Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2012 5:18 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
...?

i don't quite understand...
joshiraku in the future?
but I found one thing that there is a stripe patsu scene.
Oct 21, 2012 9:55 PM

Nov 2007
It's Mirai-hen (Future), so you need to check novel, manga (the stories before this) to get to know the full story.

I thought the characters lives in future, but they time travelled from 600 years ago to get some messages to destroy the smartphone in order to save the future. + Awkward movie that they did younger.

Thought so, I heard sister (Iguchi-san)'s voice from one of the four. I saw Kimura-san's name. Is that the long silver haired guy? I like the ED by Kawano-san.
tsubasaloverNov 2, 2012 5:54 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 24, 2012 4:22 AM

Oct 2010
zimno said:
...?

i don't quite understand...
joshiraku in the future?
but I found one thing that there is a stripe patsu scene.
DID YOU NOT PAY ATTENTION? They are to make things right and shit went bad enough that they are confused about it. With limited communications they are trying to come to a solution.

What's not to understand?

They should have spent time more on explaining some side elements like the future itself.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 25, 2012 12:07 AM

Feb 2012
Subs :(
Oct 25, 2012 12:47 AM

Mar 2009
HauntingShock said:

I'm sure someone will do it. Maybe me, if it's any good.
Oct 25, 2012 12:50 AM

Feb 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
HauntingShock said:

I'm sure someone will do it. Maybe me, if it's any good.

I can't find any news on who's gonna handle it~
If it's been long and no one's still picking it up, sure, go ahead :D

Edit: You're from Aidoru? Cool :D
Nov 2, 2012 1:22 AM

Mar 2009
Just as a note to whoever added this to the SUBS FUCKING WHERE? club, subs are being worked on. Translation and editing are done.
Nov 2, 2012 1:44 AM

Feb 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
Just as a note to whoever added this to the SUBS FUCKING WHERE? club, subs are being worked on. Translation and editing are done.

Oh god good news~!
Nov 2, 2012 8:47 AM

Oct 2010
HauntingShock said:
Shoujo_Q said:

Oh god good news~!
It's cause the level is high school of this series but complex stuff is nice. There is a slight confusion in this episode due to other material not being translated or available in a visual manner just literary whom is a pain in the ass to learn. So that's the main problem but a adaptation of the literary material should be done IMO to compliment this episode.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 2, 2012 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
tsubasalover said:
It's Mirai-hen (Future), so you need to check novel, manga (the stories before this) to get to know the full story.

I thought the characters lives in future, but they time travelled from 600 years ago to get some messages to destroy the smartphone in order to save the future. + Awkward movie that they did younger.

It is actually 6000 years not 600 years, although very strangely the decay from the Present time does not look like that much time had passed...

Anyway, the premise is that in the Present time the world is going to oblivion -- people are disappearing and civilization is collapsing. Somehow in a community some time manipulation method was found so that everyone starts to live the same day over and over again. Since there is no future, the world's collapse is prevented. But what then? At the end, a way to send people to the past or the future is found. And people who passed certain test form an expedition team to the future, while those who passed some other test form a team to go back to the past. The anime is about those who came to the future (6000 years from Present)

This movie requires at least the Present part(novel) to really understand it. I do not have access to the Past (manga) or Present part (novel) so as much as I tried to decode what happened there are things that I do not quite understand. The "awkward movie" seems to be one of those things: its significance may only be revealed if we have knowledge about what happened in other parts.

The whole movie, in fact the whole world view, has a strong new wave feel. There is little attempt to explain the future or how the future world is like or how it functions. The characters are not in any sense of urgency and they chat along in a world-weary tone on some mundane subjects common seen in modern Japanese youngsters (albeit in an exaggerated way). Most of the dialogues are like that -- so atmosphere and mood plays much more important role and anybody hoping any clear explanation about the science and world building is in for big disappointment.

