Forum Settings
Forums

UK Producer To Make a Live Action Movie of Grave of the Fireflies

New
Nov 23, 2012 9:38 PM

Feb 2008
According to Cinema Today, UK film producer Dresden Pictures has acquired the live action film rights of Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies). The filming will start from 2014.

Source: Cinema Today
myanimelistllcFeb 13, 2016 1:11 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 23, 2012 9:59 PM

Aug 2010
Ah crap.

Makes about as much sense as the Shadow of The Colossus movie.
Nov 23, 2012 10:04 PM

Jun 2011
I'll probably end up crying either way, be it because it'll be so good and depressing or because it'll be so bad and hilarious.

Actually, I have faith that this'll be pretty good.
Nov 23, 2012 10:09 PM

Sep 2012
No,dont.even I want to believe that they will make it good(still cant after seeing DBZ live action)
Nov 23, 2012 10:10 PM

Aug 2011
No. Bad, Dresden Pictures, bad.
Nov 23, 2012 10:38 PM

Dec 2010
Just don't fucking ruin it, don't ruin it. They're gonna ruin it.
Nov 23, 2012 10:43 PM

Jan 2011
UK Movies well, sometimes is good, waiting the BDs for watch.
Nov 23, 2012 10:54 PM
Oct 2008
WTF just seriously I can't muster anything else but WTF
Nov 23, 2012 10:54 PM

Dec 2010
Oh god, no!

Nov 23, 2012 11:06 PM
Sep 2012
jmal said:
Well if you're going to convert an anime movie into a live action movie, this would be one of the easier ones, in the sense that it's certainly a sort of story that's been told through live action many times. I won't be interested in watching it myself, but I certainly don't think it's strange, whereas many other anime or video game to film adaptations just strike me as incredibly ill-conceived ideas.
^ This. I think that this could be adapted very well since there doesn't have to be many SFX compared to other anime. I'm just not sure that the live-action would have the same impact as the anime movie.
Nov 24, 2012 12:06 AM

Aug 2010
I wonder if they'll have a Japanese cast and whether or not they'll retain the setting of the story... :/
Nov 24, 2012 1:00 AM
Jan 2012
Knowing western producers, it'll most likely have an all Caucasian cast, set in some alternate history American city where America lost World War 2, just so it makes sense that they're all white.

THAT, or they'll be white actors with yellow-face make-up.
Nov 24, 2012 1:38 AM

May 2009
HnH is a good movie. Very nice.

But I'm worried about the choice of company to do the adaptation. Whatever. Hope they do the movie justice
Nov 24, 2012 1:48 AM

Dec 2007
I fully approve. Unless they'll go with an all caucasian cast. Then I only partly approve.
Nov 24, 2012 1:54 AM

Sep 2012
hmmmmm I'm feeling cautiously optimistic
Nov 24, 2012 1:55 AM

Oct 2012
oh noes.. going to stock up on tissues.
Nov 24, 2012 2:20 AM

Aug 2011
I heard there was already a live-action Grave of the Fireflies. Was that wrong?
Nov 24, 2012 2:37 AM

Mar 2007
Of course it's gonna have an all-white cast, film producers are a bunch of shameless racists. But since I don't watch live action anyway, I don't really care much. Grave of the Fireflies is one of my most favourite animated films of all time, but these guys are just going to ruin the story, so why care.
Nov 24, 2012 3:36 AM

Jul 2007
Please stop.
Nov 24, 2012 4:16 AM

Jul 2008
2_step_ahead said:
No,dont.even I want to believe that they will make it good(still cant after seeing DBZ live action)

What Dragon Ball Z live action? As far as I know, there is no Dragon Ball Z live action.

Nov 24, 2012 4:37 AM
May 2010
Ugh. At least it's not American.
Nov 24, 2012 4:39 AM

