Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2013 7:14 AM

Jun 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Vincent really grew on me after this episode
HybridMBLMay 18, 2013 7:22 AM
May 18, 2013 8:33 AM
Mar 2011
damn it! i want the next episode!!
"....i am the villain in this story"
May 18, 2013 8:41 AM

Jul 2011
Too short! Too short!!
And now I have to wait another week. >___<

I ike how this series dives into the past of minor characters. Great characterization.

Mutta repeating Rick's lines... I grinned when they both turned to look at him.

Next episode looks depressing... their parents get mad at them?
Heh, everyone thought they wouldn't achieve their dream... look at Vicent and Pico now!
I have an ominous feeling that Rick dies or something happens to him next episode...
May 18, 2013 8:44 AM

Jun 2011
Well, now it's obvious that this Rick kid went somewhere far from his friends... or died.
That must be a reason for Vince to hate media.
May 18, 2013 9:29 AM

Oct 2007
I want to know what happened to Rick.
May 18, 2013 9:56 AM
Aug 2012
Really curious abut Rick! I feel like something happened involving at least one of the things that Vince mentioned he hates, since it would give him a good reason to

I just hope he didn't die ):
May 18, 2013 11:44 AM

Apr 2012
It was great to see young Pico and Vince and their inner conflicts, and Rick too. So Brian is like 15 years older than them, thought he was a bit younger, but that makes him a real O.G.. I wonder what's going to happen with Rick.
May 18, 2013 12:37 PM

Oct 2008
I'm definitely loving this whole arc, including all this stuff about the past of Vince and Pico.
May 18, 2013 1:03 PM

Jul 2012
I don't like flashbacks and it seems that this one will continue in next episode as well.
May 18, 2013 1:06 PM

Mar 2011
This episode has made me fall for Vincent. In the end, he was just another kid who dreamed of going to space with those close to him, much like Mutta and Hibito. T_T I'm going to have to brace myself for the waterworks coming next week.
May 18, 2013 1:43 PM

Dec 2012
Each episode makes me appreciate this series even more. It was interesting to see where Vince and Pico were coming from. Their past strongly resembled the movie October Sky as well :d.
May 18, 2013 1:59 PM

Aug 2010
As expected. I knew I'll love Vince once I get to know him more and I'm glad I wasn't mistaken hehe.

Rick really does resemble Brian. Really curious about what happens to him????
May 18, 2013 3:39 PM

Apr 2010
"An earnest failure has meaning". This really made the episode.

Hoping we'll find out what occurred to Rick soon. This episode really helped put Vincent and Pico in a new light.

A lot of people from small towns probably receive advice to stay and work at their local professions but the dreamers who have ambition and motivation are the ones who make something special of themselves.

5/5
May 18, 2013 4:29 PM

Oct 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
Their past strongly resembled the movie October Sky as well :d.

I knew it,I F-ING KNEW IT!!!I knew that at least one other person here would have saw the similarities between this episode & that movie.I even heard them mentioned Homer Hickam,the main character of October Sky.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
May 18, 2013 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
JeddyVII said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I knew it,I F-ING KNEW IT!!!I knew that at least one other person here would have saw the similarities between this episode & that movie.I even heard them mentioned Homer Hickam,the main character of October Sky.

Holy shit, I didn't even realize that.
+1 for October Sky reference.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 18, 2013 4:45 PM
Jun 2008
Blaming myself instead of others.. No one is enemy except myself . Nice quote from Mutta.

A risky and fruitful future. A promised future. I wonder which is better for one's life .
MorningGloryMay 18, 2013 4:55 PM
May 18, 2013 9:14 PM

Mar 2012
Really enjoyed this episode... Im not one for animes based on real life but this one takes the cake from everything.... really love this anime
May 18, 2013 11:15 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, that career advisor teacher was an ass! It's terrible when the adults in a teen's life stomp on his/her dreams right from the bat. In an ideal world these teachers would read what their students have planned and then proceed to find out about the realities of that profession, making sure the students understand what kind of road to expect when chasing their dreams, but letting them go after those dreams nontheless. After all, we humans regret the things we did not do more than the things we did, so even if that dream does not come true, at least you can say that you gave it your best shot.