I have since gone to the official website to get more information. There are introduction and even some sample pages from the Past and the Present to read. It clears up certain things. For example, while the heroine in Future is Yakusa, her boyfriend Kirishima is actually the hero in Past (which explains the awkwardness when they talked for the last time on phone), and the straw-hat wearing girl Arata is the heroine for the Present. The Past is even more new-wave than the anime apparently -- from the introduction it seems the team arrived at the inside of a cinema and could never get out until something drastic happens....

symbvNov 2, 2012 11:05 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
HauntingShock said:
Shoujo_Q said:

Oh god good news~!
It's cause the level is high school of this series but complex stuff is nice. There is a slight confusion in this episode due to other material not being translated or available in a visual manner just literary whom is a pain in the ass to learn. So that's the main problem but a adaptation of the literary material should be done IMO to compliment this episode.

There were also references to the Robin Williams film Dead Poets Society in it... which were fun.
Nov 6, 2012 9:23 PM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
This movie requires at least the Present part(novel) to really understand it. I do not have access to the Past (manga) or Present part (novel) so as much as I tried to decode what happened there are things that I do not quite understand. The "awkward movie" seems to be one of those things: its significance may only be revealed if we have knowledge about what happened in other parts.
God I'm so confused about what happened in the end. Why they didn't animate the previous adaptations is beyond me. Perhaps they wanted to get Japanese people to read the novel and manga, but to anime only viewers like me, this didn't make much sense.
Nov 6, 2012 9:29 PM

Apr 2010
looks like commie picked it up
Nov 6, 2012 10:12 PM

Feb 2012
bnaks said:
looks like commie picked it up

Yup. Will watch tom :D
Nov 6, 2012 10:14 PM

Jan 2011
this just kinda went over my head as a anime viewer should had turned this into like a mini movie series or something was to short get anything out of it.
Nov 6, 2012 10:20 PM

Sep 2012
Boring OVA IMHO...

but pretty decent looking girls. =P
Nov 7, 2012 1:38 AM

Sep 2011
This ova made me Mind fucked. I barely knew what was going on, until I rewatched some parts.

Someone tell me If I'm correct here

Soo..They went from the Past > Future > Alternative past? someone tell me if I'm correct here.
TyrelNov 7, 2012 1:44 AM
Nov 7, 2012 2:51 AM

May 2011
Interesting to see the future portrayed like that.
Nov 7, 2012 3:01 AM

Sep 2012
Tyrel said:

Soo..They went from the Past > Future > Alternative past? someone tell me if I'm correct here.
Wonder if you read my earlier post in this thread...

Anyway, they sent one team to Future and another team to Past. At the end it seems they go to an alternative future which somehow links to the Past.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 7, 2012 3:11 AM
Aug 2010
Tyrel said:
This ova made me Mind fucked. I barely knew what was going on, until I rewatched some parts.

Someone tell me If I'm correct here

Same here.
Nov 7, 2012 3:52 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Tyrel said:

Wonder if you read my earlier post in this thread...

Anyway, they sent one team to Future and another team to Past. At the end it seems they go to an alternative future which somehow links to the Past.

I didn't. I posted and then left the thread.
Nov 7, 2012 4:19 AM
Mar 2012
Shoujo_Q said:
Yumekichi11 said:
HauntingShock said:
Shoujo_Q said:

Oh god good news~!

There were also references to the Robin Williams film Dead Poets Society in it... which were fun.

and Field of Dreams...starring Kevin Costner ^^

i too the whole time didn't understand what the fuck was going on? I remember the girl asking to herself as to how smashing the phone would save the world and i'm pretty sure until the end we didn't get an answer to that...

and those guys came from the present, right? so, if they were still in the future at the end (a reformed one, or perhaps a future in another timeline [so, the time travel system works sorta similarly with Steins;Gate!?]how the hell did the grey hair guy show up in it?[if he was from the present])

i rated this a 7 since i'm a generous person when it comes to scoring and because of its outside-the-box idea...but overall this wasn't good enough...
Nov 7, 2012 6:33 AM

Sep 2009
symbv said:

Anyway, the premise is that in the Present time the world is going to oblivion -- people are disappearing and civilization is collapsing. Somehow in a community some time manipulation method was found so that everyone starts to live the same day over and over again. Since there is no future, the world's collapse is prevented. But what then? At the end, a way to send people to the past or the future is found. And people who passed certain test form an expedition team to the future, while those who passed some other test form a team to go back to the past. The anime is about those who came to the future (6000 years from Present)

The whole movie, in fact the whole world view, has a strong new wave feel. There is little attempt to explain the future or how the future world is like or how it functions. The characters are not in any sense of urgency and they chat along in a world-weary tone on some mundane subjects common seen in modern Japanese youngsters (albeit in an exaggerated way). Most of the dialogues are like that -- so atmosphere and mood plays much more important role and anybody hoping any clear explanation about the science and world building is in for big disappointment.

