Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 2013 7:45 AM

Jun 2009
Since there is a thread in this club for Literature, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to make one for movies as well. Basically, what is some of your favorite films and what are some of your least favorite films? What are some movies you'd recommend to other members of this club?

I know it's a pretty generic choice at this point, but my favorite film is probably The Godfather. It's a superbly acted movie, with some of my favorite actors like Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro (Part II). Some very iconic scenes, such as the restaurant shoot out and the line "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse". But, more than anything The Godfather is an excellent story of family and a good man's descent into darkness. I would talk about the third film, but it's honestly been ages since I saw it so I can't speak for or against it.

Other films I like are:

Taxi Driver
Blade Runner (Director's Cut/Final Cut)
Yojimbo
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Barton Fink
Dr. Strangelove
Silence of the Lambs
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Big Lebowski
Schindler's List
Twelve Angry Men
Unforgiven
To Kill A Mockingbird
Beauty and the Beast
Pulp Fiction

There are probably more but for brevity's sake I'll stop there. Sadly, I haven't broaden my horizons into very many non-American films, with the only foreign made films on the list mainstream ones like the Dollar's trilogy and Yojimbo.

Also, I did not include any of my favorite anime films because of the obvious reason that Anime is talked about extensively in this club anyway, so I wanted to exclude it here. Otherwise, you can bet End of Evangelion would be on the list. Then again, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get a perspective of what the members of this club think of anime films in relation to live action films.
Ston3_FreeN7May 22, 2013 8:02 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 22, 2013 8:00 AM

Oct 2012
Finally, thanks for creating this thread insan3! ^^

As far as my favorites go:
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 1 & 2
Malcolm X
Back to the Future Part II
The Last Samurai
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
Kick Ass
War Games
Book of Eli
12 Angry Men
Scot Pilgrim vs the World
Capitalism: A Love Story (can a documentary count?)
Matrix Trilogy
Groundhog Day
Deju Vu
Duel

Those are the ones off the top of my head and may add more depending on other responses that'll make me go, "OH! Totally forgot about that one"
That movie "Duel" I found to be the most unique for its simplistic storytelling that's very effective at the same time. Really encourage anyone to give it a try.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 22, 2013 8:06 AM

Jun 2009
Tavor said:

That movie "Duel" I found to be the most unique for its simplistic storytelling that's very effective at the same time. Really encourage anyone to give it a try.

Yeah, the Dennis Weaver film where he's being chased by the Truck? I remember really liking it, but it's a film I saw as a kid so I don't remember a whole lot.

Here is all the movies I've seen, well the ones I could remember:http://www.criticker.com/profile
Ston3_FreeN7May 22, 2013 8:16 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 22, 2013 8:13 AM

Oct 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Yeah, the Dennis Weaver film where he's being chased by the Truck? I remember really liking it, but it's a film I saw as a kid so I don't remember a whole lot.

Here is all the movies I've seen, well the ones I could remember: http://www.criticker.com/?fl&view=prs&filter=&page=1

Yep, that's the one! I haven't seen it in awhile myself, but I also found it to be intriguing for being minimalistic and yet...it was a great ride indeed~

Hm, that link seems to be the wrong one? Thanks for that website however, I'll start listing my watched films there!

May 22, 2013 8:18 AM

Jun 2009
Tavor said:
insan3soldiern said:

Here is all the movies I've seen, well the ones I could remember: http://www.criticker.com/?fl&view=prs&filter=&page=1

Yep, that's the one! I haven't seen it in awhile myself, but I also found it to be intriguing for being minimalistic and yet...it was a great ride indeed~

Hm, that link seems to be the wrong one? Thanks for that website however, I'll start listing my watched films there!

Ah, I think I linked to my personal user thing or something. I changed the link, so hopefully it works. If it doesn't I'm under Insan3. It's a pretty good site, there isn't much for discussion though, but the ability to do mini-reviews makes me prefer it over IMDB.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 22, 2013 8:27 AM

Dec 2012
Oh wow seems like forever since the last time I watched a movie I think I mainly stopped because I got into anime, that and the movies on the box office keep getting shittier and shittier.

