Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 6, 2011 11:48 PM

Oct 2009
Merry is hot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2011 11:53 PM

Jul 2010
Kuro4735 said:
not liking the voice acting for Merry, but besides that this was actually a really interesting episode. There was an interesting choice for music, which really gave this episode a more mysterious feel.

Not to mention, the stuff about the "dream world" looks like it can get much more intriguing, though the whole "magical girl meets guy" trope here could've been done a little better.

I didn't mind Merry's voice actress. I actually thought she and Yumeji sounded pretty good. But I definitey agree with you about the music. I was surprised at how much of an impact it made.

By the way, anyone who thought Yumeji sounded familar might recognize him for his roles as Eiji Nizuma from Bakuman, Usui Takumi from Kaichou wa Maid-sama, or Tohru Mutou from Shiki.

stevewiess01 said:
Nakata Jouji is always awesome! XD Especially, when he is a muscular cat guy who looks like Hei from DTB.

Well, if you're going by the mask he could look like Hei, but he reminded me of Jack of Blades from Fable a lot more. Either way, I think he's a pretty cool villain. What I mean is at least he looks cool. Merry also has a pretty nice outfit.

Ah, and I loved the part where she was looking for her hat. XD

Wasn't expecting much from this show at all after reading the incredibly cliche sounding summary, but this actually looks like it might be cool. Out of the three releases today(IS: Infinite Stratos and Mahou Shoujo), I like this one best.
Jan 7, 2011 12:11 AM

Apr 2010
oh yeah!! ever since I caught a glimpse of the character designs for this show I was already excited for it 'cause it kinda reminded me of Soul Eater.. and seems like it has a good story to boot too..

the animation and background art looks really good, just hope it keeps up throughout the series..

and wow Merry's seiyuu fooled me there, I really thought it was Ayana voicing her.. no wonder I'm feeling something was off with the voice at first..

Yumeji's power looks cool also..

very interesting start and now I'm really having high expectations from this show, hope it won't disappoint..

Iilia said:
Out of the three releases today(IS: Infinite Stratos and Mahou Shoujo), I like this one best.

same here.. :D
tinman21Jan 7, 2011 12:25 AM
Jan 7, 2011 12:12 AM
Apr 2008
I like the opening theme song. Merry looks cute. Looking forward on this anime, more Isana please.
Jan 7, 2011 1:00 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome music. Awesome character. Awesome show.

Jan 7, 2011 1:04 AM

Sep 2007
Son ... I was not disapointed. :D
Jan 7, 2011 1:27 AM

Apr 2008
Only thing I like about Merry's design is that they gave her goat eyes. It's a nice change of pace from cat eyes. The rest of it is just trying too hard.

The dreams and reality thing gives this show a bit of a chance to go beyond standard boy meets magical girl, but I'm not really counting on it. The action doesn't look bad, though, so I'm thinking more a very watchable average show.

The animation decisions were pretty weird in this episode, though. A lot of sudden shifts in frame to give unusual profiles. I'm not sure if this is going to be a running thing or they just really wanted to show off Merry.
Jan 7, 2011 2:17 AM

Apr 2010
I'm really disappointed with this anime. I had thought it would be good because its J.C. Staff but I did not like it at all. The character design was great but the background design and animation looked really bad. I didn't like the whole cats in the dream ether. The characters are drawn good but the plot was not that appealing to me. I am going to stick with it for now and see if it gets better and I really hope it does. Also the voice actress for Merry is a little inexperienced and it is wild that she sounds almost identical to Taketatsu Ayana at times. 3/5
Jan 7, 2011 2:34 AM

Jun 2009
Well, I guess I shouldn't judge an anime without watching it first since the sypnosis is so lame that I though this would be another loli shit fanservice anime. Boy I was wrong. That is just weird in a good way. Good start for this one.
Jan 7, 2011 2:35 AM

Sep 2010
It's not too bad so far. I'm likin' it a tad bit.
Jan 7, 2011 2:38 AM
Nov 2008
Hmm.....weird is all I can say....am I the only one who thought the characters seemed kinda..''slow'' ?As in talk and reaction? O_o Well I'll check episode 2 anyway
Jan 7, 2011 2:43 AM
Oct 2009
The character designs aren't bad, but the animation is extremely awkward and often doesn't go with the voices or sound effects. More than once, I felt that this episode had a serious issue in drawing legs correctly (right from the beginning, there were some ambiguous positions and unrealistic balancing), and the synchronization of voice acting and lip movement was some of the worst I've seen.

