Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 3, 2012 1:57 AM

Dec 2011
Nice episode, the bath scene was so touching.
Apr 3, 2012 2:05 AM

Feb 2010
it's only the first episode but the changes they made already lowered my already low expectations even more.
Apr 3, 2012 2:48 AM

Sep 2010
bskbob said:
it's only the first episode but the changes they made already lowered my already low expectations even more.

+1, this was the one i had the highest hope for this season. Well i guess they had to concentrate the story to be able to fit it in 13 episodes. Hopefully it won´t suck in the end.
Apr 3, 2012 3:02 AM
Jan 2012
I'm far from pumped. As already mentioned, it feels very bland and generic with nothing to really catch my interest. Even more so, I can't shake the feeling that this could become a lousy adaption a la Elfen Lied - when reading all these manga inputs and how much was crammed into one episode etc.
Apr 3, 2012 3:17 AM

Dec 2010
Deadman Wonderland 2.0
Apr 3, 2012 3:35 AM

Dec 2010
Blind_Guardian said:
Enjoyed the first episode, some nice fanservice from the girl who adopted Our Hero (tho I wonder if we'll be seeing her again after the timeskip and we get the older Zetman), unfortunately blurred out. The gore didn't look like it was edited at least, so hopefully the "Blu-Ray goodies" will be just the occasional fanservice scene. I do hate that trend in current anime, to air only the most highly-censored and cut-up version to ensure people will buy (or pirate) the Blu-Ray, but if it helps their flagging sales I doubt they'll cease anytime soon.

Look forward to seeing the adult versions of everyone, and lots more classic-style beatdowns. I love the art in this show, it's got that 80's retro sort of feel to it but with the shiny-smoothness of modern computer anime.

EDIT: Wow, just read the manga-to-anime comparisons, they DEFINITELY changed the tone of the manga O_o Not sure that I approve, especially since they left in the tits, just blurred it to sell Blu-Rays. I hope it grows into the dark feel that the awesome ED sequence seemed to portray. Maybe they wanted to tone things down a little bit when he was a kid, to make his more brooding, badass look in the future contrast better. I'll keep watching and probably put this on my 'to-read' list.
Where did you read that?
Apr 3, 2012 4:01 AM

Feb 2008
rodac said:
Based on the scans Yumekichi posted it looks like there will be some significant differences (less ecchi, less gore) so be prepared.
I swear, if they heavily alter or completely omit the party that changed Kouga's (the blonde superhero fanatic kid) life and put him on years of therapy, heads are going to roll. That story was nothing but gore and rape, it was Kouga's "Never Again" moment

It was chapter 41 and onwards, so I'll patiently wait here with my torch and pitchfork. At this rate it should happen during episode 3, 4 or 5

Apr 3, 2012 4:08 AM

Mar 2009
There are definitely some major flaws in the anime adaption.
Sure the art is great and totally fits the manga since you can't really do it in "cute character" style.

But judging from the first episode alone I can tell that they fucked it up pretty badly.
First of all censor: Why in gods name would they censor this kind of anime.
Without censor this is nothing. Sure they is some blood spitting going on but why would they blurr out the scenes where you see the corpse.
And the second major issue: Animation. While I have no problems with movement and such I can't stand it when the animation can't keep up with fast paced fight scenes.
No idea what they did wrong here but it gets all blurry during fast movement and hitting in the fight scenes.
Those who read the manga know there are many fast paced fights going on and I'm not sure I want to look at blurry screen for half of the episode because they try to censor half of the fighting away.

I won't drop it though since I've been excited since the news of an adaption came up but I'm still kinda sad of what they've made out of this great manga.
Apr 3, 2012 5:02 AM

May 2010
I can't remember the content of the manga anymore which I think good for me.
Should refrain myself visiting this discussion just not to get spoiled since every 3-4 posts the word "manga" was mentioned >:)
Apr 3, 2012 5:09 AM
Sep 2011
I could care less about the changes from the source material as I haven't read the manga.
Nevertheless the episode was quite good though I suppose the old man's death lacked impact of some sort. The scenes with Akemi were pretty heartwrenching on the other hand.

I approve of the animation style used during the fight scenes as it has a distinctive quality to it. The faint messiness gives them a rawness that fits the mood of this anime imo.

