Forum Settings
Forums

Keanu Reeves to play Spike Spiegel [Updated on January 15]

New
Dec 18, 2008 3:10 AM

Apr 2007
Keanu Reeves has confirmed that he is indeed involved in the live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop. Reeves recently spoke with MTV and confirmed his involvement. Reeves shared some details on the project as well:

“We’re taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series,” he explained, “and then we’ll deal with the end of the series. We’re trying to figure out [the time frame]. We’re looking at the story right now.”

“Yeah, it’s so episodic and so disconnected. We’re trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story,” he explained. “Because it’s such a short form, to make a 2 hour version [will be tough]. And it’s got so much of an origin-story obligation; you’ve got to get people up to speed, but you don’t want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good.”

There is no official word to what role Keanu will be playing, but he hopes to play Spike Spiegel. The film is being produced by Erwin Stoff and an unannounced writer is working on a screenplay.

For some more info:

AnimeVice.com
FirstShowing.net

Edited by dtshyk==========
SUNRISE Officially Announces that Keanu Plays Spike
Staff
Producer: Erwin Stoff ("I am Legend", "Matrix")
Associate Producer: Uchida Kenji (the president of SUNRISE), Watanabe Shinichiro, Nobumoto Keiko (the scenario writer of the original Bebop TV series)
Production Consultant: Minami Masahiko (the executive director of BONES)

Source: Anime!Anime!
myanimelistllcMay 1, 2016 7:47 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 18, 2008 3:13 AM

Jul 2007
Nice :) Hope he gets the main part :)
Dec 18, 2008 3:14 AM

Jul 2007
God damn it.
Dec 18, 2008 3:17 AM

Sep 2007
I don't see Keanu Reeves making a good Spike. Spike is like that guy who thinks everything is a mildly funny joke until someone drinks his last beer.
Dec 18, 2008 3:22 AM

Jul 2008
Keanu Reeves isn't too bad of an actor, but I don't think would be able to pull of a decent Spike. At all.
Dec 18, 2008 3:22 AM

Jul 2007
I love Keanu Reeves even despite his limited acting ability. This is the first I've heard of a live action version of Cowboy Bebop and I'm very excited!

I admit, I'm a bit worried that it won't be Spike Spiegal, it will just be Keanu Reeves... But I remain hopeful. I'm imagining Constantine (and at least this time Keanu actually bears some physical resemblance to the character).
<---made of awesome!
Dec 18, 2008 3:23 AM

Feb 2008
OMG! I can't wait for this live action movie !!!!Keanu Reeves? He is my favorite actor.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Dec 18, 2008 3:35 AM

Jul 2007
damn gods it...

that man can't act -__-
Dec 18, 2008 3:38 AM
Jun 2008
I'm praying for them not to screw it up...
Dec 18, 2008 3:48 AM

May 2008
I don't know why so many people dislike Keanu Reeves' acting ability. I think he will do a good job with portraying Spike; actually, when I think about it, Keanu seems to fit the role perfectly. That's just my opinion, anyway.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Dec 18, 2008 3:53 AM

Sep 2008
The fact that Keanu Reeves has a shot to play Spike doesn't bother me, he was the first guy to come up in my mind when I heard about the Live Action adaption several years ago.

It's not one of my favorite actors, his acting ability isn't that great, but I could see him doing Spike, but, I hope he DOES Spike and not Keanu, he acts good in some scenes/movies, but he doesn't get into character that much.

I'm more worried about the movie in whole, the situation, how he explained it worries me more, I just hope they can do a good job on it.
Dec 18, 2008 4:13 AM

Oct 2006
I've never been particularly impressed by Keanu Reeves' acting ability, but his martial arts experience would be a plus. Honestly I have a hard time seeing him as Spike and he doesn't seem all that suited to the role, but when it comes down to it I can't come up with anyone I think would do better.

His acting reminds me of Tom Cruise, who is great as Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible or as Tom Cruise in Top Gun but not so much if you need him to play a different sort of character. Then again, Cruise surprised me with what I thought was a quality performance in The Last Samurai, so perhaps Reeves can do the same in Cowboy Bebop if it ever gets off the ground.

I have a feeling I won't like the movie no matter who takes the role though... it's already an iffy proposition since I'm so fond of the original and would expect a great deal of loyalty to its plot and characters and general style, but it seems like it'd be extremely difficult to turn the series into a cohesive whole and then trim it down to feature film length without losing too much plot, character, action, humor, etc. (which is pretty much what he was getting at in his comments, now that I think about it)
Dec 18, 2008 4:32 AM

Oct 2008
Sounds okay..
Dec 18, 2008 4:35 AM

Mar 2008
there is about a 90% chance that this movie will be total crap. Hollywood just doesnt know how to adapt anime into a good movie. all they are out for is money.
Dec 18, 2008 4:41 AM

Apr 2008
I don't really have anything against Keanu reeves, but I agree that he doesn't really have the personality to fit the role (at least from what I've seen). I'll still see it for the heck of seeing it.

