Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 3, 2011 9:23 AM

Sep 2008
LOL guys, guys, GUYS! Do yourselves a favor and read chapter 12-14 of the manga again

And if you people honestly tell me you didnt forsee that Thorfinn might follow Thors' footstep[s (funny how many of you actually mentioned the guys dad...pretty forgettable character wasn't he? [/sarcasm] ) stop reading the manga. Seriously.

arff98 said:
But the he says " I will not hurt anybody again" Talk down his enemies? Is Thorfin now ghandi?

Ghandi, Guts, kenshin, Manji, Balsa? How about Thors?
well you do realize its a fan translation, right? he obviously meant..well..like I said, read chapters 12-14.

PS: The dream sequence was really awesome
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 9, 2011 12:21 PM

Dec 2009
And i was hoping he will return to his old self >.< Lets face it no one reads historical manga to see what the economic changes that where happening in that time we read it because the large scale fights.

Peace, love and unity all the devils you got to beat if you want to survive in the world of history ( joking ) :)
Well anyway I hope it gets better ( i know i will ) xD
Feb 9, 2011 3:28 PM
Mar 2009
Bl4ckEnvy said:
Lets face it no one reads historical manga to see what the economic changes that where happening in that time

I would love to read a manga about that.
Feb 10, 2011 1:37 AM

Sep 2008
vvvpqsw said:
Bl4ckEnvy said:
Lets face it no one reads historical manga to see what the economic changes that where happening in that time

...for a change.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 9, 2011 3:49 PM

Oct 2009
JJohnny said:
Why was Askeladd there? Thorfinn didn't kill him.
He didn't kill Bjorn either. I think the dream sequence was showing those who didn't find the true meaning of being a warrior.

eyerok said:
LOL guys, guys, GUYS! Do yourselves a favor and read chapter 12-14 of the manga again

And if you people honestly tell me you didnt forsee that Thorfinn might follow Thors' footstep[s (funny how many of you actually mentioned the guys dad...pretty forgettable character wasn't he? [/sarcasm] ) stop reading the manga. Seriously.
This. It seems like all the wrong people are reading this manga...I hope Yukimura has a set plan for the story and sticks to it 'til the end instead of being influenced by fan responses (though by what he has done so far, I think it's safe to say he does what he wants).
Mar 17, 2011 1:36 PM

Nov 2009
how many days till next chapter?
Mar 19, 2011 9:10 AM

Jan 2011
Well, there was the month when he was on a break, so two months from the last chapter...
“There's power in the night. There's terror in the darkness. Despite all our accumulated history, learning, and experience, we remember. We remember times when we were too small to reach the light switch on the wall, and when darkness itself was enough to make us cry out in fear....”
~ The Dresden Files
★ ★ ★
Mar 20, 2011 6:32 AM

Sep 2008
I really regret picking this manga so early. Its the kind of thing that should be marathoned for max enjoyment :S
Mar 21, 2011 1:09 AM

Aug 2007
Sigh... first when the manga was on the verge of becoming a really epic tale with him siding with Canute to conquer England they split... then he becomes some empty headed farmer slave... then this... I hope this trend stops before the carebears and ponies start to appear :(
Needs to fix this sometime but I'm lazy - since 11/05/2009
Apr 17, 2011 2:00 PM

Jan 2008
It's a sad inevitability that the common reader would want to see the main character slaughtering people all throughout the story, regardless of the plot, themes and character development. I mean this is why manga like Bleach are so successful, they satiate the reader's bloodlust, the need to see endless battles and special techniques and catchphrases.

Vinland's not that kind of manga, just roll with it peeps. Planetes wasn't your casual sci-fi manga either.

Sure it was fun seeing violence in a historial setting, but there was always context for it. Thorfinn was never a typical battle manga hero, he was presented as a vague character treading a thin line between tragic victim and menacing aggressor.

So basically some of you guys have no right to act surprised or disappointed at the turn of events lately. The direction the story is going in was on the cards long ago. Admittedly I thought Thorfinn would actually get his revenge before realising how pointless it was, so kudos to the author for robbing the character of even that.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 12, 2011 12:26 PM

Jul 2010
gotta say im a bit dissapointed with this new direction , and i miss Askeladd :(
Jul 29, 2011 8:33 AM

Apr 2011
so Thorfinn decided to take the "Rurouni Kenshin" route.
Aug 9, 2012 10:46 AM

Jul 2012
hat.
vvvpqsw said:
Bl4ckEnvy said:

[2]
Dec 16, 2012 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
mulderman said:
Taking down a certain corrupt king, a king Thorfinn himself helped to become a king seems like a good cause to me.

*Spoilers for the historical figure Canute*

Good to see Askeladd again, and great depiction of the netherworld.

It seems Thorfinn will follow on Thors' footsteps. And am I the only one being reminded of Edward Elric every time Thorfinn pops up on the page?

And finally:
eyerok said:
vvvpqsw said:
Bl4ckEnvy said:

...for a change.

Could this be the reason why Historie isn't getting the recognition and appreciation it deserves? :/
removed-userDec 16, 2012 3:55 AM
Feb 6, 2013 12:52 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This was on the cards all along, but the way he got there was no way what I expected. Good development from the mangaka.

