Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2011 2:38 AM
Jan 2009
I tried watching the anime version of One Piece (subbed), but the first 10 or so episodes were terrible. My friend recently recommended reading the manga saying the anime doesn't do it justice. He also claims that you have to get to a certain point in the story for it to start getting really good.

I have heard the writing is supposed to be on a whole other level above any other manga.

So this leads me to my question; Around what chapter of the manga do I have to push through until it starts getting to be amazing?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 31, 2011 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
You can't judge a story that has 500 episodes by first 10.
If you ask me, it's amazing from the first chapter. But you have to take into consideration, that every story has introduction and read about the story beforehand, so that you'll have the idea of what's that about. By introduction I mean getting to know the characters and how the OP world works. When it's all explained you can get on with the plot, which is very rich and consistent.
Every chapter in the manga is important to the plot, you can't just skip and get right to the juicy parts. So be patient about the anime and the manga, though I don't know what is the problem with the beginning of the series.
And anime does do manga the justice, if you look at the seyus and their work, it's great.

P.S It takes something around 100 chapters.
Aug 31, 2011 8:44 AM

Jan 2011
Going through the inital episodes was kind of a chore for me too but it most certainly does gradually get better. Just keep at it and you'll be rewarded soon enough.

As mentioned before, the anime does do the manga justice. The medium offers more techniques for story telling and it does take advantage of it.
Aug 31, 2011 8:51 AM

Aug 2011
The Arlong Saga is considered good as in from 6 to 7 out of 10, but on episode 64 it starts getting really good.
Aug 31, 2011 11:01 AM

Apr 2009
well the first 17 episodes or so are kinda weak.. so it starts to be good around 19.. with Zoro's past and Sanji
Aug 31, 2011 11:10 AM
Feb 2011
As everyone said it is actually good from the beginning but the earlier arcs pale in comparison with the later arcs of the series.

It is a series which thinks big and evolves constantly. The world is enormous and the bigger it gets the greater OP gets. One Piece is mainly about the relationship between the Crew members and therefore the more crewmembers there are the “better” it gets. It is a series constructed to be 1500 chapters and probably something like 1000 Episodes long. Something from chapter 1 gets relevant like 400 Chapters later. Character and plot threads are not forgotten and woven carefully. The first hint (HINT!) of something like a main story is after 130 Episodes and the introduction to something like the big antagonist is 151 Episodes in.

It is true that the Anime doesn’t compare to the Manga but this is only true for the later parts of the Anime. At the beginning there are only a few “edits”. How did get Luffy the scar, what happened really to Zeffs leg and a few other “mistakes” but it is mostly done really well. I usually advice people to watch the Anime for the first 130 Episodes (until the Alabasta arc) and then switch to Manga.

Now to your question. The first arc where you see the first hint (HINT!) of Odas talent is the Arlong Park arc. Arlong Park starts at Episode 31 or at Chapter 69. Do not skip right straight to it but watch all the other Episodes or read all the chapters until it. I advise you to watch it even when you have read until then the Manga because it is more emotional with voices and music. If you don’t like Arlong Park then it is a safe bet that you will not like the rest of the Manga even though it gets better by the arc (except filler of course).
The first 100 chapter or 64 Episodes are introduction. The first major arc starts after that and the first variety of Islands and world building starts than. So if you like the Arlong Park arc you are in for a ride. One Piece is the second best shonen after FMA but the one I enjoy the most.
Aug 31, 2011 4:32 PM
Jan 2009
thanks for responding all. I started reading the manga and so far its better than what I remember in the anime. I'm thinking that I will probably just continue reading the manga instead of watching the anime since I have such a crappy internet connection, plus I don't want to go through the trouble of avoiding the fillers.
Sep 2, 2011 4:16 PM

Aug 2008
outlaw98 said:
thanks for responding all. I started reading the manga and so far its better than what I remember in the anime. I'm thinking that I will probably just continue reading the manga instead of watching the anime since I have such a crappy internet connection, plus I don't want to go through the trouble of avoiding the fillers.

The fillers are still worth the watch IMO but yeah, if you don't want to watch the filler, just read the manga.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 26, 2011 6:08 PM

Jan 2010
In my opinion, the entirety of their time in East Blue is a bit of a joke compared to the rest of the series.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Sep 26, 2011 6:51 PM
Feb 2010
Never, Its a waste of time.
Sep 26, 2011 8:15 PM

Aug 2010
I say it was amazing since episode 1. But the show gets really good when the Crocodile arc starts.
Oct 15, 2011 5:47 AM

Sep 2011
Around Arlong Park.
Though my favourite arc out of all the 'early' arcs is still Chopper's.
Oct 17, 2011 11:21 AM

May 2011
This is a stupid question IMO. The second they showed Shanks in Episode 4, it became legendary.
(Maybe I'm biased, but that is my honest opinion since I've seen the rest of the show and can tell how those episodes set up later ones.)

Anyways, about your question... I guess Baratie arc is when it changes drastically. They introduce a shichibukai and give you a good idea on how the grand line is going to be. Also one of the crew members betray them and you'll get into a new arc dealing with that. So [Baratie/Arlong Park -- current] is when I say it improves even more. There is no 500+ show in the world that has consistent 10/10 episodes. HOWEVER, you will notice the significance of older episodes as you follow through the story.

