Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 8, 2013 9:10 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
According to their official press release, Sentai Filmworks has announced their license of the TV anime Tamako Market. The 12-episode series will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release later this year.

Source: Press release (website is currently down)
p r o f i l e đź‘€
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 8, 2013 9:16 PM

Jul 2010
dont even know what the anime is about and their going for it?? a lotta trusting there, though kyoto animation usually delivers i guess.

Jan 8, 2013 9:18 PM

Dec 2012
Another Moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but being cute for the Otaku. >_< Gosh, KyotoAni have not touched Haruhi for 3 years now
Jan 8, 2013 9:20 PM

Aug 2011
ThangLong said:
Another Moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but being cute for the Otaku. >_<
Yeah. Sentai disappoints me more and more everyday.
Jan 8, 2013 10:13 PM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
Another Moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but being cute for the Otaku. >_< now
You don't even know what it is there about this show and takes the knee-jerk reaction that it must be only about moe about fan-service about girls doing nothing but being cute. Calling it that just shows your shallowness and refusal to understand why there are so many people, male and female, who vowed they do not like moe but still became fans of a KyoAni show like K-On or Chuunibyou or Hyouka.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 8, 2013 10:18 PM
May 2012
^ I wholeheartedly agree with you, sir.
Jan 8, 2013 10:51 PM

Feb 2012
Didn't take long for the hate train to roll in.
Jan 8, 2013 10:55 PM
Jan 2013
I really am not a fan of Sentai Filmworks :/
Jan 8, 2013 11:17 PM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
ThangLong said:
Another Moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but being cute for the Otaku. >_< now
You don't even know what it is there about this show and takes the knee-jerk reaction that it must be only about moe about fan-service about girls doing nothing but being cute. Calling it that just shows your shallowness and refusal to understand why there are so many people, male and female, who vowed they do not like moe but still became fans of a KyoAni show like K-On or Chuunibyou or Hyouka.

This is exactly my knee-jerk reaction but the entire synopsis just scream out K-On for me. Since it looks like this is KyotoAni's original works, I hope they have something more in store. Otherwise, I'll skip this one. I don't have anything against Moe, or Moe anime in general but too much sugar is too much
Jan 9, 2013 12:12 AM

Jan 2011
Mite b kool.
[center]
Jan 9, 2013 12:15 AM

Jul 2010
So... does this mean the dub's gonna suck?

(Please note that I'm not a dub hater, but I really don't like Sentai Filmworks' dubbing)
Jan 9, 2013 12:17 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
This is exactly my knee-jerk reaction but the entire synopsis just scream out K-On for me.
A few brief points:
1. Even K=On is not a moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but cute for the Otaku. Otherwise how can you explain the several hundred high schools where schoolgirls formed school band clubs or greatly expanded their music club because they were inspired by the experience of watching K-On?
2. I don't see how the presence of a bunch of male characters (not to say a chicken that seems to be uncannily intelligent) in the main cast in Tamako with synopsis that looks like love comedy gives an impression that it "screams out K-On" for you. They look quite different to me except that both take place in a neighborhood setting with high school students being the main part of the cast.
3. Not liking "too much sugar" is one thing, but jumping to say that such a show (where you personally feel there is too much sugar) is then a show that is only about moe fan-service for otaku is very much off.
symbvJan 9, 2013 12:44 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 9, 2013 12:18 AM
Jan 2013
Tamako knows just about everything there is to know about mochi, the traditional Japanese dessert treats. When she’s not attending her first year of high school, she even invents new flavors and varieties for Tama-ya, her family’s mochi shop. School and growing up, on the other hand, are some things that she’s still trying to find the right recipe for. But with the help of her best friends Kanna and Midori, two girls whose parents run businesses in the same shopping district, Tamako’s determined to make the best of things
aajtak
Jan 9, 2013 12:23 AM

Dec 2010
Sentai Filmworks has veen acquiring a lot of anime lately. Tamako Market is probably going to be one of their best selling.

