Forum Settings
Forums

I can't help but wonder how many levels I'll gain...

New
Jun 5, 2011 4:09 AM

May 2008
It’s like we’re playing some RPG, crawling through a dungeon where you can’t get any experience until you finally escape. But when you finally do, you gain this huge level-boost. What am I talking about?

I can’t wait for my stats to update. I love MAL’s anime stats -- like how many days you’ve spent watching anime (and kind of wish we had more parameters). But I’ve seen so much anime since my anime stats stopped updating, that I feel like there’ll be a big stat-explosion when they do start working properly.

I may just be a severe optimist about this, but who else is actually enjoying the wait?
FauxAznJun 5, 2011 4:22 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 5, 2011 4:17 AM

Jun 2008
I thought MAL solved a lot of the lag and non updated stats this last few months. Is that not the case?
Maybe i should check. I haven't bother to see if they are actually correct.

Other than that am a little o_0 at you words. So you treat the Mal stats like some online RPG?
I can just imagine you staying awake through the night to watch one more anime so you can level-up lol. Sorry but it does sound a little ridiculous.
Jun 5, 2011 4:31 AM

Dec 2009
I think you wording is a bit silly, but I kind of agree with you.
Although I do enjoy what I watch, I still like to show off. This is maybe why I usually don't re-watch a series that I complete.... because I want to add more onto my list as quick as possible and show off.

Its funny since I didn't have that mentality until a little after I joined this site.
Jun 5, 2011 4:43 AM

Feb 2005
Well, unlike in a RPG, the MAL stats doesn't actually do anything, it's not like I'll be able to win arguments more easily be referring to my bigger total watched. Alright, so it may be a point, but you hardly win arguments with that alone, not the interesting ones anyways.
Jun 5, 2011 8:51 AM

Apr 2011
Monad said:
Other than that am a little o_0 at you words. So you treat the Mal stats like some online RPG?
I can just imagine you staying awake through the night to watch one more anime so you can level-up lol. Sorry but it does sound a little ridiculous.

It's ridiculous but not that ridiculous. More like funny ridiculous.
Since I only recently joined my stats for everything are at 0 but I can share his excitement waiting for my stats to actually reflect what I've seen/read.
Jun 5, 2011 9:02 AM

Jan 2009
Baman said:
Well, unlike in a RPG, the MAL stats doesn't actually do anything, it's not like I'll be able to win arguments more easily be referring to my bigger total watched. Alright, so it may be a point, but you hardly win arguments with that alone, not the interesting ones anyways.

They will be able to stroke their e-peen because they have seen more anime then me or you.

No I don't care about my anime stats and no I have noticed no server lag lately when updating my anime or manga.
Jun 5, 2011 10:01 AM

Jul 2008
I think its kinda neat XD
..and there is a lag, it hasnt updated for me and its been a couple days.
Jun 5, 2011 10:32 AM

Mar 2010
I don't even notice stats anymore, and it doesnt bother me if they dont update, You'll be just fine.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 5, 2011 11:14 AM

Jun 2009
Monad said:
That would be great: MAL as an MMo. Then we can make the different factions official, Moellaince and The Elitist Horde. Each can have separate races based on their favourite subgenre of moe/anime: dandere, tsundere, yandere, etc. for moe and miyazaki, space opera, cyberpunk, etc. for elitists. Classes can be based on your favourite character for the Moe side and your favourite anime for the Elitist side.
Jun 5, 2011 11:28 AM

Aug 2008
DrHouse said:
Monad said:
That would be great: MAL as an MMo. Then we can make the different factions official, Moellaince and The Elitist Horde. Each can have separate races based on their favourite subgenre of moe/anime: dandere, tsundere, yandere, etc. for moe and miyazaki, space opera, cyberpunk, etc. for elitists. Classes can be based on your favourite character for the Moe side and your favourite anime for the Elitist side.

1) Anime watching isn't a game. No one cares how much you've seen.

2) Plenty of anime suck and aren't worth any time or attention.

3) These "classes" already exist among the different "clubs" around here. Thankfully, none (or few if any) of that MMORPG crap happens here.

Yet, I'll admit. If it weren't for this site, I probably would have kept up with anime less. I missed a bunch of series between 2006-2008... 'cause I wasn't up to watching as much. Ever since I've joined here and actually thought about how much I've seen -- I became more compelled to watch more.

However, maintaining that list isn't my main reason for watching anything. I have too many other things to divert my attention anyways.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jun 5, 2011 12:04 PM
Apr 2011
I don't mind much, I wish I could keep that kind of optimism. More or less I don't think about it much, although I wouldn't mind seeing my signature update every once in a while.
Jun 5, 2011 12:07 PM

Jun 2008
I don't see any aspect of a RPG here. Stats here doesn't do anything to you besides what you imagine them to be. In RPGs, stats improve your character, stats here does nothing. It also doesn't feel like an accomplishment since watching anime is a hobby. There's no difficulty (you don't need skills/training to do this), no rewards (besides maybe enjoying the anime you just seen, but the numbers themselves doesn't do anything intrinsically), and even something pointless as e-peen could be better shown in other areas than some number on your profile.

So I'm rather confused why you think this way.
Jun 5, 2011 12:10 PM

Apr 2011
Well, i'm new to anime, so i really dont care
Having 200 days spent on anime or not even 1, that doesnt change anything in my life at all, since i dont care what other people think about my stats. I know what i've seen, i know what i like watching, so why care about what others think about me and my time with anime?
Jun 5, 2011 1:19 PM

May 2008
Wow, people on this board are pretty serious. That, and the fact that so many haven't realized that their anime stats haven't been updating for a month probably added to the confusion.

Monad said:
I thought MAL solved a lot of the lag and non updated stats this last few months. Is that not the case?
Just look at your “watching” stat. It should be pretty clear by that. Or read this if you’re still not sure: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=298417

Anyway, the reference to RPG was a metaphor, and wasn't meant to mean anything but exemplify how one might feel once the stats start updating again. If any of you have played an RPG where you get tremendous experience from a boss fight, and gain several levels all at once instead of grinding them, you'll know the feeling.

That's all. I'm not sure where these "show-off" accusations derived from, but yes, I realize the stats here don't mean anything, and I don't care about another's stats either. But for me, it's neat to know how much anime I've seen, and how many days of my life I've spent on anime. I'm not building it up just to build it up (or increase "e-peen") because it's just a number that (obviously) doesn't do anything and doesn't mean anything to anyone else. But it's just nice to look at after a while to see how far you've progressed in the anime medium. It's for myself; not for others.

And KyuuAL, I'm sure DrHouse was at least half joking and hoping for a laugh. Easy, easy...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.