Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
There's some personal rivalry going down this episode and it seems the Shippou family is at the center of it. Never really liked Takuma in this show but at least they are settling the score in a battle rather than bicker like children.

The family drama this season is definitely hitting its dramatic points. I wasn't impressed with Takuma's performance this episode though, as it seems he needs to improve a lot more. Tatsuya still took business like usual.
Apr 26, 7:58 AM
Aug 2022
Finally tatsuya & takuma faced off each other in a duel.
Ricky16Apr 26, 8:07 AM
Apr 26, 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
new arc info (not just key visual)
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/571161
tsubasaloverApr 26, 8:52 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 26, 8:01 AM

Dec 2021
Finally, some action and Shizuku content—hell yeah.

The stellar reactor experiment was a stunning success, making headlines everywhere. However, Shippou, who was assured by her father that the Saegusa family would handle the situation with Rep. Kenda, believes they used Tatsuya to take credit for their achievements. She lashes out at Kasumi, who happens to be passing by.

Unable to ignore the insult to his family, Kasumi and Shippou prepare to duel using magic. But before they can start, the disciplinary committee intervenes and arrests them. To resolve the animosity between them, Tatsuya suggests a match with clear winners and losers.

I was mistaken last episode; this is the official final episode of the Double Seven arc. Onto the next arc and ED! I guess they'll keep the OP but change the visuals or something.

Apr 26, 8:22 AM

Nov 2010
It's a cool line of him who has his own territory (saying "I cannot afford to lose in this range"):
"I, the washout of proud family of mine, shall deal with you."
Apr 26, 9:32 AM

Feb 2021
There is a scene after credits.
So this is actually the end of the Double Seven arc. I liked how Shippou got something like a redemption arc at the end. Also I'm starting to ship him with Kasumi lol.
Btw from the replies last week I got that Double Seven refers either to the Saegusa sisters or the Saegusa and Shippou families (Both Saegusa (七草 lit. "seven grass") and Shippou (七宝 lit. "seven treasures") have the character for "seven")
Apr 26, 9:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I really hope this Shippou dude finally drops the shounen fury thing. It's getting old now. After seeing that display of real might, I hope he tempers his anger.

And boy, Maya is quite the looker , isn't she? A shame she's so manipulating and conniving.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 26, 9:56 AM
Feb 2018
Don't really get what this Shippou guy is doiung here. It's like the series would be fine without him.
Apr 26, 10:33 AM

Jun 2016
The scene at the beginning is just funny and stupid. Sawamura Maki was made into a one-shot character and just an actress, thank you Tatsuya. But in the original, her story was connected with the character Shippou and she manipulated and supported him for her own purposes. Their fate is even mentioned at the end of the light novel and makes you smile. Maki forced him to become a successful actor and act with her, thereby connecting magic and the film industry.
Apr 26, 10:35 AM
Senpai

May 2021
I have to admit that I really enjoyed this episode. I think it works even better in the light novel. However, if the two main characters weren't related by blood, I would enjoy it a lot more.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 26, 10:47 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The thing with fanatics is that they'll do anything if it allows them to get closer to their goal. Even involving innocent bystanders. Takuma literally is all rage but no brain. Using the air as a way to knock out an opponent is pretty interesting as magic goes. Takuma being punched lectured by Tomitsuka though was damm satisfying. Even more so when you consider the fact that he's also of the hundred families as well. The mock fight between Tatsuya and Tomitsuka while enjoyable also proved to be a very good lesson for Takuma as well. Here's hoping that this would make him think more on his actions. Looks like the Steeplechase arc is next up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 11:31 AM
Apr 2018
1. Shippou learned the hard way. One of the Saegusa twin comfort him, and hope we see character development in Shippou from now on.
2. Tomitsuka might be thinking he gave a challenge to Tatsuya. (It was a constrained space for the match, but Tatsuya was far from utilising his true power.)
3. Even the Yotsuba head calling Tatsuya "Monster". She knows her odds of beating Tatsuya are very less.
Apr 26, 11:32 AM
Apr 2018
Reply to ghtyujkkpkohkjb
Don't really get what this Shippou guy is doiung here. It's like the series would be fine without him.
@ghtyujkkpkohkjb I see this as a starting point of character development in Shippou.
Apr 26, 11:48 AM

Feb 2019
Banger Mahouka episode, ton of action in this one. I’m hoping this finally wraps up the Shippou insecurity arc and he can start growing as a person. The constant little dick energy he has with the Saegusa twins and needing to validate himself has become grating.