Jan 9, 2013 12:35 AM

Jan 2012
DraconisMarch said:
ThangLong said:
Another Moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but being cute for the Otaku. >_<
Yeah. Sentai disappoints me more and more everyday.
Your tears, they are delicious.
KiraMustDie said:
The dub would suck either way

Also, while we're at it, the few people who actually care about licensing might be interested in Sentai also acquiring the rights for Sasami-San
bNqJan 9, 2013 12:39 AM
Jan 9, 2013 12:51 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:

1. Even K=On is not a moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but cute for the Otaku. Otherwise how can you explain the several hundred high schools where schoolgirls formed school band clubs or greatly expanded their music club because they were inspired by the experience of watching K-On?

I don't see how my point: "girls doing nothing but cute for the Otaku" contradicts with yours: "how can you explain the several hundred high schools where schoolgirls formed school band clubs." Of course, these shows are popular because Otaku, an integral group within Anime watching community, likes it. If your point was that Moe has wide-spread appeals therefore it's popular then I agree. I certainly like some Moe's characteristics myself, my favorites Kuro and Shana are Moe more or less, however, I shy away from Moe's over saturation.
symbv said:

2. I don't see how the presence of a bunch of male characters (not to say a chicken that seems to be uncannily intelligent) in the main cast in Tamako with synopsis that looks like love comedy gives an impression that is "screams out K-On" for you. They look quite different to me except that both take place in a neighborhood setting with high school students being the main part of the cast

I don't see males as main characters according to MAL, and the talking bird may fill the same role as the cat in Chuunibyou. But then again, we are talking about an original show with no references so I may be wrong. However, according to all the information we have so far, I stand by my first impression.
Anything in my original post on Otaku or Moe are not meant to be negative but just my observation.
Jan 9, 2013 1:07 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
I don't see how my point: "girls doing nothing but cute for the Otaku" contradicts with yours: "how can you explain the several hundred high schools where schoolgirls formed school band clubs." Of course, these shows are popular because Otaku, an integral group within Anime watching community, likes it
You put only one statement (a moe fan-service show for otaku) to describe the show as if the show is made with only pandering to otaku in mind. I am saying that such shows gained wide popularity not only because of otaku but it has appeal to a much broader segment of audience. If it is just a purely moe fanservice show for otaku, I doubt it would have so much popularity.
ThangLong said:
, however, I shy away from Moe's over saturation.
Whether it is moe over-saturation depends on how much moe of the type you notice but feel uncomfortable exists in the show. Plenty of people see moe in a KyoAni show but do not feel annoyed by it, and they find something outside moe in the show they love, and so they can enjoy the show. Calling such show as "moe fanservice show for otaku" just ignores the important existence of such various approach to enjoy a show, even one that may have more moe elements than other shows.

ThangLong said:

I don't see males as main characters according to MAL, and the talking bird may fill the same role as the cat in Chuunibyou.
If you use only MAL as your only source then of course you are seriously underinformed, and yet you allowed yourself to jump to conclusion given such lack of knowledge about the show. This does not look right. Before you form an impression and declare it in public, why not check the trailer, check the official website (even though it is in Japanese, there are pages for the characters that allow a fuller view of who are in the main cast http://tamakomarket.com/character/), check the wiki and anime sites etc... Just to make it short, one of the main lead is a guy. How is it similar to K-On then? As for the talking bird, you mention Chuunibyou, but you said the synopsis "scream out K-On". Shall we go back to talk about why the talking bird makes you feel like the show "screams out K-On"? Besides, does the cat in Chuunibyou also talk like human?
symbvJan 9, 2013 1:13 AM

Jan 9, 2013 1:10 AM

Mar 2011
ThangLong said:
Another Moe fan-service show about girls doing nothing but being cute for the Otaku. >_< Gosh, KyotoAni have not touched Haruhi for 3 years now

Not your type of show I guess, you just dislikes this type of what you call "Moe" show, generalizing almost all of KyoAni's shows into the "moe" type which I think is a shallow thinking. I think the "cute" part only took a small portion on the shows KyoAni has done except for K-On.
But I recommend you to watch the real show first before stating that this is what you called a "moe" fan-service show

And from what I know most people doesn't watch KyoAni's shows just because of "moe", there are more things that probably you couldn't see that attracts people to like those shows. If you already have a prejudice about it, I don't think that you will be able to enjoy the show to the fullest
Firixizu_MintJan 9, 2013 1:15 AM
Jan 9, 2013 1:11 AM

Apr 2011
I really like dubs sometimes, the transition from hearing dialogue in Japanese and my mind scrambling to translate it (That is, when I watch raws before subs) to hearing it in my native language is relaxing.
However, I am not fond of the dubbing that Sentai does, and I hope that this anime won't be butchered as well.
Jan 9, 2013 2:00 AM

Jun 2010
KyoAni haters will always flood KyoAni news related articles.

