Forums

(Bug - Moderate) My Anime List Custom Tags Broken [Temp fix inside]

New
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 1, 2012 2:35 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Kurisu666 said:
Sorry for digging the thread up, but... Could someone please reupload the script for fixin' tags? I lost mine in a cleanup and it would appear that the link posted above is down permanently :(

The mirror is still working :)

ftp://84.245.201.6/devel/web/userscript/mal_tags/latest/mal_tags.user.js
LunaJan 1, 2012 2:38 AM
Jan 19, 2012 4:26 PM
Dec 2011
Digging this thread up. It seems the issue still hasn't been fixed yet and all previous links are dead D:

Can someone repost?
Jan 19, 2012 10:39 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Oh, now even the mirror is down...

Good that I made a copy here :)
May 1, 2012 11:57 PM

Dec 2008
Hi helpful person!

For me it works for Opera, but not for firefox. D:
I have the script ready, but when I try to browse it with Greasemonkey it can only open executable files and I'm unable to select it... Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks a lot :3
May 13, 2012 11:36 PM

Jan 2009
Ash88 said:

Please test the latest one and post.

Works perfectly with Opera (11.64)

Thanks a bunch Ash,was looking for a script like that for a while. And of course, to Luna for providing the link.
You two are awesome
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Oct 18, 2012 6:25 AM

Jan 2011
Hi guys. I'm back.

Firs of all, thanks for replacing the dead links. The service where I was hosting the project seems to be down for some time already. The mirror I gave, however, was working, but not 24/7, since it was on my work machine.

Anyway, I'm here to tell that I have wrote another new version of the script and placed the project to userscripts.org.

The link to the project now is:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/150384

And it will have update notifications from now on (on browsers which support this).

Changes from version 1.2:

* New:
  • Now this script also fixes the character issue in tags on anime/manga lists.
    Bug described here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=305051
    This includes:
    * Pre-encoding tags before saving, so that the website page would accept all characters, and would not break the html layout.
    * Encoding the tags in href attributes (also in status and table header links).
* Improvements:
  • Added include rules, for script to not be executed at all in Firefox and Chrome if not on an animelist/mangalist page.
    The check at the beginning still preserved for script to work in some other browsers.
  • Added grant rule for compatibility with recent Greasemonkey releases.
  • The script now replaces the updated tag href attributes right after the save. They are usable without a page reload.
    (This DOES NOT include dynamically updating Available Custom Tags block, for now at least. ^_- )
  • More optimization.

I've also created a club for this whole thing: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=33957 :) Just join, and you will always have access to the script from your profile page in few clicks.

Enjoy!
Nov 2, 2012 4:07 PM

Apr 2011
Ash88 said:
Hi guys. I'm back.

Firs of all, thanks for replacing the dead links. The service where I was hosting the project seems to be down for some time already. The mirror I gave, however, was working, but not 24/7, since it was on my work machine.

Anyway, I'm here to tell that I have wrote another new version of the script and placed the project to userscripts.org.

The link to the project now is:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/150384

And it will have update notifications from now on (on browsers which support this).

Changes from version 1.2:

* New:
  • Now this script also fixes the character issue in tags on anime/manga lists.
    Bug described here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=305051
    This includes:
    * Pre-encoding tags before saving, so that the website page would accept all characters, and would not break the html layout.
    * Encoding the tags in href attributes (also in status and table header links).
* Improvements:
  • Added include rules, for script to not be executed at all in Firefox and Chrome if not on an animelist/mangalist page.
    The check at the beginning still preserved for script to work in some other browsers.
  • Added grant rule for compatibility with recent Greasemonkey releases.
  • The script now replaces the updated tag href attributes right after the save. They are usable without a page reload.
    (This DOES NOT include dynamically updating Available Custom Tags block, for now at least. ^_- )
  • More optimization.

I've also created a club for this whole thing: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=33957 :) Just join, and you will always have access to the script from your profile page in few clicks.

Enjoy!

Super! Now I can discard the script I published on userscripts.org. lol
Nov 2, 2012 10:00 PM

Jan 2011
zanetu said:
Super! Now I can discard the script I published on userscripts.org. lol
Sorry, I didn't know someone else was working on this. The search on userscripts.org did not give any results for me.
Dec 2, 2012 11:58 PM
Dec 2012
Sorry for digging up this thread, but I just downloaded the script... and have no idea how it works, or how to view the tags. Can someone please help me?
Dec 3, 2012 12:09 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Have you installed it already? If not, you can find instructions here.

