Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2011 11:28 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We are currently looking for intelligent and helpful individuals who have a passion for manga and would like to contribute to MAL's manga database.

All manga moderator positions are voluntary.

A manga moderator's duties include:
- Knowing, understanding and executing the Manga DB Guidelines.
- Cooperating with other mods and admins in the general maintenance of MAL's database.
- Approving/denying manga/mangaka/character additions and edits submitted by users.
- Adding new/improving existing manga/mangaka/character entries.
- Documenting denied entries via the Merges/Removals/Denials thread.
- Monitoring the Modifications thread and Manga DB Support board regularly to answer user questions.
- Idling in our IRC channel as often as possible.

If you feel you have the time and motivation to perform these duties on a regular basis, you may apply for a manga moderator position by completing a two-step application:

1. Submit a manga entry that we do not currently have in our database via the add manga link. This may be an old title or a new title.

2. Send me a PM including the following:
- The manga title you submitted (in Step 1).
- Your time zone and age (must be at least 17).
- A paragraph describing why you are interested and why you feel you are qualified. This should include what demographics and/or genre of manga you primarily read (ex: shounen, hentai), how you read manga (ie: raw manga, scanlations, licensed manga), and which aspects of MAL's DB you could help improve beyond regular maintenance duties.

As an example: "I'm up-to-date when it comes to reading scanlations and can help add/approve new series soon after their release." or "I am well-versed in Korean and read a lot of manhwa, so I would be able to better improve this area of the manga DB." Please understand there is no right or wrong answer here, but rather is a means for us to diversify our manga moderator team for better effectiveness.

Submissions will be open for two weeks, ending on August 12, 2011.

I look forward to reading your applications! Thank you for your interest :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 29, 2011 11:48 PM

Dec 2010
Can I add hentai?

Or would you prefer a normal manga? Because as it is, MAL is missing a lot of hentai.
notsureifsrsJul 29, 2011 11:57 PM
Jul 30, 2011 12:02 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Yes, you can add hentai.

It would make the most sense for your submitted entry to tie in with what you feel you would bring to the database. So if hentai is your "specialty", certainly.
Jul 30, 2011 12:45 AM

Nov 2010
Do we need to read alot of manga?
Jul 30, 2011 2:25 AM

Sep 2009
notsureifsrs said:
Can I add hentai?

Or would you prefer a normal manga? Because as it is, MAL is missing a lot of hentai.

Go for et. More power to you!
Jul 30, 2011 2:35 AM

Nov 2007
ayeyosteven said:
Depends on your definition of "a lot". Having a manga list as small as mine probably wouldn't help.

Keep in mind, the less you know, the more research and cross referencing you'll have to do when working through submissions. You'll also be exposing yourself to a lot of spoilers.
Jul 30, 2011 4:14 AM

Nov 2010
XJC said:
ayeyosteven said:
Depends on your definition of "a lot". Having a manga list as small as mine probably wouldn't help.

Keep in mind, the less you know, the more research and cross referencing you'll have to do when working through submissions. You'll also be exposing yourself to a lot of spoilers.

Good call. I would love to help, but I would probably only moderate already well-managed series and the spoilers are a serious blow. I respect anyone who takes this commitment.
Jul 30, 2011 9:55 AM

Jul 2010
Would be very cool to have this job, but it seems like it takes a lot of time and would be complicated :\
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2011 11:12 AM
Jul 2011
Question!

I've been reading hentai doujinshis pretty much every day since late 2008. I find the hentai documentation on MAL to be pretty lacking, and would finally like to contribute somehow. But I exclusively read hentai, so I'm not up to speed with the "safe" manga scene. Would it be okay to apply as some sort of "hentai moderator" or should I just send in submissions as an ordinary user? I'm fine with either, but it just seems like you are lacking moderators in that department.
Jul 30, 2011 11:22 AM

Aug 2008
Ideally, we'd like several new mods, so having at least one with a strong hentai background is certainly of interest. But we're also looking for people with other interests who are willing to help out on a regular basis, so I don't want anyone to think it's a requirement. I'm concerned with "hentai doujinshi" though--make sure the submissions conform to the current manga db guidelines. They have to be original works of published artists and not use characters the artist didn't create. You're always more than welcome to submit as a regular user as well using this form.
shinkeikakuJul 30, 2011 11:31 AM
Jul 30, 2011 10:01 PM