Apr 2011
While I didn't exactly expect a universal approval or enthusiasm for this live action adaptation, I'm still surprised at how negatively most of the people here have reacted to these news.
I don't know much about Dresden Pictures, but they seem to be a more "artistic" studio rather than one focused on making low-brow cash-cow blockbusters. But it doesn't matter so much which studio is adapting the original work, since it is also possible some other studio might bump in and either buy the rights from Dresden Pictures outright, or collaborate with them to make the final product.
What strikes me the most, thought, about the reactions here is the almost instinctive knee-jerk reaction to the mere thought of a Western studio adapting an anime into a live-action movie. While it is somewhat understandable, seeing as the adaptations of DBZ and Avatar were spectacular failures, the anime fans seem to have lost all perspective when it comes to adaptations.
First of all, Grave of the Fireflies is a very different kind of story compared to the long-running franchises like Dragonball and Avatar. It's a short and complete story that is easy to adapt, as opposed to working through hundreds of episodes of DBZ in an attempt to create a script for a singular story.
Secondly, many here want them to retain the setting and cast only Asians, which is a complete nonsense. First of all, there's already a live action Japanese adaptation of "Grave of the Fireflies", so to make the same story with Asian actors using the "Western money" is a no brainer and completely pointless.
Story of the original movie is strongly linked to the destruction of WW2, and I don't know if you guys are aware of this, the WW2 wasn't fought only in Asia/Pacific, but also in Europe. Therefore, the studio can easily change the setting from Japan to the UK during the Blitz or devastated and ruined Germany in the end and the direct aftermath of the war. Nothing of the content of the original movie would be lost and the movie would be much more familiar to the European audiences. Frankly, I find it absurd that some people think it is a sacrilege to change the setting or cast Caucasian actors. Granted, there are anime that are so quintessentially Japanese that any sort of adaptation for the Western audiences would be rather pointless because a huge portion of the original content would be lost in localization. But Grave of the Fireflies is not one of those anime, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing this movie made.
Nov 24, 2012 4:58 AM
Aug 2012
This is going to be really fucking bad.
Nov 24, 2012 5:32 AM
May 2010
name93 said:
Story of the original movie is strongly linked to the destruction of WW2, and I don't know if you guys are aware of this, the WW2 wasn't fought only in Asia/Pacific, but also in Europe. Therefore, the studio can easily change the setting from Japan to the UK during the Blitz or devastated and ruined Germany in the end and the direct aftermath of the war. Nothing of the content of the original movie would be lost and the movie would be much more familiar to the European audiences. Frankly, I find it absurd that some people think it is a sacrilege to change the setting or cast Caucasian actors. Granted, there are anime that are so quintessentially Japanese that any sort of adaptation for the Western audiences would be rather pointless because a huge portion of the original content would be lost in localization. But Grave of the Fireflies is not one of those anime, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing this movie made.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I think the WW2 the Japanese experienced was very different from the WW2 Europeans or Americans experienced. It wouldn't make much sense to have a movie about the holocaust set in Japan, would it? Meanwhile Japan is the only country to have ever been a victim of nuclear warfare, an "honor" that I feel should not be appropriated. Granted, this particular movie does not focus on the nuclear bombings directly, but it is still an experience that is tied more to Japan and the Japanese people than one may initially think. If Grave of the Fireflies was purely fictional then I wouldn't really care, but seeing as how it is not only explicitly set in WW2 but also semi-autobiographical on the author's part, giving the setting a complete overhaul would not only make little sense to me, it also seems like a plain insensitive thing to do.
Nov 24, 2012 5:39 AM

Sep 2009
name93 said:
Agreed. What's with the extreme pessimistic or even sometimes hostile view towards anything western (most of the time American)? I don't look at other countries and automatically think they are going to ruin anything they get their hands on. You guys need to be careful what you say because I've seen some borderline racist comments here from time to time.
Nov 24, 2012 6:56 AM

Jun 2012
Nickienator said:

What Dragon Ball Z live action? As far as I know, there is no Dragon Ball Z live action.

Dragonball Evolution.. Dear god that was a terrible movie.
Nov 24, 2012 7:00 AM

May 2011
Please, don't ruin it!
Nov 24, 2012 7:00 AM

Jul 2008
Decimate said:
Nickienator said:

Dragonball Evolution.. Dear god that was a terrible movie.

Dragonball Evolution isn't a Dragon Ball Z live action.

Nov 24, 2012 7:47 AM

Apr 2011
wingless said:
I don't know if I'd agree with that. I think the WW2 the Japanese experienced was very different from the WW2 Europeans or Americans experienced. It wouldn't make much sense to have a movie about the holocaust set in Japan, would it? Meanwhile Japan is the only country to have ever been a victim of nuclear warfare, an "honor" that I feel should not be appropriated. Granted, this particular movie does not focus on the nuclear bombings directly, but it is still an experience that is tied more to Japan and the Japanese people than one may initially think. If Grave of the Fireflies was purely fictional then I wouldn't really care, but seeing as how it is not only explicitly set in WW2 but also semi-autobiographical on the author's part, giving the setting a complete overhaul would not only make little sense to me, it also seems like a plain insensitive thing to do.

