Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2008 3:19 PM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well after seeing the movie, the cg was verry beautiful and the music too, but it deviates from the original story from the game when it starts the 2/3 part of the movie, they added some new scenes and deleted alot of scenes, alot of key characters where left out of the movie like endrance for example, well it was to be expected, they were trying to put a 120 hour game into a 1 and half hour movie
well anyway i give it a 8/10,
how about u guys, what do u think about the movie?
btw: parody mode is verry funny
GrumpyFeloApr 19, 2008 3:30 PM

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Apr 19, 2008 3:58 PM

Aug 2007
Ehh, the movie was good, CG was excellent, Haseo's emo facial contortions were beyond epic, but they really skimped on a lot of stuff.

Now, Parody Mode, THAT was awesome! I demand more Alkaid strippage! (A Pi is fine, too)
Apr 19, 2008 4:12 PM

Sep 2007
To be honest, I found it boring and long winded. The games were a lot of fun, but when you see the story concentrated like this, you realize just how mediocre it really is.
Apr 19, 2008 8:53 PM

Dec 2007
people who hasnt play the game will find it more interesting since they dont know the game story

Apr 19, 2008 9:16 PM

Jul 2007
I enjoyed the movie very much, especially the fights, but yea i was a little sad that the other characters was excluded
- parody mode was funny =)
Everyone's dreams is special, no matter how terribly insignificant or grand it may be,
there's is no difference between any of them
- Ovan -
Apr 20, 2008 8:15 PM

Apr 2008
I really enjoyed the movie. I think that people who haven't played the games would get bored and confused. I've played all of the .hack series and love them all. I liked seeing a different point of view with the movie. If it was nothing but the cut scenes from the games, what would the point have been to watch it? I was a little sad not to see Silabus and Gaspard but there was only so much time in the movie.

The pardoy was a waste of my time to watch though. Yawn. There was so much potential for good laughs completely missed. :(
Apr 21, 2008 10:42 PM

Aug 2007
The movie was nice,but still to know and experince the whole story u need to play the game ^_^
and the parody was pretty funny ;D
Apr 24, 2008 8:48 AM

Nov 2007
A impressionnant movie !! I didn't play again to the game .hack//GU but i enjoy very very much it !
Excellent realisation and animation ! ....
I want to play at the game T___T ... why this game isn't out in France ???

Apr 24, 2008 6:00 PM

Dec 2007
ZGMF_Balmung said:
A impressionnant movie !! I didn't play again to the game .hack//GU but i enjoy very very much it !
Excellent realisation and animation ! ....
I want to play at the game T___T ... why this game isn't out in France ???

if u think the movie is good, the story from the game even better

Apr 27, 2008 8:10 PM

Apr 2007
Atoli was 100x more tolerable (likeable even) with Kawasumi VAing. The games would have been so much easier to play if they just gave you the option to use the original voices. Personally, I'm glad they decided to focus on just Atoli, Haseo, and Ovan, and I liked some of the changes they made to the plot. The new CG was nice, too. Overall though, I agree with Foggle.

Also surprised and relieved to see most of the posters in this thread have played the games. I thought this thread was just going to be full of posts like "LOL WUT?"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2008 8:47 PM

Oct 2007
The beginning was ok, the middle was probably my favorite part and the ending was just...not what i wanted :P

Havent watched the parody movie yet but after Rosencruez said about Strippage, makes me WANNA watch it :P

EDIT: The parody movie was at least 10x better then the regular movie lol
Icy-nee-sanApr 28, 2008 8:57 PM
Apr 29, 2008 10:09 PM

Dec 2007
Shao said:
The beginning was ok, the middle was probably my favorite part and the ending was just...not what i wanted :P

Havent watched the parody movie yet but after Rosencruez said about Strippage, makes me WANNA watch it :P

EDIT: The parody movie was at least 10x better then the regular movie lol

i was hoping for kiss when this hug each other when they were going up

May 11, 2008 8:25 AM

Aug 2007
Even if I didn't play the games, I enjoyed the movie. The CG and the sound were fine, too. In the beginning I hated this Shino-whining, but after Atoli gets more involved, I really enjoyed it. Sadly, there wasn't many information about Ovans motives to kill Shino...
If history is to be changed, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed, I must simply laugh!
May 15, 2008 9:59 PM

Jul 2007
Ovan's motives -
tchu3May 20, 2008 6:16 AM
Everyone's dreams is special, no matter how terribly insignificant or grand it may be,
there's is no difference between any of them
- Ovan -
May 26, 2008 9:40 AM
Dec 2007
Hmmm really a good movie, and probably the best .hack// anime. I didn't play the games, maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 28, 2008 6:28 AM

Feb 2008
Movie has been licensed in Europe before the US,could this be a sign for the GU games to be released in the UK soon.
Jun 19, 2008 2:14 AM

Jun 2007
felo said:
people who hasnt play the game will find it more interesting since they dont know the game story

I kind of disagree. I haven't played the game yet but I have read most of the manga and I found the movie's story way to "choppy". You can clearly tell theres a lot missing. Not to mention every time a major scene ended, there was a long gap of blackness or whiteness that basically felt like a game loading screen. Graphics wise this movie was amazing. It was really done nice and I wouldn't expect anything less for a .hack movie.

