Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2013 7:16 PM
Sep 2012
The OST fit so perfectly in every scene, from sorrow to happiness.
Seeing as this was in the comedy genre, that first half introduction was so harsh and unexpected.
Already my number 1 anticipated show this year.
Jan 10, 2013 7:17 PM

Dec 2012
GarLogan78 said:
I really enjoyed the episode.

But I agree with some people about how Kotoura should have learned really early on to not talk back to people thinking about her or something. I don't get why she would keep doing it even after all the shit she went through.

The way I got it, now she does it to intentionally push people away.

Amarrez said:
I'm really not liking the look of the next episode preview.

The suffering isn't over yet, I think.

Isn't that girl in her "group" during the OP/ED?
Jan 10, 2013 7:17 PM

Feb 2008
Well, it was all sad from the beginning and little painful but it's sure quickly change a comedy one in the end, so didn't feel so much the sadness.
The main character guy was funny as well, put him as pervo guy.
I feel these sad pasts always happend in every anime plot, when they turn out to have some kind of ESP power, but a love-comedy is nice.

Oh that's why I somehow got a feeling I knew the voice actor for Haruka then I realize it was the same as Kiriyama Yui from Kokoro Connect.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 10, 2013 7:24 PM

Apr 2009
Blackbird said:
Oh that's why I somehow got a feeling I knew the voice actor for Haruka then I realize it was the same as Kiriyama Yui from Kokoro Connect.

A bullied girl being voiced by a bully?

If that isn't irony, I don't know what is.
Jan 10, 2013 7:34 PM

Mar 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
mokki said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

it's not trying hard to be emotional. i loved the first episode and i didn't cry or feel sad, but i really enjoyed the writing and i don't think it deserves to be called "shit." just because most of the users here cried or got upset doesn't mean that's what the director intended to happen. i also don't think haruka deserves to be called retarded or a self pitying idiot. she was just a little child when she started hearing other people's thoughts, and she thought they were actually talking because she was a child and couldn't make sense of it. instead of her parents trying to understand and teach her how to control her ability, they abused her and abandoned her. after enduring abuse and abandonment from almost everyone she's ever met or known, including her parents, are you actually getting mad at her being cold and mean towards everyone around her? the writing actually makes sense here.

You don't think it was trying to be emotional? Not even when she finds solace in that abandoned cat, which gets cruelly taken away by some random woman who also tells her to fuck off and never come back, leading her to have an emotional breakdown and scream? Not at all?

I call the writing "shit" because it gives us an unconvincing plot and some really poorly thought out plot devices. It also didn't lead up to the dramatic sessions well, though that's possibly a directing problem rather than a writing problem. I get that the mother and father were both horrible human beings, however you have to ask yourself, how? They are shown as initially loving people, but then they become assholes. Also, they apparently NEVER QUESTIONED her ability. Nope. Didn't take note of it at all. I'm not going to believe that. That is poor writing.

I get how she doesn't want to make friends, but the fact she still doesn't bother to restrain herself from giving responses based on peoples thoughts is.... it's like she's picking a fight with everyone, like she wants to be hated by everyone. There's a difference between having no friends and being hated. This is why I also say she's self-pitying.

Anything else?

The breakdown after the woman took the cat away, imo that happened because of the emotional buildup she experienced after all the horrible things she has received and those feelings just happened to explode when the cat was taken away

The mother and father part, you realized that her mother has tried going to many doctors even she thought that Kotoura is being possessed with evil spirit right? Probably, the parents just don't know that she has ability to read people mind or at least don't want to accept the fact that she has that kind of ability because if they accept it, their secrets will be revealed. That's why they (including her friends) consider Kotoura a threat

Quoted it from the other forum
"But there's a subtler message behind it, and that's the fact that the reason Kotoura-san is such an outcast is because of the gap that exists between people's desires and what they say and do. Of course no one likes to be reminded of that gap, and that makes Kotoura a threat."

And lastly she was just a child, she didn't realized that her ability is abnormal at first and thought that it was okay to let out all of her mind-reading works. And what could she do if her friends know her ability to read mind and end up hating her? If you find someone who can read your mind, what will you do? but, I can't deny that she purposely making herself being hated by her friends to make them get away from her and lacking restraint to not giving responses because she doesn't want the same thing happen again in the future.

Just my thought, can be right or wrong :)
Jan 10, 2013 7:44 PM
Aug 2011
That was the best first episode this season so far.

When I saw the PVs a while back all I could think was, "It's cheap looking and has ugly noses."
Needless to say it surprised me.

I don't want Kotoura to be sad and isolated but the pervert guy jokes might get a little old.
Hopefully it mixes it up with the comedy.
Jan 10, 2013 7:50 PM

May 2011
Good god this anime is sad as fuck. ;_;
Hope this keeps up, I need more FEELS.
Jan 10, 2013 7:59 PM

Jun 2012
The beginning was great, but then it all seemed like a joke and that I got trolled when the drama was quickly overturned by comedy (not a transition I like that much). I am also unsure that I like their personalities, which would make this series that much harder to enjoy. And it seems that the anime only cares about his thoughts when they can present comedy, Kotoura even asked something like "really?", when she can just read his mind anyway.
I really like the ED, but it seemed very unfitting for such comedy (just my opinion).
3/5.

Jan 10, 2013 8:05 PM

Jul 2012
loved the first episode :D , cant help but hate the mom and dad
Jan 10, 2013 8:23 PM
Oct 2012
The beginning was very intense and hard to watch. It was a great debut though. I never wanna see that beginning again, it was actually too much for me.... lol
Jan 10, 2013 8:53 PM

Oct 2012
This is surely a surprise... Awesome first episode
-"No one can escape time, it delivers us all to the same end. You can't plug your ears and cover your eyes. And so it begins." Pharos
Jan 10, 2013 9:10 PM

Jul 2011
wow. just wow. What a depressing start. And depressing, as in make a knot in my throat and get my eyes teary feeling bad for the girl.

