Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2009 9:42 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I have to say that this certainly surprised me, I like this title so far.

The story was a bit slow paced, but I think it went pretty good in the end. Though I wish the main bartender's voice would have been more deep to fit the calm mood, but he was young after all. Very unique series!

Thoughts, opinions?
Aug 16, 2009 5:25 PM

Jun 2009
FINALLY(is what you must be thinking), someone responded after over half a year. I agree with what you said, it is rather unique, surprising, and slow-moving. it didn't really show what to expect in the next episode, so i wonder what will happen from here on. My two guesses are either it continues with the one guy and he tries to convince him to work for him, or every episode deals with new people and the effects of the bar on different people(I'm leaning towards the latter).
Sep 15, 2009 9:23 AM

Jun 2008
iday12 said:
FINALLY(is what you must be thinking), someone responded after over half a year. I agree with what you said, it is rather unique, surprising, and slow-moving. it didn't really show what to expect in the next episode, so i wonder what will happen from here on. My two guesses are either it continues with the one guy and he tries to convince him to work for him, or every episode deals with new people and the effects of the bar on different people(I'm leaning towards the latter).

I am definitely thinking that it deals with the effects of a new character and Eden Hall with each episode. Also, wasn't that damn gorgeous? I mean it was beautiful. Damn. I was impressed.

RtheO
Sep 29, 2009 11:16 AM
Jul 2009
I was skipping the channels on TV, when I stumbled upon this one on a friggin cooking channel. Since there was nothing better on I've decided to watch it ,and I was amazed. Seriously I usually hate that kind of boring crap drama series, but after a couple of heavier shows, and all day of final High School year with tons of studying from subjects like Biology Chemistry and Physics that was the bit of chillout i needed. Loved it ,cant wait to see how the story develops.
DuerthSep 29, 2009 11:22 AM
Oct 31, 2009 7:06 AM

Jun 2008
Umm... I'm not sure.
It's really slow, the main character is not that appealing, and the animation is terrible.
Even if I hate alcohol, drinks, and stuff, I'm open-minded enough for giving it a try, because it's short and it seemed a rather unique anime, but I don't like it so far. Maybe my grandfather would enjoy it more than I do, since he's an ex-barman.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Dec 10, 2009 2:54 PM

Apr 2008
RenaPsychoKiller said:
Umm... I'm not sure.
It's really slow, the main character is not that appealing, and the animation is terrible.
Even if I hate alcohol, drinks, and stuff, I'm open-minded enough for giving it a try, because it's short and it seemed a rather unique anime, but I don't like it so far. Maybe my grandfather would enjoy it more than I do, since he's an ex-barman.

Same here. I didn't like it because of the designs most of all. The animation was crappy, as it were made in the US, for children. The theatrical feel it had was a little stupid, intensifying at the peak of the guy's story with bars. I'll watch two more episodes, and I'll pray it won't show -more- silly female characters, as Ristorante Paradiso did.
// Hearts are wasted, lives are broken.
Dec 12, 2009 11:20 AM

Jan 2008
This is exactly the kind of show I've been craving.
Perfect for a night like this.
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )
Oct 26, 2010 3:55 PM

Jul 2008
Really clever show, very interesting.
Jun 6, 2011 1:25 PM

Jun 2009
I really enjoyed this first episode, it kind of reminded me of Aria in that it was relaxing and I like the message.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 23, 2011 6:07 PM
Jul 2011
Loved it.

I felt really relaxed while watching :)
great for watching before going to bed
Oct 14, 2011 8:39 PM

Sep 2009
I just kept thinking that he better have a better reason
for hating bars than just teh door -_-

I like the mood in the sort of anime
but then some parts make me roll my eyes.
Nov 14, 2011 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
I really liked this. The animation was a little conspicuous at times, but other than that, everything about this anime just exuded class to me. The music, the characters, and the relaxed, laid-back environment suitable to the theme. I get the feeling that this isn't an anime to rush through just to add to the list. I think I'll take my time here.

Oh, I have to question the open product placement though. It was fun to recognize the brands.
Dec 28, 2011 11:19 PM
Jul 2010
Wow. This was awesome. so relaxing. nice way to end a day.
Feb 4, 2012 11:43 PM

Dec 2009
I heard of this one trough a recommendation. I was looking for a slow-paced anime and this certainly looks like it's gonna do the job d: very nice to watch at night
Jul 17, 2012 7:22 AM

Oct 2011
this show is like a good old whiskey&ice - warm, but still chilly. loved the 1st episode but will wait untill the right mood to watch the next one
pro-activity in checking that everything is OK
Nov 25, 2012 8:31 PM
Nov 2012
I liked the slow pace & relaxing and tender songs. Those who enjoyed Natsume Yujincho might this anime as well.
Mar 4, 2013 6:25 PM
Aug 2011
Just finished Ristorante Paradiso and I picked this up because it seemed similar.
First episode but I quite like it!
May 20, 2013 5:57 PM

Jan 2013
What an interesting and very specific concept.
I liked this first episode.
This will satisfy the market for anime focusing on bartenders.
Oct 1, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2011
Those are some fine names for wine tbh.

