Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2011 1:31 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Everything happens because of Hermit's loneliness and the heart?? So sad.

lol~ those creatures from the special actually exist!

It ended peacefully.
tsubasaloverApr 7, 2011 1:35 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 7, 2011 9:17 PM

Oct 2007
I like how they were all scrambling to cram all those Chim Chims into a cannon. That was the most awesome part ever.
Apr 16, 2011 5:13 PM
Nov 2010
so, is nobody subbing this? My patience is slowly decreasing
Apr 16, 2011 6:44 PM

Aug 2009
^ I pretty much caved and went to watch the RAW version :( hopefully someone decides to sub it.
Apr 22, 2011 7:27 AM

Aug 2008
me too, I can't wait for the subs... if I watch this in raw, I'm sure to not understand anything ><
Apr 26, 2011 4:36 PM
Apr 2011
Oh that was nice, everything ended alright.
Apr 26, 2011 5:30 PM

Aug 2008
OH god, I finally watched it! yeahhh!

it was so touching! I almost shed tears >-<
I like the ending! :D

but there is one thing I didn't really get: how did sayaka got the wound at her back?
Apr 26, 2011 11:49 PM

Jul 2008
She has a microchip implant. (They were talking about it in the first episode.)
Apr 27, 2011 12:36 AM

Dec 2009
Nice to see a well executed .hack OVA, I've always loved the concept of it.
Apr 27, 2011 12:52 AM

May 2009
4/5
Liked it, and was good enuff, but i wanna moar~ :3
Apr 27, 2011 2:25 AM
Feb 2010
The ending was very confusing? What is it with the heart, the root coming into the heart etc. etc.??

And the ending seems to be incomplete. Emi returned, but what really happened to her then? And the tree and the suspicious man helping the cat?
Apr 27, 2011 5:40 AM

Aug 2007
@Dunkjoe:
Yeah. I think it's pretty clear they want to show more answers in the upcoming .hack media... Since they won't make games anymore I guess they will continue the story with the CG movie they planned. But I don't know when they will release it. I really hope to see Hermit/Touha again, in real life and well.

But the OVA was good IMO. 8/10.
Apr 27, 2011 7:04 AM

Aug 2008
cr4sian_phil said:
I like how they were all scrambling to cram all those Chim Chims into a cannon. That was the most awesome part ever.

Didn't expect them to show up until that. I was like, "Wow..".
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Apr 27, 2011 7:48 AM

Mar 2010
Dunkjoe said:
The ending was very confusing? What is it with the heart, the root coming into the heart etc. etc.??

And the ending seems to be incomplete. Emi returned, but what really happened to her then? And the tree and the suspicious man helping the cat?

and we didn't even get to see hermit in real life or what happens to him later.
Apr 27, 2011 10:25 AM

Jan 2010
Did Hermit had any relationship to the other #hack series?
Apr 27, 2011 12:00 PM

Mar 2010
FINALLY subbed, jeez.

Any ways, really good series~ I hope .hack never ends =3 (But I also wish they would release them all in English, like .hack//link video game).

Ah I also wanna see Haseo and company show up again sometime to.

Edit: Btw, wasnt hermit that one kid we saw in the hospital playing a game and looked out the window and 2 adults were crying? (I could be wrong..but I'm curious who that was now, I think it was him though in the past.)
This picture. It was at the beginning of episode 2, and it was when he got knocked unconscious and it switched to that scene..puts the visor back on and Hermit wakes up on the ground. (Which made me confused.. since ain't he supposed to be cryo-freezed?)
MoonFoxApr 27, 2011 12:26 PM
Apr 27, 2011 12:25 PM

Nov 2008
Starbrow said:
Did Hermit had any relationship to the other #hack series?

No

Apr 27, 2011 9:54 PM

Jun 2010
The ending felt rushed. Quite a few things are left unexplained.

MoonFox said:

Edit: Btw, wasnt hermit that one kid we saw in the hospital playing a game and looked out the window and 2 adults were crying? (I could be wrong..but I'm curious who that was now, I think it was him though in the past.)
This picture. It was at the beginning of episode 2, and it was when he got knocked unconscious and it switched to that scene..puts the visor back on and Hermit wakes up on the ground. (Which made me confused.. since ain't he supposed to be cryo-freezed?)