If you still think its crap, One Piece might not be for you, go watch Pokemon or something.
Jul 7, 2014 12:31 AM
Jul 2018
Seems we gained another great user today.
Jul 7, 2014 12:32 AM
Jul 2014
jpem said:
Seems we gained another great user today.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. I'm a nice guy, I love anime and manga. The post irked me, and I felt it was unfair. That's all.

And, for what it's worth, I apologize to anyone I may have offended/annoyed. That was not my intent, obviously.

I won't speak on behalf of you, but I know as a manga/anime fan, I get picked on by some of my friends/peers/whatever, and I'm in grad school now. I don't like the fact that I feel like I have to hide my manga anytime someone passes me while I wait on a class to start. It's nice to see a thriving community here, many members of which, I'm sure, have dealt with the same kind of feelings. Honestly, I'm sorry. I just don't particularly like people calling other people who may be getting into manga or this branch of manga for the first time stupid, and belittling them. That's all I meant.
InProblematiqueJul 7, 2014 12:46 AM
Jul 7, 2014 6:38 AM

Apr 2013
I also had a hard time getting into one piece at first.

the arc where they introduce usopp was incredibly boring imo.
but the show most definitely gets better...alot better.

the baratie /arlong arc is where it starts to get really good.

although imma be honest i didnt like the alabasta arc. Crocodile was a good villain and all that, and the story is super important to the plot line.
But i felt it was boring, and kinda dragged out.

I enjoyed the sky island arc alot more. and water 7 was a masterpiece in my mind.
Although its still not a good as impel down/marine ford

anyways like everyone has told you just stick with it.
Eventually you will start to like it and then eventually start to love it.

also you can't really compare FMA to one piece. fma is a fairly short series and it wastes no time getting straight to the good stuff.

where as OP is a long running shonen. It needs to take its time, introducing characters and giving their back stories. even some of the early villains will make a comeback later on.

so yeah just wait it out
Jul 8, 2014 7:04 PM

Nov 2012
Just keep going. Not all the intro arcs are bad contrary to what some people say, the only one I didn't like terribly much was Usopp's. My favorite arcs so far are Arlong Park (near the beginning!) , Water 7/Enies Lobby (most common favorite arc I believe among OP fans), Impel Down, Marineford (epic), Sabody Archipeligo (Supernovas+crazy shit) , Dresrossa (obvious reasons) so far.

I think the first time I remember really getting into one Piece, like many others, is with Arlong Park arc, and some of the events in Sanji's intro arc are really well done. The Baroques works arc was just okay, Alabasta was solid IMO.

I think the only arcs I really disliked were Skypia, Thriller Bark (- the ending), Punk Hazard (Damn kids, please for the love of god don't watch the anime version of this arc..). The Foxy Davy Back Fight arc is dragged out and not good in the anime too.
midnightbladeJul 8, 2014 7:09 PM
Jul 8, 2014 7:08 PM

Jan 2013
I never ... and I really mean never got bored with One Piece.
It's still going strong from episode 1, sure some arcs are a bit less interesting, but still enjoyable to watch.
Funny thing is that with Naruto / Ship I got bored with most fillers, but with One Piece filler (even though I didnt know what arcs were) I always felt it was an addition to the actual show and was interesting.
Jul 9, 2014 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
of course lot of people who just started one piece nowadays though that OP is childish or something like that, I mean what years did the first episode come out? of course you would though the animation was childish, and considering the first episode was Luffy centered arc, so basically the first arc was Luffy introduction and yeah you may call it childish but I call it funny.

So if you ask did One Piece get any better? just watch from episode 300+/400+ and decide for yourself, if you interested in it you'll eventually curious to "what happen in the past" of OP and make you watch from episode 1.

One Piece barely have any filler arc/eps so don't worry. and about the slow pacing, well if you an manga viewer who watch anime of course you'll be bothered because there's a lot of epic thing in the manga that you want to be animated as soon as possible.
Jul 11, 2014 2:43 AM

Apr 2010
Can't remember the arc name, when Crocodile is the main antagonist, that's where it really got good for me. Before that it was decent most of the time with some good bits.
Jul 11, 2014 4:34 AM
Dec 2013
To me one piece really started to get better after the usopp arc, the battle vs don krieg was cool.
Jul 19, 2014 11:22 AM

Apr 2011
My favorite analogy:

You plant seeds in your garden. For days all you see is dirt. You water the area, and weeks pass. Slowly a stem becomes visible... but in no way is it particularly attractive. In the mean time though, you plant a few more seeds. With nurture and care slowly these seeds and stems blossom into the most beautiful of flowers. First there are only a few, and passerbyes care to only glance. But the flowers blow more seeds, you plant more seeds... time passes... and eventually the garden is filled to the brim and no one can turn their eyes away. It's beautiful. It's gorgeous. That's One Piece.

One Piece is all about planting the seeds... and no one knew or expected anything particularly astounding. It was just about an idiot pirate afterall. But they sprouted so magnificently. There's so much planning and Oda's fastidious nature just makes the series great. There are so many little things and foreshadowed moments that many don't see until it slams them in the face.

If you want a series that pays off... One Piece is the best choice. It takes patience though.

