Forum Settings
Forums

Uploading profile picture / avatar - 500 Internal Server Error

New
Mar 13, 2013 8:31 AM

Sep 2011
I was trying to change my Profile Picture yet when I clicked 'Upload Picture', it shows the "500 Internal Server Error" page. I tried again but still that error page still occurs. Is it just only me?

Mod Edit: Edited title for clarity.
LunaMar 15, 2013 6:35 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 13, 2013 1:53 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
It has happened to at least one other person before. There's probably a problem with the image (for example it got corrupted when saving it). When I resaved the image the user gave me with my graphics editing program, I could upload it without problems. So try to use a different program to resave the image and upload it again. Please also post a link to the original image that causes the internal server error here so that someone can find out what's the problem.
Mar 13, 2013 4:24 PM

Mar 2013
I have tried to remove my current forum avatar and replace it, but every time I do it keeps putting on the same avatar.

Change it to a png and it comes up with an error. Eh whatever

Mod Edit: Merged posts.
LunaMar 15, 2013 6:45 AM
Mar 13, 2013 4:35 PM

Nov 2010
Zpektre said:
Change it to a png and it comes up with an error. Eh whatever
It has to be under 51kb too.
Mar 13, 2013 4:38 PM

Mar 2013
Everything about the size of the picture is fine. When i changed it to a .png and tried to upload it however, it gave me an internal error.

Edit: I resolved the issue. Thank you all for your help =w=

Mod Edit: Merged posts.
LunaMar 15, 2013 6:44 AM
Mar 15, 2013 6:48 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Zpektre said:
When i changed it to a .png and tried to upload it however, it gave me an internal error.

Please post a link to the original image that causes the internal server error here so that someone can find out what's the problem.
Mar 17, 2013 6:04 PM

Mar 2013
It wasn't a site error. It was because my photo editor corrupted the picture.
Apr 11, 2013 10:24 PM
Dec 2012
Hi, it won't let me upload a picture at all and it keeps telling me it's an internal server error. I don't know what to do. Please help
Apr 13, 2013 6:42 AM

Feb 2008
Mine's doing exactly the same at the moment.

The error message says this:
Apr 13, 2013 7:22 AM

Jan 2013
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=76425

Similar thread. Contains minor fixes and stuff. Hope it helps.
Apr 13, 2013 7:56 AM

Feb 2008
This isn't about profile pictures not changing or switching back, this is to do with a server error that doesn't allow you to upload a picture at all.
Apr 13, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
On the last pages other users are talking about something that seems similar.

johnyjohny said:
So i have this problem with my avatar. Sometimes it changes back to its previous one. Let say i successfully uploaded a PGN avatar yesterday and today it changed back to the PGN avatar i used sometime before. Sometime this is the same with a JPG avatar. And yes i already tried switching from PGN to JPG and the opposite. Does someone had this problem before and care's to help me out? thanks in advance.

edit: Ow yea MAL this really annoys me hope you guys can fix this.

This might be the fix
IntroverTurtle said:
johnyjohny said:
IntroverTurtle said:
johnyjohny said:
dranime1 said:
You are changing too much!
Same thing happened to me. I got annoyed and stop changing it.
No solution? btw i like how you are the only one on MAL that helps me out most of the time.

Edit: why does it change out of it's own?
So you've tried jpg and png, have you tried gif?

It's been changing a lot lately, since the past couple of months. It might sometimes stay on one pic for hours and then change to another one for a couple of hourse, then change back.
I hate how this shit can not be solved. Ok i try gif

edit: worked I'm silt concerned for the next time i change my avatar. Will this issue happen again often?
Yes, I changed my avatar like a month ago and it still changes everyday at certain times of the day usually. It used to not be like this, but these last couple of months have been horrible.

But it will only change between two avatars as long as they are in the same extension. So next time you want to change your avatar, do it with the extension that you haven't used in the longest.

Sorry if I'm completely mistaken. It seems really similar. Apparently it's a cache problem or something.
Apr 13, 2013 8:10 AM

Feb 2008
No, this is completely different to the cache problem as I stated above. I am familiar with that problem and I can assure you that this is something different.

Edit: Managed to fix the problem by taking the apostrophe out of the file name. That seemed way too easy.
KappakaApr 13, 2013 11:35 AM
Apr 13, 2013 11:42 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Threads merged.