I was thinking the same thing. The ending makes no sense. :S
Apr 27, 2011 10:22 PM

Sep 2010
Pretty good overall. I'm still a little confused though.
Apr 27, 2011 11:17 PM

Feb 2011
Considering I have little to no prior experience with the ://hack series, I found this OVA to be extremely enjoyable. Ending was a little cheesy "All I want is a hug" after doing all that crap but meh, its whatever...

Apr 27, 2011 11:26 PM

Apr 2010
cguercin said:
Considering I have little to no prior experience with the ://hack series, I found this OVA to be extremely enjoyable. Ending was a little cheesy "All I want is a hug" after doing all that crap but meh, its whatever...

I said the same thing because I saw Quantum first but when I decided to watch the rest of the series I found the TV series to be quite boring and dull. It's always the OVA's that are more fun to watch.

Apr 28, 2011 1:21 AM

Jun 2010
Did anyone notice some of the .hack//link character cameo's during the episode?
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Apr 28, 2011 3:28 AM

Oct 2008
It's so cheesyyyy the ending! :(
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 28, 2011 7:47 AM

Jun 2009
artist_for_hire said:

They Cameo'd Orca, but instead of blue paint, he was green and not as refined as he usually was.
Apr 28, 2011 3:21 PM

Aug 2007
Alex_Yagami said:

MoonFox said:

This IS Hermit/Touha in real life. But that scene was just a memory which happened before his mind was digitalized. He couldn't distinguish really well between past and present (which was explained near the end of episode 3), so it was some kind of flashback he got sometimes (if I remember right, a piece of that scene was shown also in episode 3, again).
Apr 29, 2011 10:38 AM

Apr 2011
Nice ending. But I wish they show Sakuya and Hermit meeting it other again at then end. Still, it feels rush and lots of things left unexplained. I felt if they expanded to 12 epsidoes tv series than 3 OVAs things would make it clearer.

In the end I wanting more of this series, sadly, it ended. Oh well...
Apr 29, 2011 4:55 PM

Mar 2010
PandAEmiC said:
artist_for_hire said:

They Cameo'd Orca, but instead of blue paint, he was green and not as refined as he usually was.

I wouldn't really call it a cameo to be honest. "The World" is an mmorpg game basically. Aside from "illegally modified" characters, most pretty much are the same PC just re-colored. There's only a select few PC's to play as in "The World". Orca played a generic one iirc. (Not illegally modified)

Gladius said:
Alex_Yagami said:

MoonFox said:

This IS Hermit/Touha in real life. But that scene was just a memory which happened before his mind was digitalized. He couldn't distinguish really well between past and present (which was explained near the end of episode 3), so it was some kind of flashback he got sometimes (if I remember right, a piece of that scene was shown also in episode 3, again).

I thought that might be it after some pondering.. Hmm, I do hope there's more .hack coming, with perhaps a little more info about Hermit.
There's not a .hack I didn't like though.
Apr 30, 2011 5:17 PM

Sep 2007
I smiled when I saw Klarinette....or someone with the same PC as her....but considering that she's supposed to have a unique PC I think it was her....

But other than that.....this OVA made no sense with only 3 episodes....unless it's supposed to lead up to something else. As it doesn't really make any sense if you try to relate it to .hack//LINK

well except the Brain digitalize thing I guess....(which again makes me confused about the timeline of this in relation to .hack//LINK)

Ok I'll stop blabbing right there since most are clueless about .hack//LINK...And I'm just confusing myself.

Edit: ok nevermind....just read the complete guide, not confused about the timeline anymore <_<;
IkanoMay 1, 2011 8:12 AM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
May 2, 2011 4:26 PM
Dec 2007
Smooth ending to a great OVA, especially for a .hack// series. It was the best one along with Sign and Liminality (and GU Trilogy if you count movies for that matter), well-developped, with a significant production value and nice characters. 8/10

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 3, 2011 9:27 AM
Feb 2009
cheezy ending? maybe. but what else u think a kid could possibly asked?

overall a good anime for me 8/10
oblivious is a bliss
Jun 25, 2011 1:15 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
It was really amazing as OVA.

A great short story that fits into the length of a short anime movie (when you combine all 3).