Oh well.

supermegasonic said:
dont even know what the anime is about and their going for it?? a lotta trusting there, though kyoto animation usually delivers i guess.

^This. Sentai seems pretty confident.
Jan 9, 2013 2:35 AM

Oct 2012
KiraMustDie said:

(Please note that I'm not a dub hater, but I really don't like Sentai Filmworks' dubbing)
Jan 9, 2013 3:44 AM

Mar 2008
supermegasonic said:

I don't think this is completely true. To license it, I'm sure Sentai and KyoAni have been negotiating and KyoAni have divulged to them details of what the show is about that Sentai are bound to secrecy by. They have no data on the response of viewers to the show so that is a risk but television stations do that all the time. Further it allows Sentai to have some bargaining power in negotiations when the chance of success is unknown.
Jan 9, 2013 4:36 AM

Dec 2011
eh, the synopsis doesn't sound very interesting and not my sort of anime anyway. Had a feeling Sentai would license it though.
The_StewardJan 9, 2013 4:39 AM
Jan 9, 2013 5:00 AM

Apr 2008
ThangLong said:
Gosh, KyotoAni have not touched Haruhi for 3 years now

Watch Hyouka before speaking. It's not an otaku bait at all.
Jan 9, 2013 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
hmm the plot looks quite generic, but I'll watch and see since it's the high quality Kyoani animation.

Well, there's nothing original these days anyway (except for shinsekai yori and gintama maybe :-(
Jan 9, 2013 8:27 AM

Oct 2011
As many before me already said and are already hating a product thats not even released yet:p
Fascinating to say the least. Well I think there's a show for everybody, so probably people will like it and some will hate.
Jan 9, 2013 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
AnimeMangaSuki said:
@symbv

This.

I'm gonna try out Tamako Market despite the moeblob/K-On designs throwing me off. It's not like I havent enjoyed KyoAni's works in the past.
Jan 9, 2013 12:21 PM

Jul 2012
NinetyBeats said:
As many before me already said and are already hating a product thats not even released yet:p

Since when is "Art" a product?
Critic.
Jan 9, 2013 1:13 PM

Dec 2012
Naruleach said:
According to their official press release, Sentai Filmworks has announced their license of the TV anime Tamako Market. The 12-episode series will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release later this year.

Has this anime even aired its first episode yet? Yeesh. :/
"Live a good life, leave behind a legacy to be proud of."

I review anime! (via TrashMutant.com): Aldnoah.Zero: http://tinyurl.com/ly6oyr6; Sword Art Online: http://tinyurl.com/mzpks8t; Patema Inverted: http://tinyurl.com/kphmu7t

I also now review manga! (via Bagandbored.net): Chirality - To the Promised Land: http://tinyurl.com/mvblbuo
Jan 9, 2013 3:37 PM

Aug 2012
I am prepared to spend all the money I have in the bank for this release.

NO HESITATION, NO REGRETS, JUST LOVE.
Jan 9, 2013 4:36 PM
Aug 2012
Wow, they must be expecting it to be big if it's already getting licensed.
Jan 9, 2013 4:47 PM

Sep 2011
Pretty much guaranteed to be a moe show, judging by the art.

I don't really care for this kind of shows, I do not get excited or involved watching cute girls doing NOTHING but cute things.

Sigh, why haven't KyoAni touched Haruhi Yet? Even an announcement of consideration would've hyped it up. Like when novel 10 is released, then bam! Announce a season 3 with a full cour list! Would've boosted both the novels and the anime sales/anticipation.

Their marketing strategy seems odd to me, when there is an obvious opportunity to make plenty of success, they don't take it and instead wait until it dries out.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 9, 2013 4:50 PM

Sep 2011
NinetyBeats said:
Fascinating to say the least. Well I think there's a show for everybody, so probably people will like it and some will hate.

Except this thread is showing a company buying before you even get to see what it does.
Jan 9, 2013 5:09 PM

Apr 2010
GodlyKyon said:

I don't really care for this kind of shows, I do not get excited or involved watching cute girls doing NOTHING but cute things.