Quoting myself from before:
Luna said:
It has happened to at least one other person before. There's probably a problem with the image (for example it got corrupted when saving it). When I resaved the image the user gave me with my graphics editing program, I could upload it without problems. So try to use a different program to resave the image and upload it again. Please also post a link to the original image that causes the internal server error here so that someone can find out what's the problem.

LolitaDecay said:
Edit: Managed to fix the problem by taking the apostrophe out of the file name. That seemed way too easy.

The image I tested had kanji in the name. Just renaming it didn't help, but when I resaved it, I could upload it even with the kanji in the name. So special characters don't seem to be always the problem, but it's worth a try.
LunaApr 13, 2013 11:50 AM
Oct 1, 2013 1:58 PM

Dec 2007
Hello. I browsed this board to look for an answer but could not find so sorry if it was addressed before.

When I try to upload a new profile picture it gives me a 500 Internal Server Error. What can I do to solve this?

Thanks.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 2, 2013 1:18 PM

Aug 2009
Well, here is what worked for me:

Take the picture and manually resize it so that it's 225x350 (you can do this in paint or photoshop). I tried several times uploading the original picture which was 850x1203 and I got the same error as you. First try after I manually resized it, it worked. Could have been a coincidence though. So if it doesn't work after resizing, just keep trying.

Hope this helps for anyone who is having this problem.
OlvepartyOct 2, 2013 1:31 PM
Oct 3, 2013 2:52 AM

Dec 2007
Thank you, I'll try that and come back here to say if it worked ;)
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 3, 2013 5:59 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Threads merged.

Olveparty said:
I tried several times uploading the original picture which was 850x1203 and I got the same error as you. First try after I manually resized it, it worked.

It probably didn't have anything to do with the size, but that the image was somehow broken and by resaving it you fixed this (see my reply in post #2). Still, it would be interesting to know if the file size influences this problem more, so if people experience this problem more frequently with larger file sizes, please post this here.

Also, I'm still wating for some more examples images that are broken, so please feel free to post these images here.
Oct 3, 2013 4:35 PM

Jun 2012
Can anyone see my profile picture? I just uploaded it and I keep seeing an error image instead.

pls send help
Oct 3, 2013 4:44 PM

Jul 2011
Shuhan said:
Can anyone see my profile picture? I just uploaded it and I keep seeing an error image instead.

pls send help

Exactly same problem as I have, but I have it with forum avatar xD

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 3, 2013 6:14 PM

Jun 2012
Gaichi said:
Shuhan said:

pls send help

Exactly same problem as I have, but I have it with forum avatar xD

Its working now.
Oct 3, 2013 7:50 PM

Oct 2013
im having an issue uploading an avatar -_-
Oct 3, 2013 10:42 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Can someone make a screenshot of this error image and post it here? Is an error image uploaded as your profile pic or do you mean the 500 Intenal Server Error page (which is not an image)?

If someone just has troubles because the uploaded image doesn't change or switches back to the old one, please see here.
Oct 15, 2013 5:36 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
I'm not getting an error, my profile picture is just refusing to change
I get and upload succeeded, please wait about 5 mins, and a day later, it still hasn't changed :/
Oct 20, 2013 1:39 AM

Jul 2013
I'm getting this message as I try to change my forum picture.

I have no idea what I could have done wrong.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Oct 20, 2013 4:32 AM

Feb 2013
Zelot120 said:
I get and upload succeeded, please wait about 5 mins, and a day later, it still hasn't changed :/

I'm also having this problem.
Oct 20, 2013 10:23 PM

Jul 2013
A_Fat_Man said:
Zelot120 said:

Okay, now this is happening to me too. Can't someone fix this?
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Oct 23, 2013 7:44 AM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
anime-cat said:
A_Fat_Man said:
Zelot120 said:

Yes - I am also having this issue. Tried about a dozen times, and it won't change.
Oct 23, 2013 7:49 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
elkensteyin said:
anime-cat said:
A_Fat_Man said:
Zelot120 said:

Yes - I am also having this issue. Tried about a dozen times, and it won't change.

I was having this problem, fixed it though!
HAve you tried deleting your Cache?
Delete your cache and then restart the browser
Oct 26, 2013 9:08 PM

Dec 2008
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

;_____; What do I do?!
Feb 7, 2014 6:42 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Internal Server Error?
From what I understand, the error happens when the system tries to either convert the profile picture into a .jpg or resize the picture so it fits within the 250x325 pixel limit and the program/system that does those is not working.
Try doing this to resolve the problem!
1) Change the format of your picture into .jpg
2) Resize your picture to 250x325 with photo editing software.