Nov 2010
XJC said:
ayeyosteven said:

Like do we need some serious commitment to reading manga? My list is pretty small..
Jul 30, 2011 10:03 PM

Dec 2010
If you really want the position you may as well give it a shot.
Jul 31, 2011 2:16 AM

Nov 2007
I'm kind of interested, but I don't read much manga anymore recently...
tsubasaloverAug 1, 2011 9:51 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 31, 2011 3:13 PM
Jul 2011
shinkeikaku said:
Ideally, we'd like several new mods, so having at least one with a strong hentai background is certainly of interest. But we're also looking for people with other interests who are willing to help out on a regular basis, so I don't want anyone to think it's a requirement. I'm concerned with "hentai doujinshi" though--make sure the submissions conform to the current manga db guidelines. They have to be original works of published artists and not use characters the artist didn't create. You're always more than welcome to submit as a regular user as well using this form.

Thanks for the answer! And I only read original works, so you won't see any NarutoxSasuke submissions from me! :)
Jul 31, 2011 5:06 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Is there a min/max number of positions available, or will that depend more on the quantity/quality of the submissions you receive?
Jul 31, 2011 5:31 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Will depend on quality and quantity. We'd like to take on as many potentially capable moderators as possible (obviously without taking on too many), but likewise we aren't going to struggle to fill a certain quota. The last few years we've gone on internal recommendations only, but we figured we'd give applications another shot.
Jul 31, 2011 11:53 PM

Jul 2009
Mmm, I'm also quite interested, but despite I know many manga, I don't have added much to my list. Hmmm....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2011 6:54 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
As for having read a lot of manga as a requirement, no, it's not really a requirement but in a position like this it is really recommended. The more you have read the more you know, and the more you know the easier it is to know what is going on in the DB. On the surface things seem cut and dry but a lot of titles have all sorts of exceptions to the standards one must figure out, or there is just very little info on a title.

Now that being said you will gain a lot of knowledge about manga and probably get interested in many more titles. I've nearly tripled the amount of titles I have read/is reading from about 270ish to 848 in the few years I've been a moderator. I have to say I've learned a lot and got into a lot of stuff I never would have otherwise if it wasn't for this position.
Aug 2, 2011 3:35 AM
Jul 2011
I wouldn't mind going for this, but i'm only 15... pain in the ass but what can i do. I'll just keep reading manga and see how it goes.
Aug 2, 2011 10:03 AM

Jan 2011
Considering I almost never read manga and only watch anime... I think I'll have to pass... Such a shame though, I want something a bit more "important" to do and then this were posted now... I became 17 years old a couple of days ago so it's almost like gods call ;D (Yes I'm talking about the one and only god from Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai!).
Aug 2, 2011 12:20 PM

Dec 2010
It doesn't have to be about hentai, the conversation just sorta steered that way. (blame it one me bringing it up)

I'm sure they'd appreciate somebody who reads other things more
Aug 2, 2011 12:34 PM

Aug 2008
What he said^ Chances are, if someone just listed all the hentai they read as is, it would violate our guidelines of merging oneshots with tanks anyway.

Manga mods were/are typically chosen from those who demonstrate knowledge and an eye for detail. We don't need someone who is going to work against us. That said, you don't have to read hentai or have a list as long as mine, but you should at least... read manga regularly and have some presence on MAL. There are no hard numbers or "correct" answers for this, of course. For the last ~2 years, we and those before me could easily see this through database submissions/edits, but we decided to try the old method of applications. It doesn't hurt to apply, but not everyone who applies will get it obviously.
shinkeikakuAug 2, 2011 12:44 PM
Aug 2, 2011 1:07 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Shin you have read enough manga to quite literately kill a horse. Like if they just dropped it all one top of the horse it would be dead.

