Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 3, 2008 9:56 AM

Apr 2008
Just finished watching episode two...spent most of it trying to work out what was going on, and suspecting I probably knew! But that was a pretty good episode.
May 3, 2008 10:55 AM

Jul 2007
This episode definitely won me over on this series... It's turning into a show that really forces you to pay attention and think. And the setting is amazing, I'm a sucker for bizarre dystopian futures!

oh, these little earthquakes
May 10, 2008 4:34 PM

Apr 2008
woah weird sex. A babe magnet who is fugly. And a very weird but cleverly written story. This is hot.
May 12, 2008 1:28 PM
Dec 2007
'Organs have failed". HAHAHAHAHA.

Still very good, one of the best series of this season (but Kurenai is definitely the best anime so far ;)).

Hmmm I think you misunderstood something about Kurenai to say that AnimusNathan. If you consider the show from a "normal" point of view and not an "otaku" point of view, you'll realize how great it is, and all the references and subtlety behind this title (forget about lolis, harem or other misconceptions like that, this show is not made for this purpose anyway). Everything is perfect in Kurenai, honestly, from character relationships to music, atmosphere, script and even the technical side, there's not even a weak point. It's far above anything made in 2008 (even Shigofumi).
JacutMay 12, 2008 2:59 PM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 12, 2008 1:53 PM
Jun 2007
Jacut said:
'Organs have failed". HAHAHAHAHA.

Still very good, one of the best series of this season (but Kurenai is definitely the best anime so far ;)).

Kurenai looks good, but it's just harem/loli fanservice.

May 14, 2008 4:33 AM

Feb 2007
I hate school assignments. It's preventing me from watching Kaiba.

Finally watched the second episode. The world of Kaiba is amazing and quite disturbing at the same time. The visuals and sound was great as usual. I'm left intrigued after watching the events unfold; still trying to completely understand everything that actually happened. The thing that stands out the most so far though is the amount of mature themes displayed in just these first two episodes.

Kaiba is definitely the best anime this season. As for Kurenai, I can't really compare it, since I haven't started it.
May 14, 2008 2:20 PM
Jan 2008
Selfcest-gone-wrong?

This is all kinds of delicious!
May 15, 2008 1:42 PM

Feb 2008
Whoa, this episode was great! Things seem to be getting really interesting.
I just wonder why Kaiba didn't try to get his body back.
May 21, 2008 1:28 AM

Feb 2008
This is starting to grow on me more and more. And the OP is one of my favorites this season.
Jul 28, 2008 4:27 PM

Jan 2008
Its like diluting William Gibson into the anime-blender circa 1960, lol. 2 episodes in, this is more cyberpunk than mediocrity like Ergo Proxy and Appleseed with their endless exposition.

Immerse the viewer in a future world but dont talk down to them. Kaiba gets it right.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 11, 2009 7:15 AM

Nov 2007
I didn't exactly KNOW this was R+ and when the whole "Ur so deep inside me" scene kinda made me flip out TuT; but only because my mom was behind me and I wasn't sure what was going on

Oct 21, 2009 2:19 PM

May 2009
Hummm... I kinda feel like an outsider in the room.

I dun know people, either I'm plain stupid or i just didn't get what the fuck was happening. AT ALL.

I am so confused T_T
Jan 16, 2010 11:16 AM

Sep 2008
very disturbing. And a bit confusing. It took me a while to figure out that Kaiba's body has been hijacked...I think that's because I might have skipped some parts cuz I wasn't alone in the room :P and I also didn't understand why butters Gf left behind those golden petals which I think are memories of the dead but no one else did. The sheriff said she hadn't converted fully or something...what does that mean, that she was a minor? or her body was fresh :S .
I found the first ep to be better. The whole memories-in-a-cone concept with the crazy artwork really threw me off. The two chase scenes and the part where the community is trying out memories to find their people - it was so good, and so funny.
eyerokJan 18, 2010 6:56 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 19, 2010 1:59 AM

Nov 2009
Damn, that was... weird. This show has a lot explaining to do.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Aug 24, 2010 2:12 PM

Jan 2010
is the action taking place inside a autistic person's head?:)
what's with the brain map xD

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 15, 2010 5:28 AM

Jun 2010
eyerok said:
.... I also didn't understand why butters Gf left behind those golden petals which I think are memories of the dead but no one else did. The sheriff said she hadn't converted fully or something...what does that mean, that she was a minor? or her body was fresh :S .

I thought the golden petals was memories as well, but what you wrote made me unsure. Thought it looked like what was coming out of the industrial building where memories was leaking out into space. But memories are stored in cones :P I can't make any sence out of this.
I wonder too what they ment by "hadn't converted"...
Apr 15, 2011 3:57 AM

Aug 2010
This whole episode had my jaw wide open, not because it was interesting but really confusing for me at some parts....

