Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2012 4:44 AM

Feb 2008
According to good! Afternoon magazine vol. 25, manga "Witch Craft Works" was announced to get an anime adaptation. The fourth volume of the comic book will be released on November 7th.

Source: Cover of Good Afternoon

Witch Craft Works on MAL
NaruleachNov 2, 2013 4:00 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 5, 2012 4:46 AM

Dec 2011
Sounds interesting. I'll give this a try.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 5, 2012 4:47 AM

Sep 2012
- seems the appeal is mainly towards female demography

- wonder if there is enough source material with only 4 volumes of manga
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 5, 2012 4:59 AM

Mar 2011
It looks interesting, I'll try it when it comes out.
As it turns out, living was a punishment...
Nov 5, 2012 5:01 AM

May 2010
Fantasy seinen? I might be interested.
Nov 5, 2012 5:03 AM

May 2011
Looks promising.
Nov 5, 2012 5:11 AM

Dec 2009
look forword to it
Nov 5, 2012 5:14 AM

Jan 2009
Genres: Action, Fantasy, Supernatural, Seinen

gonna check it out with those promising genres
Nov 5, 2012 5:27 AM

Sep 2012
GaZsTiC said:
symbv said:
It's a seinen.
I know the Good Afternoon is seinen but the drawing style seems appealing to female. I checked some Japanese forums and there are people there who know about this manga who also say it has a style that appeals to female.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 5, 2012 5:37 AM
Mar 2010
symbv said:
]I know the Good Afternoon is seinen but the drawing style seems appealing to female. I checked some Japanese forums and there are people there who know about this manga who also say it has a style that appeals to female.

I'm interested.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Nov 5, 2012 5:45 AM

Feb 2010
hell yeah! great news!!
Nov 5, 2012 5:46 AM

Apr 2009
Great news, although I wonder if they have enough material.

symbv said:

It's a Seinen, not a Josei. And as far as I know there are - in fact - a lot of males that do enoy this show. I just hope they do the art justice - I really like this aspect of this series.
NidhoeggrNov 5, 2012 6:00 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 5, 2012 6:02 AM

Mar 2012
seems interesting
looking forward to it
Nov 5, 2012 6:07 AM

Jul 2010
DAT Art Style.
It took me sometime to realize things on that manga cover. I thought he's cross dressing but then. oh wait... It's She.
Nov 5, 2012 6:19 AM

Jul 2009
But but I wanted to read it ..Never mind ._.
Nov 5, 2012 6:20 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:

It's a Seinen, not a Josei. And as far as I know there are - in fact - a lot of males that do enoy this show. I just hope they do the art justice - I really like this aspect of this series.
Did you read my other post too? This is what I wrote:

I know the Good Afternoon is seinen but the drawing style seems appealing to female. I checked some Japanese forums and there are people there who know about this manga who also say it has a style that appeals to female.

Nov 5, 2012 6:25 AM

Feb 2010
symbv said:

That actually is a relief, if it mainly appeals for females I can expect not much ecchi, hopefully.
I worry about the source material too though, but it should be enough for ~13 episodes.

Anyway, this seems interesting, looking forward to it!
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 5, 2012 6:56 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:
symbv said:

Did you read my other post too? This is what I wrote:

So you think the drawing style seems appealing to females and some random guys on a forum think so as well. I don't think the art appeal towards a certain demographic is all that important here.
Nov 5, 2012 7:15 AM
Aug 2011
I will watch it....
But I don't think that there are enough source material for a season....
Nov 5, 2012 7:23 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
So you think the drawing style seems appealing to females and some random guys on a forum think so as well. I don't think the art appeal towards a certain demographic is all that important here.
At least those "random guys" read the manga. Also I said " I checked some Japanese forums and there are people there who know about this manga who also say it has a style that appeals to female." but I did not say "art style" here. I meant those manga readers in Japan said the general style appeals to female. Compared to your opinion, I would rather place my trust in those manga fans in Japan providing their views in internet forums more.

Nov 5, 2012 7:51 AM

Nov 2008
guess i will stop reading the manga for now and wait for the anime
Nov 5, 2012 8:07 AM

Mar 2011
looking forward to it!

Nov 5, 2012 8:15 AM

May 2009
Nice!! It's great to see a series you used to work on get animated *-* WCW ftw!!!
Nov 5, 2012 8:30 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:

-Only one male character.
-big boobed girl.
-harem elements and plenty of ecchi.

Yup, the main appeal is definitely towards the female demography.
Nov 5, 2012 8:39 AM

Nov 2011
Nov 5, 2012 8:43 AM

Sep 2012
Downgrade355 said:

-Only one male character.
-big boobed girl.
-harem elements and plenty of ecchi.
Yup, the main appeal is definitely towards the female demography.
And don't you know, despite that it seems to have appeals to female demography, and this is what I read. Some people even think the "big boobed girl" look like an ikemen!

Nov 5, 2012 9:01 AM

May 2008
I'll try it out

Nov 5, 2012 9:04 AM

Mar 2009
oh cool :D
Nov 5, 2012 9:11 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
At least those "random guys" read the manga. Also I said " I checked some Japanese forums and there are people there who know about this manga who also say it has a style that appeals to female." but I did not say "art style" here. I meant those manga readers in Japan said the general style appeals to female. Compared to your opinion, I would rather place my trust in those manga fans in Japan providing their views in internet forums more.

