story and beautiful animation.
Baccano! - Very unique storyline and a ton of suspense
Darker than BLACK - Good story and action

wesley96
I highly second School Rumble and heres some of my own recs: Seto no Hanayome, Nagasarete Airantou, and something to make you smile - the Aria series

Minamino_K
Since you've seen a ton anime, its a lil harder for me to suggest something but here goes
Chrono Crusade - Underrated anime that has everything you wanted
RahXephon - Heres your Sci-fi fix
Ga-Rei -Zero- - Try to make it through the first couple of episodes, it has everything you wanted
I would also give honorable mentions to:Aria series and sola

shoxk's note: I love giving recommendations for people and I hope you all enjoy my suggestions, but rarely get feedback so I would really like some kind of feedback of what you thought. This helps me greatly when trying to recommend better. Thanks
tigerzMar 20, 2011 2:11 PM
Jan 21, 2009 9:05 PM

Jul 2008
I recommend:
-Aria the Animation Series
-Honey and Clover 2
-Karin
-Trigun
-Monster
-Azumanga Daoih
-School Rumble Series
-xxxHOLiC Series
-Minami-ke
-Shakugan no Shana Series

I know it looks like a short list, but it is actually around 20 series, and will take you a while to finish. All of them match at least one of your preferred genres, and are all very respected anime.

Jan 21, 2009 9:10 PM

Nov 2008
@Starrlight; I recommend Karin. It's a romance - comedy with vampires.
Jan 21, 2009 9:21 PM

Oct 2008
@Starrlightx3
Its hard to recommend for you, you've seen like every vampire show anyway
try Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - romance, drama, tragedy and try to avoid the OVA unless you want to watch it
then theres slice-of-lifes: Aria series and Minami-ke series you might enjoy
and try Neon Genesis Evangelion
Jan 21, 2009 9:23 PM

Oct 2008
Minamino_K said:
Username: Minamino_K
Looking for: a great storlyline and wonderful character design
Favourite Genres: Fantasy/sci-fi, drama, action/adventure, romance
Any other comments/information: I've beening watching some really old animes 1980-90's . Something about vintage stuff i love. I'm a sucker for romance!! But I dont like Harem's >__< . Sci-fi and intense story line is good as well.

Dammit, was about to recommend you Gankutsuou but then I saw you'd already seen it.
Hmm...you should try Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It aired from 1988 to 1997, and it is in my opinion one of if not the best anime ever (I've only seen 14 episodes though, but still it's that amazing so far). It's sci-fi, drama, some action, and a little bit of romance here and there. Plus it has an incredible storyline. The character designs are also excellent - very realistic, but they suit the show perfectly.

I'd also recommend trying Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. There's no romance in that, but it's an excellent sci-fi with plenty of action. It's more episodic, although there is a background story that runs throughout the whole series. The character designs in this are also more realistic that some, and I personally really like them.

Another one is Planetes. It's a sci-fi with plenty of drama, quite a bit of action, and also romance. Not sure if you'll like the character designs, but it's a great anime nevertheless.

For something fantasy, check out Spice and Wolf. Not much action, but a lot of adventure, romance, some drama, great character designs, and an excellent storyline.
tigerzMar 20, 2011 2:12 PM
Jan 22, 2009 12:06 AM

Oct 2008
Username: An00biz
Looking for: A good harem series with an ending which is not predictable after seeing the first 2 or 3 episodes (like Shuffle! for instance)
Favourite Genres: comedy, slice-of-life, love-romance, harem
Any other comments/information: please no visual key/KyoAni anime ... I can't see them anymore
Jan 22, 2009 12:33 AM

Sep 2008
Username: j0kk23

Looking for: Anything really but it has to have decent animation and good storyline (animation that is similar in style to the anime i have watched.)