WrathSC said:
worst fucking parents

Exactly. They were the ones who were doing wrong, not her. And they just left her because she would tell the truth.

Well that's how they made everyone in her past seem like.

I'm just glad her grandpa was more understanding, even though she lives alone now.

But the second half was better. Kanabe is a really great character. He was hilarious. And I hope those two become best friends! :D

Excited about next episode in which we'll meet the blue haired girl. :D
Jan 10, 2013 9:13 PM

Jun 2011
Definitely going to continue with this (also with oreshura). Best episode I've seen from the winter season so far.
Jan 10, 2013 9:15 PM

Apr 2012
Definitely looking forward to watching this this season.

Jan 10, 2013 9:24 PM
May 2009
More.... Give... Me... MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 10, 2013 9:40 PM

Dec 2011
Really interesting first episode...I almost cry in the first part and that anime deserve to be watch
Jan 10, 2013 9:41 PM

Oct 2008

Wow...
Just wow...

This episode was a roller coaster.
The first half was perfect. It transitioned so seamlessly from scene to scene, from happiness to the depths of despair. Everything just fit so well. The music. The colours. The facial expressions. Thee fact that they made us imagine in our heads the scream that Kotoura made after they took away the cat. I truly and wholeheartedly went along into the black rabbit hole that they so masterfully created.
I don't think I could have asked for a better character setup and backstory for Kotoura.

They also handled Manabe really well. They nailed his laid-back, yet reliable personality. You can really see the chemistry between Kotoura and Manabe. He certainly is the perfect person to compliment Kotoura.

If the producers are able to produce such an emotionally compelling backstory, I can only see great things out this anime. They now have the Herculean task of maintaining the extremely high expectations that they have now set. After such a stunt, I can expect that this anime won't be all candy and rainbows onwards. We'll have some comedic episode, but I'm sure the producers will be the talent behind the first part of the episode to good use.