I really liked Rick, Vince and Pico's relationship in this ep. I guess we'll find out in the next ep what happened to Rick, but this ep gave me the impression it was something final, since I doubt Pico and Vince would still be doing the fist bump thing if they had just drifted apart from Rick.

And seriously, who is afraid of driving 100 on a straight highway? I suppose if you keep overtaking other vehicles in a very zigzaggy manner then maybe, if you also don't trust the driver's abilities, but considering who Vince is I doubt he's incompetent with mere cars. And yeah, he seems much safer than the older guy Mutta was riding with in that white van, haha.
May 19, 2013 1:35 AM

Nov 2011
God, Mutta was so cool this ep, hated Vince when i first saw him, cant believe this feeling is about to change.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 19, 2013 9:37 AM

May 2011
Heh, if Mutta hadn't met Young before I doubt he would have been so calm, eh? XD

Another back-story I enjoyed. Despite not knowing what happened with Rick it I'm glad that at least two of them were able to chase after their dreams and remained friends. It is always so uncomfortable seeing parents and other adults trying to push their idea unto children. :/
May 19, 2013 1:25 PM
May 2011
This episode reminded my a lot of Homer Hickam's October Sky. Basically a boy and his friends from a small mining town that got interested in rocketry and space.
May 19, 2013 8:19 PM

Sep 2011
JeddyVII said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

Oh they really mentioned Homer Hickam ^^ and everyone who haven't watched the movie go watch it is a great movie!
May 20, 2013 11:40 AM

Oct 2011
"An earnest failure has meaning"

My view of Vince has changed. Same with Pico. The flashback of young Vince, Pico and Rick was beautiful and inspiring. Living in a small town where mining is the way to go and dreaming big is bad. WTH. That career counselor/teacher was an *** and jerk. Stomping on their dream and making them do what everyone is doing.
Aren't teachers suppose to support students dream in life. Even family too?

I love the October Sky references in this episode.

But what happen to Rick?? I hope he didn't die due to accident. i.e rocket. Maybe his dream didn't come true and he left Vince and Pico TwT.
AnimeFan500May 20, 2013 11:48 AM
May 20, 2013 4:34 PM

Jul 2009
Ah, what a great episode. Pico, Rick, and Vince seem to have a really great friendship there. Kind of sucky to have to be stuck into doing something they don't want just because of where they were born ... of course, I also understand the need to think "realistically", but hey, gotta follow your dreams right? *headshot* :P
The obvious question is where Rick is now ... I'd be guessing that he died so Pico and Rick are still trying to complete their childhood promise, but I could be wrong. "Earnest failure has meaning" ... yeah, I gotta agree with that. It's a very Mutta thing to say XD
Hmm, so I bet Pico's looking for that piece they split between the 3 of them ... TBH I thought he was gonna tell Vince to drive them all home haha, since he just pulled out his keys at first XD
Looking forward to seeing what happened to that trio next week :O
May 20, 2013 6:21 PM

Mar 2009
I've certainly known a lot of people like that career counselor in my life. If people keep telling you that you can't do this or you can't do that, eventually you start to believe them.

Anyway, great episode. I take it we should brace for sadness?
May 21, 2013 10:31 PM

Dec 2009
I suspect that Rick ended up having to work in the mines instead of following his dream. Doubt he died.
May 22, 2013 7:31 AM

Dec 2012
Yea I have a bad feeling Rick dies too, can't help by wonder from what.

The moment Mutta talks about earnest failure and they both turn to look at him is priceless ^.^
May 22, 2013 10:24 AM

Nov 2011
u2blah said:
I suspect that Rick ended up having to work in the mines instead of following his dream. Doubt he died.

^^This.
The preview contained Rick uttering the word "betrayal".

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 1, 2013 9:22 PM
Nov 2011
Honestly, a lot of small town folk think that way. In many such towns whole families have lived there for generations, they grew up, raised their own children, and then passed this expectation down. It even gets to the point that if you aspire for something better that something is wrong with you to them.