I'm more curious about how fabulous the role of Ein will be....
Dec 18, 2008 4:43 AM

Jul 2008
Seems like he's a fan of Cowboy Bebop, which is better than casting someone who is totally oblivious. No idea what to expect from Hollywood though, this may be the turning point, or another lame adaption.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Dec 18, 2008 5:00 AM

Nov 2007
I'm alright with him playing Spike. It seems like he's passionate about it, and that he'll try to stay very faithful to the role and story. Here's hoping the adaptation is good.

... All Keanu needs to do is get hotter. Spike's a cute ficional guy.
Dec 18, 2008 5:11 AM

Aug 2008
Jesus, no. He can't pull off that kind of character. I agree with above, he's not nearly hot enough either. ;-p The hair..
Dec 18, 2008 6:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Oh nice. I like him as an actor, good news.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 18, 2008 6:01 AM
Mar 2008
Cool, a live action? I've never seen Cowboy Bebop so I can't talk about loyalty, but I think it's just awesome that Hollywood is adapting an anime at all! Also I like Keanu Reeves, always have done; I don't know why people think he has "limited acting ability", from what I've seen he does everything well except for an English accent xD Which, obviously, he won't be needing to play Spike :P Anyway I'm looking forward to it :]
Dec 18, 2008 6:02 AM

Jul 2007
I'm actually alright with this news :3 I'm curious to what he'll bring to the character :3

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Dec 18, 2008 6:04 AM

May 2007
He *looks* the part. But I have my doubts whether he can pull of Spike well.

Though I'm more curious to see what parts of the anime (if any) will they use in the movie.
Dec 18, 2008 6:24 AM
Nov 2007
I'll save my judgments on Keannu as Spike until after I can think of someone better. But somehow I get the feeling that they'll be casting Samuel L. Jackson as Jet. Whether that would be good or bad remains to be seen.
Dec 18, 2008 7:44 AM

Jun 2007
Kimmie-chan said:
I'm actually alright with this news :3 I'm curious to what he'll bring to the character :3

If you want to know what he'll bring just watch the last dozen films he's been in, they are all the same! The only movie he actually showed different emotion in was "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"

They can definitely find a better actor for Spike Spiegel.
Dec 18, 2008 7:46 AM
Jul 2008
I love the guy, but he will never be able to pull it of.
Dec 18, 2008 7:50 AM
Dec 2007
vindemon64 said:
He *looks* the part. But I have my doubts whether he can pull of Spike well.

Though I'm more curious to see what parts of the anime (if any) will they use in the movie.
If he can stop being tense all the time like he ussually is, he'll get it. Spike is just goofy and quite unique and carefree. Plus his style of fighting is very fluid (one might say he looks like a weakling when fighting).

I can see what the problem is if they try to put together the overall plot of Cowboy Bebop (which was barely there), but that's not what Cowboy Bebop is about. It's about 4 bounty hunters and their day to day antics trying to scrape a living. They can just take the same approach, similar to how the Animated film did, and just do an stand-alone "episode". If they want they can put in flashbacks and hints of everyone's past somewhere, but if they try to condense the overall plot of the TV series they are bound to fail.

Dec 18, 2008 7:53 AM

Sep 2008
I don't know whether or not to be happy or pissed off. I like Keanu, but I don't think he can pull this off, honestly. One can hope, though...
Dec 18, 2008 8:09 AM

Feb 2008
i noticed that apparently everyone forgot that Keanu played Ted in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures. he was very laid back and relaxed in that movie, since it was a comedy. i think he will do a good job of playing Spike, if he does get the part. however, i would be more worried about who would play Faye and Ed...
Dec 18, 2008 8:18 AM

Sep 2007
I'd like Johnny Depp to play the role.
MireyuDec 18, 2008 1:11 PM
Dec 18, 2008 8:26 AM

Oct 2008
i cant picture it... keanu as spike.. i just cant see it
i really hate how hollywood is going into gaming/anime/comics because of their lack of originality... and although some are big hits.. most are just flops waiting to happen
gonna be lots of gunfights for sure, thx hollywood i guess

spike - ill see if he can pull it off
jet - i can see lawrence fishborne

Edit:
according to this
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=57922

it will center around this first episode.. so i dont think they will get to Faye/Ed let alone EIN!
looks like a 2hour movie about space bounty hunters with only 2 leading roles
shoxkDec 18, 2008 8:55 AM
Dec 18, 2008 8:27 AM

Sep 2007
Just put an afro on his head and he'll look just like the real Spike. LOL
Dec 18, 2008 8:44 AM

Oct 2008
I wonder at what point in the movie he'll say "whoa".