Dynamic character chemistry, divine soundtrack, great pacing. Without doubt, the best first episode of the season. This IS the sleeper hit.
I am recommending this anime to friends as we speak.
I'm honestly at the point of thinking that even Shaft's offering won't be able to match this, the show which I will be watching right after this.
OmniknightJan 10, 2013 9:44 PM
Jan 10, 2013 9:46 PM
Oct 2012
From the director of to love ru and the yuru yuris, and the writer of the yuru yuris, I sure as hell wasn't expecting that. 10/10, hoping the rest of the season turns out just as well.
Jan 10, 2013 9:49 PM
Jan 2013
First Minute:
- Kids are going to school (probably aged 13-15)
o There is a repulsing circle surrounding a girl with coloured hair, everyone else is portrayed as “generic” with black hair, interspersed with male-male and female-female companions, implied that she has a problem with others in some way with some special ability, or physical appearance, characteristic, tendency or behaviour (00:12)
o The camera zooms in and BGM 001 plays, slightly anticipative-mystery tone (00:14)
o A white back screen plays and the girl turns around with lifeless eyes and an apathetic expression, with rosy cheeks (00:19)
o The girl is quite small, petite and has her arms concaved-inwards (00:20)
o Everyone around her are making repulsive hand gestures (girls and guys) and staring at her as if she were a mystical girl with “bad omen”, silent background noise of rambling rumours can be heard (00:22)
o A possible backflash of the girl or someone as a baby unfolds, while being carried by a possibly gentle mother (00:25)
o A nurse, a businessman (possible husband), and a senior businessman (possibly coworker or boss) all appear to congratulate the mother on her birth of the child, the mother holds with a caring smile of her tender baby with her arms in a maternal matter (00:27)
o The mother with black hair and purple eyes (possibly quiet, gentle and caring – portrayed archetype) starts crying out of love and joy (00:30)
o She brushes her face against the baby’s body (00:31)
o The mother attempts to wake up a girl known by the name as Haruka (possibly late for school, or soon to be late) – this is most probably just a flashback of either her mother or a memory that Haruka holds (she might be the baby) (00:33)
o The mother wants Haruka to eats breakfast, implied with “Breakfast is ready” (00:37)
o The girl turns around in her bed and makes a reluctant nyuu noise (00:39)
o The girl asks whats for breakfast and the mother replies happily and playfully “What could it be?” (00:45)
o The girl replies in anticipation, implying she had eggs before and that she also enjoys it (00:46)
o The mother responds shockfully as if eggs were bad, or perhaps she doesn’t have eggs, or that it was unexpected that her daughter likes eggs or would’ve guessed correctly (00:48)
o The mother confirms the latter (00:50)
o The girl jumps towards her mother with open arms (probably aged 4-6) (00:52)
o The mother plays a “breakfast mother role” in the family, implying she pours coffee for her husband as such, a generic husband appears from the back scene of the three at the table (00:55)
o The husband respectfully replies “Yes”, but his face is left out, as the girl’s cuteness is shown with chibi-style cheeks (00:58)
o She responds with a guess that father wants tea, the two face towards her in awe, possibly because the guess was correct and that the father was lying about his preference but subtly didn’t want to bother her wife so much, and that coffee was tolerable or just as okay anyways (1:03)
Second Minute
- Cont
o She asks if that’s true, confirming the suspicion of the latter (listening to her daughter’s suggestion) (1:05)
o The father responds hesitantly, as if he were somehow accused of having to just passively say “Yes, that’s good…” although not wanting to be cumbersome to his wife (1:06); facial animations of the mother are pretty lacking with ugly downwards eyes, and an unhappyish face
o The father starts laughing subtly at himself in order to reduce the tension of the situation (1:07)
o The father responds with quite a disturbance of possibly, her precognitive powers of seeing through people (1:09)
o She replies with a “What?” expression, and a timeskip scene appears between her and other schoolchildren in elementary school playing some kind of game against her, there are spectators and fat children in the upper left corner (1:12)
o Haruka wins, possibly further suggesting her unconscious precognitive powers, a girl stands in surprise and she jumps happily with the result of rock-paper-scissors (1:13)
o Apparently, there was some kind of “fault penalty” as Yun-chan is now “it” with another chibi-“Ohh, you can’t be serious Haruka. Again?” look (1:17)
o The girl besides her says how its always unfair as shes picking on them as the “it” – losers, implying the game has the winner getting the privilege of making another person be “degraded as it” (1:19)
o The teacher comes in and remarks on how shes so good at the game, she is conveniently “observant” (1:25)
o The teacher challenges her and we (the viewers) probably know she “will lose”; this series might be about a genius child or awkward—out of context child with the first foreshadowing overpowering her classmates and those above her in age and experience, thus isolating her as such later on (1:28)
o The teacher expectedly loses, and goes “kaaaa” playfully (1:33)
o The other girl remarks on her sad lost (1:36)
o She says its “easy” and another boy stares at her (with a fat face, possibly making us more subtly understanding of his expression of “Geez, she wins everything. Isn’t she just so cool? *Sarcasm*) (1:38)
o She says its easy because they all say what they’re going to shoot, but the teacher goes “What”, further reinforcing us of her precognition powers or mind-understanding problems (1:41)
o She prides herself with her parents sitting at their stylish home with decorative 17th, 18th century reconnaissance furniture (implying spoiled child, perhaps)… at how she received a backpack from grandpa (traditional, everyone treats child well society) (1:46)
o The mother remarks on how shes cute and the father possibly subtly hating her or implying ironic comment remarks on how much she has “grown” (his face is left out, with a slightly deep-toned voice) (1:52)
o She remarks “don’t call be a shorty” at her father, confirming my suspicions of her psychic powers (1:56)
o We get an aerial view of the four girls in a group with her and boys playing around (stereotype) – typical scene of any school in Japanese society, asks if “they like any boy” even before puberty (she’ll probably respond, and shock everyone again—further implying everyone hates her in the future) (1:59)
- First 5 minutes
We get an overview introduction of the girl since her birth, her elementary school experience and her current state via flashbacking (backstory development). We get evidence of how she became as such to be.
o The two girls reply about how boys are so immature, and no possible way (girls, once again lying or being embarrassed of admitting such a thing—common in childhood; not being honest with their feelings) (2:04)
o The three reply and face towards her (2:07)
o She replies darkly with a light tone “Why are you all lying?” (2:09) – ignorance of concept of embarrassment, and possible societal tendencies, also once again confirming my future-hate flashback-flashfoward hypothesis; the three girls simultaneously change their shocked expression (2:10)
o She further hurts them by saying the truth, Aya-Chan likes Kousuke-kun, Mai-Chan likes Hajime-kun and Kaoru-chan likes Kousuke-kun too (not sure why all girls and boys need to love “one person automatically at any given age, for no reason anyways…) (Up to 2:21)
o The girls don’t respond to her back at “How..? [sona..]” but instead one of the girls trigger the conflict with the other girl in the defensive posture—she lies again so that she doesn’t have to hurt her friend’s feelings or be in a conflicting friend love-triangle relationship (2:23-2:27)
o She further hurts the defensive girl by pulling up the girl’s love history, as if it were a document; implication of time being a factor for having the other girl being guilty of having her feelings, when her friend “loves him more”; she seems to be able to use the ability passively at anytime without any side effects, the girl retort s in embarrassment (2:29-2:34)
o The other girl lies again, she is able to explain her “love for him” story (guy saves girl, girl loves guy—same trip-and-save story anyone?) (2:40)
o Guys conveniently all bunch in and listen (2:46)
 Why do Japanese schoolkids always have to bunch in when “love” is mentioned, or when such a thing is overheard, immediately pending the everyone-knows-about-this-situation plot device, and then a regression of character relationship occurs, possibly triggering worse scenarios? (-1 for plot device)
o She remarks “that’s great”—hinting that she is happy that her friends can confess to him immediately, yet her friends aren’t ready possibly (2:48)
o Instead, she sees through him and of course requited love (2:50)
o She initiates a series of events, and he retracts his opposing feelings for fear of embarrassment and thus, like I thought earlier, hurts her and as such he feels sorry with a relapsing gasp… (2:52-2:56)
o The girl hates her instigative ability, followed by the other girls (3:01)
 I also dislike the chain X-Y-Z “I hate you” scenarios, we get a build-up of character guilt or character non-understanding of their wrongdoings or a character acting in revenge against society because they lose all their friends, or possibly being in complete “isolation” until a male protagonist comes again and picks “her up” to “cure her over the course of the series” (-1 for plot device)
 Directing is good thus so far (+0.5 remedial point)
o No more friends (3:04)
o Her mother replies with shocking eyes, and in disbelief, possibly to an authority figure or her ex-friend’s parents at how her daughter is accused of being a compulsive liar (3:06)