On a side note, living amongst Vikings in the Middle Ages without hurting anyone will be quite a bit of a challenge.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 20, 2013 1:32 AM

Apr 2009
edungeon said:
hat.
vvvpqsw said:
Bl4ckEnvy said:

[2]
[3]
I'm loving the direction that VS is going, and except that I plan to get back to reading Historie, these kinds of manga/anime seem really interesting to read.
Mar 26, 2013 3:00 PM
Sep 2012
Parting from violence? PARTING FROM VIOLENCE? Wtf, nooooooooo, more violence, I wanna see more of thorfinns epic fighting. Lol I now that vow doesn't last long at all, but this is kinda necessary and it's good character development for thorfinn
May 3, 2014 5:06 AM

Nov 2011
I wonder how this story will going on..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 27, 2014 9:27 PM

Jun 2010
Pacifism... SERIOUSLY?! NO!!!
MaceTheDonSep 19, 2020 8:33 AM
Jul 24, 2014 11:52 PM

May 2012
Thorfinn is one the most developed characers I've ever seen. It's been a great journey* can only hope it gets even better.
Mar 23, 2015 6:08 AM

Apr 2014
This was such a fantastic and beautiful chapter. So raw and deep. Really powerfull conclusion
Aug 3, 2015 4:24 AM

Jun 2014
Is this the end of the Farming Arc? because I enjoyed it so much as we really saw how Askeladd's death affected his very life.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 21, 2015 8:01 PM

Apr 2014
Thorfinn finally became the kind of person Thors would be proud of! I love that he became a pacifist!

Feb 16, 2016 11:16 PM

Dec 2013
Loved this chapter. Great to see Thorfinn finally becoming a true warrior.
Feb 25, 2016 4:20 PM
Oct 2011
vvvpqsw said:
Bl4ckEnvy said:

REad the novel series The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baroque_Cycle
Nov 6, 2017 11:16 PM
Jul 2018
Holy...shit.
People were saying, "Thorfinn's redemption arc is amazing" and I thought they were exaggerating, but they weren't.
Jul 22, 2019 5:34 PM

Sep 2014
That was beautiful, though I doubt he won't have to hurt people again. In this regard, Thors was wrong too. Because he wasn't willing to defend himself and his friends to full extend, he paid for it with his life in the end. Thorfinn will probably realize that he will need the blades to protect himself and others
Dec 9, 2019 3:51 PM

Nov 2016
Got strong Berserk vibes from this chapter.

And wow, great character development for Thorfinn. Imo this arc is just as good of not better than the previous ones.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 1, 2020 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
you can hurt people for self-defense Thorfinn lol

anyway lets see how far this pacifism of his will go

Askeladd giving some nice coaching too there
Jan 2, 2020 6:40 AM

Feb 2019
Thorfinn's going through the same phase that ashoka once did. I personally don't want thorfinn to become a non violent dude even if I advocate for it irl.
Mar 17, 2020 6:45 PM

Jun 2015
Thorfinn's feeling the weight of taking lives that Thors much tried to advise him.
But I feel his resolution won't last too long.
Aug 2, 2021 12:03 PM

Jul 2019
If Farmland Arc is Minecraft, what Thorfinn just saw is basically the Nether.

But jokes aside, the culmination of everything these past 2 volumes was nothing short of spectacular. I especially enjoyed seeing Thorfinn soften up (especially seeing him genuniely smile 3 or 4 times) and open himself up to Einar and the rest of the farmhands. Likewise, it was also mindblowing seeing Canute do the exact opposite, becoming more harshly enveloped in domination and power as he ascends to become the new King of England.

The complete scope of everything achieved within this new arc has also been completely breathtaking. The cozy, tranquil, yet intricately unfair ways of Danish slave/farm life is such a refreshing change of pace compared to the barbaric lifestyles of the Vikings occuring just a couple hundred miles away. And we can't forget the in-depth history info-dump we've been getting along the way too!

Really excited to see how Yukimura fleshes out the rest of FarmVinland Saga as this arc continues :)

10/10
May 3, 2022 5:59 PM

Feb 2022
I mean, he will obviously use violence again. This is more of a "no more senseless violence" kind of thing than an actual stop to the violence. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if this was the next step of his character development: that sometimes in this cruel world you do need a little bit of violence, to defend yourself or your loved ones for example.
Also, we need to remember Thors. He beat the shit out of Askeladd's gang before beating Askeladd himself in a duel. Violent stuff if you ask me.
These Japanese gesticulating cartoons are actually quite good
Jun 17, 2022 12:47 AM

Jan 2019
MaceTheDon said:
Pacifism... SERIOUSLY?! NO!!!

OH NO NOT THE MANGA'S MORALE MESSAGE THAT WAS IMPLIED SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING!!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. HOW I COULD I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS COMING AND CONTINUED TO READ CONSTANTLY EXPECTING THORFINN TO COMMIT VIOLENCE AGAINST OTHERS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Jul 7, 2022 1:11 PM

Sep 2014
kino chapter and most importantly we are back to farming again
mattchoo said:
If Farmland Arc is Minecraft, what Thorfinn just saw is basically the Nether.

lol
Oct 23, 2022 5:28 PM

Aug 2021
glad they didn't wind up being punished for all that happened
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 103 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2014

9 by AceGeek »»
May 2, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 100 Discussion

TAK3Z0 - Dec 22, 2013

45 by AceGeek »»
May 1, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 98 Discussion

konpachi - Oct 26, 2013

28 by AceGeek »»
May 1, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 210 Discussion

RodIshiCi - Apr 27

21 by Farabeuf »»
Apr 30, 11:48 PM

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.