Later half had me confused the most.

Anomalous said:
This episode definitely won me over on this series... It's turning into a show that really forces you to pay attention and think. And the setting is amazing, I'm a sucker for bizarre dystopian futures!
This!
Jul 3, 2011 8:40 AM

Jan 2010
I don't know what I'm watching here, but I know it's something special.
Nov 6, 2011 9:39 AM

May 2010
Great episode. The plot is really interesting. Memories can be copied to another body and thus double-loading. Awesome.

The things that left me confused are the woman's memory (Daddy-daughter) and "not yet converted" scene.

Also, why did she go explode?? O_o

I have to watch it 2 times to grasp most of the parts. Damn, I must be more attentive to every scene coz this is a serious business.
Aug 1, 2012 8:04 AM

Sep 2008
This episode was different than the first. More explanations and the comedy/ero fragments overflowed it. I think it was more interesting than the first one. Still a mystery, that world :O
Dec 26, 2012 9:18 PM

Mar 2009
Watching this episode after the first made me feel like I had missed something in between.
But wow, the feelings when
were disturbing.
I'm a little confused though...
And what was all that stretching business.

Edit - nevermind, he's in the big body. So who's in the flying thing?
Apr 7, 2013 9:47 AM

Dec 2011
Oh Butter, you dog you! :)

Fuck this anime is so cool. This anime is definitely something you have to pay attention to if you even miss one piece of it things can get confusing. My take on it so far is that Kaiba has lost his memories and woke up in some random place. He then get smuggled on to the space ship by that seemingly heroic type of dude to try to escape as bad peepz were obviously after him.

It's important to remember that one of the bad peepz seemed to recognize the strange mark on his belly and tried to capture Kaiba before the ship took off.

Another key piece is that it seems like perhaps his girlfriend is a leader of some sort of rebel group.

Kaiba changed bodies in to the big stuffed looking thing to avoid suspicion I believe or perhaps simply because that perverted lady wanted to use it. And I'm not even sure who the small flying thing is though unfortunately.

Butter was a fucking pimp/playa/ sexual slave (according to big tits) that was playing women and having them help him smuggle memories on board.

And I think the disturbingly crazy sex scene was already explained as best as it could be lmao.

I love the way the story is told to us in a fast paced and subtle way, forcing us to think and pay attention.

LayedBackApr 7, 2013 10:05 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2013 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
Love the atmosphere.
Continues to be great.
May 29, 2013 9:16 AM

May 2012
Dafuq did I just watch that interpreted sex scene and those oversized breasts lolwut? Well that sure was interesting, that ending pop lolwut? Pretty weird but I like it :p

Lets see what's next!
Jul 2, 2013 9:20 PM
Aug 2011
Well this show certainly doesn't hold your hand and walk you through things.
Aug 1, 2013 9:25 PM

Dec 2012
If Neiro was such a recognizable terrorist then why didn't the chick say anything? Why is there an elevator thingy and windows in the baggage department? Wasn't Butter dead, wtf was up with him peeping? There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies as well. I'm sure most of my questions will be explained, but I do have a feeling, or just a suspicion, that plot holes may get overlooked in this show because defenders can just ambiguously claim "well, you didn't get it" and hide behind the complexity of the plot.

I wonder whether Popo sold him to that lady for sexual purposes or not.

This show has a great sense of style and humor though. Good stuff.
PolyphemusAug 1, 2013 9:46 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Apr 14, 2014 3:21 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
parfaited said:
Well this show certainly doesn't hold your hand and walk you through things.

Nope...nope it doesn't. I am very confused as to what happened in that episode, or more like, why those things happened. But it's interesting, I like having to think about what I'm watching once in awhile.

In the beginning when the lady was opening her arms to "Kaiba" and "Kaiba" has that smirk on his face, I knew immediately that that was someone else in Kaiba's body. Really interesting ideas about memories transfer and bodies, reminds me of the philosophy class I took around this time last year and we talked about what constitutes the "self" or what makes you you.
Aug 11, 2014 11:58 AM

Nov 2013
What the hell is going on
Aug 15, 2014 12:05 PM

Nov 2013
Woah.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 1, 2014 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
Wow, this is so not child appropriate

Oct 27, 2014 11:24 PM

Jul 2008
Okay so if Kaiba is in the white doll, then who is in Kaiba's body and WTF with the two haired girl?!
Dec 21, 2014 2:49 PM

Oct 2014
wow this episode was seriously disturbing, wouldn't have expected these events to happen, this episode had so many ambiguous happenings that i hope would be clarified afterwords but overall the quality of the series is increasing
" Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future. "
Cloud Atlas
Dec 26, 2014 2:35 PM