I think the big issue, isn't so much how much manga one has read, or what type, but how dedicated one can be to this position. I chalk it up to part of one of my major hobbies so I don't mind putting a few hours or more a week into it. There have been times when I haven't been busy at work and MAL was basically like a second job (which was good at the time because having nothing to do at work is really mind numbing), but since it is still a hobby I can scale my work on the site back if need be.
Aug 2, 2011 1:19 PM

Aug 2008
Brand said:
Shin you have read enough manga to quite literately kill a horse. Like if they just dropped it all one top of the horse it would be dead.

Haha, awww.. poor horse. Poor manga too, getting all that horse on it ;) My comment is more aimed to those we've seen who have 10 or less days or so. That's not very knowledgeable or dedicated to the hobby, which would not make them an ideal candidate.
shinkeikakuAug 2, 2011 1:22 PM
Aug 2, 2011 6:11 PM

Aug 2008
Then submit edits/manga series additions as a regular user and show dedication. Like already mentioned, the traditional way is for us to pick users from our regular contributors. They've demonstrated knowledge and commitment already at that point. There's never a set date on when we're "hiring."
Aug 2, 2011 7:14 PM

Aug 2008
Yes, we appreciate any user contributions.
Aug 3, 2011 1:03 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
You can keep track of such things yourself and post them in your blog and such (some of the mods do that) but I highly recommend checking out this thread "Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here." This is where a lot of people request changes and we will take notice if you give us good information and work with us.

Also being active in some of the manga related clubs like Hidden Gems of Manga doesn't hurt.
Aug 3, 2011 5:32 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
We don't hire based on number of contributions. Giving us a link to a blog with lists of "look how much I contributed" is great, but does not show moderator potential (quality over quantity). If you're submitting good quality edits/additions and have some presence like shin said, you'll get noticed.

You shouldn't be doing these things to get noticed either. You should be doing them because you enjoy them. Being a moderator and part of the staff team is a lot of fun, but it requires self-motivation and regular effort as well. It's not about being cool or having "moderator" under your nick... it's about improving and giving back to a site we enjoy. And the great part is: you can do both of these things as a normal user!! We rely very heavily on user contributions, since we can't read everything ourselves. And if you demonstrate knowledge and an eye for detail, then your submissions can be trusted and you may be asked to oversee other user contributions. We've had people deny our invitations to become moderators simply because they didn't want the responsibility, yet they still contribute regularly.

The application process is designed to open up the ability for users that make some regular contribution to the site as is, but may not be high-volume submitters. Maybe they start manga discussions, or only make minor edits, or read only (but many) popular series with entries that don't need much editing. These people will have manga knowledge and would like to further their contributions to the site, but don't make enough regular submissions to appear on our radars.

tl;dr: You shouldn't be asking how to contribute to the site in order to become a moderator; you should be asking how you can contribute to the site as a user. We don't want anyone who only wants to be on staff because they think it's "cool".
KinetaAug 3, 2011 5:39 PM
Aug 3, 2011 6:57 PM

Aug 2007
I remember I wanted to be a manga mob a few years ago, but I wasn't in the age range. ;u; Now that I am in the age range, I'm kinda in the stage where I'm split in two, where I'm debating if it's worth signing up or not? Like I'd love to help making manga entries better, preventing duplicates, and denying the over-submissions of webcomics, but since MAL is kinda glitchy in mobile devices (blurry and blanked-out pages), which i have finally submitted an entry from one, I just don't know if I have enough time on my desktop. Where did my motivation go? :o
Aug 3, 2011 11:06 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
I would like to apply for a position.

Here's my MAL history and note these aren't all the ones I've added. Just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Over 90% of all the manga I've added to this site are H-Manga titles. I add them regularly myself because whenever I do a search for them, nine times out of ten their not here.

Now as to why I'm applying, their is no deep meaning behind it. I noticed you guys are looking for help and I'm willing to offer it. I like this site and have been a active member for almost two years. I sign in regularly to update my list and try to improve the Hentai side of the site as much as possible lol. I have a pretty good understanding of the DB guidelines after so many failed attempts early on when I first started contributing to the site and read them plenty of times to get a grasp on what can and cannot be uploaded.
Aug 3, 2011 11:18 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
@KuroDubZero:
Kineta said:
1. Submit a manga entry that we do not currently have in our database via the add manga link. This may be an old title or a new title.

