Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2011 9:58 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Meh, I would call Spriggan wasted potential. The main concept is good, but the movie itself is nothing memorable. Average invincible shounen hero, horrible villains, dragged-on & confused plot, etc. Also, having no women except that pointless assistant makes this movie seem even more sexist, lol.
But, I really like the music, the character design is not too bad, and the animation is really good. Great action scenes. Overall an enjoyable movie, neither unique or epic, but still watchable.
I wonder why this movie, despite being better and less presumptuous than Akira, has a lower rating and no ridiculously adoring fanboys.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Feb 17, 2011 5:36 AM

Apr 2009
Colonel MacDougall maniacal laughter if you can call that maniacal annoyed me.

Spriggan seems to be the name for ARCAM's special operatives as the introduction says, the briefing with Fat Man and Little Boy confused me as it was displayed in the presentation that it was a codename for Yu, maybe they got bad intel on Yu?

I like the music too especially when he was traveling around Turkey, the BGM has that world music feel to it.

All in all, I liked it but it was forgettable after you've seen it.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 25, 2014 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
yeah that's kid's laughter was stand-out bad.

I most liked when they got into the ark, the technology was quite inventive.

Some parts are just silly though, especially anything involving Jean. *SMASH!* *CRASH!* *KAPOW!* I'm back again guys!!! To save the day and whatnot!
Sep 12, 2014 9:52 PM

Jul 2011
At least it looked good. Shitty Akira rip-off though.
Dec 28, 2014 4:16 PM

May 2012
Pretty interesting concept of story to be honest, quite liked the art and animation as well and in general it developed quite will with a good portion of action and mystery! All in all a pretty good anime movie.
Jan 2, 2015 7:16 PM

Jul 2012
I loved this movie, but feel like it didnt live up to its potential? The movie for all intents and purposes could have made it in to my top 10, but it fell short in a lot of areas. The animation was there, the story was kinda there, the characters were there. . . it just didnt execute how I was hoping. None the less, great movie.
Jan 2, 2018 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Tomb Raider ft MI6 agent co directed by Michael Bay

a damn good movie, started watching it because it's 420 but it turned out to be very good.
Feb 24, 2018 11:57 AM

Nov 2011
It will not be one of the best films of all time, but it can not be said to be rubbish. It is not a busy title and perhaps not much space for introspection and characterization of the characters, but the action is excellent and the graphic sector is fabulous. I also appreciated that in the film they talked about climate change, which is still a current problem. It will have its flaws, but I do not think I have thrown some useful time, watching this movie.

8/10
May 9, 2018 6:39 PM

Nov 2013
terrablu2003 said:
It will not be one of the best films of all time, but it can not be said to be rubbish. It is not a busy title and perhaps not much space for introspection and characterization of the characters, but the action is excellent and the graphic sector is fabulous. I also appreciated that in the film they talked about climate change, which is still a current problem. It will have its flaws, but I do not think I have thrown some useful time, watching this movie.

8/10

It's cool, that you enjoyed it. I can recommend the manga. You'll learn more about Yu and Jean, since the movie only covers a small part of the manga. And it tackles other relevant topics, mostly (illegal) weapon trade, but also the responsibility of dealing properly with potentially dangerous artefacts and what it means to be human.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 4, 2018 2:45 PM

Oct 2015
MacDougall was one evil modified kid, he wanted to be God so bad that the ark ended up killing him and I see Yu wanted to save him but no for him him. It kinda is a pain to see a kid getting stab and even if that kid is MacDougall.

I was disappointed when he said the beginning of the fight is here after putting that gold talisman in there, but it only destroyed it and him. Overall it wasn't bad and it was a bit like Akira but better. Yu wasn't a bad mc and the story was creative.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 24, 2019 1:50 PM

Aug 2012
Okay first of all the Animation is stunning. But thats the end of the superlatives because everything else is either just good and not much more or just plain meh'.

There is something amazing here but it gets caught up in way too much action and not enough character/world building or story.
Apr 25, 2019 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
The character designs and some ideas did gave me "Akira" vibes and was kinda hoping this would have some really good experimental ideas but no talk about akira ripoff, personally this movie did not have nothing bit of interesting stuff here and all I see bangs and explosions. Yeah I was aware this was rushed adaptation so not criticizing lack of character developments but was really hoping i would see some interesting ideas here.

And what even more frustrate me with tons of epic deus ex machinas where everything getting destroyed by explosions yet main lead somehow did not affected by those at all!
Animation was spectecular sure especially on the first half particularly that chase scenes. I didn't care the 2nd half because the actions were too cliche feels like watching DBZ movie. Music were very little and forgettable because all I hear was boom boom explosions to the point hurt my ears.

Overall 4.5/10, very terribly average movie especially lacking in depth and watching this on threater would have made by worst day lol. If there is one surprise movie left me was that it didn't even adapted the whole manga as far I see from the Baka updates. I really think manga version will be better since this felt was a rushed adaptation to begin with.
removed-userApr 25, 2019 10:31 PM
Aug 28, 2020 12:57 PM

Jul 2008
How many animes are going to have a white character named Macdougal? There seems to be some reason behind it.