I have since gone to the official website to get more information. There are introduction and even some sample pages from the Past and the Present to read. It clears up certain things. For example, while the heroine in Future is Yakusa, her boyfriend Kirishima is actually the hero in Past (which explains the awkwardness when they talked for the last time on phone), and the straw-hat wearing girl Arata is the heroine for the Present. The Past is even more new-wave than the anime apparently -- from the introduction it seems the team arrived at the inside of a cinema and could never get out until something drastic happens....

Thanks to you. I understand it all now. At first, "why did I ever watched this anime. I don't get it." But after reading this one, it makes me feel sad.
Sad about Yakusa and his boyfriend. I hope they will meet again. But it's hard to think that,

This is just a touching story. I like it. :)
Nov 7, 2012 7:58 AM

Jun 2009
Too deep for me or poor story storytelling? Fuck, I don't get it. Might rewatch it again sometime.
Nov 7, 2012 8:25 AM

Jan 2011
I have no clue what just happened they spent too much time on teenage girl talk and the ending just came outta nowhere with little explanation. Very disappointed they could of done much better with this premise.
[center]
Nov 7, 2012 8:32 AM

Sep 2012
KingofConquerors said:

and those guys came from the present, right? so, if they were still in the future at the end (a reformed one, or perhaps a future in another timeline [so, the time travel system works sorta similarly with Steins;Gate!?]how the hell did the grey hair guy show up in it?[if he was from the present])

i rated this a 7 since i'm a generous person when it comes to scoring and because of its outside-the-box idea...but overall this wasn't good enough...
Without knowing what happens in the Past (which is a manga) and the Present (which is a novel) I thikn it would be hard to judge the anime on its own. Things would not make sense if you look at only the anime.

From what I could gather about what happened in the Past and the Present. It seems those guys were from the Past as well as Present. And somehow the guy from the Past (who was seen sitting at another corner of the cinema near the end), who is the boyfriend of the heroine, managed to change the future but it will only happen if the heroine made up the mind to destroy her mobile phone. But how exactly he managed to figure it out or what he did to correct the future I have little idea. As I said, the whole thing is very much like reading a new wave science fiction where there is no hard science and science/technology serves a very secondary and unexplained background for the atmosphere and mood set for the character interactions. I have a feeling that even if we read the manga and the novel, we may not get to know every details of what happened and all the causes and effects.
symbvNov 7, 2012 8:46 PM

Nov 7, 2012 8:34 AM

Sep 2012
VioLink said:
I have no clue what just happened they spent too much time on teenage girl talk and the ending just came outta nowhere with little explanation. Very disappointed they could of done much better with this premise.
The anime definitely does not aim for the science, but is a way to provide a setting to showcase the ennui of a bunch of teenagers but also point to how they (well at least the heroine) want to step out of it.

I also wrote a bit more about the whole anime/manga/novel package of Arata naru Sekai. Perhaps it can be of help for understanding what this anime is about:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=507345&show=0#msg18112631

Nov 7, 2012 8:40 AM

Sep 2012
Zel_Ezl said:
[ But it's hard to think that,

Nov 7, 2012 9:04 AM

Jan 2011
symbv said:
VioLink said:
The anime definitely does not aim for the science, but is a way to provide a setting to showcase the ennui of a bunch of teenagers but also point to how they (well at least the heroine) want to step out of it.