Now, if the garden is filled with flowers... and you like pumpkin patches... well... there's no helping that, right? *shrug*
Feb 13, 2015 9:55 PM
Feb 2015
Got mixed feelings about the series. One piece never really got my attention as the art style and the weird way of movements mainly. Always felt like a stoner series.

As a lot of people praise it and it has a lot of content which only gets better and better from what i heard i forced myself to get through the start of the series just to see if the series clicked with me.

I watched now 139 episodes ( half way season 5 ) and i think i got a fair idea on how the series is really.

The start of the series was interesting, it was a new take on anime that i didn't saw before which was refreshing. Also the story pushes really fast forwards which was soemthing i liked. As most anime get stuck on a certain area with endless amounts of episodes where not much happens in ( or is filled with filler material ).

So the start was actually interesting of the series, i had to get used towards the art style that's for sure.

I also find it interesting on how the series pretty much copy's all kinds of idea's from other anime's or disney or whatever else and forms its own version of it. Which is interesting.

The pinocchio arc was absolute the most horrid at the start, that almost made me quit the series entirely. I just had to push myself through it terrible. The whole char can be deleted in my opinion. And i hope he won't last much longer in the series, but he probably will.

I like the relax laid back and not so serious kind of tone the anime has specially at the start.

Then the nami arc started and i got pulled back in, the story was really good with the mermaid fish dudes. I liked it a lot and gave me enough fuel to push me forwards in the series. I got some kind of naruto feeling from it at that point.

The series moved again fast forwards after some filler material and after some great encounters with that sword dude and the steam dude the serie got more depth on that the main char can't just take down everybody in a sec.

I really wanted the story to hit the grand line and moves forwards to see him hit the one piece or whatever dangers would be in there.

The start of the grand line ( pinocchio whale ) was again a interesting weird take on it and soon after that they met some giants which was a interesting story but dragged forwards to long in my opinion.

I liked that they introduced number enemy's much like what bleach has with there enemy's. and that they moved fast through them by defeating them.

Then the desert part started with really strong enemy's which i really wanted to see how that would end + got a dejavu towards the nami part only on a more workout out level.

But the arc was filled with fillers that dragged on and on and on which made it a incredible sore to sit through it. Also "gaara" enemy was a interseting take on it.

That arc kinda burned me out entirely tho even while there where interesting parts in it. I just wanted it to be over with, way way way to much episodes spend on it. It's not what one piece was before it. They should have shortened it way way more.

Now the story mvoed forwards and all kinds of filler islands and other bore ministory's accure which are absolutely dreadful. I will force myself through another 3 seasons probably as i read that soon the story will pick up again.

But i honestly don't know if i can sit 16 seasons through this stuff.

It seems to be a hit and miss at places. The alabarca or whatever it was called just burned me out entirely on it.

I'm now watching some fire works episode and after i finished that some monkey dude and a robot island aka filler filler filler, and i reached a point where i just fast forwards through episodes to see if there is something interesting going to happen.

My conclusion after 140 episodes is that the series needs to be cut down by somebody. just get rid of all the filler material and move from story straight into another interesting story. Cut the horrible fillers and cut some of the longer arc's like the sand arc with the sand guy into a more watchable experience.

For new people towards this, if you got nothing else to see this will probably entertain you on some level if you skip through the boring parts. Otherwise i would just skip it entirely.

The good content is to sparse to sit through the endless hours of anime.

- based on the first 140 episodes.

edit ( watched another 160 episodes at 300 now)

Watched a bit more lately i'm now currently at episode 297 and probably will finish to 300 today. I basically watched the skyland arc and currently at ernest island ( goverment ) which is probably wrapping up soon. All the fillers in between are hardly remembered anymore.

As i heard the water 7 is the most favorite arc for a lot of people i really wanted to see why and kept on going.

The sky island arc was interesting at first, ( mysterious + incredible powerful god ) but soon ended up in the same never ending arc as the sand one. It overstayed it's welcome way to long. A cut down version would probably make the arc a lot more watchable.
I basically ended up having the same impression as the sand arc when the final boss fight started to happen, i just wanted it to be over with so we could jump to a new story. ( lol at the ending of it tho ).

Good arc if it would be cut down considerable much like the sand arc.

The water 7 arc was interesting, because i heard good reviews about it. And i wanted to know more about the hand girl nakami that they ended up picking up ( not good with names). I heard that all get explained there. A lot of people also seemed to find it one of the best arcs there was to the serie so i couldn't wait.

When i saw the ice dude, ( i love ice chars in general ) i got stoked again. I really wanted to see what would go forwards. When the island got introduced i didn't think much of it as to why would this island be interesting at all. But when the story progressed it get better and better. I liked the Italia kind of influence with the sinking city and the flood ( the netherlands ) that would happen. I liked the back story's of the characters. And i liked that there where incredible strong chars that simple where seen to be unbeatable and that luffy really was in danger here and couldn't just stream roll to victory. They really had a big issue here where i really wanted to see how they could beat them or progressed against them.

I liked how the island had a dark environment instead of a lighter one.

Once water 7 wrapped up ( atleast i think it ended probably not ) they moved on towards the ernest island). I liked this concept as it gave me the feeling that the story moved forwards drastically by moving forwards towards a different island. I got the feeling that i wasn't stuck in a palce forever which i hated in the arcs before it ( longer ones ) and that i got a fresh new beginning again even with the same chars and enemy's.