From the top of my head:
- The Dark knight (R.I.P Heath)
- The Hangover ( Zack and Ken are the best )
- Scoot Pilgrim vs the world
- No Country for Old Men
- Good Will Hunting
- Million Dollar Baby
- Se7en
- Inception
- The social network
- The Shawshank Redemption
- The bucket list
- X men : First class
tsudecimoMay 22, 2013 8:31 AM
May 22, 2013 8:27 AM

Oct 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Ah, I think I linked to my personal user thing or something. I changed the link, so hopefully it works. If it doesn't I'm under Insan3. It's a pretty good site, there isn't much for discussion though, but the ability to do mini-reviews makes me prefer it over IMDB.

Does indeed seem rather useful.
Weirdly it doesn't automatically include your profile name in the link (does this for me as well). Found you however: http://www.criticker.com/profile/Insan3/

May 22, 2013 8:35 AM

Sep 2012
My favorite movies are as follows:

Spirited Away
The Shining
WALL-E
Pulp Fiction
Cloud Atlas
No Country for Old Men
Pan's Labyrinth
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Taxi Driver
The Big Lebowski
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
In Bruges
Moon
GoodFellas
Children of Men
Boogie Nights
Blazing Saddles
2001: A Space Odyssey
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Dr. Strangelove
Seven Samurai

Moon is the one I saw most recently. It's kind of like 2001: A Space Odyssey, since it only has 3 characters, one of whom is a computer. 2 of them are played by the same actor.

Dark City immediately made me think of two movies when I saw it: Inception and Matrix Revolution. I guess it's sort of a precursor to both those movies.
PopkaMar 14, 2014 8:54 AM
May 22, 2013 8:47 AM

Oct 2012
I've made it a point to watch most of the movies on IMDb's top 250 list. I'm not anywhere close to done yet, but this is the best I've got.

Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Clockwork Orange
Goodfellas
The Godfather
The Matrix
Se7en
The Big Lebowski
Casablanca
La Vita E Bella
The Great Dictator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Oldboy
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Blade Runner
V for Vendetta
Apocalypse Now

For pure subjective love, Scott Pilgrim vs The World is a movie I've watched 32 times. The comic has a better story, but the movie is just so goddamn funny. I also love Cloud Atlas (even though the book has much more substance).

I plan to watch both Donnie Darko and Requiem for a Dream tomorrow so I might add them too.
Ducat_RevelMay 22, 2013 8:51 AM
May 22, 2013 9:05 AM
Nov 2009
All Time Favorite: The Godfather I-II
Recent Favorites: Silver Linings Playbook, Tree of Life
Obviously: (Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, On the Waterfront Apocalypse Now yada yada...)
More Obscure Favorites:
Army of Shadows
Vivre sa Vie
The Network
Hotel Rwanda
Departures
Farewell My Concubine
The Maltese Falcon
All About Eve
The Conversation
Eternal Sunshine
Amores Perros
Magnolia
The Lives of Others
Oldboy
Memento
No Country for Old Men
The Twilight Samurai
Any Kurasawa Film
Persona
Touch of Evil
City of God
Lost in Translation
Volver
Any Sergio Leone Film
so on and so on
May 22, 2013 9:56 AM

Apr 2012
My top 10 favorite movies are these:

*10 Wall-e
*09 Toy Story 3
*08 Eyes Wide Shut
*07 2001: A Space Odyssey
*06 Spirited Away
*05 Watchmen
*04 The Dark Knight
*03 Back To the Future Trilogy
*02 Lord of the Rings Trilogy
*01 A Clockwork Orange

Other favorites of mine are, without any order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, District 9, Sweeney Todd, Reservoir Dogs, The Wolf Children, Scott Pilgrim VS the World, Grave of the Fireflies, Fight Club, The Shawshank Redemption, Cloud Atlas, The Secret of N.I.H.M, Blade Runner (Director's Cut), The Star Wars Original Trilogy, The Great Dictator, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Shining, Fantasia, The Social Network, Spartacus and Spider Man 2

Please keep in mind I haven't seen The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, Oldboy, any Kurosawa film and many other films considered "One of the Best of All Time"
May 22, 2013 10:06 AM

Jan 2008
Yeey, movie thread! :3

Personal holy trinity:
- Clockwork Orange (God-tier without a question),
- Jacob's Ladder,
- Requiem for a Dream (DAT MUSIC and dat everything else).