The omission of some scenes probably helped the pacing since it prevented the episode from being rushed but I can understand that manga readers could be disappointed by it.
EudaimoniaApr 3, 2012 5:17 AM
Apr 3, 2012 5:49 AM

Jan 2009
Totentanz said:
I could care less about the changes from the source material as I haven't read the manga.

This. Since most anime shows deviate from the manga in some form without fail - in fact this is true of every book to film adaptation - this is a redundant moan in my opinion.

Anyway, I thought it was decent and promising first episode. I just hope Akemi sticks around for the duration! ;) :P
Apr 3, 2012 5:54 AM

Dec 2009
It seems like the manga readers hate this. I didn't find this that bad.
Paku, Romi's voice acting was top notch as usual.

I'll give this a 4/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 3, 2012 6:08 AM
Feb 2012
As expected it was a great first episode. Took me only a few minutes to be completely intrigued by this show. Jin is undoubtedly a main char I can sympathize with and for now I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode. 5/5 for a great start
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 3, 2012 6:44 AM
Dec 2007
I heard that the manga the series' taken from is a masterpiece but I didn't even think it could be this good. Hands down the best first episode I've seen this year and a truly amazingly dark, gritty, cruel, yet realistic introduction. This one will most probably end up in my top 10, maybe top 5 of the year.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 3, 2012 7:01 AM
Feb 2012
This was a splendid episode. I know that I will come to hate Kouga; I don't know why but I have this feeling. Seiji looks like an extremely intriguing character and will probably be my favorite. I wasn't too sure about the art at the beginning, but it kind of grew on me.
Apr 3, 2012 7:17 AM

Jul 2009
rodac said:
It seems like the non manga readers (myself included) are happier with the episode than those people who have read the source. Based on the scans Yumekichi posted it looks like there will be some significant differences (less ecchi, less gore) so be prepared. As for me, I think I'll watch through to the end and add this to my list of manga to eventually get around to reading. Sometimes it's better not to know just how awesome it could have been...

Agree, 100%. I really enjoyed this episode, and will probably enjoy the rest of the series; if reading the manga will lead to me being disappointed by the anime, I'll wait before reading it.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Apr 3, 2012 7:24 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, awesome job at totally fucking the storyline TMS.
Though if I view this without thinking about the manga, it was actually quite nice. Animation too.
Apr 3, 2012 7:33 AM

May 2011
A pretty nice to start this one.

The fight is really nice, I think it's worth to watch this one.
Apr 3, 2012 8:19 AM

Nov 2009
I know the manga doesnt have much content per chapter but cmon this is too far. They are gonna cram so much stuff per episode and tone down the gore and finish with an anime original ending.

They will ruin this like any other seinen nowadays ..... not like i had any big expectations with 13 ep only. Let the butchering begin !
Apr 3, 2012 8:32 AM

Nov 2008
I am a big fan of the manga and I love the depth of emotion the characters have in the manga. Sadly I'm not feeling it with this rushed cut/slash job of an anime, 13 episodes really.... I was expecting a 26 episode masterpiece =(. Maybe it will get better but from whats shown so far this will be a sad comparison to the manga.
Apr 3, 2012 8:34 AM

Mar 2012
This episode was something else, :'( i'll watch it through the end for sure...
Apr 3, 2012 8:55 AM

Oct 2010
Anime is pretty damn good so far but does this remind anybody of Devilman. I swear it seems like a spin off of it or something.

This is a modernize Devilman.

Well im just glad he grows up and when i watch more of the series i'll see if its really like Devilman. If your wondering what devil man is watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqLDuQTXYSI&feature=related

Seinen is my favorite genre but they always ruin it in anime. Ive been reading the comments i really hope they dont have an anime ending. I can understand a rushed 1st episode. Usually the 1st episodes draws in viewers. So they had to do something i guess.
bonifideApr 3, 2012 9:05 AM
Apr 3, 2012 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
Amazing episode,I hope other spring's un-aired shows will be good,I'm quite disappointed with all the others until now :(
Apr 3, 2012 9:20 AM