Sigh, why haven't KyoAni touched Haruhi Yet? Even an announcement of consideration would've hyped it up. Like when novel 10 is released, then bam! Announce a season 3 with a full cour list! Would've boosted both the novels and the anime sales/anticipation.

Their marketing strategy seems odd to me, when there is an obvious opportunity to make plenty of success, they don't take it and instead wait until it dries out.
Because it's not just KyoAni who decides to animate shows; it's an entire production committee of which they are one member of.

So let's run down the list of series/movies they've done since Disappearance.
K-On!! - Pony Canyon/TBS series that was decided in 2009 to have a sequel
Nichijou - Kadokawa series that was decided in 2009 to be animated
K-On! The Movie! 0 Pony Canyon/TBS movie decided in 2009 most likely
Hyouka - Kadokawa series that was decided in 2010 to be animated
Chuunibyou - Pony Canyon/TBS series that was decided in 2010 to be animated
Tamako Market - Pony Canyon/TBS series that was decided in 2010 to be animated

So we're still working on shows that were decided in 2010 to be animated! Next up is likely Kadokawa if Producer Itou still has some clout after his decisions to push Shiraishi so far and the bomb that was Nichijou. He got somewhat demoted after that in Kadokawa. Perhaps we'll see Haruhi next, but who knows. It's not 100% KyoAni's decision, but if they don't want to do it, they won't. Their success with Pony Canyon/TBS will keep them funded and in projects. Not to mention FMP is more likely given Takemoto and Gatou's friendship.

Trust me, I'd love to see more Haruhi animated by KyoAni, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.
Jan 9, 2013 5:12 PM
Mar 2012
I can see why people wouldn't want to watch this show after K-ON to be honest, the idea that this would be a repeat of that sort of show turned me off at first. Though that was mainly because I tend to dislike any show with a cast of all one gender, there are a few exceptions but really they tend to bore me.(I like my shipping)

Hence, when I saw there was a male cast member I decided to give it a chance. But that doesn't change the fact that K-ON has (perhaps justifiably) given people a reason to avoid shows that look similar if they dislike it. It's unavoidable really, but that doesn't mean that you should hate it without looking into it.

Despite my lack of interest in K-ON, I don't consider it a bad anime. It must be more than moe-fanservice because it it's popularity so I wouldn't start to hate on KyoAni because they made one anime which exploded in popularity for a reason that you don't like :P

@Kyon

I wouldn't be surprised if they were saving Haruhi (if they do another season) for a time when they don't have anything else on their plate. The fanbase is unlikely to die out, let's be honest.
Jan 9, 2013 5:58 PM

Jun 2012
GodlyKyon said:

I don't get it either. Haruhi is wildly successful and helped establish them as a premier animation studio.

My guess is that Kyoto Animation is apprehensive about returning to the franchise for another full season. Season 2 was a disappointment and they are probably are afraid that season 3 will a disappointment as well.

Of course, season 2 was a disappointment because of the endless eight. Every other episode of the season, of the franchise, is awesome. Even the endless eight would have been awesome if they would have capped it at 3 or 4.

As long as they avoid any more self-inflicted wounds, they should be fine. Even if season 3 fails to reach the level of season 1, the sales will still be impressive.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 9, 2013 6:30 PM

Nov 2011
Kazekun-Original said:
Naruleach said:

Has this anime even aired its first episode yet? Yeesh. :/

Yes

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 9, 2013 6:35 PM
Apr 2012
GodlyKyon said:

The value of an anime studio lies in how well they promote new franchises.

The thing about Haruhi is that popularity is already established, so KyoAni's most important job is done. Sequels are possible, but they provide more value to the industry by propping up new things - K-ON!, Lucky Star, Hyouka, etc. Pony Canyon and Kadokawa are always looking for the next big hit, so it's only natural that they hire the best teams to adapt previously unknown properties.

The studio also has its own aspirations, which is to promote their original franchises. Chuunibyou and Tamako Market are riskier propositions, but success means far more than a hit Haruhi sequel, simply because they own the copyrights and derive the most profit (whether from DVD/BD sales or other merchandise).
Jan 9, 2013 6:51 PM

Nov 2008
okkyblight said:
KiraMustDie said:

Implying that you couldn't watch it subbed with the superior voice acting.