It's very sad, I know places like that, and finally said enough and moved on.

As for the 100 MPH thing on a 'straight road', consider this, it's not the speed, it's the other drivers reactions to you going faster that's the problem. However, I'll be honest, I don't think Mutta was impressed by it LOL.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Sep 13, 2013 6:44 PM

Feb 2010
I liked Mutta's "i'm my own worst enemy" talk.
Oct 24, 2013 5:19 PM
Jan 2013
I knew it! He referenced his terrorizing ride in the van!
I hated the guidance counselor... but I guess that's more common than I'd expect, and not bad advice for kids who don't have passion for a strong dream... but still, I hated him for saying it was impossible for them to reach their dreams.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Mar 18, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2012
Reasons why Uchuu Kyoudai is Amazing #442: Character development for "antagonist"-like characters such as Vince and Pico.
Jul 30, 2014 2:07 PM

Nov 2011
So many bro fists. This episode had a good amount of feels.
Oct 25, 2014 7:34 PM

Nov 2011
Mutta was pretty awesome this time. He has his moments. :)

I'm liking the backstory for Vince and Pico. I wonder what happened to Rick...

I think their more extreme tendencies (perfectionism/speed for Vince, drinking for Bold) might be related.
Mar 29, 2015 11:33 PM

Jun 2009
Another backstory episode.

Wonder what happened to Rick.
Nov 16, 2015 4:48 AM
Dec 2009
Ragix said:
JeddyVII said:

Holy shit, I didn't even realize that.
+1 for October Sky reference.

I haven't seen that in ages... now I want to rewatch it...
Nov 21, 2015 6:51 PM

Mar 2012
Some needed backstory on Vincent and Pico. Wonder what happened to Rick.
May 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Jun 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
Each episode makes me appreciate this series even more. It was interesting to see where Vince and Pico were coming from. Their past strongly resembled the movie October Sky as well :d.

I didn't see it at first, but when I saw that Pothill also had a mine ... and that Vince's dad wanted him to work at the mine - it definitely felt like October Sky, except instead of 4 people, its 3 and instead of watching Sputnik, they are watching the ISS. Too bad they didn't have a teacher that encouraged them.
zat-bustMay 14, 2016 8:55 AM

Dec 20, 2016 5:45 PM

May 2015
Nice backstory of three friends. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 26, 2016 2:55 PM

Nov 2016
Episode 58 - Earnest Failure:

Vincent such a extremist thinking that all scientists who advocate to unmanned spaceflight, and all astronomers are the enemy.

Vincent To have such extremist mind, something must happen to the black hair guy in his flashback. Or to himself.

Vincent lost his cool for once.

That teacher mouth, breaking dreams like nothing, he himself must be an unhappy man.

Brian is a really admired man. Even by the always cool Vincent.

"Yeah, compared to Deneil Young, Vince seems much safer. After all he's barely breaking the speed limit." (Mutta to Vincent)

"Only if you're earnest about it. An earnest failure has meaning." (Mutta and Rick)

4/5
Sep 18, 2017 2:22 PM

May 2012
Lovely backstory I must say! Quite liked it, let's see what's next.
Mar 11, 2018 7:11 AM

Feb 2013
What a horrible adviser, he is telling them they don't have a chance.
Mar 11, 2018 9:31 AM

Jun 2017
Really nice backstory. I wonder what happened to Rick.
Nov 1, 2020 4:11 PM

Dec 2007
really loved how mutta didn't react to vince high speed and why, also his answer to his question.

great backstory, too bad that what happening when you are in small town, i know that feeling a little, but these days i know it's not true.

and as everyone here pointed out, probably something happened to riko, thought i don't think it's death but something more realistic...
Aug 8, 2023 10:51 AM

Dec 2018
I love how this show focuses on everyone and treats them equally; regardless of race or gender they all have wonderful stories. It shows how petty our squabbles are in the vacuum of space. May we all reach it together.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.