The experiences of Germans, Russians and even British weren't that different from the experiences of the Japanese. Destruction of their cities, rations, police hours, and in the German case, refusal to surrender until the bitter end.
And as you pointed out, the original movie doesn't focus on the use of the A-bombs, which were Japan-exclusive, so the difference in setting would have minimal impact on the overall plot, character development and themes of the Western adaptation.
As for the "insensitivity" of hijacking someone's tragic personal story to use it as a vehicle to suit your own agenda, let me point you to this interesting review of the "Grave of the fireflies":

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/35418-anime-abandon-grave-of-the-fireflies

As you can see in the review ( and if you've maybe read the original novel you'd know it already ), the anime adaptation of the novel also took some liberties and skewed the messages and meaning of the original story, so whatever the Dresden Pictures decide to change, the precedent has been already done. Or maybe changing the original story is OK for the Japanese anime directors but strictly forbidden for the Westerners?
Besides, I don't see a problem in them taking the basic concept and the idea of the original story and change it slightly to make it more relevant to the modern ( Western ) audiences, as long as it's good. Movies such as "V for Vendetta" show us that it is not imperative for a movie to be a 100% faithful adaptation of the original material; what matters the most that the movie is good in its own right.
Nov 24, 2012 8:04 AM

Jul 2010
wat
setsuko will be a british girl in this movie?
Nov 24, 2012 8:32 AM

Jun 2008
What the..
Don't do it!
Nov 24, 2012 9:12 AM
Apr 2011
Dresden Pictures wants an Oscar eh? I bet Roger Ebert will be pissed off when he hears about this...
Nov 24, 2012 9:18 AM

Jun 2008
I cannot imagine this going well, but why is it that there are so many live action adaptions (being planned) by people from America and now the UK? :S
Nov 24, 2012 9:38 AM

Feb 2012
wingless said:
Ugh. At least it's not American Hollywood.

FTFY
Nov 24, 2012 10:04 AM

Feb 2011
wingless said:
Ugh. At least it's not American.
And that makes it better how?
Nov 24, 2012 10:13 AM

Apr 2008
I'm cynical; at the same time, I don't want to cry.
Nov 24, 2012 10:51 AM
Feb 2011

Guys. Japan already tried and failed at making a live action adaption of GoTF.

Both Takahata (director of the anime version) and the dude who actually WROTE the "Grave of the Fireflies" autobiography (Akiyuki Nosaka) apparently agreed that this story was better suited for animation.

Animation kicked live action's ass here and some people just don't get it/accept it. How about making a movie about YOUR particular experiences in the war, UK? It's not like there's a lack of material. Actually, make it even better. Make it as an animation.
002173Nov 24, 2012 11:11 AM
Nov 24, 2012 11:18 AM
Mar 2009
Lol.

It's gonna get the white makeover.

*sigh*
Nov 24, 2012 11:41 AM

Feb 2010
WAT?(more or less german for DAFUQ?)

No need for that at all. I'd rather see Dragon Ball Live Action part 2.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 24, 2012 11:43 AM

Nov 2008
anime should just stay anime Goddammit
Nov 24, 2012 1:03 PM
Oct 2011
I laugh at some of these comments. It's by a newly-founded, niche UK company. Are they going to try to use huge special effects? No. Will it be set in America? No, and if they did then I'd love to find out how they would.

If anything, this has a chance of actually being made and actually being very good, because with all these reasons they will go close to the source material as it won't involve many special effects or a big budget. As long as it has good actors than this'll be really good.

Not all movies need to be knocked down immediately. Akira did. This doesn't.

I look forward to this one.
Nov 24, 2012 1:13 PM

Apr 2012
Mr_Gutts said:

This ^^^
Nov 24, 2012 1:30 PM

Aug 2008
Mr_Gutts said:
Nov 24, 2012 1:35 PM
Nov 2008
Why? Why will they do that? It's pointless.
Nov 24, 2012 1:37 PM

Apr 2011
ChronosXIII said:
Lol.

It's gonna get the white makeover.

*sigh*

Racist much?
Nov 24, 2012 3:28 PM

May 2010
Dresden who.....
Nov 24, 2012 3:53 PM

Jun 2012
please stop raping good things
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Nov 24, 2012 3:59 PM

Apr 2011
How is this "raping" the original? It hasn't even been made yet FFS!
Nov 24, 2012 6:40 PM

Sep 2012
No! No no no! A thousand times no!

I'll be compelled to watch this. And I will be very very sad.

Grave of the Fireflies must be kept in its grave.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Nov 24, 2012 6:58 PM

Sep 2012
its only been mentioned once in this thread, but they have already done this.

not once

but twice

according to Wikipedia.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
5 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
8 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
9 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.