I couldn't wait to see what happens on the island and i wasn't disappointing at the start of it, the progression into the island also did go fast and i really wanted to see how they could ever possible do damage towards them or to get there girlfriend back again.

Then the story dropped some of my interest personally all of the sudden. The big issue with it was that somehow in those few episodes of chasing over the water they all got a massive power boost and can damage those enemy's that where practically unbeatable before. Everybody seemed to get a power up ( the dam reindeer, zorro, bruce lee, the girl with her staff ), it just made no sense to me at all.

And luffy seemed to power up towards super saiyan 1 out of nowhere and pushed towards super saiyan 2 on top of it in a matter of 3 episodes. I was "what the hell is going on lol". Why didn't he used this before? did he suddenly got a power up out of doing nothing? Oh the hell he got even another power up on top of it.

Anyway, the fights started to happen, and i hoped that either they would be dealt with in 1/2 episodes per fight end just end it with that as they suddently could easily attack them ( made no sense to me ) but instead it started to grind like a slow turtle forwards again like hte other arcs did.

Good luck our little friend ace did get some action again in a episode, and frankly i'm more stoked about the ice guy + ace in future episodes then anything else atm. The main act dropped the ball a bit to much in my vision.

I'm currently at them collecting keys and beating the crap out of c9, but i'm already started to bend towards the point of becoming a drag again where i just want it to end. The 20 episodes to finish up a fight is becoming frustrating.

Anyway i hope it ends soon, because the fights are becoming idiotic to say the least, it probably will drag on for another 100+ episodes tho.

After this arc ends i will probably only resort towards some fights on youtube or something to the chars that i like and just read some wiki's on how things progress to wrap it up in a day or two. Because i can't see myself currently sitting through another 300 episodes where half of it is just dragged out content to drag the story forwards as long as possible.

gatygunMar 7, 2015 3:58 PM
Feb 13, 2015 9:56 PM

Dec 2012
Episode 1, Chapter 1.
Feb 15, 2015 12:06 PM

Apr 2011
gatygun said:

Also "gaara" enemy was a interseting take on it.

I may be wrong, but I think that Crocodile came out before Gaara... I looked up the first appearance dates... Croco first appeared in chapter 125, which was released in March of 2000. Gaara's first appearance was in chapter 53, which on the wiki has no release date. If you do the math though, Naruto chapter 1 came out in September of 99... meaning 53 chapters later would MINIMUM be September of 2000... meaning, unless my numbers are wrong, Crocodile was introduced before Gaara...

I know I'm nitpicking, but I hate it when there are insinuations of copying... that are a bit.... >.> You may not have been trying to insinuate anything, but I grew curious enough. Croco came before Gaara teehee :3

Onto some of your other points: to each their own. I loved all the parts you seem to have anguished through. There actually is a OP-filler series out there called One Pace. If you wanna look it up *shrug*. It follows the manga and gets rid of all the padding and filler so.... might be for you.
Feb 15, 2015 12:16 PM

Dec 2012
Never. Either you like it or don't for the mindless ''fun'' that it is.
Feb 15, 2015 12:24 PM

Nov 2010
tsudecimo said:
How cute.
Feb 17, 2015 6:25 AM

Oct 2010
It took a while before I actually picked up One Piece (I started during the timeskip of the Manga a couple of years ago)

Before that I had tried to get into it before but never gotten past a couple of episodes. This time however, I was hooked by the Arlong arc. It has since grown into one of my favourite animes of all time, especially out of the long running ones. Oda is great at world building and weaving everything together. You really get the feeling that the world is huge.

Of course, it isn't flawless (no anime is). but it keeps me interested even after 700++ chapters. You can also see Oda improve. Just look at the first chapters compared to now.

I would always reccomend at least watching/reading past the arlong arc as that is the one where you really wee Luffy as not just an idiot and really defending a crew member.

I know One Piece might not be for everyone, but I would never not reccomending it and at the very least urge them to check out the first few arcs :)
Feb 17, 2015 9:33 AM
Apr 2012
I became a fan of one piece at the Arlong park arc. Thats when it separated itself from other shonen and showed that it wasn't just a goofy comedy show with the occasional fight, well at least in my opinion. So around episode 30 i think?

One Piece is by far my favorite shonen but it has a terrible, terrible hook. Now that I actually like the show, I would say it's been good from the start but remembering back to when I started, I only ever thought the beginning was okay, especially when comparing to the beginning of Bleach or Naruto which have far stronger beginning episodes. (again imo)

Hope you give it a good shot, the pacing is weird but I think its worth it in the long run.
Feb 17, 2015 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
I loved it right away, but I also read it.
The anime sucks, awful pacing and terribly dated animation.
Feb 17, 2015 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
Volume 1,chapter 1 ,page 1.

Seriously now for me I got in love with One Piece at the Chouchou part,Shanks and everything before ChouChou was also really emotional tough but not as much for me.
Feb 17, 2015 7:00 PM

Dec 2012
Ookami-Kaze said:
I became a fan of one piece at the Arlong park arc. Thats when it separated itself from other shonen and showed that it wasn't just a goofy comedy show with the occasional fight, well at least in my opinion.