Honorable mentions:
- Bruce Almighty (One of the most entertaining movies ever created.)
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,
JunchiMay 22, 2013 10:26 AM
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
May 22, 2013 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm...favorite movies:

The Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Mulholland Drive
Stalker
The Rules of the Game
Ikiru
A City of Sadness
Late Spring
Gone With the Wind
My Darling Clementine
Raging Bull
Au Hasard Balthazar
Sunrise
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Godfather Pt. II
Last Year at Marienbad
Yi Yi: A One and a Two

removed-userMay 22, 2013 10:15 AM
May 22, 2013 11:11 AM

Apr 2012
Favorite Movies

Favorite Bad Movies
May 22, 2013 11:38 AM

Feb 2005
In a somewhat correct order;

Pulp Fiction
Stalingrad
Life of Brian
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
A Bridge Too Far
Goodfellas
Fight Club
Shaun of the Dead
Burn After Reading
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Moon
Inception
Hot Fuzz
Scarface
Requiem for a Dream
Eraserhead
May 22, 2013 11:44 AM

Nov 2011
In terms of X-men: First Class

I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first two X-men movies, namely because it didn't feel like a comic book. It felt like a typical pretentious Hollywood movie and I know that's EXACTLY the reason it got such high praise from critics.

Also, lack of Ian McKellen made me sad.

My personal favorite movie, however, is Stardust. andguesswhothenarratorwasomigawd.
May 22, 2013 12:02 PM

Jun 2011
My list of favourites in an approximately accurate order.

1. Hard Candy (2005)
2. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
4. The Prestige (2006)
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
6. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog (2008)
7. The Princess Bride (1987)
8. The Truman Show (1998)
9. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
10. Groundhog Day (1993)
11. Rear Window (1954)
12. Toy Story Trilogy (1995-2010)
13. 12 Angry Men (1957)
14. It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010)
15. The Professional (1994)
16. The Illusionist (2010)
17. Swing Time (1936)
18. Inception (2010)
19. Balto (1995)
20. The Time Machine (1960)

Favourite Actors Including: Ellen Page, Fred Astaire, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Nicholson, Bill Murray, Jennifer Connelly, Joseph-Gordon Levitt, Jason Batemen, Christian Bale, John Hamm, Kathy Bates.

Favourite Directors Including: Alfred Hitchcock, Darren Aronofsky, Christopher Nolan.

Favourite Composers Including: Clint Mansell, Hans Zimmer.
May 22, 2013 12:24 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:

My personal favorite movie, however, is Stardust. andguesswhothenarratorwasomigawd.

Amber, you might want to stay away from my favorite bad movies list. There's no telling what other movies you might find in there.

Just yo set the record straight though before you do it anyways. These are not necessarily the worst movies out there, but just the ones on the lower end of the spectrum that I get the most enjoyment out of watching.
May 22, 2013 12:27 PM

Nov 2011
I'm honestly trying to figure out WHY it's on there, especially considering it's company. I honestly thought Stardust was really great and I've watched it several times. My parents loved it too as do most of my friends. =/
May 22, 2013 12:30 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
I'm honestly trying to figure out WHY it's on there, especially considering it's company. I honestly thought Stardust was really great and I've watched it several times. My parents loved it too as do most of my friends. =/

Like I said, its not that they're horrible. I mean Starduct is not that bad of a movie, but its just an easy target. When my friends and I first saw it in theaters we were the only ones there and we had full freedom to make as many jokes as we wanted, and we ripped it apart, and it was one of the best movie theater experiences I've ever had.
May 22, 2013 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
DrunkenBlowfish said:
Amberleh said:

Like I said, its not that they're horrible. I mean Starduct is not that bad of a movie, but its just an easy target. When my friends and I first saw it in theaters we were the only ones there and we had full freedom to make as many jokes as we wanted, and we ripped it apart, and it was one of the best movie theater experiences I've ever had.

I think what maybe throws people off is that the movie doesn't entirely take itself seriously, which is one of the reasons I love it. Like, bad stuff happens, but it still feels light and silly throughout. It also had such a great cast.