Like pulling up on Kasumi to fight on campus randomly, what did you think was gonna happen. Of course the upperclassmen would break it up… Tatsuya’s idea to have them just settle things with a fight was a good idea, too bad we didn’t get a proper result to their fight.

Glad Tomitsuka punched the shit out of Shippou for being disrespectful to Tatsuya. He’s just been unnecessarily antagonistic towards everyone this entire time and needed that. Having the two of them fight to show the skill gap and then the Tomitsuka vs Tatsuya fight to further reinforce that really seems to have done the trick and got Shippou re-evaluating his life choices. Here’s someone who he called a “weed” and he’s still stronger than anyone else.

And that ending… yea, I guess I should’ve seen the eventual Kasumi-Shippou ship developing. Classic enemies to lovers trope. Will do him some good to just focus on improving himself as a magician rather than worrying about everyone else and all this bloodline stuff.

Good episode that wrapped up this mini arc, on to the next starting next week. Fights were so well done today!
Marinate1016Apr 26, 12:22 PM
Apr 26, 12:25 PM

May 2021
that shippou boy was/is so irritating istg, could really do without him. glad the double7 arc wrapped up, was v good! at least maya knows how monstrous tatsuya actually is.
who is actually animating/cooking for these typa cuts in the show so far? they look really good?!!!
Apr 26, 12:38 PM

Feb 2011
fantastic episode and the ending was great.

shippou lost the battle and the war

Apr 26, 12:38 PM
Aug 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
Finally, some action and Shizuku content—hell yeah.

The stellar reactor experiment was a stunning success, making headlines everywhere. However, Shippou, who was assured by her father that the Saegusa family would handle the situation with Rep. Kenda, believes they used Tatsuya to take credit for their achievements. She lashes out at Kasumi, who happens to be passing by.

Unable to ignore the insult to his family, Kasumi and Shippou prepare to duel using magic. But before they can start, the disciplinary committee intervenes and arrests them. To resolve the animosity between them, Tatsuya suggests a match with clear winners and losers.

I was mistaken last episode; this is the official final episode of the Double Seven arc. Onto the next arc and ED! I guess they'll keep the OP but change the visuals or something.
@IzanaSolos i don't think so, the op already showed contents from 3 arcs so i don't think they will change the visual for the op.
Anyway, the next ed song is weird imo, i hope the visual will make up for it
Apr 26, 2:20 PM
May 2017
Nobody notice my Zhou
Apr 26, 2:29 PM

Aug 2015
its been A WHILE since this anime series got any action, and im happy they finally did it lmao.
Apr 26, 2:40 PM
Apr 2021
What a banger of an episode this was. Shippou got a dose of reality check. That punch from Tomistuka was deserving of Shippou. But the highlight of the episode was Tatsuya vs Tomitsuka. If I'm being perfectly honest, Tatsuya struggled in the fight. Tomitsuka was definitely holding the advantage against him but this is Tatsuya we're talking about and that whole fight was him learning how his opponent's abilities work. This fight was like a learning session for him. And ending the episode with Maya acknowledging how monstrous Tatsuya is the perfect way to start off the next arc.
Apr 26, 3:03 PM

Sep 2018
Man, great episode, easily the best so far.
Apr 26, 3:14 PM

May 2021
Well this episode felt about 5 minutes long. What a heater!

Kasumi is truly Mayumi's imouto, just a stand up person. Shippou is super punchable, glad he got punched multiple times by Tomitsuka, who by the way is a total badass. I love his zero range technique, dude is a smaller more offensive Jumonji. The absolute aura that Miyuki had after listening to Shippou trash talk Tatsuya was just gold. She wanted Tatsuya to show him up so badly.

OP and ED are perfection this season. I love the music in this series but I am really getting attached to these tracks in particular. The ED goes incredibly hard, banger music all around.
IzanaSolos said:
Shizuku content—hell yeah.
Hell yeah! Shizuku content is always welcome. Just waiting for some Erika content and I can rest easy.
Apr 26, 4:27 PM