Ok, we seriously need a new series of .hack OVA's.

and that ED song.... Yuuka just owns with this one. The song is REALLY good.
wakka9caJun 25, 2011 1:21 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 28, 2011 12:11 PM

May 2011
meh.. since i was a kid i always dreaming bout the world to become true..
but.. oh well... im just a kid talking with such a bullshit dream isnt it?
*dont mad at me*

by the way...
overall is 8.7
cause it gets my personal intresting....
i hope to see .hack series more too see it can be fixed well..
thats all.
Aug 16, 2011 3:09 PM

Feb 2009
I love the captain's little girl avatar xD
Overall,very good series. I really want to plat Dza Warudo too. xD

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Sep 3, 2011 11:27 PM
Jan 2009
Too short, but still good. I wanted to see the kid who was the cat.
Dec 16, 2011 9:03 AM
Nov 2011
I dunno if they intended this to be a teaser for game or a future series, but I was left wanting so much more. Pretty good group of OVAs
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Feb 13, 2012 2:58 PM

Apr 2009
Bandage on her neck? What is that? I thought it was clear she already has a microchip implant in her from the scene with her in the MRI. It's not even in the right spot for me to say it's from the chip being removed. Weird.

May 5, 2012 9:59 PM

May 2011
Damn good OVAs. They did an amazing job on the plot, the quality was perfect, and <3<3<3 Sakuya. I really enjoyed watching this! 9/10
May 10, 2012 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
That final episode really pulled things together. I really enjoyed that it had plenty of action going on since that's a rarity among .hack anime, and that scene with the chimchims just made my day. It was alright, but still nothing compared to the story of the games.
Jun 12, 2012 4:39 PM

Nov 2008
PandAEmiC said:
artist_for_hire said:

...? Bear was blue and Orca was green, weren't they?
Jul 13, 2012 6:03 PM

Jan 2011
The thing with the boy in the hospital confused me, too. It makes sense as a flashback, but it was so sudden there and not really utilizied.

And that small adhesive tape and the size of the wound suggest it was because of the micro chip, but wasn't it shown that she (and probably everyone, as standard prodecure) has the microchip just between the first and second rib or so?

I also didn't exactly the point of that cannon. They split that thing, whatever it was, another tree or whatever, but what was the point? It didn't bother Hermit at all. He still had that branch, so he could have proceeded. He didn't want to, but the cannon, or better, any action of Shamrock seemed pointless.

Also, was the sphere they encounted in the guild hall and later on the battlefield triggered by his Hermits death (as a character), or what?

@Bakazuki: Yes. The question is, did they cameo Orca or Bear then? They had slightly different patterns, so it should not be to hard to find it out, just too lazy and/or late (or early) to search for it.
Dec 8, 2012 2:14 AM
Oct 2008
Felt kinda rushed wouldve preffered a couple more ... oh well there is that CGI Movie... btw what happened to that
Jul 12, 2014 12:12 AM

Apr 2014
Tobias/Iori >>>> everyone else. Though the guildmaster was p. cool.

Honestly, I just want more female characters like her.

Great OVA. Fantastic ending song. 8/10
Nov 10, 2014 10:41 AM

Nov 2009
Well this was a fun OVA to watch and a nice addition to the Anime side of the .hack series! 8/10 from me.
Dec 27, 2016 9:52 AM

Jan 2010
This was a short but fun experience. I really like the energy and spunkiness Quantum brings to the .hack franchise, which I've come to associate with moodiness and atmosphere. Though, it does start to remind me of other anime of recent times like Kyousou Giga, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta, and Rolling Girls. There's less of an emphasis on world building as it seems to be more about the characters' relationships, and high school girls at that. Again, it was still fun, but it starts to blend in with other titles a little to closely. Kinda wish the series was longer, as it probably could have amended that nitpick. It probably could have also elaborated on it went from zero to End-of-the-World within such a short amount of time.
Jun 29, 2020 10:39 AM
Nov 2019
Definitely one of the best ovas i Hever ever seen
Oct 2, 2020 11:14 PM

May 2012
This was by far my most favourite chapter of the dot hack series. To convey a story like this in a very limited time window of three episodes is just amazing.

Really loved the ending if you ask me and I do wonder what continues after this and in the future!

More topics from this board

» This anime is above average

W3TFT - Feb 23, 2022

0 by W3TFT »»
Feb 23, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » .hack//Quantum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 29, 2011

51 by zetsu_shoren »»
Mar 19, 2016 1:09 PM

Poll: » .hack//Quantum Episode 2 Discussion

tsubasalover - Feb 25, 2011

19 by haydnwright »»
Nov 9, 2014 8:54 AM

» Photo-senso thing !?

gargS - Apr 21, 2013

0 by gargS »»
Apr 21, 2013 12:44 AM

» Is Quantum canon?

Cathedral - Jun 19, 2012

1 by wakka9ca »»
Jun 19, 2012 8:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.