It's quite common for battle series to have drama.
Feb 17, 2015 8:44 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:

You're a Naruto fan. It's mindless minus the fun. Back down.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Feb 17, 2015 10:33 PM

Dec 2012
Polyphemus said:
tsudecimo said:

You're a Naruto fan. It's mindless minus the fun. Back down.

Oh wow, you are alive.

Says the school days, Nisemonogatari fan. Yeah I can shitpost too.
Feb 18, 2015 8:38 PM

Sep 2011
First of all, I don't know why anyone would "push" themselves to read anything. If you aren't enjoying the manga then by all means drop it. Honestly, bottom line all that matters is that you like it. Not what everyone else thinks.

That said, a lot of people usually get "hooked" by Arlong Park. The Arlong Park Arc is one of the first turning points in the series, and the first real major arc. It's got a bit of everything. It's like a small preview of what is to come. If you aren't digging the characters, story and pacing by then; you should most likely drop the manga. Some others will suggest Arabasta but personally I think that arc is a bit long winded and you would have to get pretty far into the manga to even reach it. So by then, you should already have made up your mind about the series.

Also, for the love of god, don't skip to Marineford. I've seen people suggest this before in other topics. It's one of the most idiotic things anyone can suggest.

The most important thing you should take from reading One Piece is that it's an adventure manga first and foremost. This isn't Bleach or Hunter x Hunter, which are more traditional battle mangas. The battles in One Piece, while numerous and important, aren't the core of the series. So if you are looking for mindless action and fast pacing; you probably wont find it here.

I liked One Piece from chapter 1. So it's hard for me to make an unbiased opinion here. This is one of those series that I believe has something for everyone. If they are willing to give it a chance. There are very few people that outright loathe One Piece and everything about it. Usually even the most ardent haters (at least the ones that have actually read the series) tend to find something they like about it.
FullmetalRaikouFeb 18, 2015 8:45 PM
Feb 19, 2015 1:20 AM

Dec 2012

The most important thing you should take from reading One Piece is that it's an adventure manga first and foremost. This isn't Bleach or Hunter x Hunter, which are more traditional battle manga

One Piece is a traditional battle manga, adventure being it's main genre doesn't change that, same goes for Dragonball (a lot of battle manga have adventure as one of their genres) . And I really wouldn't call HxH traditional, especially compared to One Piece..seriously. It's main appeal is that it's atypical.
Feb 19, 2015 8:32 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:

The most important thing you should take from reading One Piece is that it's an adventure manga first and foremost. This isn't Bleach or Hunter x Hunter, which are more traditional battle manga

One Piece is a traditional battle manga, adventure being it's main genre doesn't change that, same goes for Dragonball (a lot of battle manga have adventure as one of their genres) . And I really wouldn't call HxH traditional, especially compared to One Piece..seriously. It's main appeal is that it's atypical.

Like I said, it's an adventure manga first and a battle manga second. I don't think One Piece follows the traditional battle manga setup as much as Bleach and Dragonball. Those two mangas focus on battles from the beginning of an arc to the end. It's one big action packed melee. One Piece arcs tend to have a lot of world building and exploration in the beginning with battles in the middle/climax and a big party at the end.

I think Yu Yu Hakusho is probably a better choice than Hunter x Hunter when it comes to more traditional battle mangas. Only reason I mentioned Hunter x Hunter is that fight analysis in that manga and arcs like Heaven's Tower and Hunter Exam. HxH also has more adventure/exploration arcs like Greed Island and early Chimera Ant, so I would say it leans more to adventure than battle.
Feb 19, 2015 8:33 AM

Sep 2014
Starts getting good after Arlong Park in my opinion
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
May 17, 2015 5:42 PM
May 2015
I'm only on episode 50 but I can say so far I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. The fact that some of you are saying it just gets better from here has me excited to keep watching. I want to complain about some of the filler episodes but really they provide story for the rest of the show, so yeah. Great show!
Jul 2, 2015 11:23 PM

May 2013
I enjoyed/was okay with the beginning. It gets really good during the Arlong arc- that's where it really picks up.

Nov 14, 2015 12:06 PM
Feb 2015
gatygun said:
Got mixed feelings about the series. One piece never really got my attention as the art style and the weird way of movements mainly. Always felt like a stoner series.

As a lot of people praise it and it has a lot of content which only gets better and better from what i heard i forced myself to get through the start of the series just to see if the series clicked with me.

I watched now 139 episodes ( half way season 5 ) and i think i got a fair idea on how the series is really.

The start of the series was interesting, it was a new take on anime that i didn't saw before which was refreshing. Also the story pushes really fast forwards which was soemthing i liked. As most anime get stuck on a certain area with endless amounts of episodes where not much happens in ( or is filled with filler material ).

So the start was actually interesting of the series, i had to get used towards the art style that's for sure.

I also find it interesting on how the series pretty much copy's all kinds of idea's from other anime's or disney or whatever else and forms its own version of it. Which is interesting.

The pinocchio arc was absolute the most horrid at the start, that almost made me quit the series entirely. I just had to push myself through it terrible. The whole char can be deleted in my opinion. And i hope he won't last much longer in the series, but he probably will.

I like the relax laid back and not so serious kind of tone the anime has specially at the start.

Then the nami arc started and i got pulled back in, the story was really good with the mermaid fish dudes. I liked it a lot and gave me enough fuel to push me forwards in the series. I got some kind of naruto feeling from it at that point.