Feb 2008
What the hell ist that? :/ They don't follow the manga and it'll be only 13 episodes :/ I had high expectations for this series and now I'm angry >.< Well ending was fine ^^''
"Uwierz w anioły nawet jeśli ich skrzydła są czarne. Uwierz w diabła nawet jeżeli na jego rogach spoczywa płonąca aureola."
Apr 3, 2012 9:29 AM

Feb 2009
We have a clear split of manga readers unsatisfied with the adaptation and anime-only viewers who liked it, here in this thread.
I belong to the latter then.
I liked it, though Jin putting spit to heal the wounds of the gramps made me lol.
I'm interested on how this will play out regarding these Players/monsters, Jin's relationship with Kouga, Jin's powers and Kiritsugu in a white robe those two who cleaned up the lizard guy's body.
The animation and censoring could be a problem but it's not that bad.
Let's see how this goes.

So is this 2-cour or 1-cour? MAL says only 13 episodes but guys are saying here it's 2-cour. Source?
Apr 3, 2012 9:39 AM

Mar 2010
I loved this episode. It's funny that manga readers hate it so much. But I can't blame them, although I have no complaints about this so far. It could have been without the censorship but since I watched whole Blood-C, this is like a paradise to me (at least censorship wise). The bathing scene was really touching and so far I love Jin as a charatcer (it is very rare that I like the main character, although it's a 2nd anime from those that just started where like the lead XD). TBH I'm happy that they skip to their young adulthood/teen years/whatnot. I dislike violent/gory anime/manga with children. Too much emotion too little action aka boring.
Apr 3, 2012 9:53 AM

Jun 2011
good start
Apr 3, 2012 9:58 AM
Jan 2011
Nice
Apr 3, 2012 10:30 AM

Jul 2009
If they don't have the classic killhouse arc with kouga, this anime is going down the drain
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

Apr 3, 2012 10:34 AM
Sep 2009
Eh, it was okay. I haven't read the manga, but I do hope it is better. The pacing was pretty bad in the episode, and I couldn't feel the girth of the emotion because of that. Still, the show has plenty of potential.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Apr 3, 2012 10:36 AM

Feb 2008
bonifide said:
Anime is pretty damn good so far but does this remind anybody of Devilman. I swear it seems like a spin off of it or something.

How can you compare this piece of crap to Devilman?

I haven't read the manga, but this whole episode was so bad that it wasn't even funny. It was so rushed that most scenes were meaningless and made no sense altogether. What's the point in discussing heritage with a five years old? Grandpa's death was just meaningless. He just died and had no significance to the plot (except for making MC live with that gorgeous slut).

The higlight of the episode was the bath scene, but seeing it censored, I wonder if I should bother watching this as ongoing. Hope they air it on ATX too. It was probably the only scene that didn't have that QUALITY animation. The rest of the episode was pretty bad, especially during the fight scenes.

Pretty bad start I must say. Didn't really do something to make me watch the second episode. And what's with the friggin lizards.

Generic seinen is generic. Lots of violence/ecchi, minimum plot.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 3, 2012 10:50 AM

Oct 2010
ManInBlack said:
Totentanz said:

This. Since most anime shows deviate from the manga in some form without fail - in fact this is true of every book to film adaptation - this is a redundant moan in my opinion.
Hence I am thinking if I should follow the manga to see the differences to comprehend this series better or wait until it's over?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Apr 3, 2012 10:56 AM

Apr 2011
Great for a first episode, didn't like the censoring but that will just make me buy the DVD even more just to see it. 8/10
Apr 3, 2012 11:00 AM

Mar 2009
Another epic fail. In order to do a good job creating a anime based on a seinen, you obviously need a decent budget and BALLS. I believe they're lacking both.

Those who did not read the manga won't be able to understand the whole thing and the feeling the manga tried to convey.

This is just another business opportunity. Another good manga getting a bad adaptation.