Favourite Genres: Comedy, Action, Ecchi, Romance, Drama, Slice 'o life

Any other comments/information:
Anything not on my list is fine.
Jan 22, 2009 2:06 AM

Jan 2009
Username: reggietard
Looking for: something like zero no tsukaima, tower of druaga, shakugan no shana, or tales of the abyss for example.
Favourite Genres: action/adventure/romance/comedy

its kinda sad finishing completed series
or getting caught up with airing ones
and not have anything just as good to watch :[
Jan 22, 2009 2:36 AM

Oct 2008
for j0kk23 I'd recommend Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - it's drama, romance and slice of life with a calm theme - I was positively surprised while watching it because I normally don't really like anime with a "sad setting"

and reggietard might like "Sumomomo Momomo: Chijou Saikyou no Yome" a martial arts romantic comedy with very weird characters.
Jan 22, 2009 4:33 AM

Nov 2008
@An00biz; wow, you haven't seen Da Capo. One of the best harems I've seen ( I don't like harems that much ). Unpredictable, magic, romance, comedy, harem, and good characters.
Jan 22, 2009 4:44 AM

Oct 2008
thanks ... I think that one is what I am looking for ^^
Jan 22, 2009 5:00 AM

Nov 2007
@ An00biz

Seto no Hanayome is what you're looking for. Da Crapo is extremely predictable, whilst Seto isn't a stereotypical harem.

Also, you can try Inukami!, which isn't really a harem show, it's just that the lead character wants it to be one :)

You can also try:

Myself;Yourself
Maburaho
True Tears
To Heart
Fruits Basket
Ouran High School Host Club

@ reggietard

Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Symphonia
Seirei no Moribito
Claymore
Chrno Crusade
Rozen Maiden

@ jokk23

One word....

GINTAMA
ArchaeonJan 22, 2009 5:30 AM
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Jan 22, 2009 5:09 AM

Oct 2008
hmm... To Heart and Fruits Basket I have allready watched .... maybe I forgot them on my list
edit: List updated ... I think I'll try Seto no Hanayome ... thanks for the recommendation
An00bizJan 22, 2009 5:43 AM
Jan 22, 2009 8:48 AM

Dec 2008
aoikishu- Thanks. That anime sounds kind of interesting. I will check it out.
shoxk- Not sure how I will like Tengen Toppa. But I will try it.
And Do you have to watch the other gundam series before watching that one?
I might try Ghost in a shell. There is alot to catch up on though.

-Thanks!
Jan 22, 2009 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
thnx for the suggestions i think i'll try those out
Jan 22, 2009 12:07 PM

May 2008
Username: Jaredwcooper
Looking for: Preferably something short, in the 12-13 range, but a 'regular' 24-26 episode series is alright as well. I'm looking for some nice fantasy, maybe a touch of romance but mainly I'm looking for good writing and character, some action and adventure would be nice as well, but plot, drama, character are the main things I'm looking for.
Favourite Genres: Fantasy, Psychological, Drama, Action (realistic action); but I'll give anything a shot. I don't like Mecha, but as long as there are superior redeeming factors I can put that aside (such as Eureka Seven).

I'll update my List now as to avoid getting recommended something I've seen; thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Jan 22, 2009 12:59 PM

Nov 2007
@ Jaredwcooper

Some short series you could try:

Baccano!
Tower of Druaga - The Aegis of Uruk
World Destruction
Zero no Tsukaima (only the first season though as the next two seasons were progressively diabolical)
Night Wizard
Rozen Maiden

And a couple of longer series:

Seirei no Moribito
Simoun
Mai-Hime
Inukami! (the comedy writing is excellent)
Last Exile
Bokurano

And since you don't like mecha, may I suggest Top wo Nerae!. At 6 episodes it's worth watching, and is far, far better than NGE.
Jan 22, 2009 1:00 PM
Jan 2009
Username: Involuntary
Looking for: The funniest anime you know of.
Favourite Genres: Comedy, Romance, Action.
Any other comments/information: I loved Cromartie High School & Detroit Metal City
Jan 22, 2009 1:02 PM

Nov 2007
@ Involuntary

Gintama
Seto no Hanayome
Dragon Half
Inukami!
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan
Yoshinaga-san'chi no Gargoyle

Let me know if you need more :)
Jan 22, 2009 1:11 PM
Jan 2009
Archaeon: Thank you, I'll be sure to tell you once I'm done with those. ;D
Jan 22, 2009 1:12 PM

Oct 2008
@ everyone who recommended me anime

Thank you for all of your recs! I will have some fun enjoying these anime series ^_^
Jan 22, 2009 2:01 PM