2. Send me a PM including the following:
- The manga title you submitted (in Step 1).
Aug 3, 2011 11:29 PM

Apr 2008
he's just providing a sample application ^^

Aug 4, 2011 12:01 PM

Aug 2011
If you accept me I would like to try, I'm still adding all the manga I'm reading or the ones that I've already readed.

I've applied a manhwa already that didn't existed but it is still waiting aproval. And I've seen that there isn't another one that I'm reading too...

(There is a lot in this topic that read hentai xD)

Aug 4, 2011 10:44 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
While I don't want to discourage anyone from applying... the fact that you just joined 2 days ago kind of disqualifies you. We didn't set a hard limit on join date, but obviously we don't really want someone brand new to the site to be moderating it. I hope you understand.
Aug 5, 2011 11:03 AM

Aug 2011
Just because I'm new in the site it doesn't mean that I can't do my work properly. I'm not a kid and I have a long list and time spent reading manga and seeing anime. I think that disqualificating me just for that is unfair, but ok. Hope you will get really good moderators with looooot of time registed in MAL.

Aug 5, 2011 1:30 PM

Apr 2009
Wouldn't mind applying, but with school starting very soon, I might not have enough time. Doubt I would qualify anyways. Despite the huge amount of manga I WANT to read, I don't actually read much anymore, due to a combination of manga being expensive and the fact that I have had my computer crash after getting on a manga site far too many times. And I don't have much "presence" on the site either.
Aug 5, 2011 1:38 PM

Dec 2007
MissMoon91 said:
Just because I'm new in the site it doesn't mean that I can't do my work properly. I'm not a kid and I have a long list and time spent reading manga and seeing anime. I think that disqualificating me just for that is unfair, but ok. Hope you will get really good moderators with looooot of time registed in MAL.

Even if you would make a great manager, would your employer promote you during your first week on the job?

MyAnimeList doesn't need otaku, we need people that are knowledgeable with anime/manga and are compatible with the rest of the team. The attitude you put up shows lack for the latter.

Job/Function interviews, how do they work?

┐('~`;)┌
Aug 5, 2011 2:06 PM
Mar 2011
if theres a post open id like it
im a Mod on 2ch
i Hold a Mod or admin Rank on five different Anime and or manga Sites
i Read/Watch alot of Manga/Anime not as Much as as i you to

im very Knowing on the Topics that are Discussed here

im more Pre deposed to Older stuff but i will read/watch Newer stuff but
there you go

so just to say im happy to help

im also a Little Bit of a Historian of the Medium
DateYutakaAug 5, 2011 2:19 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 5, 2011 2:16 PM

Aug 2011
Chavez said:
Even if you would make a great manager, would your employer promote you during your first week on the job?

MyAnimeList doesn't need otaku, we need people that are knowledgeable with anime/manga and are compatible with the rest of the team. The attitude you put up shows lack for the latter.

Job/Function interviews, how do they work?

┐('~`;)┌

I'm not simply an otaku and I don't see this as a promotion, I see this as helping a site that needs more help in something I like and enjoy. What attitude did I do so that I can't be compatible with the team? I just said what I though without badmouthing. I even hoped for the best for the site, is that a bad thing nowadays? -_-'

If I started 2 days ago, a month or more doesn't mean I'll have less or more experience with the site or in the things I would moderate. Thats just what I though that was unfair, but I said already that is ok. I just came to MAL because a friend of mine really pushed me into this so that he could compare with me, nothing more. Since I saw that you were needing help I oferend myself for that, is just that. Have a good work moderating...

Aug 5, 2011 3:49 PM

Feb 2007
A really cool manga mod suggested I apply, but is it worth my time? Would you instantly pass up an application because I quit being a manga mod in the past? I don't want to waste my time or yours by applying if I am instantly disqualified.
Aug 5, 2011 4:34 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I won't instantly disqualify you. However, I would hope you'd be applying because you want to and not because of a really cool manga mod. If you're not, then I'd say don't bother.
Aug 5, 2011 4:58 PM
Mar 2011
iv applied
just to say
form 7th to 14th i will be Down im changing ISP

but since Closing date for APPs is the 12th so yeah
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 5, 2011 7:00 PM

Feb 2007
Kineta said:
I won't instantly disqualify you. However, I would hope you'd be applying because you want to and not because of a really cool manga mod. If you're not, then I'd say don't bother.

