Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 28, 2011 3:29 AM

Sep 2008
Awesome awesome awesome! Loved both the OVA episodes.
Dec 28, 2011 12:18 PM

Nov 2007
shadowii said:
Karasuchan said:
Kanami and her mom are the proof that the shiki and the villagers could have coexisted after all ... if any of the sides cared to listen the other one ...
also the proof of the kirishiki's guilt. Kanami's mom only got that far because she woke up while her guards were lazing around and so wasnt thrown in a cage and gradually trained to kill people like the rest were
THIS. Very much so. This is why Sunako's survival irked me so much.
The newborn Shiki were basically forced to kill when a lot of them didn't really want to. All just because Sunako was a selfish spoilt child who'd go to extreme lengths just to momentarily cure her loneliness.

That aside, I did really enjoy this episode. Motoko is absolutely insane. I do pity her though. I feel bad for Kanami too. It would have been great if she could have lived happily with her mother, but no doubt there would have been a point where it just wasn't enough D: Her mother really is an amazingly strong person, nearly like Ritchan.

A Kaori/Akira episode really would have been nice, but oh well. Motoko's father-in-law's the guy who attacked (or was going to attack) Akira iirc. I guess Natsuno must have appeared then to save him.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Mar 1, 2012 1:13 AM
May 2007
Natsuno, I miss you so much. I wanted to see you again! If only there's a way to get more special episodes like these! I seriously think of re-watching this series. One of the bests out there!

Jul 5, 2012 8:54 PM

Aug 2010
HOLY SHIT!! that's one crazed woman!
Aug 1, 2012 2:44 PM

Jul 2009
wow wtf she was everywhere!!!!!

i didn't even knew she was in the tunnels when the killed Nao.

she was also in the bridge with Ozaki, the gun shooting, even delivering the bodies

another victim :(

i feel sorry for her, everyone in her family died, on one notices besides Kanami.

her son peeling, so she was the one when i saw an episode of a blue girl in the bath tub getting swarm by insects.

and wow she literally turns against Kanami her only friend.

shame they didn't show the scene where the villagers did to her??(did they only killed her mother)

so Ritsuko and Tohru just died just like that??

no dialogue etc?!?!

disappointing T__T

and wow she burns the home of his father i think and with herself.

so that's why they were some fires from that one episode.

for me the last one is 22(i watched this in order from Blu Ray aniplex)

shame i don't think they'll show characters like show Kaori vs Megumi, Akira(what happened to him) same with Shiomi(satoko's been looking for her), and tamotsu and Yuuki's father.

wish the series was a 26 episode :P
SomaHeirAug 1, 2012 2:49 PM
Sep 3, 2012 7:34 AM
Sep 2011
Great episode i like how they showed profile of broken mum who lost everything but i wanted to see Tohru and Ritsuko <_< but still good episode
Oct 4, 2012 12:31 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very good depiction of how slowly someone can go insane. Scary stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 5, 2012 8:09 AM

Feb 2012
So that's who started the fire. I thought it was Natsuno's one useful act.

Guess he really didn't do much aside from defeating horn-guy, biting Ozuki, and saving Kaori and Akira (who were pretty useless anyway).
Oct 29, 2012 3:03 PM

May 2012
Quite a nice backstory, don't really know why they've put it between the 2 last episode but hey I don't mind still quite a nice episode!

8/10 for the specials!
Nov 25, 2012 12:35 PM

Nov 2011
The specials were among the best episodes of the entire show. I think I felt more sorry for Motoko than almost anyone else in the village (aside maybe from Ritsuko). She was one of the only people to take the unfolding events seriously, but the combination of her awful mother in law, and the events transpiring elsewhere in Sotoba (like the clinic being closed due to Ozaki torturing his Shiki wife in the basement) basically sealed her fate. I thought it was a nice touch that she started the fire. It was almost like her bottled up rage for her father in law became so fierce that it ended up destroying the entire village when she finally cracked.
Jan 6, 2013 1:18 AM

May 2010
Now, how did those flies get into the bathroom when she sealed it up so tightly...
Feb 6, 2013 6:58 PM

Jan 2013
8.5/10 for the specials.
Really amazing
Feb 26, 2013 1:56 PM

Jan 2012
Kind of gross episode.