I'm not sure how close the manga is to the game but there was some major changes to the story in the movie. Didn't Haseo get his avatar during one of his PK tournament matches with someone else that had an avatar? At least thats what happened in the manga. I was a bit disappointed in the movie when it just randomly pops out because of his emotions.
May 2, 2009 6:42 PM

Apr 2008
It was tooo short. They had to add a bit more to it so it does not look so chopped.

Yet it was enjoyable.
May 17, 2009 8:41 AM

Mar 2008
I'm currently playing the game (just started with Redemption) and couldn't wait to watch this movie.
I was spoilered a lot beforehand, so I didn't care that I haven't finished the game yet xD'
I found it enjoyable. The movie supports Atoli x Haseo - yay! ^_^

The beginning was pretty rushed, but followed the game more or less well (~0.00-0.30, Rebirth).
In my opinion the Atoli-classroom scene was better than the one in the game series (~0.30-1.00, Reminisce).
Well, I cannot compare the ending scene of the movie with the game xD' (~1.00-1.30, Redemption).

But I have to agree with those who say the movie is for people wo actually played the game. If you watch it without having played it, you probably don't get the story at all :/
Dec 25, 2009 3:09 AM

Oct 2008
I haven't played the game, but I have watched .hack//roots which kinda follows the same storyline, but I prefer the movie. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 25, 2009 6:36 AM

Feb 2008
.hack//Roots is the prequel to the .hack//GU game series.
Jan 22, 2010 5:32 PM
Aug 2007
Worst .hack anime I've seen so far. Terrible story but wonderful art. And the Parody Mode wasn't funny at all. I was really looking forward to this one, too. :<
Jan 15, 2014 10:09 PM

Jan 2013
Cool
COOL
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Oct 2, 2020 9:05 PM

May 2012
To be honest it almost never happens that a movie sequel and a complete cgi one for that matter made for such a fantastic ending of the dot hack roots series.

And while I publiy dislike cgi for anime, with this being completely game based it actually was really lovely, the only remark I have would be the background music.
Other than that that the search to rescue Shion changed to be a replacement was a bit of a lesser part of it, but then again we did get the acknowledgement that she came out of her coma and is alive like probably a lot of others that were at that time in a similar state due to AIDA.

The post credits scene made it even more amazing than it already was and I still love how everything of this series is connected in the way of 'the world' and still allowed room for a whole lot of expansion.

Quite an enjoyable movie for sure!
Jan 20, 2021 6:25 AM
Apr 2016
I really enjoyed the melancholic feeling/atmosphere the prequels had, but it's gone with this irky CGI. Not a fan of this series altogether, so this was a major detriment to any enjoyment I had to begin with.
Mar 5, 2022 12:04 PM

Feb 2021
Well, not like I was expecting an acceptable sequel to .hack//roots. Might as well complete the series since I'm already this far
CrackMar 5, 2022 12:07 PM
Apr 27, 2023 1:38 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 3.5
[Art/Animation] - 3.5
[Sound/Music] - 3
[M-Character] - 3.5
[S-Character] - 3
[Enjoyment] - 3
[Overall] - 3
I understood the story form watching the other anime show of G.U but never played the video games it's based on. I was a bit lost but I did like the ending to the story and it help me understand what was going on in this place they call THE WORLD.

More topics from this board

» Trilogy or Returner first?

Salokannel2 - Feb 28, 2019

5 by Salokannel2 »»
Feb 24, 2021 7:44 AM

» Hack//Roots closure

theanimefreak95 - Apr 4, 2015

4 by jefferye »»
Jun 17, 2015 10:06 PM

» .hack//G.U. Trilogy

nikolai_131 - Oct 23, 2007

24 by haseo16 »»
Mar 29, 2010 7:39 AM

» after the credits

sesgel - Apr 19, 2008

5 by Zoki-chan »»
May 2, 2008 2:49 PM

» Sub?

Vince - Mar 31, 2008

3 by Chicken008 »»
Apr 12, 2008 11:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.