But to each their own =)
May 22, 2013 12:43 PM

Apr 2011
Guess I'll join in. Top ten, in alphabetical order:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)
- 8½ (Federico Fellini)
- Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville)
- Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov)
- Mulholland Drive (David Lynch)
- Pierrot le Fou (Jean Luc Godard)
- Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky)
- Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)
- The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers)
- The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola)

I guess the top for me would be Mulholland and Synecdoche. Other stuff that I can't quite fit or need a rewatch would be: Persona, Brazil, M, Pulp Fiction, Rules of the Game, Amour, Fight Club, Eternal Sunshine, Chungking Express
opernliedMay 22, 2013 12:46 PM
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
May 22, 2013 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:

I think what maybe throws people off is that the movie doesn't entirely take itself seriously, which is one of the reasons I love it. Like, bad stuff happens, but it still feels light and silly throughout. It also had such a great cast.

But to each their own =)

Yeah, and ya know we may not like it for the same reasons, but if you throw it on I will sit down and thoroughly enjoy myself, and that's all that matters.
...that and watching bad movies for the sake of enlightenment, like Super Baby Geniuses 2. There is no enjoyment there, just pain and suffering.
LittleCaesarsMay 22, 2013 12:56 PM
May 22, 2013 12:58 PM

Dec 2012
Amberleh said:
In terms of X-men: First Class

I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first two X-men movies, namely because it didn't feel like a comic book. It felt like a typical pretentious Hollywood movie and I know that's EXACTLY the reason it got such high praise from critics.

Also, lack of Ian McKellen made me sad.

Why :/ ? I actually loved it and mentioned it here because I thought it was way better than the X men trilogy and I just loved Magneto younger self and actor. But I never read comic books so I wouldn't know if it felt like a comic book or not, so did you dislike anything else in it ?

I was looking forward to Magneto the movie and got really pissed off when it got cancelled I much prefer it over the upcoming Wolverine movie, well at least I have Deadpool to look forward to next year :3
May 22, 2013 1:04 PM

Nov 2012
opernlied said:
Guess I'll join in. Top ten, in alphabetical order:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)
- 8½ (Federico Fellini)
- Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville)
- Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov)
- Mulholland Drive (David Lynch)
- Pierrot le Fou (Jean Luc Godard)
- Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky)
- Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)
- The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers)
- The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola)

I guess the top for me would be Mulholland and Synecdoche. Other stuff that I can't quite fit or need a rewatch would be: Persona, Brazil, M, Pulp Fiction, Rules of the Game, Amour, Fight Club, Eternal Sunshine, Chungking Express

Your books list was much more 2deep4u.
May 22, 2013 1:20 PM
Nov 2009
The american version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was awful.
May 22, 2013 3:06 PM

Apr 2011
Zerkalo said:
Your books list was much more 2deep4u.

I'm not saying it's just Gravity's Rainbow and Ulysses, but it's just Gravity's Rainbow and Ulysses (and I mostly like Joyce for his prose, anyway).

A related question for the thread: What do you people think of The Tree of Life?
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
May 22, 2013 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
opernlied said:

A related question for the thread: What do you people think of The Tree of Life?

I think it is great movie. Yeah, it's very weird, slow paced and tries to ask all sorts of deep philosophical questions, and I get that those things are things that push 99% of people away from it. But for me? I thought it was fascinating. It is perfectly directed, the script is never becomes (too) pretentious, the visual effects are unbelievable, the score is gorgeous and Brad Pitt's acting is really good.

That being said, I would never put it in a Top 10 Favorites list, because while I think it is great, I'm not crazy over it, it's not something I end up falling in love with it after I finished watching.