The series moved again fast forwards after some filler material and after some great encounters with that sword dude and the steam dude the serie got more depth on that the main char can't just take down everybody in a sec.

I really wanted the story to hit the grand line and moves forwards to see him hit the one piece or whatever dangers would be in there.

The start of the grand line ( pinocchio whale ) was again a interesting weird take on it and soon after that they met some giants which was a interesting story but dragged forwards to long in my opinion.

I liked that they introduced number enemy's much like what bleach has with there enemy's. and that they moved fast through them by defeating them.

Then the desert part started with really strong enemy's which i really wanted to see how that would end + got a dejavu towards the nami part only on a more workout out level.

But the arc was filled with fillers that dragged on and on and on which made it a incredible sore to sit through it. Also "gaara" enemy was a interseting take on it.

That arc kinda burned me out entirely tho even while there where interesting parts in it. I just wanted it to be over with, way way way to much episodes spend on it. It's not what one piece was before it. They should have shortened it way way more.

Now the story mvoed forwards and all kinds of filler islands and other bore ministory's accure which are absolutely dreadful. I will force myself through another 3 seasons probably as i read that soon the story will pick up again.

But i honestly don't know if i can sit 16 seasons through this stuff.

It seems to be a hit and miss at places. The alabarca or whatever it was called just burned me out entirely on it.

I'm now watching some fire works episode and after i finished that some monkey dude and a robot island aka filler filler filler, and i reached a point where i just fast forwards through episodes to see if there is something interesting going to happen.

My conclusion after 140 episodes is that the series needs to be cut down by somebody. just get rid of all the filler material and move from story straight into another interesting story. Cut the horrible fillers and cut some of the longer arc's like the sand arc with the sand guy into a more watchable experience.

For new people towards this, if you got nothing else to see this will probably entertain you on some level if you skip through the boring parts. Otherwise i would just skip it entirely.

The good content is to sparse to sit through the endless hours of anime.

- based on the first 140 episodes.

edit ( watched another 160 episodes at 300 now)

Watched a bit more lately i'm now currently at episode 297 and probably will finish to 300 today. I basically watched the skyland arc and currently at ernest island ( goverment ) which is probably wrapping up soon. All the fillers in between are hardly remembered anymore.

As i heard the water 7 is the most favorite arc for a lot of people i really wanted to see why and kept on going.

The sky island arc was interesting at first, ( mysterious + incredible powerful god ) but soon ended up in the same never ending arc as the sand one. It overstayed it's welcome way to long. A cut down version would probably make the arc a lot more watchable.
I basically ended up having the same impression as the sand arc when the final boss fight started to happen, i just wanted it to be over with so we could jump to a new story. ( lol at the ending of it tho ).

Good arc if it would be cut down considerable much like the sand arc.

The water 7 arc was interesting, because i heard good reviews about it. And i wanted to know more about the hand girl nakami that they ended up picking up ( not good with names). I heard that all get explained there. A lot of people also seemed to find it one of the best arcs there was to the serie so i couldn't wait.

When i saw the ice dude, ( i love ice chars in general ) i got stoked again. I really wanted to see what would go forwards. When the island got introduced i didn't think much of it as to why would this island be interesting at all. But when the story progressed it get better and better. I liked the Italia kind of influence with the sinking city and the flood ( the netherlands ) that would happen. I liked the back story's of the characters. And i liked that there where incredible strong chars that simple where seen to be unbeatable and that luffy really was in danger here and couldn't just stream roll to victory. They really had a big issue here where i really wanted to see how they could beat them or progressed against them.

I liked how the island had a dark environment instead of a lighter one.

Once water 7 wrapped up ( atleast i think it ended probably not ) they moved on towards the ernest island). I liked this concept as it gave me the feeling that the story moved forwards drastically by moving forwards towards a different island. I got the feeling that i wasn't stuck in a palce forever which i hated in the arcs before it ( longer ones ) and that i got a fresh new beginning again even with the same chars and enemy's.

I couldn't wait to see what happens on the island and i wasn't disappointing at the start of it, the progression into the island also did go fast and i really wanted to see how they could ever possible do damage towards them or to get there girlfriend back again.

Then the story dropped some of my interest personally all of the sudden. The big issue with it was that somehow in those few episodes of chasing over the water they all got a massive power boost and can damage those enemy's that where practically unbeatable before. Everybody seemed to get a power up ( the dam reindeer, zorro, bruce lee, the girl with her staff ), it just made no sense to me at all.

And luffy seemed to power up towards super saiyan 1 out of nowhere and pushed towards super saiyan 2 on top of it in a matter of 3 episodes. I was "what the hell is going on lol". Why didn't he used this before? did he suddenly got a power up out of doing nothing? Oh the hell he got even another power up on top of it.

Anyway, the fights started to happen, and i hoped that either they would be dealt with in 1/2 episodes per fight end just end it with that as they suddently could easily attack them ( made no sense to me ) but instead it started to grind like a slow turtle forwards again like hte other arcs did.

Good luck our little friend ace did get some action again in a episode, and frankly i'm more stoked about the ice guy + ace in future episodes then anything else atm. The main act dropped the ball a bit to much in my vision.