I do not do other people favours, so no, of course not. It wouldn't even help or impress that cool mod anyways, so it would be even more foolish if I applied for them.
SY_IS_DEAD_IRLAug 5, 2011 8:14 PM
Aug 7, 2011 10:41 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Only five more days to submit your applications! Keep them coming :)

(Subtle bump... :D)
Aug 8, 2011 1:32 AM
Nov 2008
I'd apply, however I cannot suffice the first condition (you say you don't have to read a lot of manga, however, it'd kinda hard to not read a lot of manga and know about some obscure entry MAL doesn't already have) and my application would be automatically vetoed. :P
Aug 8, 2011 2:53 AM

Aug 2007
MissMoon91 said:
What attitude did I do so that I can't be compatible with the team?

Well, the moderators gave you a good reason, why you're currently not suitable for being a moderator and your answer cleraly shows that you're not able to deal with citique and this is also an imporant part when you want to be a moderator. Just because you can't become a moderator now, doesn't mean there's no chance to become one at all, but I highly doubt they'll consider you with this attitude.

If you're just here for just a couple of days, there's no way you can know all the functions MAL has to offer (when I joined, it took me 3 days until my lists and profile were complete). It's better to stay a while and help MAL as a user, learn about MAL and then decide if you want to take the job. You don't even know if you want to stay here for a longer time yet and you even said yourself you came here, only because a friend wanted to compete with you.

You know, they need competent people who know MAL and want to offer work for it, I highly dount they have anything against you in particular, so please stop behaving like someone trod on your toes and try to understand that your request is a bit unreasonable and instead of making a big deal out of it, you should just try to do what you can do for MAL as a normal user. If you really want to help MAL, you should just go for it, if you do a good job, they'll notice you and come to you at some point. Just read what has been posted to this matter before in this thread.
Aug 8, 2011 5:31 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Onibokusu said:
I'd apply, however I cannot suffice the first condition (you say you don't have to read a lot of manga, however, it'd kinda hard to not read a lot of manga and know about some obscure entry MAL doesn't already have) and my application would be automatically vetoed. :P

Being a mod isn't only about adding new entries to the DB there are a lot of other tasks to be done in relation to maintaining and making better the current entries. Having read more manga will help, but doing a position like this I find it hard to not end up reading more manga because I come across so many cool sounding things. Send in an app if you feel up for it! It can't hurt.
Aug 9, 2011 5:14 AM

Jan 2009
I had absolutely no idea this was even going on, I adore manga and have been reading for quite some time now. Been a member of MAL for a good while, not as long as the other veterans, but still. The daily tasks of moderating can seem daunting, but I think I'm up for the challenge. I made some wonderful friends here on MAL who also share similar manga taste and things of that nature, so in saying that; it would be quite the prospect to be able mod and help out the manga and anime community =)

I'll apply!
Aug 9, 2011 5:07 PM

Aug 2008
Considering many users submit manga additions on a daily basis (not uncommon for us to receive a few dozen in a single day), we don't think it's an unreasonable request. If you can't find a single entry to submit, then you're just not ready yet and need to keep reading.
Aug 9, 2011 6:16 PM

Aug 2008
We can get a few dozen submissions in a day, but not all are accepted of course. However, enough are valid. You have to check the just added page, but even that is misleading. It shows works in order of their database submission, not approval order. So if a mod picks off a few from the top of the queue that have been awaiting approval for a while, new entries will appear nested between other already approved entries and not necessarily on the top of that first page.

Promptness has nothing to do with it. With the resources already out there, there's literally thousands of manga, especially older ones, that could be hunted down that have information available in English. But you said it yourself--it does separate the men from the boys.. or women from the girls since the manga side often has more female mods. :3 You need to read the guidelines and submit something new and appropriate that conforms to them. It's like your teacher giving you a simple test to make sure you read the assigned book (with available cliffnotes and all :-p).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

231 by ParadiseSukai »»
May 6, 11:57 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.