Felt like Akira to me honestly, but not as good.

I like the designs, the action was good, I loved the score/soundtrack but the plot felt like a rushed mess.

This needed to be a few movies or a series.

Still for my enjoyment a 7/10
Oct 5, 2020 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
He fell down.
Dat thing on the wall.
Oh shit.
Satellite is destroyed.
Spriggan. Roll credits!
Elf.
He dead.
A dream?
Ominae.
Tanaka look like he seen some shit.
Oh shit! A bomb! Noah will be your grave?
Yamero!!!!
Dat explosion.
His name is Yu.
Noah's Ark?
They getting sprayed.
They brought out the tank.
They're after Yu.
Confiscated.
Dat betrayal.
Knocked his ass out the car.

And that was the end. It was good. Great action. It reminded me of Akira so that makes it even more awesome. Koyasu!!!!!!

Original watch date: A bit after 3/14/2020
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Sep 4, 2021 7:22 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
A movie with huge potential that is just thrown away in the last 1/3 of the movie. On the positive side:
1. Artwork is great! The CG was done well and was effective.
2. The fight scenes were mostly long and exciting in action and animation
3. The plot concept is interesting for 1 hour

The bad side:
1. There are really only 3 villains .... and only 1 gets killed for sure....the MC lets the Evil Kid just run off to destroy the earth another day while saying "I am not a killing machine"....no....and you're not worth a crap as a hero either
2. The Good Old Doctor .... he helps the Evil Kid unlock the Ark and then helps him to power it up and start destroying the world..... wtf??? Without him the Evil Kid would still be outside the Ark and without him, the Evil Kid could not have operated the control panel of the Ark
3. The Plot ..... so the Ark is destroyed at the end and the weather just goes back to normal? What about all the flooding done already? We are supposed to cheer the bad guy getting away? Plot was good until about the last 30 minutes and then went into the toilet.

6/10 due to the last 30 minutes of the film.
Oct 29, 2021 2:07 AM
Feb 2021
i loved the movie.
May 30, 2022 12:33 AM

Apr 2015
Great movie. The MAL score almost put me off, now i think it deserves a little more...

Anyway it has some great use of CG, Military and Cyberpunk good shit, the battles were great.

The overall story is kinda ok? I guess... the plot, characters and pace is all over the place, but not so bad.

Anyway I am excited for the upcoming Netflix anime series and i probably will try to read the manga too if available.
Sep 8, 2022 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
The best past anime
Oct 18, 2022 3:53 PM

Jul 2015
Interesting premise and good animation but plotwise could've been less confusing and overall better (like how all villains Yu faces from his old squad to the kid are so one-dimensionally evil). Curious to see how the new Netflix adaptation does the remake.

Dec 13, 2022 8:12 AM

Jul 2014
Mediocre plot and poor structure saved by some fantastic art direction and some of the best animation of the era. The visuals fucking carried this thing.
Take care of yourself

Feb 5, 2023 12:35 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I thought it was hilariously entertaining. The plot was ridiculous, but the animation was very cool at times, and the music was very interesting. I especially liked all the orchestral pieces.

I plan on rewatching this movie to take in all the animation again.

8/10

Edit: I put together this YouTube playlist of the OST if anyone would like to revisit it. There are some really nice gems in there.
NaruleachFeb 5, 2023 2:55 PM
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Mar 5, 2023 1:08 PM

Nov 2012
so i went back and watched this after having recently watched the netflix one, and it's interesting to the see the differences. No werewolf Jean, the villain is clearly more masculine in this one yet more feminine in the netflix one. And the whole thing about Fatman being part of his old unit or something, and the project cosmos stuff, I swear that was entirely left out of the netflix one. I wonder which one is more accurate to the source material (I don't plan to & haven't read the manga) I guess they also could've maybe just added some of this stuff in, just for the movie.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 24, 2023 12:35 AM

Feb 2021
The textbook definition of wasted potential. Sheesh, that was a pain to get through.

3/10.
Jun 16, 2023 7:09 PM

Jan 2016
It's so sad such fantastic visuals and animation in such dumb and generic characters and story...

Aug 2, 2023 9:16 PM

Jun 2021
This must be one of the most hollywood anime i've seen, katsuhiro otomo put together all the cool stuff from the american action movies and the stunning and realistic late 90's animation of the anime, how this movie is so underrated man AND MY GOD THE BACKGROUNDS, INTERNET PITSTOP SURELY GOT A 30cm ERECTION IF HE WAS SEEING THIS MOVIE JUST FOR THE BEAUTIFUL BACKGROUNDS
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Sep 17, 2023 1:22 PM

Mar 2019
The plot of this movie is pretty pretentious and the characters are all pretty generic, but the animation and art are very impressive. Honestly, I had a lot of fun watching this for the action scenes. I don't think it was that good of a movie but I enjoyed it regardless. If it was written a bit better than it could have been a really great movie.

More topics from this board

» This is the #420 on the database

lFrogs - Jun 20, 2022

7 by lFrogs »»
Mar 3, 9:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.