I'm currently at them collecting keys and beating the crap out of c9, but i'm already started to bend towards the point of becoming a drag again where i just want it to end. The 20 episodes to finish up a fight is becoming frustrating.

Anyway i hope it ends soon, because the fights are becoming idiotic to say the least, it probably will drag on for another 100+ episodes tho.

After this arc ends i will probably only resort towards some fights on youtube or something to the chars that i like and just read some wiki's on how things progress to wrap it up in a day or two. Because i can't see myself currently sitting through another 300 episodes where half of it is just dragged out content to drag the story forwards as long as possible.

Quoting myself as i cant somehow edit it.

After a half year i finally made it towards the end. Watched all of the 716 episodes that are currently available.

I couldn't go on anymore for months because i was burned out on the series. I had the feeling at some point ( prison with different levels arc ) that they where just rewinding episodes and renaming them for the sake of slowing down.

After a break i started up and just sat through the whole prison sage and frankly, it was terrible it remembered me of naruto and the world war they are fighting. It's just a endless drag forwards that just never ends. Anyway it ended and i was thankful that i could move forwards.

Then the marine saga started and i loved it, finally saw whitebeard and other powerful pirates go bezerk against the goverment strongest. Best sage in my vision. Even while even this sage dragged forwards way to long. The endless running scenes got old fast. Sucks that ace died, the only really interesting character in my vision and the ice dude is also interesting. It sucks he basically got replaced by that weird eyed friend friend of his that has simple not the same soul into the character as ace did. Kinda dislike him atm.

Then the story moved on towards that fish island where we would finally move into the next world, i got the starter fibes again from the serie ( when it still was half way decent ) that we would finally move into far better pushed out fights and higher tier enemy's with better fight solutions.

I also liked how luffy and the others got a boost on power level through the years of training which made them all interesting again. ( good lord that it didn't took 100 episodes to go through that part tho ).

After arriving at the water island, i was really interesting in it as it felt like the start of the sky island + mysterious stuff going on. But soon i found out they tried to milk the island for way more then it should have been. It was a rerun of what i already saw in many other episodes. Trying to drag forwards in a filler type of way just to push quantity of episodes out over quality.

The island etc much like sky arc was just getting horrible boring and i got tired of it really really fast. But atleast we would see some stronger cast to see how they would deal with stuff. I liked that the water part crippled them tho.

After endless of filler episodes even this arc came to a end good lord, and we moved on towards the main arc we are in now.

I was shocked by the fact that when i ended 716 we where still stuck on that island. I was hoping that i would be able to see way more of the nwe world and where the story would be going. But that didn't happen, because they have to build this arc out so insanely much that every single non interesting character needs to have its own story, it's own saga + we have to pusht hem into 3 rounds of different scenario's which would bring a ton of episodes forwards.

Atleast this wasn't as painful then the other arcs, it still was a sore to sit through.

My conclusions about one piece as a newcommer towards the serie is therefore, don't waste your time on it. Just youtube luffy fights and arcs and be done with it. There is practically way much filler to sit through it all.

Wait until somebody cuts it down into a more watchable experience. It would probably be better if they made a 10 piece serie of 1,5 hour each to go through everything. I could see how 1,5 hour is enough to go through every single arc without any issue. Or just skip it entirely.

Even while i wasted a metric ton of time on this serie, i still got a feeling that i will probably follow it in the long run. I will probably wait a year before 100 episodes are released so i can atleast see the end of this saga in one go, as clearly watching a single episode every weak isn't going to bring you much result in one piece at all.

But i willl drop it for now.

Anyway i'm out.
Nov 14, 2015 7:13 PM

May 2015
gatygun said:

My conclusions about one piece as a newcommer towards the serie is therefore, don't waste your time on it. Just youtube luffy fights and arcs and be done with it. There is practically way much filler to sit through it all.

Wait until somebody cuts it down into a more watchable experience. It would probably be better if they made a 10 piece serie of 1,5 hour each to go through everything. I could see how 1,5 hour is enough to go through every single arc without any issue. Or just skip it entirely.

Even while i wasted a metric ton of time on this serie, i still got a feeling that i will probably follow it in the long run. I will probably wait a year before 100 episodes are released so i can atleast see the end of this saga in one go, as clearly watching a single episode every weak isn't going to bring you much result in one piece at all.

But i willl drop it for now.

Anyway i'm out.

I agree that the series can unnecessarily drag on, but it's not..filler. That's the big deal, it's story content, watching the fights and being done with it is not reading the story..well, the intended way. I understand not liking the story, but it's the story, there are alot of characters and alot of plot points(I think having too many , ala Dressrosa, is bad though), it should be understandable that's it's going to be long from the very beginning. It has hundreds of episodes.

That being said, it's no surprise one would get tired of a 700 episode series, but you should really make prior judgement that you aren't going to be able to sit through a 700 episode series. That's alot of intention wasted time.