Dec 2012
Nice ep. Ended faster than before. I don't understand the focus on those characters but some things were explained.
Dec 29, 2014 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
wow i can see how this would be disturbing to some, but i like it, quite a bit actually.

you really got to pay attention to figure out whats going on even then it can be a bit confusing.

thought i missed something when i didn't know who the little flying thing was but i guess not.

not sure why Kaiba left his body behind but i'm not too concerned about it at the moment as i feel like that will come back somehow

this anime continues to get more and more interesting
Jul 27, 2015 3:57 PM

Jul 2014
What the hell was all that melting and boiling and other stuff? xD
Masturbating just went on a whole new level xD
But why would Kaiba exchange his body? e.e
Aug 5, 2015 5:20 AM

Jul 2014
I'm so lost. What the hell is going on? What's with the hippo? Nothing makes sense.
Aug 20, 2015 6:18 PM

Feb 2013
Memory sex looks pretty intense
Aug 28, 2015 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
That sex scene was 11/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 1, 2015 11:47 PM

Oct 2012
Really weird. But I can't stop watching it.
Nov 14, 2015 10:54 PM
Jul 2015
Well, I'm following what's happened so far well enough. I take it Kaiba had his mind switched out into some dorky little flying guy. But whose the beefy white one?

And oh god what a surreal sex scene.

Edit: how did I miss the obvious line saying that Kaiba WAS the big white guy? Ugh, I'm too inattentive.
Nov 26, 2015 11:25 PM

Nov 2014
This show is so weird.

Nov 29, 2015 4:40 AM

Oct 2015
danieltortoisee said:
I'm so lost. What the hell is going on? What's with the hippo? Nothing makes sense.

This was my reaction :P I was very tired when I watched it which meant I only realised that the hippo was Kaiba halfway through episode 3.

Sex scene, freaky fanservice and cheesy humour were meh. Episode 1 was better.
Dec 13, 2015 6:50 AM

Jul 2015
...what was the point of that sex scene? Hell, what was the point of that female character?

Still, I enjoyed this episode. I'm really liking this whole new world, and I have the feeling that there's even more stuff to explain about it (kinda obvious since I'm only in episode 2).
♪♪ All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be ♪♪

Jan 15, 2016 11:34 AM

Mar 2014
-Koga- said:
...what was the point of that sex scene? Hell, what was the point of that female character?

Still, I enjoyed this episode. I'm really liking this whole new world, and I have the feeling that there's even more stuff to explain about it (kinda obvious since I'm only in episode 2).

I feel like the sex scene was abstract enough to have it be there as an exploration of what sex is like within this universe, where bodies can be changed at will. It explored the sexual limits people are willing to go to because of that, as well as the fulfillment of people's desires (such as that guy who created that sex doll).

Not sure there's anything more to it than that, but I think it was pretty interesting on it's own merits... especially since it was so odd and unique.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 28, 2016 5:33 PM

Feb 2012
So this woman smuggles little kids across the galaxy, and is paid not with money but with the privilege of using their bodies as selfcest boytoys? And she's so well known for this service that Popo went straight to her?

Rich people, seriously.
Jul 31, 2016 12:35 PM

Mar 2010
Well, that was... confusing. Awesome, but confusing. Still, I'm pretty sure I understood it all aside from Butter showing up during the sex scene? What was that supposed to mean?
Anyway, yeah, pretty sure Neiro is that green thingy. I rewatched the ending of the first episode again and it indeed looked like they were extracting her from her body.
Dec 10, 2016 9:15 AM

Apr 2015
Kaiba just witnessed himself banging a chick to death. 10/10
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 8, 2017 11:21 PM
Mar 2015
Can someone please explain me that sex scene? Oh, and also that story with that guy who made fell in love all those girls...Help me plz, my mind is fucked up
Mar 9, 2017 11:37 AM

Jun 2016
Butter seems to be quite the womanizer. Seemed, rather - I suppose he's gloop now.
Dec 25, 2017 5:00 PM

Jan 2017
So the girl had sex with herself while Kaiba watched her from another body?

You got my attention series hahaha.

No, seriously that aside, i love how the whole concept of 'immortality' is played out in the series. Also, it's highly political; just the rich can access to such privilege while the poor are robbed both from their memories and bodies. Incredible.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 2, 2008

115 by hitoki27 »»
Yesterday, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 8, 2008

66 by hitoki27 »»
Yesterday, 8:57 PM

» I’m indifferent to the point of dropping it

Sagepool - Apr 13

1 by TRC_Randy »»
Apr 28, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Netforce - Aug 7, 2008

153 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.