Scene transitions were also extremely abrupt and nonsensical and didn't help give any real insight into what was going on. Just the way the show hops from one angle to another is really confusing, on top of the fact that they really don't have much of a clear story at the moment.

Bad beginning. 2/5
A2ZOMGJan 7, 2011 2:53 AM
Jan 7, 2011 2:50 AM

Feb 2010
that was a interesting first episode.
Jan 7, 2011 2:51 AM
Apr 2010
I heard somewhere the music was done by IOSYS. Is this true?
Jan 7, 2011 2:57 AM
Oct 2009
Yes indeed, on the page for this show, it lists IOSYS as composers of the theme songs. I buy it, given the quality of some of the more dramatic songs used.
Jan 7, 2011 3:10 AM

Dec 2007
Although I liked the character design, I started watching this without any expectations and ended up being very pleasantly surprised. Although I have to agree with the people saying that the scene transitions felt awkward at times. But that's about the only complaint I have so far.

Also, people complaining about the voice synchronisation, wasn't it just the fault of the video you were watching? There was nothing wrong the one I watched.

Oh, and OP is pretty awesome.
Jan 7, 2011 3:24 AM

Sep 2010
Nice OP and EP! This anime is interesting.. Merry's seiyū sounded like Kirino's from OreImo.. :D
Jan 7, 2011 3:48 AM

Nov 2010
Charliehsv said:
Also, people complaining about the voice synchronisation, wasn't it just the fault of the video you were watching? There was nothing wrong the one I watched.

That's what I think too. The sound was off in the raw I watched yesterday, but it was fine in the sub I watched this morning.
Jan 7, 2011 4:32 AM

Jun 2008
The plot seems to have some interesting aspects but the usual fanservise loli falling on a guy and staff ruin it a little. The artwork is worrying me too.
Is usually the kind of artwork anime that have some kind of action plot that never developed in a smart way and in the end focus on tsundere antics, jokes and moeness.
Shows like that can be amusing but never great and in the end you remember the characters and their antics more than what they were fighting for and what the whole thing was about.
Jan 7, 2011 4:35 AM

Sep 2009
The start of an anime is just the introduction. whether it's good or bad i don't care *cause there is no such thing is good or bad introduction, it's just your expectation*.

well, this anime really interesting to start with, i seen no flaws so far and there a good design of the character and setting so i'll watch it till the end ^^

JC staff just know how to make anime interesting XD
Jan 7, 2011 4:39 AM

Dec 2010
Too early to judge where the plot will go. Keep watching till the end probably, i sorta like character design.

3/5 my first impression.
Fn76Jan 7, 2011 4:44 AM
Jan 7, 2011 4:45 AM

Aug 2010
God, Merry is so hot, I love her.

This one looks like it can be a favorite for me. Really like the visuals and the story so far.
Jan 7, 2011 5:04 AM

May 2007
didnt saw the full ep yet did seen part of it so far so good still amasses me how ppl can make a review out of 1 ep ><
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Jan 7, 2011 5:11 AM

Jul 2008
Like for many others here (the reasons are the same: I thought it would be some mosecrap), this show is a pleasant surprise. The only thing I didn't like were some bad scene transitions, but thats minor nitpics. Music is awesome, art is great, animation is weird but because of the nature of the show, it fits it well and the setting could be used well.
Jan 7, 2011 5:37 AM

Jun 2009
That was a pretty interesting episode. I really enjoyed it. For Merry's voice, she reminds me of Azu-nyan seiyuu. I kinda like Merry's seiyuu even though she's new. I have high expectations for this so I hope next episode will be as interesting as this one.