You realized it was 700 episodes from the beginning, I understand quality being a concern, but I don't understand quantity being a concern if you knew what you were getting yourself into in the first place.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Nov 14, 2015 10:02 PM

Nov 2010
At first I never thought One Piece is that good. This is back when I'm watching Naruto and One Piece at our local tv channels and it was subbed in our native language. Back then Naruto was the best for me. It all change when my brother brought a cd of One Piece containing the Water 7 and Ennies Lobby Arc(original japanese dubbing with english sub) . After that I bought DVD of One Piece starting from episode 1. That's the time I realized what have I been missing all this time. I love every second of it. I think One Piece are not for everybody though. That the reason why some people love it so much are also the reason why others hate it. This is a manga that is already on 800 so I think if you're not enjoying it then you should drop it already otherwise you'll be wasting a lot of time reading/watching something you don't like. Or like me, you could try watching Water 7/Ennies Lobby arc at first, fell in love with it, and see it that there's a reason why it is the best selling manga every year.
People dont fear GOd, for fear itself is God.
Nov 18, 2015 11:43 AM

Nov 2012
Just because a lot of other people like something doesn't mean that you will automatically like it too. If you don't enjoy anime/manga after trying it out, there's really no reason to keep torturing yourself and forcing yourself to watch/read something you're not enjoying.

An example kinda of related is my opinion on Steins Gate and No Game No Life. Not to say that I hated these shows, but the vast majority of people who watched them absolutely were bat shit crazy in love with these shows and I just thought they were okay/decent, and saw almost nothing in them that would make me think very highly of them at all. So just because almost everyone else seems to like these shows doesn't immediately mean I would be of the same opinion.
midnightbladeNov 18, 2015 11:47 AM
Nov 19, 2015 5:18 AM

Jan 2008
From chapter 1...seriously, Romance Dawn is one of the best shounen manga opening chapters I've ever seen!
Nov 19, 2015 5:28 AM

Jun 2012
Never
Nov 24, 2015 7:12 PM

Oct 2013
If your favorites are FT and TTGL, you should like one piece.
It gets good from episode 31
Really good from episode 229
Great from 264
Holy Shit this is epic from 285
One piece is the best from (457-489)
And starts again like shit from episode 523 :D. But gets better.
If you like to read the manga after you've watched the anime you should start from chapter 700.
Nov 24, 2015 8:44 PM
Jan 2014
One Piece gets good?

Hmmm ... who knew?
Feb 3, 2016 3:59 AM

Feb 2013
One Piece is okay, until the Alabasta Arc starts and thats when I think it starts to get good.
And then it just keeps progressing.
Feb 7, 2016 5:20 PM
May 2010
InProblematique said:
IntroverTurtle said:
First of all, childish =/= bad. And people in this thread and people in other threads have said that they started to like it at the Arlong arc, so you don't have to watch it until you feel it's not worth your time anymore, you can take their advice so you know for sure if it's right for you.

And personally, you don't sound any better than he does.

If you would please point out where, in my post, I said that childish is bad, I would be grateful. In fact, as I was getting out of the shower just now, I was coming here to amend my post to say, "so what if someone likes something lighthearted."

I have absolutely no problem with One Piece fans. As a fan of Bleach and Naruto, I dig longer manga/anime, and am actively trying to get into One Piece. Which, you know, I said. In my first post. You know, the one that you quoted. I want to like it, and since everyone tells me to stick with it, I'm doing so.

The reason I even found this thread was because I typed the question into Google. I wanted to know the opinions of people who are more familiar with One Piece on when they think it gets better, if they think it doesn't get better, etc. I read all of the responses here and felt fairly positive that it would be worth reading and watching for quite a bit longer. Which is exactly what I'm going to do.

My problem with the post I called out is the fact that it was incredibly demeaning. "This is a stupid question." No, it's not. Plenty of people ask it, and everyone here was perfectly capable of giving a civil response without calling out the intelligence of the OP.

And don't pretend that "go watch Pokemon or something" line he tossed in wasn't demeaning. It was a smack in the face to people who love anime and manga, but just don't get into one series. If I don't get into One Piece, I'm too stupid to understand, so I should just go watch Pokemon? Come on. People have different tastes. It's part of what makes manga and anime so amazing.

I was offended because I felt like he was calling out my intelligence by proxy. I wanted to know the answer to the same question, and I get to the bottom and find someone telling me it's a stupid question and I should just go watch Pokemon.

A - As you mentioned, there's nothing wrong with people who enjoy Pokemon.
B - He's the one that used it in a derogatory manner
C - I don't like people who shove people into corners with hostile answers to perfectly legitimate questions. It annoys me, because it quells debate and discussion on the matter. And since that was the last post in the thread, he obviously did a good job of quelling it for a few years.

I'm not going to sit behind a keyboard and read something that offends me and just sit here if I have a chance to say something.

I love manga and anime. I'm not judgmental of anyone that reads any medium of manga. I do, however, have problems with people who can't politely answer questions without hostile undertones the entire time.

If that makes me as bad as him, then fine. Whatever. I respect your opinion. I disagree with it, but I'm not going to sit here and call you stupid over it.

And for what it's worth, I just went through and watched Yu-Gi-Oh! (the very first series) for the first time since I was in like seventh, like 12 years ago. I will probably watch Pokemon again too. Does that make me stupid, and the subject of being called less than intelligent? If the answer to that question is yes, then I guess I should toss the bachelor's degree I have in psychology, and go ahead and call it quits on the master's degree in biology I'm currently working on.

Excellent reply, you deserve all my respect; and that's really hard to achieve.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion

FMmatron - Apr 23

27 by SamBlack »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 799 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Georesa - Sep 2, 2015

228 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 798 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2015

138 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

32 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 8:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Apr 22, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.