Feb 2019
finally, shippou got served. and he watched as two of his upperclassman duke it out and were giving it their all. that was the bucket of ice cold reality thrown his way & made him realize he wasn't really all that lol
Apr 26, 4:42 PM
Mar 2019
Shippou got what he deserved for his arrogance. The guy has a lot of hidden anger. I'm not liking him so far, but if he learns from this, and learns to focus his anger properly he coudl be a better Sith---magic user.
Apr 26, 5:40 PM
Mar 2023
Ah a good old fight, and Tatsuya being a badass.
Apr 26, 6:59 PM
Apr 2018
Very satisfying episode. Porcupine boy got a serious reality check. He is weak, untrained, lacks control, self awareness, hides his head in the sand. His illusions were stripped to the bone. That & that punch combo was so satisfying after all that angry whining for episodes...
Why are the upperclassmen so strong? Non-stop training, full understanding of their abilities & trying to optimize their use, unlike Shippou who immediately went into excuses/auto-illusion mode as soon as things didn't go his way during/after the first fight.
+ the others went through life & death experiences. Including Tomitsuka, who was on the protection team for his school while they were evacuating to the shelter during the attack at the end of season 1 (ep 23-24). & he was level headed. Unlike porcupine, he gave off the vibe here of knowing exactly the limits of his power & working hard to enhance & overcome. Probably why he wanted that fight with Tatsuya. Excellent training for him.
Apr 26, 7:09 PM
Oct 2022
Embient said:
There is a scene after credits.
So this is actually the end of the Double Seven arc. I liked how Shippou got something like a redemption arc at the end. Also I'm starting to ship him with Kasumi lol.
Btw from the replies last week I got that Double Seven refers either to the Saegusa sisters or the Saegusa and Shippou families (Both Saegusa (七草 lit. "seven grass") and Shippou (七宝 lit. "seven treasures") have the character for "seven")

Yeah, that’s it for this arc

Seems they deliberately left out Shippou’s… ahem, slightly spicy relationship with Maki though. And therefore also leaving out the part where she, in part, manipulated Shippou into being so openly hostile towards Tatsuya by making him think the Shiba siblings were actually magicians under the Saegusa family

Which feels a little sus, but the studio will probably blame it on time constraints

Seems they also elected to skip introducing Shizuku’s parents (AGAIN)
Apr 26, 8:58 PM

Dec 2021
First 3 eps felt ok. But now Its getting too rushed.
Hope to find that distinct person.
Apr 26, 9:07 PM

Nov 2014
Are you telling me that Shippou has never seen Tatsuya's fight against Claire Stanfield?
Shippou's character is so forced even for that type of character. Even that guy (Hattori?) from the very first episode wasn't that bad.
Tomitsuka has always been badass. I remember that scene in season 1 where he was helping in extracting out some students while fighting the Chinese alliance that later got nuked by Tatsuya.
Maya is so hot. A very hot mommy. I wonder if Miyuki will "grow" up like that? Gosh, I want to see more of her. Please send it to me if you find a stitched artwork of that last scene. She's more wifeable than all these schoolgirls combined. Mayumi comes at second.
mizukasaApr 26, 9:31 PM
Apr 26, 9:44 PM
Apr 2023
Shippou: "Why can't I win?"
Tatsuya: "Well, skill issue"
Apr 26, 10:36 PM
Mar 2015
Hard to fight someone who can make people disappear when he wants to do so
Apr 26, 10:51 PM

Apr 2013
Maybe it's just me but I'm finding the fight scene animation to be lacking. 8bit can do better.

For example in the movie when Leo and Erika were fighting stars. The camera is following the characters close-up as they're moving while doing shake effects (similar to how madhouse did it in s1), which makes it exciting to watch.

Whereas in this episode, there were scenes that felt stagnant. As if the camera is just on a stationary tripod... viewing the fight from a distance.
rsk_97Apr 26, 10:56 PM
Apr 26, 11:00 PM

Mar 2013
Nice. They finally, somehow, stopped the smug idiot's rampage. Let's look forward to his growth. (And I see a ship coming through)

What's more to look forward to is the defeat of that guy from C.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 27, 12:26 AM

Mar 2007
Shippou got owned several times.
* Once by the Saegusa twins.
* Once by his friend.
* Once by his friend who lost to our hero (showing the gap between them)
* And once by the tree that injured his fist, requiring a patch it job from the Saegusa twin that is surely a love interest? Oooo.

At least the current family head acknowledges that Tatsuya's strength is dangerous enough they need his sister to be the next head of the clan to ensure he stays loyal (to her).
Apr 27, 6:32 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Oh dear, look at that...
Match : Tatsuya vs Tomitsuka
Loser : Shippou

Even when it's someone else's duel he still lost

Also I'm not sure what happened to Kasumi, suddenly went 180 degrees to Shippou and even comforted him.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 27, 6:46 AM
Jan 2021
There are way less Onii-Samas this season than I expected, only 3 this episode
Apr 27, 6:46 AM

Oct 2017
Tatsuya nullifies their spell like it was nothing and then Shippou, you are just a weed. Lmao this guy's such a sore loser.