o This women (probably a teacher) replies at how everything she says is “untrue”, although she knows the truth herself but probably heard from the children about this incident. She is sweating. (3:08)
o Sitting at the library room, the mother further “cannot believe such a thing” (3:13)
o The women talks about the situation and the incident and my suspicions about the parents complaining were true (3:14-3:16)
o A dark-toned background with a displacing scene of some girl (her being older? The mother?) putting down his jacket with his slithering-disbelief-of-daughter tone comes about “I’ll let you take care about that”—hinting at their action in response to their daughter’s misdemeanor, isolation perhaps. The mother is hesitant about using such “restraints” (3:19-3:22)
o A distasteful scene of the husband’s blatant sexist or hateful attitude of shoving all the responsibility to the mother as her “role” and once again removed face is shown, another convenient excuse with his “early work tomorrow [shigoto]” (3:24-3:26)
o The mother is now in a state of anger (her future sure looks meek..), holding her daughter’s hand against her will and bringing her to some location… (3:30) for deliquents?
o A doctor’s office and his prognosis (3:32)
o Intermediate interspersing emotional stimulus response flashing of her walks of frustration, and the doc’s advice appear—she’s normal! *gasp* (3:36)
o Further directing of X->Y->Z escalation, prognosis of other doctors—no one can understand her “scenario” probably… (3:40)
o Last pan-zoom up, great mother to crazy-mother-in-distress-throw-objects at daughter anyone? (3:42)
 Also dislike the plot device of really nice people to really mean people (usually exaggerated hyperbolic a behaviour extremity change in times of short temporary cascades of dire distressing emotional states) (-0.5 for plot device)
o The doctor responds “how rude!” – final kegpowder scene about to happen (3:43), a nurse kicks her mother out (da fak)
o The girl is now in a conflicting state of the adults’ disgust of her, not knowing what is she doing wrong (3:52) – we are meant to be sympathetic to her cause, her ability will probably be inherited due to supernatural circumstances or crazy-science, or ahem spontaneously generating beings of great power that suddenly appear
o The mistress in damsel glints with waning pupils at her daughter (3:55) ah…
o The girl cries, we also have to cry (3:57); no one will play with her
 At this point, I recommend everyone telling her about how she is hurting everyone with her truths and that she should not use her ability openly as sometimes humans can’t handle it. After that we re-integrate her into society and just tell everyone that she can read minds. Problem resolved, child relationships and development into adulthood no longer divulged and digressed from path of normality. Of course, this can’t happen or the story will.. end
o She’s a creepy girl that says weird things (4:03); mother does not know what to do (4:06)
o Phone rings, child must be X’ed [abandoned?.. or father lost his job?..either way family destroyed ]
 We get this phone call in the midst of the times of crisis, further escalation. Slightly negative rating, but okay (4:09)
o When will father come home? I guess he really hates her. (4:12)
o Wowowowowow, he left them. LOL! Further excuses with his work and displacement from family, towards love hotel @ night anyone? (4:16-4:20)
o She now enters berserk mode and all hell breaks loose “hyperbolic behaviour extremity change in times of short temporary cascades of dire distressing emotional states” BEGINS (4:22)
o She goes to the shrine (4:25) … no one can help her daughter
o So she becomes an alcoholic (4:36), beer bottles, dark candles.
o Papa will return tomorrow the girl says, SHUT UP crazy-ass-mother yells (4:47)
o As expected, she throws something (4:50)
 Because we can’t get enough of parents yelling and throwing stuff
 Essentially they’re using this cheap development as the cause-and-effect for her behaviour in the future (heredity vs environment); kinda preferred stronger character justification for future behaviour but meh (4:50)
 The daughter now enters repressive mode as she sees her mother’s darker side (4:53)
 Scarred family, neither mother nor father wants to see… (5:00)
 Grandpa now takes care of the estate (5:02). Moma angry, drunk. Papa cheat. Logical.
 She realises society vs her conflict (5:13), papa comforts her (5:17)
 She reminiscences of her memories and possibly searches for why others hate her (5:22)
 Of course, father never obliges. I also dislike the plot device of promise-but-BREAK it or TOO-BUSY-for-you (usually parents, and then of course… children needs attention, a lack of it means development into psychopath) (5:28)
 Papa g2g tonite, mama g2g tonite (oshit, they burn house down or something?, smiling with evilish mindset) (5:34)
 Affair (as predicted) for both parents, daddy goes too much so mama does too; Hotel with AKIKO and dinner with MASTER YOSHINO (5:41) – deranged family alert.
Anime has high predictability, poor plot devices, good directing, but lacks originality for sure (5:41)
o The parents turn to her and blame, and scapegoat her now. (Da fak. Just f’ing admit that you two don’t love eachother anymore or that you’re drifting apart…) (6:00)
o The two leave the estate to their grandpa, walks out with no regret (6:13)
o Mother loves, mother knocks daughter back with F/Zero Purple-Girl-Creepy-Eyes (expected) (6:39)
o Girl gains I-Want-To-Kill-You-Yandere eyes (6:49)
o And the usual… If you did not exist, my life would of been well (6:55)
o Followed by… swift hair, a snap turnaround, white into oblivion disappearance and reduced dramatic silence, papa-futile 3-step chase, ugly-character subordinate or forgettable-character useless stop remark and an anguished irksome face (6:59-7:07)
o She apologizes (7:08) but with batshit code geass eyes (7:12), foreshadowing the retribution future series of inflicting harm through “sorryful acts”
o She becomes apathetic to being the root of all evil entity lurking around the corners (7:17) [writing on desk, still cued chigau? Brilliant resilience of non-crazeness yet….]
o Everyone knows she can read minds, and forces her repressed mind into absolute oblivion (7:26)
o Monster, monster chant (7:28) with spiraling-dizzling-dazzling confusal-vomit-inducing spins of 360 degrees I-want-to-kick-schoolchildren scene and dark undertoned background phaseouts
o The girl denies it, with an echoing dialogue-ish voice, and reduced background chanting. Now hinting at a possible reset button or wake-up from nightmare scene or sudden impulse scene (7:36)
o More girls feel sorry for her (shy behind) and angry girls (leader in front) scenes, flashbacks unspiral (7:37) at light speeds in playgrounds, because we all know that beautiful sunset after-school scenes are more dramatic
o The girl accuses her of laughing and stomping on them, but no one told her the ethics of mind-reading and of course it’s just a misunderstanding, but she won’t believe her. She laughed because she can’t understand why people LIE which would solve the problem if everyone told her about her remarkable power, and why she shouldn’t use it in the first place (yet such negative reinforcement should of meant she ought of known by then to stop using it?) (7:46)
o She walks back in the present with haunting backstory scenes (and cheery voices of I hate you)—it’s probably ceremonial entrance day, episode 1 (8:00)
o Dramatic music, with fading existence black-cut in scene put in, sepia backframe and guilty-posture frames set in (8:01)—memory lane begins (being alone hurts as a human)
o Man girls are mean (lol wat, you need to whisper to other girl 10 cm away, and other girl does silly-face, bullying is acceptable for character development, of course the teachers don’t mind cause, er—everyone hates her)
o She finds a cat, another plot device used to relieve loneliness—cheery face with meow and non-understanding of humans + lonely girl with psychic power means happy! (maybe? Or not?) (8:18)
o So we now understand her ability has the capability to read the conscious, unconscious and preconscious, but limited to of human nature, human emotions, human thoughts, words and feelings (very convenient for us) –thus she must live with other animals! (8:29)
o Nope, the cat leaves too.. (the OR rick-rolling-I-made-a-friend-scene?) followed by the I-cared-for-you-but-now-I-drop-shopping-bag scene (8:34)
o Angry woman comes in to hurt her feelings more, forget what I said, but that woman removed her only friend(8:36-8:43)—further plot device to hate humanity
o Now it’s the true I-declare-bat-shit-dramatic-strare-up-rain-because-its-also-considered-gloomy-dramatic effect-scream-over-9000-I HATE THE WORLD scene (9:03), okay some elfen lied camera panning with transformation of girl to monster moth time—perfectly orchestrated tragic girl hero BGM plays too
o We return to 00:00
o She declares transferring out, to start a whole new school life, and find friends! (:3) (9:32) –clean slate. Pinker was always right. Lol, troublemaker. We’re meant to feel hate for this adult too. (9:36)
o Maybe the teacher got her transcripts? A pain. (9:53) Soon enough, we’ll see some boy or girl brave enough to withstand the test of her mind-reading. Nope, everyone automatically gains hate power for her notoriety (Manabe, huh..) (10:01)
o If only everyone would ignore me (first beginning line of her backstory, describing her entire life in a sentence), typical male looks out apathethic and soon-to-befriend-her scene coming (10:07)
o Interesting protagonist (in his mind, hes daydreaming of western horses and exotic creatures) (10:21)
o She notices his weirdness, and then “achievement : you have gained a friend with humanified expression” appears (10:31)
o Of course, back undertone becomes cracked. Now its white limelight. (10:39)
STORY BEGINS AT 10:39 12:08 AFTER OP [EPISODE 01]