May 12, 2013 1:31 AM

Jan 2012
the underground was good but this one...
some random crazy mom went crazy and fucked over everything

KUSOBABA out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 1, 2013 3:52 AM

Mar 2010
motoko :[
Jul 6, 2013 3:08 AM

May 2012
Oh, so she is the one who burned the village. I was wondering how the fire started. Glad that I watched this..
Jul 14, 2013 5:21 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Oh I'm glad they didn't leave out who started the fire. I wouldn't say she had a good reason to, but it makes sense considering the mental state she was in. I guess it was the combination of a lot of bad luck that led to her becoming psycho, like how her mother-in-law was a total bitch, how when she needed a doctor, the Ozaki clinic was closed, and when she finally decided to go to the other clinic, it was also closed. But it still sucked that she sold out her friend's mother. Kanami was an interesting character, that despite her mother turning into a shiki, she still wanted to help her and agonized over how her mother was in pain because she was hungry. And her mother too, terribly sad, how she didn't want to drink Kanami's blood. But the part I'm going to remember always is
Cho_Desu said:
Ugh... the part where she stroked her dead son's hair...
(shudders)
Jul 30, 2013 2:13 PM

Jan 2012
I'm glad I decided to watch these episodes after thinking over watching them or not. These 2 episodes were AWESOME! Should have been in the actual series!
Aug 10, 2013 9:20 PM
Feb 2012
why did the granny have to be soo cute....
Nov 21, 2013 3:53 PM

Sep 2012
Not only is Shiki one of the greatest things I have ever seen, but these specials were just the icing on the cake, though this episode has to be my favourite of the two (and probably the whole series).

Motoko was excellent. Perfect example of when it all gets too much for someone.
Dead son in her arms, scalp sliding off, first time an anime has given me such a big case of the creeps.

The little granny was adorable.

10/10
Dec 4, 2013 8:46 PM

Mar 2012
I feel sorry for all these people going crazy because of the freaking vampires ;_;
Dec 8, 2013 2:17 PM

Oct 2011
She really had no luck with her family but how did she let her son die like that? He looked pretty healthy when they started sitting there. Did he say nothing while starving to death? And how did she survive like that until he starts to rot? xD

The only part I disliked was when she told them that Kanami's mother rose. She was one of the few good shikis... :/
RiukixDDec 8, 2013 3:24 PM
Jan 9, 2014 10:28 AM

Jul 2012
RiukixD said:
She really had no luck with her family but how did she let her son die like that? He looked pretty healthy when they started sitting there. Did he say nothing while starving to death? And how did she survive like that until he starts to rot? xD

The only part I disliked was when she told them that Kanami's mother rose. She was one of the few good shikis... :/
non of the shiki was bad non of them changed in personality or anything
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jan 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Jun 2013
Weird to see the other werewolf Yoshie with her hair down in this episode. I noticed her because she has those yellow eyes.
Jun 27, 2014 7:13 PM

Feb 2009
RiukixD said:

He definitely was bitten before she locked herself in, though I can't tell how many times. So he was anemic and hypnotized. Kuso jiji...
Jul 5, 2014 6:23 PM

Aug 2013
Watching a mother's decent into madness was crazy.
My Candies:
Aug 26, 2014 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
Boring ep for me. 2/5
The first special was worth seeing tho
Sep 22, 2014 10:05 PM

Feb 2013
Wow her husband was a real douchebag, just sitting there doing nothing after his mother slaps his wife right in front of him. Not to mention he goes and comforts the mother afterwards like she was the victim, glad they both got what they deserved in the end.

But yeah this episode was really creepy, especially the scene where she brushes back her sons hair and we just see his rotting skin @_@.

5/5
Oct 25, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2014
that was gross when the kid's scalp fell off.

I like how the mangaka/creator put so much thought into the minor characters to distinguish them from one another. Motoko was a common housewife, but she was one of those overprotective mothers. Really interesting to see her descend into insanity. Same with Kanami's story. It was cool to see that not all humans reacted the same way to their relatives becoming shiki. I also liked that Kanami didn't let herself get bitten, but instead drew blood from herself.

Props to the mangaka. I really admire the character cast as a whole!
Mar 15, 2015 10:18 AM

Jan 2014
Damn. Good episode.
Mar 30, 2015 12:35 AM

Jul 2014
I'm glad I'm watching this. This is so intense. Her craziness is purely believable.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Aug 13, 2015 2:55 PM

Oct 2013
what the fuck...

How exactly did Motako's son die? Did he just starve to death because his mother went crazy and wouldn't let him leave the room? Was I supposed to know who Motako was prior to this episode?

This anime is so depressing. ;-;

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 18, 2015 1:39 PM

Feb 2013
Zadion said:
what the fuck...

How exactly did Motako's son die? Did he just starve to death because his mother went crazy and wouldn't let him leave the room? Was I supposed to know who Motako was prior to this episode?

He was bitten by a shiki. You can see the marks on his ankle before his mom takes him into the tub.
Dec 20, 2015 8:22 PM

Jul 2013
Bowl hair-chan is best girl.
gedata said:
Zadion said:
what the fuck...

