Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 5, 2012 9:43 PM

Apr 2012
pretty horrific death scene.
pretty cute cat!

This arc seemed to have some weird obstructive visual effects, noticeable most when it's dark - the whole thing looked like well-thumbed photographs or something.
I'd have to (and will :D) watch again but each arc was *slightly* different in style, each hinting at the quirks of the dominant art style in a particular era maybe? Beyond the series' unique style to begin with... So obviously the 1920s would be photographic (on top of the Expressionist / Abstract / Modernist / Art Nouveau / whatever mannequins and so on (I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to this but occasionally noted a couple of those)).

I'd certainly watch another series but I kind of hope they leave it here. Don't want the mystery diluting or the format becoming stale, which it certainly isn't now. The leap in time to the final arc adds some nice closure in the sense the Medicine Seller is shown to still be doing his thing.

Kusuriuri's final words about men being born, Ayakashi just coming into being etc seemed like they were hinting at the nature of himself, not just his job? I'm not sure how though.

ramble ramble
Aug 16, 2012 10:08 PM

Apr 2012
A truly fantastic series - I am sad that it is over but it came to an end with a satisfying conclusion. Having things end just as they started back in the Ayakashi series, on the Bakeneko arc, was a good choice. And, moving things forward in time really reinforced the idea that the Medicine Seller's task is a seemingly endless one.
Oct 15, 2012 4:22 AM

Mar 2010
this arc was kinda easy to figure out since i saw ayakashi,nonetheless it has been a great show and i give it 9/10
Dec 21, 2012 6:12 PM
Dec 2008
A really unique anime. As everyone said, great art style. I loved the stories and how they were told. I'm glad the mysterious part of the medecine seller is kept intact :)

In the end, this was really similar to Mushishi ( which came after, anyway ) but a lot darker.
This is a solid 9 out of 10 for me.
Mar 4, 2013 11:51 AM

Feb 2011
tofei said:
So only the Mayor and Moriya were gone? Well at least this time only the directly responsible got what they deserve.

seems like it, sort of an happy end to end the anime, same with the thing of mononokes getting purified instead of getting just killed

i liked best the zarakiwarashi and nopperabou arc, but overall this was a nice serie
some episodes may require multiple watching to get them all, but that's just added value if one is patient enouth

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Mar 31, 2013 12:39 AM

Jul 2012
What a show.
Jun 7, 2013 1:12 PM

Dec 2012
After completing the series and get used to the art, which is undeniably beautiful but very melancholic for me, I can say that Mononoke is an "one of a kind" anime, very easy to get you hooked. It's the best choice to watch for those who dislike anime and at the same moment for those who adore them.
Jun 11, 2013 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
I had to adapt a bit as the series' artwork was rather unusual for me to watch. Otherwise, unique series with an unique main character, one that I might not forget for awhile.

"I'll never forgive you".
Dat ending.

What an episode/series.
Jun 23, 2013 8:51 AM

Jul 2011
Really enjoyed this show, and although this arc was predictable, it still managed to keep my interest the way it had all show long. Flew through all 12 episodes in one sitting, something I hadn't done for a while. Very reminiscent of Mushishi, but with a fresh style of art.
Jul 7, 2013 12:08 PM

May 2012
A really tragic end to come to your end... but well this case sure was really interesting! On some points the informative part was slightly boring but the ending sure made up for that!

The whole series was quite impressive, I directly started watching this series after finishing Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror and I really must say I enjoyed this series to the fullest! Some really fucked up stuff combined with nice case solving and superb action!

I wouldn't mind a second season with this kind of quality! Really nice anime in general 9/10
Jul 15, 2013 9:08 PM

Dec 2011
Lots of great scenes in the episode. Ichikawa's demise and final moments on the track with the cat, and the last moments before the Medicine Seller purifies the Mononoke.
This was my favorite arc of the series, followed by the last arc. Overall a good series, though many of the episodes were too slow for much of the duration to really be engaging for me. 7/10
Aug 29, 2013 12:37 PM

Mar 2012
10/10

This anime is truly a gem, one which i'm surprised not many people talk about. The story telling was amazing, art style was unique and beautiful and each character was interesting. Hope to someday see another anime similar to this one.
Oct 12, 2013 9:27 AM

Jul 2010
One of the most interesting anime I've ever watched indeed. This least arc was not my favorite but, was absolutely fantastic and mindblowing.
I'd pay gold for a S2.

celebes said:
Scene where Ichikawa is lying on the rails and can't move was amazing

This.
Jan 5, 2014 9:53 AM
May 2013
Mononoke was a beatiful experience, an artistically construction of color and sound, a truly trance of the senses.
Apr 17, 2014 2:31 AM

Nov 2012
I know anime which was hated for such animation, I guess it's just matter of being hypocrite hipster.