The script only works on lists that have tags enabled and specified. Then you can click one tag in the list and will get all entries that have this tag. So it filters the list by tags. There's also an "Available Custom Tags" at the top, when you click this it will show you all available tags in this list.
Dec 3, 2012 2:28 AM
Dec 2012
Luna_ said:
Have you installed it already? If not, you can find instructions here.

The script only works on lists that have tags enabled and specified. Then you can click one tag in the list and will get all entries that have this tag. So it filters the list by tags. There's also an "Available Custom Tags" at the top, when you click this it will show you all available tags in this list.

Yeah I have installed it already :)

When you say lists... do you mean specific mangas? Because I can see 'popular tags' column for each manga, but not on any lists. And I dont see any "Available Custom Tags"... Sorry for bothering you so much!
Dec 3, 2012 2:54 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
With lists I mean users' anime or manga lists. I just enabled my tags, so see my list as an example:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Luna_&status=7

With the script you are now able to filter my list by tags.

These tags are user specific, every user can add their own tags. Some people (mis)use the tags for comments though because of two things:
1. The MAL internal filtering function for tags is still broken and not everyone knows about this userscript.
2. They want to have comments visibly displayed in their list.

And most people don't use tags at all, so on their lists the userscript doesn't show you anything.

"Popular Tags" on anime/manga entries are generated from user lists, but I think this function is broken too, newer entries don't have popular tags anymore.

Edit:
You can enable tags for your own list here.
LunaDec 3, 2012 3:01 AM
Dec 3, 2012 4:10 AM
Dec 2012
Thank you! I thought that I had enabled the tags for my list, but I apparently didnt. That's why I was very confused when I couldnt see my tags >_>

But thank you! I would have gone around in total confusion without you. And do you know if the MAL tags filtering function will be fixed? Or is it a lost case?
Dec 3, 2012 12:08 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I think for the anime list tags are enabled by default, but that's not the case for the manga list (I don't know why not). I'm glad it's working for you now :)

If it's possible to fix it, then it will be fixed, but I don't know when.
Dec 4, 2012 3:42 PM

Jun 2008
It's nice of Ash88 to try to help out but i have to wonder after more than 2 years with the problem being unfixed was the problem deleted from the to do list? Is there a chance that just because some user decided to give a little help you guys decided to stop bothering? Just saying because 2.5 years isn't exactly a small wait here.
When Kineta first said "It'll be back sometime." am certain that most users didn't think that the "sometime" could reach 3 years and maybe more.
Dec 4, 2012 4:16 PM

Aug 2010
From what I know, MAL doesn't have a full time developer, that being the sole reason for suggestions not being transformed into code and things around not getting fixed. Xinil is doing some code work from time to time and that's all. Until Crave hires someone specifically for MAL, I doubt MAL will go forward code-wise in the near future. (and it's a shame, since there are so many nice suggestions out here, not mentioning a lot of fixing to do)

Note that I might be wrong, since I don't know a lot about MAL and its 'inner works'.
koleareDec 4, 2012 4:20 PM
Dec 4, 2012 11:41 PM

Jun 2008
koleare said:
From what I know, MAL doesn't have a full time developer, that being the sole reason for suggestions not being transformed into code and things around not getting fixed. Xinil is doing some code work from time to time and that's all. Until Crave hires someone specifically for MAL, I doubt MAL will go forward code-wise in the near future. (and it's a shame, since there are so many nice suggestions out here, not mentioning a lot of fixing to do)

Note that I might be wrong, since I don't know a lot about MAL and its 'inner works'.

So i guess that means that Crave suck as an owner of the site and they are really cheap bastards that don't want to spend even a dollar on hiring someone?
Dec 5, 2012 12:01 AM

Aug 2010
Monad said:
So i guess that means that Crave suck as an owner of the site and they are really cheap bastards that don't want to spend even a dollar on hiring someone?
I don't see it that way. My rough estimation is that MAL's monthly running cost might even go up to five digits. Even four digits are a lot. MAL is a big site, after all.

Also, hiring a developer brings some issues.