Prediction :
Mad, nice girl (red hair). Oh-my hugging cute things (blue hair). Computer perv (shortie). Generic brownhead with hateable characteristics (his group). Cute-ditzy girl (her).
o Class begins with everyone looking at her. She reads a book alone. (12:17)
o Somebody walks up in the steps. Probably one of the characters from the OP (12:19)
o A nice girl confronts her and asks where shes from. Her friend is behind, possibly implying shes intimidated or that this girl is leading her. But unlikely, since her pose is not off-guard, so possibly inviting them to the group as friends. (12:22)
o Nevermind, shes class rep. And everyone knows class reps don’t love responsibilities of welcoming them. (12:29) So hypothesis one still stands.
o Moritani stops him from talking to her. Interesting stuff ensues, I think (12:58)
o She invites him, he blatantly declares refusal to go to her house (13:06)
o Her house is a karate dojo, so these individuals are all weird. Because they’re weird, they can befriend her. (13:09)
o She helps him with his self-pride, and probably is going to explain how Moritani loves him… hehe (13:28)
o Okay so her ability is passive, can’t be turned off, and she is literally incapable of shutting up when she reads minds. (13:35)
o She alienates herself over the next three weeks (timeskip directing) by using her analytical brain powers (13:42), basically she prefers being ignored over having relationships that will hurt her
o Protagonist eats together (13:55), interested in her.
o Everyone looks with “what?” and of course the generic guys with generic girls sitting and eating next to eachother never go eh when they eat together. Only when strange girls that transfer eat. (13:57)
o Background “just wait a sec-“ sounds appear (13:59)
o Comedic relief minute with character interaction, (14:27). (+1 rating)
o Lol, so he finally gives her advice about overusing her magic. (14:41)
o Showing emotions again, interesting. (14:48)
o Now we get the protagonist-loves-girl, girl-reluctant-attention-mode and then girl-loves-protagonist train begins (15:27) [Hmph.. this guy hes annoying]
o The protagonist speaks out his thoughts, essentially hes compatible with her. First time this happens, shes probably ticked on or something [fishy…] (15:52)
o She admires his stupidity with her cute baka and resounding love at first sight appears (15:53)
o He plans to dominate the world with her secret power if he had it. She thinks about her bad past, and calls him baka. Nothing cool about it. And he’ll probably prove her wrong.(16:09)
o She runs off.. Romance flag one unlocked. Attempt #2 tomorrow at school (16:21)—activate the guy save the girl in distress about her problems mode (SAO, The world god only knows, Hayate no Gotoku)
o Roof-top isolation and looking for her (16:24)
o Eroticism starts, she’ll probably read it (16:41) [Flustered on inside, anger on outside]
o Bag kick or something… after bubble pops (16:50)
o She runs back in embarrassment.. romance flag two unlocked (16:52).. lol just his plot to bring her back
o Mph, cute look away [Get away from me. I want a friend, someone, anyone. You’re going to end up being hurt like the others. I love you. “He probably thinks I’m digusting”]. No that can’t be. (17:15)
o Lol, perverted scenes got to be kept in check (17:27)
o Not scared? (Romance flag three activated) (17:34)
o So she lives in an apartment, looks like newly packed, decently funded. (17:45)
o Never met such a weirdo, what a relief. (17:49) Dame. Gotta stop that love. (17:55)
o …. Explore history line by hitting it where it hurts : Great that y’all help yo family. I live alone. (18:30) [She’s really interesting]
o She saves him via her psychic power. Its green but truck comes (pretty convenient that trucks always kill people plot device]. Cuz she knows truck can’t stop. (18:39) – Romance path activated
o Dramatic crushed carton of milk or bike or –insert object here- and –reversal-girl-on-guy- (18:46)
o Her power CAN SAVE PEOPLE. NEW REALIZATION. NEW HOPE. (18:56)
o She ascribes herself via what other say of her. So basically, the more people say stuff about you. The more ya believe it. And of course, he’s going to say, yo not a creep. You’re cool. ♥ Also don’t forget the –i-love-you-quick-explain-all-5,000-words-feeling-of-my-heart preceeded by a sweet kiss or sudden hug or grab by deferring those feelings of self-guilt, self-hatred with love. This time, it’s a thanks. (19:05)
o I’m hurt? No big deal. Lies. Damn Lies. (19:14)
o Arigatou. (19:24) – 1,000 anime flashback. Cut. Perfect girl cut, character development scene.
o Confirmed hypothesis (19:31) “I can’t control it”—now that shes older, she understands. (19:38)