The fact that Maaya called Tatsuya a monster and that he's stronger than their family so they shouldn't antagonise him by any means goes to show that he's just on another level completely. The GOAT.
Apr 27, 6:59 AM

Jun 2016
omg finally we can see godsuya in action!!
hot milf auntie miyuki is fucking damn spicy !!
Apr 27, 10:45 AM

Feb 2014
Sometimes, the best way to solve a dispute is to have a fair fight, which was the case here with Shippou and the Saegusa twins. Despite being told the rules by Tatsuya, both sides did struggle to abide to them, hence why Tatsuya had to intervene. However, because of his tactics, Shippou lost be default, which also earned him a punch to the face by Tomitsuka, who then challenged him to a fight.

That battle, two days later, was very one sided and Shippou did get the heave defeat that he deserved. One thing I wasn't expecting was for Tomitsuka to then challenge Tatsuya to a fight as well and, to his credit, Tomitsuka did incredibly well, even landing a good hit on Tatsuya. That was as good as it got, as Tatsuya got serious and ended the fight in easy fashion, but my respect for Tomitsuka has spiked a lot. The boy has done good! =)

The scene between Shippou and Kasumi at the end was rather nice. Hopefully this will be the starting point of Shippou to drop his attitude towards the Saegusas and become a better person. Only time will tell if that happens or not.

This episode was very good overall. The action scenes were pretty good as was the character development. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next arc plays out.
Apr 27, 12:30 PM
Jun 2015
Reply to CorayyAnime
I have to admit that I really enjoyed this episode. I think it works even better in the light novel. However, if the two main characters weren't related by blood, I would enjoy it a lot more.
@CorayyAnime
I don't read the LN, but I read the manga
and I kind of miss the whole technical magic explanation/expositions that was given in the manga, which I'm sure in the LN also
though I understand that many people don't like the fight's flow sakuga getting interrupted by unnecessary pauses
Apr 27, 12:47 PM
May 2021
Best episode of the season so far 🔥. Those action scenes were clean af
Apr 27, 2:06 PM
May 2018
Jesus Shippou really is a piece of work
Apr 27, 6:04 PM

Oct 2016
Reply to tekkenshu7
Shippou: "Why can't I win?"
Tatsuya: "Well, skill issue"
@tekkenshu7 Exactly what I thought
Apr 27, 11:58 PM
Jun 2007
Wow an excellent match show down between two "senpai"s
Tatsuya is really GOATlike level even her "aunt" is wary of him
Apr 28, 4:30 AM

Apr 2019
Saegusa X Shipou ship is sailing, at least that's what it looked like to me, It seems that Miyuki is like their leash to Tatsuya, it's like her orders are absolute, Miyuki seems to have a strange aura when she told Tatsuya to fight and that he couldn't disobey no matter what. I wonder how the power scaling works within the Yotsuba family, if the Aunt says she can't beat Tatsuya but he can never go againts Miyuki and Miyuki's mom raised her to become loyal to the Yotsuba family, there seems to be a lot going on in their family. It seems that incest is definitely Tatsuya's choice considering he has no free will when it comes to Miyuki.
Apr 29, 4:59 PM
Mar 2019
Anothe insanely good episode.
Apr 29, 7:02 PM
Nov 2019
pertarungan shippou dan saegusa
My Candies :
Apr 29, 9:35 PM

Nov 2014
https://www.deviantart.com/purururun/art/Yotsuba-Maya-ver-1-1047172650

I stitched that image of Maya at the end of the episode. Idk how to post pics lol.
May 1, 4:44 AM

Dec 2010
At the start I was a bit, but the whole incident turned out into such a strong message that I was surprised to find it in a Magic School show like Mahouka (despite me being a diehard fan of it), rather than let's say a Sports story.

"If you want to get strong, then that's your problem. Your strength is your strength, I bet.", it's basically a paraphrased version of something my coach says often to the club members.

This episode was full of gorgeous imagery, but because of this forum's rules I will have to limit myself to only sharing the best one:

May 4, 5:12 AM
Mar 2020
Pacing is fast, I noticed several subplots rushed or neglected in adapting Double Seven Arc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3

34 by Meritas »»
7 hours ago

» Relevent enough for S4?

Ronninn - May 5

3 by rtarget »»
Yesterday, 5:21 AM

» Opening, Ending 1, Ending 2

MegamiRem - Apr 5

5 by Horizon248 »»
May 3, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 19

45 by Jorovie »»
Apr 28, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Mar 31

87 by Jorovie »»
Apr 28, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.