This first episode has this unique sense of style so far. I'm not exactly sure what it is but I like it. The OST matches the tone too.

"Bar" + "Tender". Loved that combination. I never thought it that way. Gentleness is born~
Jan 1, 2014 5:03 PM

Aug 2013
Wow. It was perfect! Really imaginative anime, unique, relaxing and just gives a really nice feeling after watching it :)

The animation and OST fit the mood well.

Love the OP and ED, especially the visuals in the ED :)

If it carries on like this I'll end up giving it a 10 and I wasn't even expecting that much from it!
Jun 6, 2014 7:35 AM

May 2012
Well this surely was surprisingly good! The pacing is a bit slow but the setting and the concept is pretty lovely! Let's see what the rest has to offer us though!
Dec 17, 2014 12:17 PM

Mar 2011
Wow, this is such a unique series. I'm really interested to see some more stories.
Jan 21, 2015 2:35 AM

Dec 2013
Whoa this is awesome, makes me so thirsty. Very peaceful show.
Oct 4, 2015 9:25 AM

Apr 2009
Kinda reminds me of ARIA, Honey and Clover. SO relaxing after a stressful day of work. :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2015 1:06 PM
May 2015
An interesting start to an unusual anime.

For the most part, it was okay. The hotel redesigner Kamishima feels a bar is just an elite place for drinking, but Ryu is able to show him that at a bar all sorts of people can socialize and relieve stress.

I found it predictable that Kamishama didn't like bars because he was rejected at one, that angle probably could have been done away with. But still, it was a fairly good and simple story.

The mizuwari was an unusual drink for a first episode, but I guess it stands out as a reliever of stress and a way to show that a bartender cares for his clients.
Haneken2086Nov 28, 2015 2:31 PM
Mar 16, 2016 2:02 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
While it was a slow episode, it also felt like it went by really fast. I can't remember if the manga was like this too though, with the fourth wall thing, but it wasn't bad after I got used to it half way through.

I like the way Ryuu explained about the heavy bar doors and the way it's hidden; it's not that the bar selects the people, but the people who stumble upon them when they need it. It also shows how something can be interpreted very differently depending on the person. I agree with Stark too that the bar + tender thing was nice. I'm glad Kamishima learned to appreciate bars now. While his reason for disliking bars was irrational, it's also understandable as people tend to avoid things they've had bad experience with. Although part of the reason for his bad experience is his wrong expectations of a bar and him feeling too self-conscious.

Ryuu gave him such a simple drink, one that Kamishima's had a lot it seems, but it was him who changed. Makes sense, given that even food tastes different depending on your current state and/or the situation.

Really enjoyed the relaxing and mellow atmosphere. While the animation and visuals are on the lower side of the spectrum, it didn't deter my enjoyment as the content was delivered well.
Apr 7, 2016 9:11 AM

Mar 2013
This has some Death Parade vibes so far. Also, making the bar and its bartender appear so soothing and amazing reminds me of all those sports anime in which they also claim that sport x is the best.
It is quite intriguing though.
May 13, 2016 2:27 AM
Apr 2014
This seems to be a rather nice anime to relax to. I enjoy it so far.
May 16, 2016 8:00 AM

Jan 2014
Relaxing atmosphere..good stuff.
Jan 25, 2017 11:54 AM

Feb 2013
A really bad start, I didn't like anything about it.
Mar 9, 2017 8:58 AM

May 2013
Hm. Not a bad start. Saw this as a recommendation for people who loved Death Parade and surprisingly, it's not gory or high level thinking ;O I still enjoyed it, although it wasn't what I expected which was a spin-off of Death Parade.

Let's see how this picks up.

The animation is also olden day quality. I don't mind it, but seems like a few others do lol
Oct 25, 2017 7:45 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, it was a fine and relaxing start.
Art/animation was average as fuck tho (even for its time) but for something like that, it's alright. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enjoyed the OP song a lot too.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 21, 2018 11:45 PM

Sep 2013
Perhaps the time whenI was 7 that my mom dragged me to a department store for several hours so that she could shop for a new dress.

Hmm...

Or maybe the time I had to go to my cousin's wedding and the ceremony took nearly two hours.

Hmm...

No, I don't think either of those events were quite as boring as this episode.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 11, 2018 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Nice story, nice characters, great music, lots of potential, terrible narration style choices though. The narration style felt completely out of place and all over the place; almost as if the author was simply giving it a try at playing around with narrative structure. This was not in tone with the rest of the episode.
Apart from that, this has some great potential since it has a promising eye for its characters and some really nice sounds in the soundtrack; it reminded me immediately of a Debussy piece I literally listened to today.
Oct 16, 2018 10:51 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Interesting premise for sure. Not someone who even drinks liquor or has a fondness for it at all but the character of making a "perfect drink" and the story for it was all quite good. Really liked the transitions not very typical of most animes. It is a bit dated 12 years later but I can see me enjoying it.
Nov 27, 2018 12:44 PM

Nov 2016
Very good start, that's what I'm looking for when it comes to adult slice of life.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 30, 2019 6:33 PM