Also, speaking of recent movies that ask big questions and created a lot of debate and opinions that are complete opposites from each other, what do you guys think of Cloud Atlas?
May 22, 2013 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
I watch too many movies, so here's what I can remember, in no particular order:

Favorite Good Movies
-Pulp Fiction
-Fight Club
-Inglorious Basterds
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit
-Back to the Future (all of them)
-Blade Runner
-It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
-A Clockwork Orange
-Taxi Driver
-Reservoir Dogs
-Chinatown
-The Godfather (I and II)
-Die Hard (all of them, fuck you)
-Dr. Strangelove
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-American Graffiti
-Heavy (fucking) Metal

Favorite Bad Movies
-Tank Girl
-Sucker Punch
-The Decline of Western Civilization
-Fritz the Cat
-Cool World
-Rock N' Rule
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
May 22, 2013 6:29 PM

Oct 2012
Matthew-san said:
Also, speaking of recent movies that ask big questions and created a lot of debate and opinions that are complete opposites from each other, what do you guys think of Cloud Atlas?

I loved it. From a presentation standpoint, it's wonderful. The transitions between timelines are never random. They always follow a pattern but variate enough to keep things fresh. There's also a lot of quirk into some of the timelines so it doesn't feel like they're all telling the same stories (Cavendish's timeline was a personal favorite of mine). Compared to the book, it looks like the movie went for a bit more flare and a bit less substance (as the movie can't have all the 1st person POV monologues nor can it show the linguistic idiosyncrasies [Isaac being the only exception]) but it still tied itself up very well and didn't disappoint with its ending. It bothered me that it didn't get as much critical raving as it deserved, but this has happened to some of the best movies of all time too (Vertigo, Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, etc.)
May 22, 2013 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Matthew-san said:

I loved it. From a presentation standpoint, it's wonderful. The transitions between timelines are never random. They always follow a pattern but variate enough to keep things fresh. There's also a lot of quirk into some of the timelines so it doesn't feel like they're all telling the same stories (Cavendish's timeline was a personal favorite of mine). Compared to the book, it looks like the movie went for a bit more flare and a bit less substance (as the movie can't have all the 1st person POV monologues nor can it show the linguistic idiosyncrasies [Isaac being the only exception]) but it still tied itself up very well and didn't disappoint with its ending. It bothered me that it didn't get as much critical raving as it deserved, but this has happened to some of the best movies of all time too (Vertigo, Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, etc.)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
May 23, 2013 5:45 AM

Jun 2009
Finally watched The Evil Dead (1981) that was pretty awesome. It was campy as all hell and some of the effects were kind of badly done, but the movie legitimately creeped me out at points and Bruce Campbell does a great job in the latter half of the film. It was strange how wooden his acting in the beginning was when he did the scenes where Ash was terrified and pretty much going crazy so well.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 23, 2013 6:03 AM

Feb 2005
insan3soldiern said:
Finally watched The Evil Dead (1981) that was pretty awesome. It was campy as all hell and some of the effects were kind of badly done, but the movie legitimately creeped me out at points and Bruce Campbell does a great job in the latter half of the film. It was strange how wooden his acting in the beginning was when he did the scenes where Ash was terrified and pretty much going crazy so well.
Hah yea it is pretty cool.
It's too bad 2 was just a remake of the first one and the third didn't even bother hiding that it was really a comedy.
May 23, 2013 6:19 AM

Oct 2012
Watched Requiem for a Dream. Damn that was heavy. Beautiful film. Petrifying with its greatness. And who makes a game show that screams "Juice!" Wth.

Now time to watch Eraserhead. Lynch time!
Ducat_RevelMay 23, 2013 6:27 AM
May 23, 2013 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
Requiem for a Dream struck me as one of those great movies you never want to see again, like the Seventh Continent or, to a lesser extent, Grave of the Fireflies.
May 23, 2013 7:44 AM

Oct 2012
I think I could handle another round of Requiem for a Dream. But only when I have nothing left to watch. It's rewatch value isn't that demanding nor that appealing.
May 23, 2013 7:46 AM

Jun 2009
It's been years since I saw Requiem for a Dream, so I could see myself re-watching it sometime. I pretty much remember nothing about the film except for a few scenes.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 23, 2013 7:51 AM

Oct 2012
You should definitely watch it. It's really good. Worth it. Haunting and disturbing.

Can anyone tell me how good City of God is? I've been putting it off for half a year now. Need to know if it should garner a high priority with me.
May 23, 2013 8:33 AM

Apr 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Watched Requiem for a Dream. Damn that was heavy. Beautiful film. Petrifying with its greatness. And who makes a game show that screams "Juice!" Wth.