0 for art and animation
music was negligible
story 50/50, some arc were interesting but I had bad feel about pacing

total score 4/10
Jun 15, 2014 6:04 AM
Feb 2007
Lovely arc.. I take back what I said about The Nue Arc being my favorite. Bakeneko Arc was amazing in so many ways. I love how this series ended. Too bad it only has 12 episodes. :<
Jun 28, 2014 7:00 AM

Oct 2013
"I am just a simple medicine man"
great fucking anime
[/quote]
Jul 4, 2014 4:58 AM

Aug 2013
Really amazing how the perpetrators never show remorse even with death knocking at their doors *smh*

Great show.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 12, 2014 1:19 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
This was such a great watch. I feel so fulfilled.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Oct 25, 2014 8:34 AM

Jul 2014
This was truly an amazing anime.

Kusuriuri is one heck of a badass character.

Akanezora said:
celebes said:

This.
Dec 24, 2014 10:07 AM

Dec 2011
What a series, just fantastic. The art is amazing, the arcs were amazing and Kusuriuri is amazing. 10/10, for sure is a masterpiece.

Akanezora said:
celebes said:

This.
[/quote]
Feb 20, 2015 6:02 AM

Nov 2013
Awesome series, visual storytelling at its finest. Although it was a little too slow for me at times, shots would linger or characters would speak very precisely and slowly, which lead me to a bit of impatience. But overall, very well handled, OST is splendid, none of the arcs kinda outshone the others for me. I felt a little disturbed at times though, I'm not sure if I'd rewatch this one :D
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 30, 2015 11:30 PM

Aug 2014
The scene where Ichikawa is looking at the oncoming train is chilling.

The shifting from Kusuriuri killing the bakeneko to the journalist in the train was perfect.

I can't really thinking of words that would praise this series enough. It was amazing, the acting (Sakurai <33) art, music were just A+++ Definitely one of my favs.
Aug 1, 2015 2:54 PM

Jul 2010
Even more than the storylines, the art in this anime was what really fascinated me. Honestly, I think you only begin to appreciate Mononoke more through rewatching. This is just one of those anime that you definitely revisit later on to pick up on subtleties.

A beautiful, unique show. Makes me want to watch Ayakashi, but I heard it's not as great as Mononoke.
Faceless Monster arc was definitely my fave. Loved the woman's fantasy.
Now that I think bout it, there really are a lot of female empowerment themes in Mononoke.
Nov 12, 2015 11:00 AM

Jun 2014
what a fucking masterpiece

why can't we have more shows like this one nowadays ;_;

10/10 what a classic
:3
Jan 29, 2016 4:13 AM

Jun 2015
This show was a trip and a half.
:)
Jan 30, 2016 12:13 PM

Jan 2015
Didn't like this arc at all.

3/5 for this arc.

It was a unique and refreshing series, though, it was boring at times.
8/10
Feb 3, 2016 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
I have only one thing to say.

lmao he had it coming.
Mar 5, 2016 9:43 AM

Jun 2011
Loved the arc's ending.
Loved the series' ending.
Loved the show.

I didn't like the final arc all that much, mainly due to the setting, it didn't really mash well with Kururiuri, who wears a more traditional clothing. It is still necessary though to present a message about the existence of Kururiuri. The rest of the series was nothing short of greatness. It feels weird, that in such a short time, I have grown attached to a lot of the characters. (Not just Kururiuri and Kayo)

Many have already mentioned this, but the scene where Ichikawa was lying on the rail was amazing. My heart beats faster as the train gets closer.

9/10 overall. Amazing directing coming from Nakamura Kenji, who also worked on Kuuchuu Buranko, another great directing work by him. massively underrated compared to that hack director, Shinbou Akiyuki
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 13, 2016 6:56 AM

Dec 2015
The mind-blowingly good art style and direction is what made me complete the show. Some arcs were incredible but most were pretty boring, I only liked them because of the art... I would have to rewatch this as I think I didn't understood some things but for now

7/10, a good anime but I didn't like it enough for a higher score. Still glad I watched it tho!

ToG25thBaam said:
Amazing directing coming from Nakamura Kenji, who also worked on Kuuchuu Buranko, another great directing work by him. massively underrated compared to that hack director, Shinbou Akiyuki

Both are great c:
Apr 28, 2016 3:43 PM

Feb 2013
Just finished a binge of this and I am so in awe I just had to post a reply. THIS. WAS. SERIOUSLY. AMAZING. The art is beautiful. The cast is incredible. The direction is amazing. Everything...everything about this was brilliant. I just had to express some love!
May 10, 2016 3:07 PM
Nov 2013
Fantastic ending to an intriguing series!
Jun 9, 2016 9:32 AM

Apr 2015
Pretty mediocre arc for me, this arc is basically just your simple classic "What goes around comes around" arc. That ending after the ED song conclude the whole series meant to be by few sentences.
Jun 19, 2016 1:43 PM

Oct 2015
Although kinda cliche, I liked the bakeneko arc, but the first arc (Zashiki Warishi) remains my favourite. I like this series' approach to folklore and horror. Although not really scary, the characters confronting their desires and past makes for some tense moments.