May 2008
Thanks a bunch, Archaeon. I'll try to watch the first six you mentioned at the very least. Good thing too; I've never even heard of most of those, save for Tower of Druaga and Seirei no Moribito. Really appreciate it.
Jan 22, 2009 2:31 PM

Oct 2008
and once again a request from me:

Username: An00biz
Looking for: an anime with an outstanding tsunderekko (like Louise, Shana or Taiga)
Favourite Genres: comedy, slice-of-life, love-romance, harem
Any other comments/information: any genre is fine as far as I haven't allready watched the anime :-P
Jan 22, 2009 4:34 PM

Nov 2007
@ An00biz

You could try these then

Prism Ark
Tsukuyomi -MOON PHASE-
Inukami!
Mahou Sensei Negima
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
Slayers
Rozen Maiden
Kamisama Kazoku
Jan 22, 2009 9:38 PM

Aug 2007
Thanks for the recommendations Dr Jan Itor, Aoikishu, Shoxk, and BigSimo. I will queue them up and give you feedback when I finish them. Thanks again, very helpful.
Jan 22, 2009 11:07 PM

Sep 2008
@ Archaeon

i'm already watching Gintama. Thanks but anything else.
Jan 23, 2009 3:21 AM

Nov 2007
@ Jokk23

Dragon Half
Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho
Jan 23, 2009 9:05 AM

Sep 2007
Archaeon said:
@ Jokk23

Dragon Half

Guu
SSAA Podcast<-A show about things involving stuff, mainly about anime, dramas and whatever comes to mind.

Follow me on Twitter

Jan 23, 2009 10:51 AM

Nov 2007
@ doctor

It was Guu's laugh that sent me over the edge. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or be scared...

That, and her Godzilla moments :)
Jan 23, 2009 10:55 AM

Sep 2007
@ Archaeon

God yes. For me, it was Hale getting drunk in Deluxe that broke me.
SSAA Podcast<-A show about things involving stuff, mainly about anime, dramas and whatever comes to mind.

Follow me on Twitter

Jan 23, 2009 11:23 AM

Dec 2008
Username: Reminiscence
Looking for: I'm looking for some kind of black comedy in the same vein as shows like Welcome to the NHK and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Any kind of off-beat sort of comedy would be great. I really have trouble finding shows that are funny to me.
Favourite Genres: Psychological, comedy, slice-of-life, action.
Any other comments/information: I hated Azumanga, Lucky Star and School Rumble fyi. And I'm already watching Gintama.
Jan 23, 2009 11:47 AM

Sep 2007
Reminiscence said:
Username: Reminiscence
Looking for: I'm looking for some kind of black comedy in the same vein as shows like Welcome to the NHK and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Any kind of off-beat sort of comedy would be great. I really have trouble finding shows that are funny to me.
Favourite Genres: Psychological, comedy, slice-of-life, action.
Any other comments/information: I hated Azumanga, Lucky Star and School Rumble fyi. And I'm already watching Gintama.

Majokko Tsukune-chan was this small show that fits this off-beat kind of comedy you might be looking for. It's cute, but evil in this weird way. I have a weird sense of humor.

Follow me on Twitter

Jan 23, 2009 12:48 PM

Nov 2007
@ Reminiscence

Give these a try:

Genshiken
Moyashimon

and for general off-the-wallness:

Jan 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Dec 2008
Thanks for the recs guys :D
Genshiken looks right up my alley and I'm intrigued by Guu so those two are definitely going on my list. I'll also probably check out Majokko Tsukune-chan.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Guys check my oil painting of Kimi no Na wa, Tenki no Ko, and Suzume no Tojimari.

mufarari - Jan 20

0 by mufarari »»
Jan 20, 5:14 AM

Sticky: » [ ★ ] Staff Recruitment

Timrots - Sep 25, 2018

1 by removed-user »»
Aug 26, 2021 2:05 AM

Sticky: » [HTWA] Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 4 )

tigerz - Feb 5, 2009

190 by removed-user »»
Aug 26, 2021 2:01 AM

» What Counts as Anime? ( 1 2 )

kittenz73 - Jan 9, 2009

60 by mdo7 »»
Dec 11, 2020 1:49 PM

» Anyone know were i can watch Glass no Kamen (2005)

Max_Hawkins - Aug 25, 2020

0 by Max_Hawkins »»
Aug 25, 2020 7:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.