Now time to watch Eraserhead. Lynch time!

I still haven't gotten around to watching Eraserhead yet, but as for Requiem, love it, love Darren Aronofsky's movies and I may not like his music, but for some reason Jared Leto is in so many good movies. Its re-watch value is alright. Obviously its not going to be as good as the first watch, but its a good re-watch every few months.

I can't wait for Darren Aronofsky's next movie, Noah to come out. I'm not a religious person or anything, but I'd like to see what he does with it. Plus, its dedicated in memory to Satoshi Kon, so I plan to fund the crap out of it in the box office, assuming its good.
May 23, 2013 11:30 AM

Nov 2012
Are there any good movies in the cinema this year?
I've only seen The Master, Springbreakers and The Hobbit but they were good.
May 23, 2013 12:20 PM

Oct 2012
Not in any particular order-

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club
Scarface
The Godfather trilogy
Gran Tarino
No Country for Old /men
Lord of War
28 Days Later
Predator (The first one, no one else can replace Arnold and his one liners)
The Thing (The 80s John Carpenter version)
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Dark Knight
Watchmen
Sin City
Crash
Traffic
Falling Down
There Will Be Blood
Sling Blade
Forrrest Gump
The Shawshank Redemption
American History X
Death Sentence
Jurassic Park (The first one)
Alien
Aliens
Sweeny Todd

These are the movies I've enjoyed enough to own. The Godfather, 28 Days Later, Fight Club, Jurassic Park, and Predator being my favorites.
ShrabsterMay 23, 2013 12:29 PM

May 24, 2013 12:20 AM

Sep 2012
Just out of curiosity, did anyone else find American Psycho to be hilarious? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I think it was intentional. I laughed really hard at that movie.
May 27, 2013 11:03 AM

Jun 2011
American Psycho was a dark comedy, so yes, it was intentionally funny.
I also quite liked it.
May 27, 2013 1:10 PM

Sep 2012
I watched it with some friends a while back, and they thought I was being weird since I was pretty much on the floor laughing.

We watched it again later on, and I think they found it funnier the second time.
May 27, 2013 8:05 PM

Dec 2011
I recently watched Trainspotting for the first time due to my man-crush on Johnny Lee Miller. It was like Dazed & Confused had a bizzare love-child with Requiem For A Dream. It has the most horrifying, uncomfortable detox scene I've ever seen in a movie. Very funny moments, also some very disturbing ones, it's probably the best PSA against drug-abuse.

I also watched a canadian low-budget cult-horror film called Cube for the first time. Holy shit this film was awesome. It's kind of like Saw without the mastermind pulling the strings, meets the claustrophobic psychological horror of John Carpenter's The Thing. If you have any taste for horror you should see this movie.

Also if you like Pulp Fiction, you need to see a little 90's gem called 'Go' starring a very young Katie Holmes, and very sexy Sarah Polly. It's an awesome little spin on the Pulp Fiction format, is hysterical, and has a perfect ending.

Lastly, if you haven't already, you should really watch Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove. It's the best comedy film of all time. The performances are just... well, just watch it. Before I steal your precious bodily fluids.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
May 28, 2013 8:14 AM

Jun 2011
Oh, I've seen Cube. I was actually just thinking about rewatching it recently. I've heard good things about Trainspotting as well, though I have a hard time seeing how it could beat Requiem for best anti-drug movie.
May 28, 2013 8:42 AM

Apr 2013
Maybe i'm a little bit excessive, but i saw a lot of pulp fiction, fight club, space oddysey, godfather and so on..
somehow most of the list looks exactly like something you will find if you type "BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIMES" on google >:) *mocking evil laughter*
May 28, 2013 9:26 AM

Sep 2012
Maybe. But there's a reason they're considered the best. And I'm glad to see Cloud Atlas mentioned a decent number of times.
May 28, 2013 9:32 AM

Jun 2011
I didn't fill out my list with the best movies I know, but rather my own personal favourites. I was pleased to find Requiem for a Dream and 12 Angry Men on a few other people's lists. I don't generally encounter many people who have seen them.

Aside from those, though, I find much of my list is absent from any others here.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.