If you enjoyed, check the manga, it will be worth it.
R-ZeroApr 3, 2012 11:36 AM

Apr 3, 2012 11:06 AM
Apr 3, 2012 11:35 AM

Nov 2009
OMG ! WTH did they do ?? they ruined the whole series with this !
very bad episode and they changed alot of important things from the manga !! here everything appears very "cliche" and stupid .. why ???
drop
Apr 3, 2012 11:57 AM

Aug 2010
I'm glad the lady didn't die

Looks promising although it seems the people who have read the manga seriously DESPISE this first episode. Oh well, I haven't read the manga and I enjoyed this episode. I'll look forward to more.
Apr 3, 2012 12:04 PM

Dec 2011
I must say I expected more. I haven't read manga, but all these scenes felt unconnected, rushed. I luckily have remarkable skill of understanding stuff even when that is not so easy. So I liked this. It's obvious that there is a great and interesting idea behind this, but episode 1 made it look bad. Also random killings of that lizard guy. Why? What's the reason? Everything looked cliche....

Still there is time and it might turn out to be ok.

There were few touching scenes, and I almost started crying when I thought that blond chick was killed. I mean that would be awful for poor Jin, although that pain could have been used for further character development. What I understood from reading comments here, manga has a story, decent one. Looks like anime will be more about action.

Now, it's been a long time since I watched anime with realistic manga drawings. Don't get me wrong, I love blue,red,pink and so on hair and eye color, but this is refreshing.

So far I see potential and I hope it'll turn out to be good.

Also I'll read manga...

P.S.

I am glad we will see more of Konoha, she was cute...
akutasame94Apr 3, 2012 12:15 PM
Apr 3, 2012 12:11 PM

Apr 2009
WHY

Seriously, what is the director thinking? Changing most of the story, upping the pace so that one volume can fit into one episode? That's insane.

Should've gone the Berserk route and made a one cour series consisting mostly out of his childhood and the flashback...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 3, 2012 12:28 PM

Feb 2008
So DEEP DARK AND EDGY JUST LIKE MY SOUL

Dropped.
Apr 3, 2012 12:36 PM

Dec 2011
I read first 4 chapters on mangareader....

I can't believe the difference... Manga IS better...
Apr 3, 2012 12:43 PM
Jun 2011
hobo
with a cellphone
Hi.
Apr 3, 2012 12:45 PM

Feb 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
Hence I am thinking if I should follow the manga to see the differences to comprehend this series better or wait until it's over?

The major difference they made is that Kouga and Jin met as children, that could be crucial. I think you'll manage to understand what's going on without reading the manga but I highly recommend it, you can blaze through it since many chapters have only 13-16 pages. It took a long time until we saw Jin as an adult in the manga so you could read that part for now.
ZhouApr 3, 2012 12:49 PM
Apr 3, 2012 12:45 PM

Jun 2011
Better than I expected it to be.
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Apr 3, 2012 12:46 PM

Jun 2011
Ekutah said:
hobo
with a cellphone

Probably the little rich boy gave it to him
tfw no gf
Apr 3, 2012 12:50 PM

Feb 2008
akutasame94 said:

It's funny how much proper pacing and character interaction can improve things, huh?

Apr 3, 2012 12:50 PM

Jun 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
WHY

Seriously, what is the director thinking? Changing most of the story, upping the pace so that one volume can fit into one episode? That's insane.

Should've gone the Berserk route and made a one cour series consisting mostly out of his childhood and the flashback...
It's not that it really matters. I'd rather see him when he's grown up that when he's a little faggot kid.
tfw no gf
Apr 3, 2012 12:52 PM

Dec 2011
Vegreaper said:
akutasame94 said:

It's funny how much proper pacing and character interaction can improve things, huh?

Well yes, but story in manga is easy to understand, character development too... It's not rushed like ep. 1...
Apr 3, 2012 1:05 PM

Jan 2012
Yay! Finally the first episode! And surely my type of anime.
10/10

Apr 3, 2012 1:13 PM

Jun 2010
good good good! more good anime this season pls
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Zetman is very underrated !!!

iamKetranLang - Feb 11, 2018

7 by LenRea »»
Mar 20, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Zetman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jenanime - Apr 23, 2012

60 by Eyth »»
Apr 28, 2023 7:56 AM

Poll: » Zetman Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2012

137 by removed-user »»
Jan 31, 2023 2:07 PM

Poll: » Zetman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 4, 2012

53 by Abdf »»
Mar 11, 2022 4:33 AM

Poll: » Zetman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2012

73 by passa_p »»
Feb 15, 2020 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.