He was bitten by a shiki. You can see the marks on his ankle before his mom takes him into the tub.
It doesn't work like some kind of snake bitten wound. If you could keep someone from being bitten again, they won't die then turn. I'm guessing he died by starvation or something since she's batshit so it would make sense to make it a rule for not ever leaving the tub.
Mar 11, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2014
Damn you, old man.
Damn you, old man.
Damn you, old man.
I beat you, old man.

So powerful. 10/10
Motoko Maeda best character!
Apr 12, 2016 4:49 AM

Apr 2009
Finally this episode answered my question of who started that stupid big fire in the village.

9/10 for both these episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
The moment her son's scalpel was revealed ... that got me.
Sad seeing such a caring housewife go into madness, understandable though.

Motoko :(
Oct 20, 2016 2:43 AM

Jul 2008
Just WTF....she was bat shit insane.
Dec 22, 2016 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
What a memorable minor character was Motoko. She basically destroyed an entire town that was already destroyed. All of this happened because of that damn old man.
Both specials are both worth re-watching for next year's Halloween. Even though I watched Shiki a few days before Christmas.
removed-userDec 22, 2016 4:00 PM
Mar 22, 2017 10:12 AM

Sep 2016
enjoyed the fuck outta her crazyness tbh, this was not as amazing an episode as the first special but different enough that it was amazing in its own right.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

May 9, 2017 2:45 PM

Nov 2016
I feel kinda like a douche for laughing at the last 3 min or so. Nevertheless poor Motoko :[

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 9, 2018 5:19 PM

Mar 2014
I don't understand. What was that building she burnt down and why?
May 28, 2019 10:07 PM

May 2008
Man, oh man. I think this was my favorite episode of all of Shiki. Just seeing the overprotective mom lose it is worth more than 24 mins! When the boy's scalp slid off, her barely there reaction, and how she tells Kanami "He melted in my arms" like it's not big deal was amazing stuff.

Then seeing how she was there for everything yet no one notices her is even better.

It was messed up how she ratted on Kanami, though. I don't think Kanami would have forgiven her even if she survived. I'm sorta glad we don't see her mom get staked, she was genuinely one of the few good shikis and I liked what that implied.

Mokoto starting that fire, smiling, as she melted to death... Pure gold; truly a memorable scene.

Too bad we never got to see kuso baba die, that bitch needed an on-screen death! (I can't tell if it was as shiki death or not either.) Same with Mokoto's husband.
Jun 30, 2019 11:35 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Motoko started the fire!!!

Joking aside, I felt bad for her as her children were the only thing she had and when they were gone, she had nothing left while everyone else around her did. I wonder if we go back to watch the anime, we’ll see her walking around prior to the fire?
Dec 22, 2019 12:46 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm completely speechless right now, just one episode we get to see so much, a lot of loy threads linked together while we observe this innocent-looking mother turn into a crazy witch that you wouldn't want to get near.
Oct 5, 2020 9:56 AM

Dec 2019
In the end of the special 2 there's an preview saying "till the next week", is it supposed to have more specials?
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Jun 20, 2021 6:17 PM

Jan 2020
An OVA about a crazy woman who actually started the fire in episode 22.

I wonder if that old lady eventually killed by the villagers...

So it seems there's no continuation from ep 22. Shame...
Dec 11, 2021 3:01 PM

Mar 2019
Damn I'm so disappointed to see that she's the reason the forest was set on fire. I still don't know how her son died, he only got bitten once so he should have gotten better.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jul 17, 2023 12:29 AM
Aug 2018
Damn straight up the better than last ova, I legit cry seeing how innocent grandma looked and how they Get dragged into this, oh how i wish all shiki and village people be like these Mother daughter duo😔😔😔😔 , And Well....fuck you motoko for snitching and thank fk you too for starting the fire as well😩🤣
Jul 17, 2023 12:32 AM
Aug 2018
geekfreak17a said:
RiukixD said:

non of the shiki was bad non of them changed in personality or anything

OMFG THIS!!!! How are people blind to not see this in comments. My brain cells die literally when people say shiki bad, like bruh they literally the same people just with different body! How in the fucking hell they cheer on villagers as they kill their loved ones
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Specials Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

144 by Karva1 »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

» 9 new specials called Seishin`s Reminiscence?

astra_moon - Oct 8, 2020

3 by frack »»
Oct 29, 2020 4:19 PM

» Shiki Specials Discussion ( 1 2 )

Memphi - Dec 30, 2010

53 by hacker09 »»
Oct 5, 2020 9:54 AM

» Where do these fit?

ronri - Jun 28, 2012

4 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 18, 2015 3:30 AM

» shiki Original Soundtrack Mini Album Blanc

toons - May 28, 2011

2 by Valentiln »»
Jun 14, 2011 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.