I also wrote a bit more about the whole anime/manga/novel package of Arata naru Sekai. Perhaps it can be of help for understanding what this anime is about:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=507345&show=0#msg18112631

So basically this anime is only for people who have read the previous parts. How did smashing a cellphone change everything?
[center]
Nov 7, 2012 9:22 AM

Jun 2012
I get that you need to read the manga/novel to understand what's going on here... but where do I even read them? I can't find them anywhere, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
Nov 7, 2012 9:42 AM

Sep 2012
KazukiJurai said:
I get that you need to read the manga/novel to understand what's going on here... but where do I even read them? I can't find them anywhere, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
I could only find a dozen of sample pages of the manga and the novel at the official site, so I can't help here... I got a bit more information from reviews written on some Japanese blogs. Anyway, the anime is sold as part of a package (which is branded as a "media mix total-experience package") that has the manga and the novel, so for those who bought the stuff they would have access to everything right from the start.
symbvNov 7, 2012 8:45 PM

Nov 7, 2012 10:30 AM

Nov 2011

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Oh I heard that somewhere.

Anyways, it's an interesting concept although I was a little confused of the concept. So, accordingly, it's about some girls who traveled some 6000+ years into the future to..evade human extinction? Hmm, I wonder what caused that in the first place. Guess, I should read the manga/novels to know more soon.

There are strange birds in the sky from the beginning..and everything seems to be a bit random. Overall, I liked the characters' designs and the setting. It has a little of From the New World theme imo which is another series that I enjoy watching. That bird reminds me of some creature from the manga series, Cage of Eden.

I think symbv's post summed it up pretty well so definitely going to give the manga a shot in the future. Not bad for this OVA although wasn't too special imo.

For them though, there's definitely a future.
Nov 7, 2012 11:34 AM

Aug 2011
Huh, seems my interpretation was way off. Thanks to symbv for clearing some things up, but sadly I will have to lower the rating because of this.
Personally I thought that she had to destroy her cellphone to save humanity as well. But the phone would be symbolism for people having contact through media more than physicall contact(as in, meeting each other in person), which eventually resulted in humanity's decline. Destroying that phone, humanity would be forced to search physical contact again. This also fits in what's currently happening in our society, so I really loved it.
But as I said before, symbv somewhat cleared up what this really was about, thus pretty much destroying my interpretation haha.
Nov 7, 2012 12:08 PM

Nov 2012
The anime is very interesting,and i think might be explained if read the novel and manga,but i haven't found nothing,and someone know if will be only this 1 episode or will be released more episodes?
Nov 7, 2012 2:49 PM
Apr 2011
Hmm, this is a hard anime to kinda understand without the back story as others have said, all I can gather is that it seems either their pasts and futures merged together which is one of the theories I could grasp from the ending, or maybe the two switched places in the timelines, and the clip after the credits is the guy maybe not in the same timeline.
Nov 7, 2012 4:30 PM

Jul 2011
Wish I could've got the back story. Would've let me enjoy it more.

But I did like it and got... perhaps a general grasp of what was happening. :<
Nov 7, 2012 4:51 PM

May 2010
I wish i could read the manga and novel...
Nov 7, 2012 5:55 PM

Feb 2012
«Brain Processing»
«...»
«Processing Failed.»

But really, I understood it partly, around 75% of the story, but they should have atleast made it a series, movie, or even a set of OVAs -_-
Nov 7, 2012 6:00 PM

Oct 2009
I gave this a 5, for relying on outside material to tell its story.
Nov 7, 2012 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
Stark700 said:
Anyways, it's an interesting concept although I was a little confused of the concept. So, accordingly, it's about some girls who traveled some 6000+ years into the future to..evade human extinction? Hmm, I wonder what caused that in the first place. Guess, I should read the manga/novels to know more soon.
I would say it is more like exploration, as the girls said - it is kind of like a school excursion. And it is interesting how little prepared they were - you don't get to see any survival kit or equipment, and they made no attempt to test if the air, water or food (fish) are safe to consume. The NEW WAVE Science Fiction feel is strongly there right from the beginning.