Jan 9, 2013 7:14 PM

Sep 2011
Kreion said:
I can see why people wouldn't want to watch this show after K-ON to be honest, the idea that this would be a repeat of that sort of show turned me off at first. Though that was mainly because I tend to dislike any show with a cast of all one gender, there are a few exceptions but really they tend to bore me.(I like my shipping)

Hence, when I saw there was a male cast member I decided to give it a chance. But that doesn't change the fact that K-ON has (perhaps justifiably) given people a reason to avoid shows that look similar if they dislike it. It's unavoidable really, but that doesn't mean that you should hate it without looking into it.

Despite my lack of interest in K-ON, I don't consider it a bad anime. It must be more than moe-fanservice because it it's popularity so I wouldn't start to hate on KyoAni because they made one anime which exploded in popularity for a reason that you don't like :P

@Kyon

I wouldn't be surprised if they were saving Haruhi (if they do another season) for a time when they don't have anything else on their plate. The fanbase is unlikely to die out, let's be honest.

Oh yeah, the licensor had to fund them, but I forgot that.

It will probably die out like the Evangelion fanbase... I see your point

But if it's a committee, it's even MORE odd that they aren't deciding to animate Haruhi right then, could've probably sold the entire first wave of novels out if they did.

shigeru212 said:
GodlyKyon said:

I don't get it either. Haruhi is wildly successful and helped establish them as a premier animation studio.

My guess is that Kyoto Animation is apprehensive about returning to the franchise for another full season. Season 2 was a disappointment and they are probably are afraid that season 3 will a disappointment as well.

Of course, season 2 was a disappointment because of the endless eight. Every other episode of the season, of the franchise, is awesome. Even the endless eight would have been awesome if they would have capped it at 3 or 4.

As long as they avoid any more self-inflicted wounds, they should be fine. Even if season 3 fails to reach the level of season 1, the sales will still be impressive.

Endless Eight was a dumb idea in itself, and airing every episode from season 1? Come on, that probably pissed the fans off.

The novel had the endless eight as 1 short chapter, and yet it took up what? 50%+ of the season?

The Movie restored the faith of the fans, as shown by the sales results.

CKSqua said:
GodlyKyon said:

The value of an anime studio lies in how well they promote new franchises.

The thing about Haruhi is that popularity is already established, so KyoAni's most important job is done. Sequels are possible, but they provide more value to the industry by propping up new things - K-ON!, Lucky Star, Hyouka, etc. Pony Canyon and Kadokawa are always looking for the next big hit, so it's only natural that they hire the best teams to adapt previously unknown properties.

The studio also has its own aspirations, which is to promote their original franchises. Chuunibyou and Tamako Market are riskier propositions, but success means far more than a hit Haruhi sequel, simply because they own the copyrights and derive the most profit (whether from DVD/BD sales or other merchandise).

UGH... It frustrates me that they won't grab the low hanging fruit
Jan 9, 2013 10:49 PM

Mar 2012
Sure, If you don't like the look of a show you shouldn't watch it. But that doesn't mean you should run your mouth about something you haven't watched just because it doesn't appeal to you. You don't hear me ranting about how Elfen Lied is the scum of anime just because it doesn't interest me.

okkyblight said:
KiraMustDie said:

This worries me as well. Same with the Chuunibyou, Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari dubs that will probably follow
SeibaaHomuJan 9, 2013 10:52 PM
Jan 10, 2013 2:40 AM

Dec 2011
im already wondering how well the DVD/Blu-ray sales will be lol. Im sort of hoping its a bit lower than their recent releases so they might start animating different series entirely.
Jan 10, 2013 2:56 AM
Jun 2010
supermegasonic said:

a lot of money more like it
Jan 13, 2013 5:37 AM

Sep 2012
GodlyKyon said:
It is only because your prejudice restricts you to see NOTHING but cute girls doing only cute things. LOL.

Jan 13, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
Niko-kun said:
NinetyBeats said:

Since when is "Art" a product?

The output of any business that has a tangible form is a "product". Anime (a medium of art) is the outcome of the animation studio's (in this case, Kyoto Animation) input and has a tangible form (DVD/Blu Ray) and therefore, is a product.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 28 minutes ago

1 by EcchiGodMamster »»
22 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
26 minutes ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no RozĂ©' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
4 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.