The first will be money, of course. Crave added more adds because MAL was going into the red.
The second is the code itself. It might take a while for someone unaccustomed to get the feel of MAL's code.
Dec 11, 2012 11:19 PM

Jan 2009
I absolutely love this add-on, and use it on my list constantly... but now I've hit that awful "All Anime is disabled because your list has over 1500 entries" limitation, so I can only view tags one category at a time... and when I use my tags, I like seeing ALL my anime that has a certain tag (like, both what I've completed and what I have on hold at the same time). Is there any sort of work around to get an entire listing of all anime with a certain tag when the "All Anime" category has been disabled due to the 1500 series limit? (Or does anyone know of another useful Greasemonkey userscript that somehow disables/by-passes the disabling of All Anime when having over 1500 entries?)
Dec 16, 2012 11:39 AM

Jan 2011
Monad said:
I don't know what's going on there in the background, but if the current devs are working gratis, then I personally think, the fact that the website is completely free to use for anyone is already good enough.

mastress said:
I absolutely love this add-on, and use it on my list constantly... but now I've hit that awful "All Anime is disabled because your list has over 1500 entries" limitation, so I can only view tags one category at a time... and when I use my tags, I like seeing ALL my anime that has a certain tag (like, both what I've completed and what I have on hold at the same time). Is there any sort of work around to get an entire listing of all anime with a certain tag when the "All Anime" category has been disabled due to the 1500 series limit? (Or does anyone know of another useful Greasemonkey userscript that somehow disables/by-passes the disabling of All Anime when having over 1500 entries?)
There is a limit to entries in the «all» category? Wow, I didn't know that. It may be possible to get round with userscript, but I do not know for sure, and I can't tell if I'm gonna try it. But I'll make some thoughts about...

Luna_ said:
These tags are user specific, every user can add their own tags. Some people (mis)use the tags for comments though because of two things:
1. The MAL internal filtering function for tags is still broken and not everyone knows about this userscript.
2. They want to have comments visibly displayed in their list.
Actually, comments are displayed in the lists. You just need to click on the «More» link to the right of the anime title. But you probably knew that...
Ash88Dec 16, 2012 12:11 PM
Jan 24, 2013 4:32 PM
Oct 2012
The same for me. I clicked "Slice of Life" and all my list appeared on the screen.
Jan 24, 2013 4:35 PM

Nov 2010
Teh_Moura said:
The same for me. I clicked "Slice of Life" and all my list appeared on the screen.
Yes that is because the tags system is not working right now. Though if you download the script linked here, of course if you have greasemonkey(which is a free firefox add on, I believe chrome has one too) then you can get it working. So that on your list you can click a tag either from a drop down menu or next to the anime and have you see only anime with that tagged. It also works when you go into other's lists.
Mar 9, 2013 6:59 AM

Jan 2011
I saw in my server log today that some people are still trying to download the fix from the old address.

It's not available there any more! You can get it on http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/150384.

Also, please, consider joining MAL Custom Tags Club.
Mar 13, 2014 9:23 AM
Sep 2013
same here!! i mean, whats the point of tags if they dont work?
Jul 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Aug 2011
Tags still don't work? After all this time?
Jul 26, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2009
issen-ken-taka said:
Tags still don't work? After all this time?

http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/150384
Jul 26, 2014 12:57 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
[b]Tags still don't work as they are designed to, without installing additional software, after all this time?[b]
Jul 26, 2014 1:11 PM
Dec 2011
nx6 said:
[b]Tags still don't work as they are designed to, without installing additional software, after all this time?[b]

Yup
May 8, 2015 8:17 PM

Feb 2008
MAL has enabled tags filter now!!!
May 9, 2015 12:20 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
Yaya-chan said:

Yeah, I realized it last week. I don't know when they fixed it as they never made an announcement. I was looking for one so I could say THANK YOU to them for fixing it. :-)
Jun 15, 2015 9:39 PM
Jun 2015
nx6 said:
Yaya-chan said:

Yeah, I realized it last week. I don't know when they fixed it as they never made an announcement. I was looking for one so I could say THANK YOU to them for fixing it. :-)

REALLY?! How do you enable it? I've been struggling for a while now ):
Jun 16, 2015 12:11 AM

Oct 2009
tammymnt said:
REALLY?! How do you enable it? I've been struggling for a while now ):

You don't need to enable anything, it already works. What exactly do you expect to see?
Alternatively, here's a (now obsolete) userscript that used to repair the tags while they were still broken: http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/150384
Jun 16, 2015 3:57 AM

Jun 2013
Though it seems to work only when there aren't any spaces in the tag.
Jun 19, 2015 1:09 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
Tags are meant to be simple descriptors, I think the assumption is they will be one word.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

2 by deg »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by GARFIELDD666 »»
12 hours ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
Yesterday, 6:03 PM

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.