o Ya, ya. I’m vulnerable. So I now tell you my story cut scene. (19:50)

o Is that okay with you? (20:04) – 1,000 anime flashback. Cut. Perfect boy cut, character development scene. We now expect the character to do the opposite of pushing everyone away from them (isn’t it usually girls?.. wonder why)

o I don’t want to be alone. The people I love hurt me. K. (20:15)

o Dramatic Minute Monologue of her powers and her feelings and protagonist consoling her (20-21)

o Resolution : People who leave will leave anyways. But there’s some that won’t. Yup shallow people always leave. True true. Brownie points (20:41)

o Now it’s boy move into girl’s home. Not the reverse. I like this.. (20:52)

o Overjoyed happiness, teary eye with uguuu~~. Cool pose with a short swift double wink and a short puff of air. [symbolization of friendship in every anime] (20:56)

o Comedic relief (21:11) through meta-anime reverse psychology (viewer look at you perspective)

o He’s talking to her via his thoughts. Kekeke. (21:37)

o Obligatory handshake of either male to female or female to male to know that they’re loved, wanted. (21:41) and some romantic comedy night-starry BGM undertone (yeah-yeah + name confirmation) (21:47)

Predicted Rating : 7.530 - 8.220 / 10.00
Predictability before events happen : 10.00 / 10.00
Character Animation : 5.00 / 10.00 (Average)
Soundtrack Quality : 6.25 / 10.00 (Generic, Above Average)
Voices : 6.00 / 10.00 (Average)
Plot : 4.25 / 10.00 (Weaker than average)
Characterization (Depthness) : 7.20 (Good)
Character Dynamics : 7.00 (Good)
Entertainment : 7.50 (Very Good)
Directing : 8.10 (Great)
Execution : 7.75 (Very Good)
Dramatic Effect : 8.00 (Great)
Meaningfulness : 4.00 (Probably not much)
Coherence and Logicality : 8.50 (Followable, straight-forward)
Genre Rating : 7.00 (Good, definitely above average to others in same genre)
Pacing : 8.00 (Great, no issues here)

Potential Routes Taken :
Comedic relief, weird characters introduced (future episodes) (downgraded ratings)
Serious Plot Development against evil characters (maybe)
Alternative dramatic scenes, with love triangles and stuff (maybe)

A -- most likely.
C -- could happen.
B -- unlikely.

Genre : Romantic-Comedy.
Initial Appeal : Premise + Appeal to Emotions of Viewer via Sympathy
Reliance : Character Dynamics and Personification with Comedic Relief
-- i.e. C3 -- (strong downgrade with incoherence)
-- i.e. Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakusoku (strong downgrade with incoherence) generality)
-- i.e. Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (downgrade with generality, moderate entertainment)
-- i.e. Seitokai no Ichizon (downgrade with lower entertainment)
-- i.e. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (downgrade with moderate entertainment)
-- i.e. Baka no Test (downgrade with higher entertainment)
-- i.e. Sakurasou no Pet (upgrade with moderate drama)
-- i.e. Toradora (higher upgrade with strong drama)

Transformation to epic plot storyline : Probably not.
SomePersonJan 10, 2013 10:50 PM
Jan 10, 2013 9:59 PM
Nov 2009
Finally something worth watching in this new season. Loved the first episode
Jan 10, 2013 10:00 PM
Aug 2011
^^H O L Y S H I T
Jan 10, 2013 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
Moshikashite I just saw Winter's best anime right now?! And it wasn't in my watch list either!

5/5 for episode 1!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 10, 2013 10:13 PM

Apr 2009
Can't wait for more.
Jan 10, 2013 10:15 PM

May 2012
This is the stuff of legends.

Boy, am I impressed by Kotoura-san.
Jan 10, 2013 10:18 PM
Dec 2012
Quite interesting show. The female lead is so dumb and hilarious I couldn't help but laugh all the time.
I expected this series to be so dark as Higurashi and Elfen Lied, but as far as seeing the ED, it seems a romcom in a twisted way. This episode was enjoyable and I like this anime already. Will keep watching.
eminagnamJan 10, 2013 10:24 PM
Jan 10, 2013 10:22 PM

Nov 2010
Nice, nice, my favorite so far.
Jan 10, 2013 10:33 PM

Apr 2012
eminagnam said:
The female lead is so dumb and hilarious I couldn't help but laugh all the time.