Jan 7, 2011 5:40 AM

Jan 2010
well Great anime to watch

and nice voice for Merry even thought the seiyuu is new =D

And nice ending =D
Jan 7, 2011 6:06 AM

May 2010
i like when they use english words to name characters. chaser john doe ftw.
Jan 7, 2011 6:11 AM

Sep 2008
Was pretty good.

Typical J.C Staff styled feel and art.

Not really complaining but I don't have any kind of high expectations for this show. Episode moved about as slow as Index which is worrying. First eps should have a lot happening to pull in the masses.

Still, I see potential. Will continue watching.
Jan 7, 2011 6:21 AM

Feb 2010
Nothing above average, except the soundtrack.
Jan 7, 2011 6:35 AM

Jul 2009
-Quasar said:
Well, I guess I shouldn't judge an anime without watching it first since the sypnosis is so lame that I though this would be another loli shit fanservice anime. Boy I was wrong.

Me too, haha. Usually, I don't even bother with things that contain 'girl falls on boy'. Very interesting first episode, hope it continues like this.

Things that really stood out to me were Merry's character design (it's really cool) and the music, which was nicely used to give effect to certain scenes, without being overly intrusive.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jan 7, 2011 6:42 AM

Sep 2008
KazukiUchiha said:
I'm really disappointed with this anime. I had thought it would be good because its J.C. Staff but I did not like it at all. The character design was great but the background design and animation looked really bad. I didn't like the whole cats in the dream ether. The characters are drawn good but the plot was not that appealing to me. I am going to stick with it for now and see if it gets better and I really hope it does. Also the voice actress for Merry is a little inexperienced and it is wild that she sounds almost identical to Taketatsu Ayana at times. 3/5

My thoughts exactly. I'll give it a couple more episodes since it's done by JC Staff though. Looks like a typical shounen to me tbh, I mean I haven't seen much animes that do dream worlds so much but it's the vibes it gives off that made it felt generic. (Generic is not always bad but doesn't work well for me when it comes to this type of style of anime.)
Jan 7, 2011 6:43 AM

Dec 2010
Uh, well, it seems that there are a lot of people who like this anime. I... can't say that I like or dislike it; the only thing that bothers me is the animation. It wasn't so smooth, but it was interesting, otherwise. I haven't read the manga yet, so I don't think spoiling myself would be much of use. 7/10, the art and plot deserves double points :))
Jan 7, 2011 6:44 AM

Apr 2008
This was pretty interesting, so I`ll deffinitly follow it to the end :D

Jan 7, 2011 6:54 AM

Jun 2010
awsum beginning!

Jan 7, 2011 7:04 AM

Nov 2009
It looks like a show I may end up liking. Can't really tell from one episode, so far it is alright but nothing really special in my opinion.
Jan 7, 2011 7:12 AM

Jun 2008
Kinda reminds me Soul Eater.
Jan 7, 2011 7:19 AM

Jun 2008
Cats <3
I really like the OP^^
This anime looks interesting.
Jan 7, 2011 7:33 AM

May 2009
They changed some things from the manga (more slice-of-life and less explanations in the anime), but it wasn't that bad. This is the first winter series that didn't disappoint me so far. I'm looking forward the rest of the show.
Jan 7, 2011 7:38 AM

Nov 2008
Interesting anime, I like the beginning and the type of story with the dreamworld and reality exchanging.
Jan 7, 2011 7:48 AM

Apr 2010
That dream world reminded me of Guild Wars it gave the same feelings and vagueness.
The main male character seemed like the type that pretty much excepts anything in front of him and was a bit to easy going.