Um, I read the manga as well. The plot is not that great but I think it appeals a lot more to males.
NidhoeggrNov 5, 2012 9:33 AM
Nov 5, 2012 9:13 AM

Jul 2012
Lol, looks like it might be interesting

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Nov 5, 2012 9:14 AM

Feb 2012
Dunno... might give it a try~
Nov 5, 2012 9:23 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Um, I read the manga as well. The plot is that great but I think it appeals a lot more to males.
The thing is since I read two recent surveys about LN/manga/anime popular with females, I don't think those factors that you or Downgrade555 mentioned may matter as much as before or as we might think. In the last 2 years the LNs that are most popular with female include SAO, Haganai, OreImo and -monogatari. Harem, incest, or ecchi are not factors that necessarily repel female readers. I think the taste of the female readers in Japan is shifting, and is no longer following the stereotypical conventional wisdom of what appeals or repels female readers/watchers.

Nov 5, 2012 9:52 AM

Jun 2012
Looks somewhat interesting, I'll check it out.
Nov 5, 2012 10:33 AM

Jun 2012
I've just started reading the Manga recently and I've gotta say, it feels more like a Seinen... It may just be a case like Gintama where over 60% of the viewers using the wikia page were female... :|
Nov 5, 2012 10:53 AM

Jun 2008
he sits next to Kagari Ayaka, the school's #1 beauty.

I'm getting sick of this shit.
Nov 5, 2012 11:04 AM
Sep 2012
*Sniffs the air*

I smell harem with a wussy MC who cant take care himself surround by powerful chicks.

Then again, the most experience I have on this is the synopsis of the manga on this here site.
Nov 5, 2012 11:49 AM

Jul 2010
symbv said:
GaZsTiC said:
symbv said:
It's a seinen.

Well, the fact that it is in a seinen magazine means taht is is not mainly aimed at female demography. That doesn't mean that it may not appeal to women, just as josei titles may appeal to men, etc...

A good example would be Otome Youkai Zakuro, which is also in a seinen magazine. The author actually stated that she did aim it toward a more feminine perspective, even though it was being published in a seinen magazine. (In the interview in the Zakuro premium edition from NIS.) She kind of considered it a challenge to make something that was kind of girly in a magazine aimed at guys. I think she thought of it as a way to broaden the appeal, so that women might want to buy the magazine too. Perhaps this is the same type of thing, but from some of the drawings I have seen, I doubt it, it looks pretty aimed at the male libido... I mean mind set...

I suppose the best way to find out is to read/watch it! I think I will! ;)

When I discribe Ah! My Goddess to friends, they frequently wonder if it isn't aimed at girls too... (Definitely not!)
Nov 5, 2012 12:13 PM

Oct 2012
I the first 10 chapters a year ago but the updates were once every 2 months or something long so I dropped. Since I found the manga ok, I'll give the anime a try since the updates should be consistent.
Nov 5, 2012 12:23 PM

Sep 2012
zensunni said:

Well, the fact that it is in a seinen magazine means taht is is not mainly aimed at female demography. That doesn't mean that it may not appeal to women, just as josei titles may appeal to men, etc...
Remember I did not say it was "aimed" but that it had "appeals" to female. Since I know Good Afternoon magazine is a seinen magazine, my statement is under the context that it is a seinen manga (with the aim being the male).

And I think you have given a very good example of Otome Youkai Zakuro where the aim/target consumer and what kind of consumer it ends up appealing to can be a bit different.

As for Ah My Goddess, the art style is kind of neutral but the subject matter of mechanics and engineering is not something that appeals to females, at least back when the days when it was first published.

Nov 5, 2012 12:44 PM

Aug 2011
Takamiya Honoka is a regular student
No.
whose only problem seems to be that he sits next to Kagari Ayaka, the school's #1 beauty.
No.
They have never spoken to each other before and any small interaction between them immediately results in her fanclub beating him.
Fuck no.
Kagari tells him it is her mission to protect him and that now she can finally protect him openly rather than undercover.
Kill it with fire.
Nov 5, 2012 12:50 PM
Oct 2010
Witch Craft Works is a good manga; however, as many people noted, there does not seem to be enough material for one season.

Also, people who judge by the synopsis will judge by the synopsis.
Nov 5, 2012 1:01 PM

May 2010
not a witch without a black cat :P
Nov 5, 2012 1:03 PM

Aug 2010
I did not expect this to get animated. AT ALL.
but I'm looking forward to it :]
Nov 5, 2012 1:39 PM

Sep 2009
iLostReason said:
Han-yuu said:
DAT Art Style.
It took me sometime to realize things on that manga cover. I thought he's cross dressing but then. oh wait... It's She.

I know right...
same for me, I thought for a moment it was yaoi but after a closer look the person I thought was a he turned out to be a she

implying i still won't be watching it for potential lulz
Nov 5, 2012 2:41 PM

Apr 2011
Seinen + Supernatural? Count me in!
Nov 5, 2012 3:01 PM

Sep 2010
I don't want to bash this before it's released, but the girl looks like a transvestite.
Nov 5, 2012 3:12 PM

Dec 2009
Liinah said:
Han-yuu said:

Same here. First I thought it was two guys and I was like: YAOI (ノ*゜▽゜*) but then... no.
Nov 5, 2012 4:47 PM

Aug 2011
Literally yesterday I started reading this manga wow.

I'll watch it.
Nov 5, 2012 5:26 PM
Sep 2012
Seems interesting enough. I don't know if it's a seinen or a josei, but Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a shoujo and I think that it's one of the best shows this season. I think that I'll give this one a try.
Nov 5, 2012 5:34 PM

Jun 2012
only masculine feature she's got is the slightly elongated face... Now you guys are starting to make me feel like she might be a trans... I mean I was 100% sure it was a girl even at first glance... but... whatever. -_-
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

12 by _ATG_ »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
9 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.