Mar 2018
So I'm a huge fan of Death Parade, and somebody told me that if I liked it, I'd definitely like this show. However, I'm not so sure about that. Judging from this episode, this show seems to focus on liquor more than on an actual story. I feel like the plot for the first episode was poor. I really don't care about bars, liquor or anything that has to do with alcohol. I was hoping the focus would be on an actual intriguing story rather than on all of that. I'm not sure if this changes later on, but if it doesn't, then this show isn't for me.
Nov 5, 2019 11:40 AM

Apr 2017
The plot (what little of it there was) was spread out a bit thin, and the woman didn't really play any important part except...stating the obvious? Still not sure what her role was in this or whether I want to see her appear again unless she does something of consequence. There wasn't much animation to speak of either, and the panning shots kept annoying me; it's lazy when a show relies on those to pad out the running time, and that, coupled with the very dated-looking CGI, makes me think this show barely had any budget at all.

Oh well, will watch 1-2 more episodes and see if this picks up, but so far it has nothing in common with Death Parade in terms of mood, pacing, animation, sound etc., only part of the premise.

Edit: I did like the OP, ED and BGM, they were relaxing.
Apr 28, 2020 12:47 PM

Dec 2016
weird pov and mediocre animation, but pretty good sound wise. feels like a series with potential.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jul 13, 2020 1:18 PM

Jul 2008
So is this place like the xxxholic house and it's a supernatural bar?

The door to Eden Hall doesn't look normal at all.
Sep 23, 2020 11:16 AM

Feb 2014
So much tedious exposition with characters literally staring into the camera and babbling monologues at you, often to spoon feed redundant information, while standing around in set pieces like this is some kind of a hacky high school stage play, complete with a spotlight shining on them when they start speaking. And this is supposed to be a seinen? Why is it so hard for anime to "show" instead of "tell"?
Jan 9, 2021 11:42 PM
Oct 2019
A pleasant surprise, I really like the vibe/atmosphere this show is able to create. Kinda confused on how the Bartender knows exactly what happened with the man but besides that, this was a phenomenal first episode!
May 31, 2021 3:02 PM

Jan 2021
I actually kinda love this show. It’s unique. At first I didn’t expect much.
Aug 1, 2021 4:13 PM

Jul 2015
Well Kamishima's reason for hating bars is kinda dumb as it was his own fault tbh.
So far this series got my interest with its unusual theatrical style (fourth wall breaks) where the story just radiates class and Ryu appears to be quite the genius bartender.
Definitely reminds me of the newer anime Death Parade in a more realistic setting.

Oct 7, 2021 4:19 PM

Jul 2019
Watched this at my local anime society meet up, must say, that was quite something.

I liked how this rolls with this elegant atmosphere to the Eden Hall, having such pleasant gentlemen take your order and serve you with optimal efficiency is nothing short of a splendid presentation, and the music really compliments that well.

Seems like it is heading a classy route in an episodic nature. Not exactly the best format in my eyes, but pretty damn good too.

This specific episode had an interesting customer to tell the story of such too. Good thing he changed his attitude to bars tho.

Also, the animation here kinda seems a little dry ngl. But good enough.
Mar 28, 2022 5:42 PM

Jul 2021
There's something off about the first episode in terms of the premise itself so going to turn off my brain for this as I'm hoping it doesn't get repetitive with the perspective and goddamn the animation is mediocre at best.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 15, 2022 12:24 PM

May 2017
Interesting show. I've actually been a bartender, so it's funny seeing it shown in this kind of light. The cocktails that I mixed were rather simple summer drinks for the local taste of Canadians on the West Coast 😆 lots of Caesars made with clamato (clam juice and tomato juice) mixed with vodka, salt and pepper, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce, and then throw in olives or a pickle. It's some sort of godawful Canadian concoction, a play off of the American Bloody Mary drink. Honestly, I bought the ingredients to make it home 😂

I'm excited to see the other stories featured here. I was lucky enough to work behind a beautiful wooden bar top, this episode made me miss that amazing plank of wood.
Oct 21, 2022 9:01 AM
Aug 2016
I've had merlots less dry then this.
Nov 2, 2022 11:40 PM
Nov 2022
Honestly, I immediately really vibed with this show. It's not the most subtle or nuanced take on its genre, but it captures its subject matter well. There's almost a play-like theatrical quality to it, bouncing from character to character with soliloquies scattered throughout as connective tissue.

This looks like it's going to be a show that knows its niche and doesn't try to be something it's not, and I have to respect that.
Feb 26, 2023 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Just the anime I needed to unwind with. First episode of Bartender has a relaxing and considerate atmosphere. Mixology used to be a study passion of mine, it's rare to find this type of anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

59 by Ashhk »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Bartender Episode 10 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

36 by Ashhk »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Bartender Episode 9 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

33 by Ashhk »»
Today, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Bartender Episode 8 Discussion

kadian1366 - Jul 7, 2009

32 by Ashhk »»
Today, 2:48 AM

» Live action/anime

Tristax - Nov 17, 2014

2 by patkarunungan »»
Today, 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.