Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2010 6:00 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Gregorys gonna take his revenge BWAHAHA! Some nice action, and we get to see a young Bucock wasting his cannon's ammo lol. Hmm..I wonder how he got promoted all the way up later on. The730 Mafia is a pretty interesting group, I wouldnt mind watching a whole series based on these people.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 22, 2010 6:20 PM

May 2010
Argh, I hate these mini-arcs that stray away from the main characters.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 26, 2010 7:53 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty good episode. Though, personally, I'd prefer the story to focus more on Yang.
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 26, 2010 7:58 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 1, 2011 11:18 PM
Jul 2010
I can't believe they actually started an arc for these guys. Awesome

Ashbey has some pretty crazy skills. He's got multiple fleets working on specific, changing objectives all according to his will. And he does it without direct communication, because he framed the flow of the battle around the abilities of each side's commanders. Not only that, he manipulated the actions of enemies by deliberately moving his main fleet in a way that revealed battle plans, thereby saving a troubled fleet without sacrificing manpower. I swear, this guy must be cheating somehow

That said Ashbey is a kind of incompetent leader. Reinhard always endeared his vassals because he genuinely valued and used their insights, while providing a clear sense of direction for everyone. Even if Ashbey wanted to control everyone, it's to his benefit to make them all think they're opinions are influential. The whole dictator act just hurts his force.
Sep 27, 2011 4:16 PM

Jun 2009
Luthimal said:
I can't believe they actually started an arc for these guys. Awesome

Ashbey has some pretty crazy skills. He's got multiple fleets working on specific, changing objectives all according to his will. And he does it without direct communication, because he framed the flow of the battle around the abilities of each side's commanders. Not only that, he manipulated the actions of enemies by deliberately moving his main fleet in a way that revealed battle plans, thereby saving a troubled fleet without sacrificing manpower. I swear, this guy must be cheating somehow

That said Ashbey is a kind of incompetent leader. Reinhard always endeared his vassals because he genuinely valued and used their insights, while providing a clear sense of direction for everyone. Even if Ashbey wanted to control everyone, it's to his benefit to make them all think they're opinions are influential. The whole dictator act just hurts his force.

Which is all the more ironic because Reinhard IS supposed to be a dictator yet, as you said, was able to endear himself to his soldiers (and the viewers). Ashby, not so much. I think you hit the nail on the head with your statements.

I kind of wonder if learning about Ashby had any sort of influence on Yang and his prowess as a leader.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 13, 2012 1:58 PM

Feb 2012
So Bucock was enlisted and not commissioned -- I just gained a lot of respect for him and his long career.

And it was a pleasure to see Muckenberger, too!
Jun 7, 2013 8:33 AM

Mar 2012
Ashbey's a great character. But it's true what you guys were saying. He seems to be more of a dictator and enjoys confrontations with the media, he encourages his status in such a way. Even though he said he would stop climbing ladders after he made Fleet Admiral, I don't think I believe that.

Makes me think how he would've done if he was born on the Empire's side.
Oct 12, 2013 11:01 AM

Nov 2009
Hrmmmm . . . I thought the relationship between all of them would have been better, but I guess not. Anyways maybe he really was murdered, I mean the politicians certainly had a good motive (fearing he would swoop in and become another Goldenbaum dictator, or merely just become a much brighter politician than them)
Dec 15, 2014 12:52 PM

May 2012
Pretty epic battle, let's see what's going to happen next!
Dec 28, 2014 2:36 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, so we are actually getting their true story depicted as full episodes instead of storytelling flashbacks.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 21, 2015 1:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I love the cameo by Buckock. It's impressive that he rose through the ranks like he did. What a career.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 25, 2016 7:47 PM

Feb 2016
It's too early to say, but it seems he purposely manufactured this rebellious attitude in the fleet, perhaps he wants them to act aggressively individually?

This is the first time he's acted out like this. For someone so methodical like Bruce, it seems out of character... Nothing in LOGH is ever out of character.

Let's watch more to see.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 29, 2016 5:31 AM

Jun 2016
Wonder what's going on in Ashbey's head..

This is certainly one of the more tactically involved battles in the entire series. Fun. The 730 Mafia are super competent - if only more were around during Yang's time.
Oct 6, 2016 5:53 PM
May 2015
my god this is the most boring arc in the entire franchise. huge stepback from Gaiden 1, in terms of animation quality as well as story. hopefully it gets better after this.

I loved the 2 mystery arcs in the first Gaiden. This, not so much. Yang deserves better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2016 9:06 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
a battle half tactic, half premonition... the lucky is neccesary, but the best is when you have the 100% of something!!!!
Nov 27, 2016 1:04 PM

Jul 2015
Ashbey is a newtype confirmed
Apr 2, 2020 7:50 AM

Feb 2017
RIP Bertini's tropical fish.

Feb 3, 2023 12:34 AM

Aug 2018
This was a cool battle and backstory to see, 730 Mafia are really talented and interesting group of people, wonderring how much more the upcoming episodes will uncover
Apr 4, 2023 1:10 AM

Jul 2017
this arc is so interesting, I'm excited.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Aug 29, 2023 3:47 PM

Dec 2007
it's hard to side with ashbei since he's going to lose and all. but on the other hand i don't sympathize with any characters of the empire too. good thing though that the "avenger" one had been killed, he annoyed me. lol

dunno if i like ashbei so much though, he's too confident for his own good. making information out of hunch.
though from some reason i find yang going to learn from his tactics.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 28 Discussion

ChaosLegion - Oct 31, 2010

21 by Unkrowned »»
May 1, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 27 Discussion

eyerok - Nov 4, 2010

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 20 Discussion

eyerok - Sep 29, 2010

20 by Ten »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 2 Discussion

eyerok - Aug 12, 2010

13 by Ten »»
Oct 2, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Spiral Labyrinth Episode 1 Discussion

Ralonzo - Aug 8, 2008

30 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.