Depp would be interesting since his hair in Edward Scissorhands is kinda close...
Anyway, I'm sure the movie is going to suck regardless of who is casted. Sadly, movies adapted from tv shows usually end up that way. Usually end up being the writer or director's fault.
Dec 18, 2008 8:47 AM
Mar 2008
Noo, Keanu is slow. When Spike gets serious I won't be able to take Keanu serious.
Dec 18, 2008 8:54 AM

Jan 2008
Keanu... oh god why. This is the worst news I've heard in awhile, including the passing of a relative.

Seriously, to all of you who say "He's my favorite actor!!" or believe that he has a semblance of talent, I have one word for you.

Speed.

That's the 1994 movie, folks. Go watch it and weep.
kiss kiss fall in love~
Dec 18, 2008 8:58 AM

May 2008
This actually seems like a sort of good choice to me.
The two greatly remind me of each other.
Keanu's general acting types remind me of Spike Spiegel in personality.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Dec 18, 2008 9:00 AM

Mar 2008
there is a small chance it will be good but a huge chance it will be terrible
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Dec 18, 2008 9:01 AM

Jul 2007
We need Ryan Gosling.
Dec 18, 2008 9:15 AM

Jun 2007
Niteriche said:
i noticed that apparently everyone forgot that Keanu played Ted in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures. he was very laid back and relaxed in that movie, since it was a comedy. i think he will do a good job of playing Spike, if he does get the part. however, i would be more worried about who would play Faye and Ed...

I believe I did mentioned it, but besides that he is garbage.
Dec 18, 2008 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
well... there goes another anime turned live-action that's gonna go bad... * Keanu Reeves... they knew to much ... "We know too much" *
Dec 18, 2008 9:24 AM

Apr 2008
Whoa
Dec 18, 2008 9:37 AM

Jun 2007
Oh no...Not Keanu "Emotion?" Reeves. Spike has too much personality to be played by him.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Dec 18, 2008 9:40 AM

Feb 2008
well you know hollywood. they will try and find a way to fuk it up. they might do a good job though, but keanu being spike might now work too well. although i cant think of anyone who could pull Spike better.
Dec 18, 2008 9:42 AM

Apr 2007
Eh...Keanu as Spike? I liked him in a couple of movies, but I can't imagine him as Spike. Oh well we don't even know if he has the role yet so there's no need to be too worried yet.
Dec 18, 2008 9:48 AM

Nov 2007
Gaaaaaaaah, I hate hate hate Keanu Reeves. Only role I've ever liked him in was Constantine.

I have to admit he does look the part. But personality? Hell no. Spike may be a bit emo and of course a badass, but he's also freakin' hilarious. I don't think Reeves can pull it off.
Dec 18, 2008 10:01 AM

Dec 2008
I guess the film will be completely diffirent to the source material, always thought Spike was meant to be cool.
Dec 18, 2008 10:06 AM

Dec 2008
Red_Zealot said:
Keanu Reeves has confirmed that he is indeed involved in the live-action adaptation of Cowboy Bebop. Reeves recently spoke with MTV and confirmed his involvement. Reeves shared some details on the project as well:

“We’re taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series,” he explained, “and then we’ll deal with the end of the series. We’re trying to figure out [the time frame]. We’re looking at the story right now.”

“Yeah, it’s so episodic and so disconnected. We’re trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story,” he explained. “Because it’s such a short form, to make a 2 hour version [will be tough]. And it’s got so much of an origin-story obligation; you’ve got to get people up to speed, but you don’t want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good.”

There is no official word to what role Keanu will be playing, but he hopes to play Spike Spiegel. The film is being produced by Erwin Stoff and an unannounced writer is working on a screenplay.

For some more info:

AnimeVice.com
FirstShowing.net

Keanu Reeve also plays the movie called "the day the earth stand stood" its now showing on cinemas in cebu... :)
Dec 18, 2008 10:15 AM

Dec 2008
Spike is a multi-dimensional character. Keanu Reeves only has one setting - Super Serious Monotone.
Dec 18, 2008 10:25 AM

May 2008
I really don't see Spike as much more multidimensional than Keanu.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Dec 18, 2008 11:33 AM

Apr 2008
The heavens have abandoned us.
Dec 18, 2008 11:43 AM

Nov 2008
All this time I've been looking forward to a Cowboy Bebop live action.

Now not so much.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by Andromeda »»
52 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.