Not sure if serious...

Epic first episode! I didn't even know this anime existed until I saw a random YouTube comment mention it and now I think this could possibly be the best offering of the year (or at the very least, of the season).

Jan 10, 2013 10:40 PM

Feb 2012
that was nice ... started out so depressing and then went a 360 into a comedy
Jan 10, 2013 10:59 PM

Apr 2010
The first half of the episode drove a nail through my soul.

But then it got better the moment when the world as she knew it was shattered. I love it when that happens. And I think I'm going to really love this show.

Jan 10, 2013 11:04 PM

Apr 2010
JacTheRipper said:
that was nice ... started out so depressing and then went a 360 into a comedy

I think you mean 180.

Jan 10, 2013 11:06 PM

Jul 2012
Holy frick
Expectations through the roof

This might turn out to be my favorite of the season if it can keep this up.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Jan 10, 2013 11:09 PM

Nov 2011
Quite a nice episode, this show seems promising. I think thing would have been better if Kotoura keep everything she heard in her mind only in her mind, I mean why would you tell out loud what everyone is thinking about? Anyone logically will be uncomfortable if their thoughts known by others.

Jan 10, 2013 11:22 PM
Jan 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
Quite a nice episode, this show seems promising. I think thing would have been better if Kotoura keep everything she heard in her mind only in her mind, I mean why would you tell out loud what everyone is thinking about? Anyone logically will be uncomfortable if their thoughts known by others.

Thats what I said above with the negative reinforcement feedback loop.

She can't help it is what shes saying.
At 13 minutes or less, I realized her power is limited to human beings, feelings and thoughts, and its passively always on. Somehow it is also passively making her say whats shes reading too. (otherwise it would never be a problem, if everyone took steps to know that she can read minds, and to tell her to just keep it to herself; thus the anime would be finished and we wouldn't be here voting).

She did say later in the episode that its not "controllable" --albeit I don't think she has to say the things out loud though. Meh.

Plus the fact that she can read thoughts like her mother cheating on her father, but only to a certain level like her eating out with some guy, but not her motive is pretty "conveniently" done away with. Thus I agree with the guy below to some degree. The fact that she can't understand why other people are lying is well.. I'm not sure whether to call her dumb or not (at such an age). However, I also don't see why the school children couldn't just be honest, theres nothing really shameful about liking a guy that your friend also likes, even with albeit minor social embarrassment.

eminagnam said:
Quite interesting show. The female lead is so dumb and hilarious I couldn't help but laugh all the time.
I expected this series to be so dark as Higurashi and Elfen Lied, but as far as seeing the ED, it seems a romcom in a twisted way. This episode was enjoyable and I like this anime already. Will keep watching.

However, some of the plot devices used were not very high quality. I think it sort of detracted from the anime.
Particularly...
- Notoriety from rumour (Don't see why everyone suddenly only notices A when love-related stuff occurs, yet generic people are okay. Or suddenly A-B-C groups come up conveniently when needed to insult and demean our protagonist) + (Always isolating X-Y-Z characters as main characters through a "Idealized Protagonist-We are jealous" or "They're creepy-leave them alone" or "Hero-save-the-day" theme with classmates, instead of more meaningful interactions-- and this is before she goes on rampantly through wk1-3 making everyone scared, somehow everyone including the teacher goes "ah this girl will be such a trouble")
- Overusage of cynicism towards adults (Whats with father and mother having to be alcoholics and unfaithful in every anime that needs "child is screwed up mentally" background?, nurses kicking mothers out and doctors going crazy over the child dispelling his lies? lol..)
- Convenient setup (X Transfers, Y stares at window generic guy, Y can be "generic" or "characterized through comic relief via interaction with girl")
- Hyperbolized actions taken (Well she could always befriend at week 0 and just not say stuff.. it's convenient that shes selective with what she says. Where it hurts the must, always. lol.. right its to protect herself.. well if you transferred to a new school, it should be blank-slate, new interactions and everything as witnessed with surrounding girls/guys during week 0... and now that shes advanced by "admitting that she knows that telling the truth everyone in their face is not ideal" she could of just developed normal relationships during week 0 instead of going through those 3 weeks being regressive)
- Cont : Don't like how truck drivers are needed to prove "brutality" (Shigofumi, Kurokami)... the hell, they need to run over everyone? I know this activates romance flag 1, 2 and 3 with our protagonist giving her a subtle "Thanks" followed by a swift blush; but blah.

Would be nice to see
- Explanation for her powers (later on) and the limits of it

egnaro315 said:
Being Kotoura sure is suffering. Sort of reminded me of Lucy from Elfen lied except its a cat this time.
I thought the drama at the beginning was part of the comedy but then it was actually serious. Too bad it went on for such a long time that it became melodramatic.
I hope they don't overuse the perverted mind jokes too much because I can see it getting old quick.
I loled at the guy's first thought, the deserted wasteland. That's exactly what goes on in my mind during chemistry.
It was an Okay episode, probably will stick around for some more.

Yeah, said the same thing about Elfen Lied above ^ (melodramatic-- ahem, kill everyone, scream at rain, blurry pan camera anyone?)

After looking back at some of the posts (going back to page thread 6<) :
Looks like my concerns, were shared by others too.
Too many convenient plot devices...

The breakdown after the woman took the cat away, imo that happened because of the emotional buildup she experienced after all the horrible things she has received and those feelings just happened to explode when the cat was taken away

The mother and father part, you realized that her mother has tried going to many doctors even she thought that Kotoura is being possessed with evil spirit right? Probably, the parents just don't know that she has ability to read people mind or at least don't want to accept the fact that she has that kind of ability because if they accept it, their secrets will be revealed. That's why they (including her friends) consider Kotoura a threat

Quoted it from the other forum
"But there's a subtler message behind it, and that's the fact that the reason Kotoura-san is such an outcast is because of the gap that exists between people's desires and what they say and do. Of course no one likes to be reminded of that gap, and that makes Kotoura a threat."