The main two problems for me was that the MC was boring, and the pacing could be excruciatingly slow at times, but still points for being a fresh take on the horror genre so Mononoke gets a 7/10 for me.
Aug 28, 2016 1:10 PM

Jun 2016
This arc was a little disappointing, but it was interesting to see the Medicine Seller also appearing in the modern era - definitely sells the theory that he's not human.

Absolutely loved this show, I'd give it a 9.5/10. A shining example of anime, really. The Umibouzo and Nopperabou arcs were definitely my favourites, since they were the most gripping, cryptic, and fun to try and piece together. The art was a pleasure to behold throughout.

Krunchy said:
I know anime which was hated for such animation

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but you got me curious. What other anime has similar animation and art style?
Feb 13, 2017 5:33 AM

Mar 2015
I really enjoyed this series overall, the art style contributed to the atmosphere and messages that it was trying to carry across, and the suspense and horror were very good.

Solid 8/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 21, 2017 6:51 AM

Aug 2014
Good anime, Masterful art. But as i said before many of the things in symbolism and themes are very-related to Japanese culture and folklore which makes it harder for me to get into it and relate with its characters and acts.
I appreciate the creativity and the art put into it.
It was very confusing in many points, perhaps will re-watch it later.

Arcs from best to worst:
1- Umibozu
2- Bakeneko
3- Zashiki-Warishi
4- Noppera Bo
5- Nue

Not a big difference between them.

I can definitely see why this show is not popular.

7.25/10
Mar 31, 2017 10:57 AM

Sep 2015
Now this is what I call a masterpiece.

From its unique and beautiful artwork, to deep and sentimental stories, all wrapped together in a horror genre series that I'll never forget. Easiest 10/10 I give in a long time.
Apr 9, 2017 10:38 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
VanishingKira said:
Couldn't really get into this compared to Mushishi.
Same.....The only arcs that I REALLY liked were the first one, the second one and the last one (The best one by far imo)

7/10 for me too.....I wouldn't mind a second season though
May 20, 2017 7:00 PM

Sep 2015
Best arc, I got chills, what a great series. As the show progressed it got (arguably) more and more horror driven. And by the end it was literally a psychological slasher set on a train. Kind of curious if the opening of the first subway is an anachronism in the series? Don't know enough about Japanese History to say. I'm sure it's on purpose/inconsequential if it is. Either way what a fresh and exciting story to go out on.

Again like the Sea Bishop this arc is longer, a little meatier, and gives us a bigger cast of characters to work with. The second episode of both arcs was also the very same larger cast being put through the karmic ringer. Here as divine retribution rather than an unfortunate chance encounter. Viewers with good memories will recall this "Bakeneko" incident was the one Chiyo referred to in the Sea Bishop. And here we see a younger Chiyo among this new group meeting the Medicine Seller for the first time. It made me like the scene where he comforts her in the Sea Bishop arc even more. Here he just ignores her pleas for vindication. But the second time he's like "you've already been psychologically tortured once, and this time it's not even your fault. I'll be nice for once."

It's also significant to me in that this final arc is one of the few times the monster is arguably not in the wrong. Bringing that ambiguity of the Medicine Seller's merciless exorcismic crawl to the fore front one last time. They also definitely went a little crazy with the final exorcism scene and it was awesome. A great arc, a great ending to a great series. This show's definitely going to be bouncing around in my head for awhile.
Aug 14, 2017 6:09 AM

May 2016
Finding out that the news reporter was actually the culprit made me think of what I said about him on how he pushed away the truth when his whole body itched in the previous episode. He literally pushed the truth down the bridge o_o My guess was close enough lol

It was interesting to see the events leading up to the incident piece together while showing the other characters and how they got themselves into the mess by staying as bystanders. The girl desperately asking for help and hatefully cursing those who didn't notice her excrutiating writhing was chilling. Kusuriuri's fight with the thousands of demon cat eyes was tremendously dazzling, making me have to make my eyes wide open the whole time to not get cross-eyed from the patterns lol

I suppose the reason why everyone remembered the girl and gave her flowers in the end was because they experienced the same "dream" the news reporter had and the Ghost Cat gave the bystanders a break because they showed that they were penitent but not to the ones who intentionally became the cause of her death. After all the tragic Mononoke he encountered in the series, maybe Kusuriuri changed his mind on eradicating the Mononoke to purifying them so they can rest in peace instead.