The naming of the characters of the dream world made me laugh John Doe is used for people of whom there Identities are unknowns.
And Merry Nightmare sounds like your wishing someone to have a sweet nightmare.
I liked her voice tho, as some people stated she is a new Seiyu and i think she has allot of potential.
Jan 7, 2011 7:53 AM

Apr 2010
These people that write a review based on only one episode, please stop. It's neither helpful nor fair. You can have only first impressions of the series at this point.
Jan 7, 2011 8:20 AM

Feb 2010
I think that was pretty boring D': Can't say why though. But I liked the OP.
Jan 7, 2011 8:41 AM
Nov 2008
I had fairly low expectations for this show, and I think it's safe to say they were surpassed. At the moment, I would say I'm on the fence. The supporting cast seems horrid, and I have a feeling I'm not going to care at all for the real world aspect of the show. But between Merry and the dream world, there is certainly part of this series that I find intriguing. I'll have to give it a couple more episodes before giving it a proper Yay or Nay.
Jan 7, 2011 9:42 AM
Nov 2010
An average first episode.
The music is ok but sometimes dissonant, the artwork is good is good especially Merry looks great. I`m not sure for the animation because the fighting scene was horrible and the rest was good.
I can`t say much about the story yet but can only hope that there won`t be to much slice of life.
3/5
Jan 7, 2011 10:08 AM

Jan 2011
interesting so far
I like the character design especially the mask guy the boss of the cats or whatsoever :D
Jan 7, 2011 10:28 AM
Oct 2009
Charliehsv said:
Although I liked the character design, I started watching this without any expectations and ended up being very pleasantly surprised. Although I have to agree with the people saying that the scene transitions felt awkward at times. But that's about the only complaint I have so far.

Also, people complaining about the voice synchronization, wasn't it just the fault of the video you were watching? There was nothing wrong the one I watched.

No, it wasn't the fault of the video. It was the fault of poor animation technique. Just the lip movement lacks creativity (this is especially noticeable during Isana's speaking parts), and likewise the sound effects for other things at times don't always seem appropriate.

There's clearly just a lot of cut corners. Faces are fairly static at moments, lip movement not being well done, legs drawn in ambiguous and unrealistic positions, a good number of instances of choppy animation, and on top of the fact that the scene transitions are absolutely horrendous, the show is for the large part unpleasing aesthetically. Except for the okay character designs.
Jan 7, 2011 10:51 AM

Apr 2010
Wow, the difference in opinion for this anime is quite wild. A lot of people love it while a lot of people hate it. I'm on the love it side myself.

A2ZOMG said:
Charliehsv said:

Also, people complaining about the voice synchronization, wasn't it just the fault of the video you were watching? There was nothing wrong the one I watched.

No, it wasn't the fault of the video. It was the fault of poor animation technique. Just the lip movement lacks creativity (this is especially noticeable during Isana's speaking parts), and likewise the sound effects for other things at times don't always seem appropriate.

There's clearly just a lot of cut corners. Faces are fairly static at moments, lip movement not being well done, legs drawn in ambiguous and unrealistic positions, a good number of instances of choppy animation, and on top of the fact that the scene transitions are absolutely horrendous, the show is for the large part unpleasing aesthetically. Except for the okay character designs.

In my opinion this is just someone who looks way too hard to find faults with something. I just watched it to enjoy myself, not to critique, and I didn't notice any of that stuff. Maybe you'd enjoy anime more if you didn't have such a pessimistic attitude to try to find things bad about them?
KimuraJan 8, 2011 11:29 AM

Jan 7, 2011 10:57 AM

Jan 2011
really loving the character design,looks kinda like Ookami-sam to shichin no Nakama tachi :).
Jan 7, 2011 11:32 AM

Apr 2010
Totally different from what I was expecting. Terrible synopsis ftw.

I get a pandora hearts feel from this thus far which I REALLY dig. Arts nice, characters are decent, and overall its interesting. Heres hoping it stays this way.
Jan 7, 2011 12:11 PM

Aug 2009
And so the Winter season starts for me.

I like it so far. the villain is especially awesome!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

stevewiess01 - Apr 7, 2011

180 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 8:12 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Blackbird - Mar 31, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 6:25 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 24, 2011

97 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

86 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 4:07 PM

Poll: » Yumekui Merry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

73 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 10, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.