This reduces the chance of an internal server error due to the fact that the picture will not need to be converted or resized!
Feb 8, 2014 2:19 AM
Sep 2009
Zelot said:
1) Change the format of your picture into .jpg
2) Resize your picture to 250x325 with photo editing software.

This reduces the chance of an internal server error due to the fact that the picture will not need to be converted or resized!

1) My pictures are already in JPG format.
2) They are also smaller than 250 × 325
... and I still have this "internal error" each time I'm trying to submit a picture or a background for my lists.
Apr 8, 2014 9:24 PM

Jul 2012
LolitaDecay said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! Apparently I was having the same problem, so your fix worked for me as well. It seems like a really odd nitpick for the system to have.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Aug 23, 2014 9:05 AM

Aug 2014
Hello there,

Whenever I try to upload a picture, I face a "500 Internal server Error".

Is it just me, or is it the MAL server?
El Psy Kongroo.
Aug 23, 2014 10:04 AM

Oct 2009
Maybe your picture is too big?
Aug 23, 2014 11:28 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Threads Merged.

Luna_ said:
There's probably a problem with the image (for example it got corrupted when saving it). When I resaved the image the user gave me with my graphics editing program, I could upload it without problems. So try to use a different program to resave the image and upload it again. Please also post a link to the original image that causes the internal server error here so that someone can find out what's the problem.
Aug 23, 2014 1:52 PM

Aug 2014
Serhiyko said:

It's 162 KB big. Is that too much?
El Psy Kongroo.
Aug 23, 2014 2:11 PM

Oct 2009
RagnarTh3Red said:

Probably not. Anyway, see the post above yours
Aug 23, 2014 3:28 PM

Jul 2012
i've tried changing my profile picture and waited only to find it hasn't been changed... T.T
(i've also tried removing the original picture and then uploading another but to no avail)
Aug 23, 2014 3:34 PM

Oct 2009
aznsensation801 said:
i've tried changing my profile picture and waited only to find it hasn't been changed... T.T
(i've also tried removing the original picture and then uploading another but to no avail)

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=76425&show=700#msg15521929
Aug 24, 2014 12:20 AM

Oct 2009
RagnarTh3Red said:

Maybe it has apostrophe in its name or any other characters? Rename it so that it only has Latin letters (and extension) in its name
Aug 24, 2014 5:16 AM

Aug 2014
RagnarTh3Red said:
Serhiyko said:

It works for me now. All I did was re-saving the picture as .jpg with Photoshop.

aznsensation801 said:

You should try doing the same with your avatar.
El Psy Kongroo.
Aug 24, 2014 5:48 AM

Oct 2009
RagnarTh3Red said:
You should try doing the same with your avatar.

No, it won't work for him. His problem is not "500 Internal server Error" as in your case, but this: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=76425&show=700#msg15521929
Sep 5, 2014 4:34 AM

Aug 2014
Had the 500 internal error as well.
Worked resizing the picture and renaming it.

Now it is only showing as a square, but by experience I have noticed it to appear at some point.
At least it solved my problem,thank guys.
Oct 9, 2014 7:39 PM

Aug 2014
Im having some problems uploading a gif as my profile pic. Ive manual cut it down to 250x325, and below the size limit, but now its giving me this message:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Oct 10, 2014 2:20 AM

Oct 2009
Kippeh said:
Im having some problems uploading a gif as my profile pic. Ive manual cut it down to 250x325, and below the size limit, but now its giving me this message:

Maybe convert it to .jpg also? And size limit is 225 x 350, btw
Oct 23, 2014 7:49 AM

Mar 2013
Page said:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I've been trying to change my profile picture a few times now and waited on every so, but I always get that error when I try to submit the new profile picture. The error only appears when I try to change the profile picture as of now, nowhere else. Looking at the .cdn, the picture doesn't manage to change. Any reason why this is appearing and if there is a way to pass by it?

Note that trying with other pictures or changing the image's format results in the same error.
Oct 23, 2014 8:13 AM

Oct 2009
Oct 23, 2014 8:26 AM

Mar 2013
Doesn't help me.

Luna_ said:
Subpyro said:
Note that trying with other pictures or changing the image's format results in the same error.
Oct 23, 2014 8:55 AM

Oct 2009
Maybe your every other picture is broken? Post every one of them here
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - 57 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
57 minutes ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3371 by NotDerb »»
6 hours ago

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
9 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Today, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.