And lastly she was just a child, she didn't realized that her ability is abnormal at first and thought that it was okay to let out all of her mind-reading works. And what could she do if her friends know her ability to read mind and end up hating her? If you find someone who can read your mind, what will you do? but, I can't deny that she purposely making herself being hated by her friends to make them get away from her and lacking restraint to not giving responses because she doesn't want the same thing happen again in the future.

What we got was. Counselor comes, she is sweating (she knows the truth, most likely, although possibly due to confrontation with parents as I predicted before that scene), her daughter is called a compulsive lier, then father cheats and says that she has to deal with it all.

Da fak. Fathers don't need to cheat in every anime. They don't always need to be sexist nor faceless. And they can be more than one dimensional characters. The father lies about the coffee, cause he probably doesn't care. A series of events occur that happen in between day 1 and day mother goes flying out the door. Also I don't see how adults always need to be portrayed as drinking and fighting when shit goes bad, but okay it does happen. They had ample time to know that their daughter could read their minds, and tell her not to tell people the truth in their faces as that could lead to unwanted consequences. Reasons for lying, essentially.

If they really didn't know it, well.. IDK what to say. Because the father leaving the mother implied that the mother started to drift apart from the father and started cheating due to that. But the original cause seems to be the daughter distressing her father and having him stay at light-night love-hotels with his work "co-buddy". Either way, I find it implausible that the father really had to leave it all up to the mother and start acting the way he did in the first place. It seems to me to be more convenient then otherwise characterized considering this was one happy family in the first place. You know it's kind of like school days or sora where contrived plots of revenge happen because uh, when tough times come, they gotta do bad shit.

And that old woman taking away the cat, and being there at that specific time and place just as she drops her bags from encrouching inwards at the box really was also out-of-place. Yeah, good dramatic development. But it felt more forced to me than better developed drama imo.

You don't think it was trying to be emotional? Not even when she finds solace in that abandoned cat, which gets cruelly taken away by some random woman who also tells her to fuck off and never come back, leading her to have an emotional breakdown and scream? Not at all?

SomePersonJan 11, 2013 12:16 AM
Jan 10, 2013 11:34 PM

Sep 2012
Being Kotoura sure is suffering. Sort of reminded me of Lucy from Elfen lied except its a cat this time.
I thought the drama at the beginning was part of the comedy but then it was actually serious. Too bad it went on for such a long time that it became melodramatic.
I hope they don't overuse the perverted mind jokes too much because I can see it getting old quick.
I loled at the guy's first thought, the deserted wasteland. That's exactly what goes on in my mind during chemistry.
It was an Okay episode, probably will stick around for some more.
Jan 10, 2013 11:37 PM

Jul 2012
Wonderful. Gotta say though, I'd love for the animation to maintain a bit of that dark filter from the beginning.
Jan 10, 2013 11:59 PM

Dec 2010
That very well maybe the most depressing start to an anime i have seen, or at least seen in recent memory, didn't expect that kind of depressing past. Seriously though what horrible parents T_T it sure brightened up quickly though, overall such a great start, didn't expect it to be this good, glad i chose to watch this series.
Jan 11, 2013 12:01 AM

Oct 2011
Amarrez said:
I'm really not liking the look of the next episode preview.

The suffering isn't over yet, I think.
Since in the same episode there is a scene when Kotoura starts this "fortune telling" and it's probably this.

Especially as that girl looks like she becomes her friend.
This series will now go into lighthearted rom-com area.
Jan 11, 2013 12:20 AM

May 2012
Holy shit I loved this episode. Definitly a must watch for me.
Jan 11, 2013 12:51 AM

Feb 2010
wow talk about depressing first 10 minutes that totally took me by surprise.
Jan 11, 2013 1:34 AM
Jan 2013
great episode absolutely loved it. For some reason i always go back to the part with the purple fish monster thing O.o
Jan 11, 2013 1:43 AM

Feb 2008
Protip: Do not watch the first 10min of this episodes if you're feeling down.

Good first episode btw.
Jan 11, 2013 1:51 AM

Dec 2011
Didn't expect the first half to be like this. Although an interesting take, the drama happened so fast that it ended up feeling forced to me. I hope the mother comes back at some point. The opening theme seems to suggest it:

Jan 11, 2013 1:57 AM

Dec 2012
Amazing first episode, will probably be my top 5 of 2013, can't wait for more :p
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jan 11, 2013 2:15 AM
Aug 2009
This show looks really promising. Will definitely continue watching.
Jan 11, 2013 2:31 AM

Nov 2011
Man, I almost shed a man-tear from those first 10 minutes. Really got me good...
THEN I FUCKING LOL'D THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH.

'OH NO I CANT HAVE DIRTY THOUGHTS ANYMORE!'

haha what a fantastic start, can't wait for more.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jan 11, 2013 2:42 AM

Nov 2009
I can't believe that this anime is adapted from a four-panel manga

dear god, that was an amazing first episode
Jan 11, 2013 2:48 AM

Sep 2012
Really depressing start and then turned hilarious.
Seems like one of the stronger shows this season.
"Seeing a girl crying is kind of a turn on, you know"
Jan 11, 2013 2:57 AM

May 2010
that was hella sad :(
Jan 11, 2013 3:51 AM

Nov 2009
Raikozen said:
Really depressing start and then turned hilarious.
Seems like one of the stronger shows this season.
"Seeing a girl crying is kind of a turn on, you know"

Better honest than never to a mind reading girl LOL
Jan 11, 2013 4:08 AM
Dec 2012
hahaha.... I can read your minds. :3
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

300 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

272 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.