It was very confusing at times but it gets tied together well by the end of the arc, making interpretations welcome and possible. The colors were very psychedelic and I'll miss that OP and ED
The one I enjoyed the most was the Nue arc, being the most simple story among them while being both scary and funny. I'd gladly watch a sequel if they will be one~

Sep 21, 2017 4:29 PM

Oct 2015
This anime was great overall and artist did magic on all the arcs. The stories were mysterious and intriguing to watch on every step, the bake neko last arc was scary somewhat but it brought it. I guess the bake neko is the last arc on this series too, which means it has impact. I guess Mayor Fukuda and Moria were the ones who got really killed in the end by Ichikawa (I don't know about the driver though).

How I would have loved for season 2 of this series, the form, the truth and the regret really got me going.
lihle808Sep 21, 2017 4:37 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 10, 2017 3:41 AM

Sep 2017
My first anime to go into my favourites list, a definite 10/10.

Sure there were a few flaws, but there were just too many great elements in this series. I know some people may be put off the art style and pacing, but personally I think it needed these elements to be so incredible.

I feel like having all the characters be beautiful would detract from the atmosphere (tried imagining typical characters and the scenes just didn't seem as effective to me), and I thought having the Medicine Seller be the only pretty-boy was really effective in setting him apart from the rest and further emphasise his non-human nature.

Personally I loved the pacing - having characteristics such as drawn-out speech really helped in increasing tension in scenes and messing with your mind.

Anyway there's too many things I loved about Mononoke, definitely an unforgettable show.
Oct 21, 2017 4:26 PM

Jan 2014
I like the ending, that double bluff where he thought he got off the hook. Very satisfying.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 10, 2017 4:14 PM

Dec 2016
What an awesome series. Hidden gem, very unique and fascinating.

So good! I need to watch Ayakashi later
10/10 for me
Dec 18, 2017 10:30 AM

Jan 2014
Worst arc, in my opinion. I liked bakeneko from Ayakashi so much more.

Bakeneko from Mononoke was too straight foward. I feel like the medicine seller didn't do anything. He just stood there, while everyone told everything they knew on their own. On the other arcs, the medicine seller kinda had to convince people into talking so that he got to know the form, the truth and the regret. On this arc, he was pretty much useless.

It was obvious what had happened to the girl who suicided. Too predictable.

Anyway, I liked the ending. The part in which the medicine seller is petting the cat, his hair just flows like, wow. Beautiful animation.

I guess I'll still give Mononoke a 10/10. Even though this arc wasn't that great, it was still very good. And the other arcs were just amazing, so it deserves a high rating.
Dec 25, 2017 1:32 PM

Jan 2017
You know that feeling when you know you have watched something unique and extremely special? That's how i feel after watching Mononoke, a series that shines for its uniqueness, it not only counts on the art and the animation style to achieve it but also an astonishing musicalization, a most compelling storytelling but, in my opinion, what it excels the most is in the use and transformation of the 'ayakashi' element into something never seen before in anime (to what i've seen so far, that is).

Each arc is involving, pleasing and nice executed. As for the characters, they are all impressively colorful, in the sense that in just a 2 or 3 episode arc, each and every one of them is developed in a very elegant and convincing way.

As far as the main character goes, he's flawless in every possible way: both aesthetically pleasing, but also very intriguing and mesmerizing; he's definitively not your typical plain MC, he's so much more, as much as the amount of color displayed in this living picture of 12 episodes.

If anything, the only thing that there is to regret it's how fleeting it is, for 12 episodes are not enough for such a massive feast to every sense.

At this point you may guessed that i loved this anime, it truly feels surreal and it leaves you craving for more.

10/10 without any doubts.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Feb 1, 2018 10:48 AM

Nov 2012
Disappointedly mediocre. This anime has been on my list for a long time, and it's just underwhelming. I'm really surprised by how much praise this anime gets. None of the arcs were particularly interesting. Oh well.

5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 25, 2018 6:23 PM

Dec 2015
Well i guess this wasn't for me after all i mean i tried to love it but i couldn't the slow plot and the twist at the end of every arc wasn't that great for me after all i kinda understand why you guys love it that much....
Jan 28, 2019 5:16 PM

Jun 2015
i actually really liked this anime, despite being turned away during the first episode and initial impression of it. but i ended up enjoying the concept and story a lot, especially this arc (and that cute cat).
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Jul 30, 2007

105 by iWonderman »»
Apr 22, 2:13 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zanmato666 - Aug 4, 2007

98 by uzis_imperius »»
Feb 17, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Oct 8, 2007

53 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.