Stark700 said:
For them though, there's definitely a future.
The way I see it, the anime, as well as the manga and the novel, deals with the ennui and lack of passion for life among the teenagers. They were living the same day over and over in The Present; they got nothing to do in The Future (so just lazy chatting and playing little games like linking words or playing students in a classroom to kill time). But the heroine finally decided she could and should make a break (the phone may actually be a symbol of attachment to yourself, the past, or the virtual -- as in The Future the phone does not work anyway so it is more like a symbolic object) and things start to move. The emotion they felt watching a film made back in The Present, in a cinema that was the location in The Past, as well as the words spoken by the guy who greeted them on the street earlier, seems to indicate that there is indeed a way to move forward and to feel emotions if you are willing to take the step.

Anyway, just my little interpretation.

Nov 7, 2012 9:10 PM

Dec 2010
The concept is interesting but because it is indeed just one episode it was confusing at parts even with my mind going into it prepared for a confusing OVA. That said it would be much better as a set of OVAs, perhaps not a full series but maybe six episodes or something.

Also is it safe to assume (i know his face wasn't shown) that the guy who sat up at the end was her boyfriend Kirishima and so they ended up in the same timeline again? If so at least its a happy ending in that aspect because the way they portrayed it from her viewpoint it would have been depressing if they never saw each other again.
Nov 7, 2012 10:09 PM

Aug 2010
Interesting concept. I almost cried when they played that movie.
Nov 8, 2012 5:48 AM

Jun 2009
wtf did i just watch
Nov 8, 2012 6:22 AM

Aug 2008
LordStraw said:
Huh, seems my interpretation was way off. Thanks to symbv for clearing some things up, but sadly I will have to lower the rating because of this.
Personally I thought that she had to destroy her cellphone to save humanity as well. But the phone would be symbolism for people having contact through media more than physicall contact(as in, meeting each other in person), which eventually resulted in humanity's decline. Destroying that phone, humanity would be forced to search physical contact again. This also fits in what's currently happening in our society, so I really loved it.
But as I said before, symbv somewhat cleared up what this really was about, thus pretty much destroying my interpretation haha.

That's an interesting theory from a thematic point of view, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in regards to the plot. How does destroying a phone in the future change the past? Guess I'll have to read the novel or whatever.

I think I got most of the rest of it though. As others have said in the thread, humanity was dying so to prevent that, they set it so that one day kept repeating over and over (the present). They then sent kids into the past and the future, the future being the anime's story. What I found interesting was the future was quite literally just the very next day. That's why yer one's name was still on the board.

The kids sent to the past find out how to fix the future, so they send a time capsule to the future telling yer one to destroy her phone. This is where I lose the thread a bit, because I guess what happens is the kid in the past sends a message to the grey haired kid in the present who then tells the girl to dig up a letter when she goes to the future...or something.

I'm sure the other material explains it further. Not sure if I'm particularly bothered to check it out though. There's interesting ideas, but it's a bit too sentimental for my liking.
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Nov 8, 2012 9:22 AM

Nov 2008
I expected a bit more from this.. slightly disappointed, yes.
Nov 8, 2012 12:33 PM

Sep 2011
It was really good. I understood it and it was a well spent half hour. I just randomly decided to watch it as it got released in subs and i'm glad i did.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Nov 8, 2012 12:37 PM

Feb 2012
I really loved the music when they were watching the movie. Somehow that got me right in the feels
Nov 8, 2012 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
Okay, so this really doesn't work as a standalone. it had an interesting atmosphere and made me curious about the worldview, but unless I get to read novel and manga I feel this was a bit of a waste of time. So please contact me if anyone sees them being translated!
Still there were some issues, like the lack of decay, that could be explained in the other parts, but I just think they didn't care as much for realism as they did for atmosphere/story.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 8, 2012 3:19 PM

Feb 2012
Damn, we seriously need to read the manga and the novel to understand what the hell was going at the end which isn't that surprising considering that Arata naru sekai was announced as a multimedia project.
Nov 8, 2012 7:48 PM

Aug 2010
Kinda cool being multimedia project and all,
but if they ever decided to release past, present and future in an anime, that'd be pretty cool too...

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Preview!

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2012

9 by Mayuka »»
Aug 25, 2013 9:53 PM

Poll: » Character Sketches of this series.

Yumekichi11 - Jul 25, 2012

0 by Yumekichi11 »»
Jul 25, 2012 5:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.